Jealousy

Country Meets Korean

*Key’s POV*

“Oh my gosh!” I shouted and covered my mouth.

“Sam!”

Suddenly that Greyson guy was by her side and helping her up. I hurried over the join them.

“Sam, are you crazy?! Why would you jump him like that? You’re lucky it wasn’t worse,” he said while helping to brush her off.

“Greyson I’m fine. And see, Sunbeam is sorry too,” she said as the horse came over and nuzzled her shoulder.

Suddenly Greyson turned to face me. “Did you know she was doing this?”

“Yeah,” I answered.

“Then why didn’t you stop her?!”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know-,”

“Oh that’s right; you’re from the city, so you don’t know anything about this hillbilly stuff.”

“Greyson stop! I’m fine!” Sam shouted. His face changed at the sound of her voice and he seemed to calm down. “I have to go finish mucking the stalls.” He walked away with clenched fists.

“I’m sorry about him,” Sam said to me. “He’s just kind of protective.”

“It’s okay. I would probably react the same way if my girlfriend fell off a horse.”

*Sam’s POV*

“I’m not his girlfriend,” I answered probably too quickly. “Um, why don’t you go inside? I’ll meet you in there when I’m finished putting Sunbeam away. It’s almost time for dinner anyway.”

I had to change the subject. The whole boyfriend-girlfriend thing between Greyson and me was kind of touchy. We knew we had feelings for each other, but we never made them known. The worst part was that when one of us started to like the other, the other usually wasn’t interested at that time. It was pretty complicated. There was another reason why I didn’t want Key to think Greyson was my boyfriend though. I found Key kind of cute. Though he wasn’t much of a man, there was some sort of charm about him that I found attractive.

When I finally came inside from putting away Sunbeam, dinner was ready. My mother had set up a place at the end of the table for Key, with my father and I on either side of him. Greyson sat in his usual place to my left, while my mother sat across from him. Though Greyson was a farm hand and lived in the guest house, he was considered part of the family and almost always ate with us.

“Greyson, how’s the new calf looking?” my father asked from across the table.

“She’s coming along just fine. I don’t think there’s anything to worry about anymore,” he answered.

“What was wrong with the baby cow?” Key asked me quietly.

“Oh, she was born two weeks early and was really weak. We didn’t think she was going to make it, but I guess she’s tougher than we thought.”

“Oh. Can you show me the cow after dinner?”

“Sure,” I smiled at him.

*Greyson’s POV*

“Sam took a spill today,” I said quickly. I didn’t like her and this Korean guy having their own little side conversations.

“Sam!” exclaimed Mrs. Talmar. “What did I tell you about being more careful?!”

“Mom, it was just a little fall, and I’m perfectly fine,” she reassured her mother.

I watched Sam as she talked, admiring the different shades of blonde in her hair, and getting lost in her sparkling brown eyes.

“She handled it well.” The Korean’s voice brought me out of my trance. “If it was me I probably would’ve cried.”

Everyone laughed at his comment.

“Key you’re too funny,” Sam smiled, putting her hand on his shoulder.

I felt my fist clench under the table. Why did I feel this way? Was I jealous of this city boy? 

 

 

Found this pic on tumblr and I had to use it! c: