Some bad luck

Borrowed Books

A/N: i do my best trying to spot mistakes before posting but it's very common that one or two slip through. i'd like to apologize for any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors that this chapter might contain.

 

 

*Jinsol's POV*

  "Come on, tell me she wasn't cute," Sooyoung says.

  Jiwoo rolls her eyes. "I never implied that she wasn't," she replies. Their bickering has been going on for a while.

  "Who are you talking about?" I ask. I've been spaced out this whole time.

  Sooyoung's face lights up. "This girl that we pass by just about every day," she says and Jiwoo sighs.

  I lean back in my chair, glancing at them both. "What's the problem, Jiwoo? Is she not worth the drooling?" I ask her.

  "It's not that," she says shaking her head. "It's just the fact that Sooyoung seems to be interested in someone new every other day."

  "Are you jealous because I didn't call you cute?" Sooyoung teases.

  Jiwoo scoffs yet I can't help but smile. They're so close but they have times where they argue over the smallest things. Most of the time it's about girls so I just stay quiet. I can't really say much other than things to defuse them. 

  "So...what's this girl's name?" I ask because it's gotten too quiet for my liking. 

  "Kahei," they say in unison.

  "But I think I've heard her friend call her something else..." Sooyoung trails off, "Vivi."

  I nod. "Ahhh."

  "I know you're not interested in this girl, let alone any girl but you should see her," she adds. 

  The class is finally coming to an end and I jolt out of my seat. This is my last period and I can finally leave. Thank god. I glance at Sooyoung who's busy writing down something in her notebook. Meanwhile, Jiwoo is...just staring at her.

  Does she...?, I think. For a second, I almost want to ask her but I decide not to. Not here anyway. 

  "Do you want to go eat?" Jiwoo asks, slinging on her backpack.

  "I have to head to the library first, I need information for some project," I tell her even though I could really go for food right now.

  Sooyoung appears right behind her. "We can go with you and then find a restaurant nearby," she offers.

  I smile, "That would be great."

 

*~*~*

 

  Libraries , I can't help but think. The silence is nice but there's something about all these books that bothers me. Something about the fact that I know that the book I'm looking for might not be here or that it might have been placed in the wrong section by someone who previously checked it out.

  When I finally come across it, I still almost miss it. The spine of the book is worn out, the words seem to be fading. If I hadn't looked closely, I would have missed it with the way that it seems to blend in with the books that surround it. Well, at least I found it, I think as I reach for it.

  It doesn't move an inch.

  I tug on the book again, this time a little harder, but it doesn't budge. It's jammed between multiple books so I can understand why I can't seem to pull it off the shelf. I tighten my grip on the book and give it a good yank. Nothing. Maybe someone on the other side is trying to get a hold of it as well, I think sarcastically.

  I'm starting to get impatient because the book is still stuck and I'm hungry. I almost consider giving up and coming back tomorrow but there's no guarantee that it'll even be here or that it'll come free. Besides, Jung Jinsol is not a quitter.

  I bite my lip, plant my feet firmly on the ground and readjust my grip on the spine of the book. I grab it with both hands, making sure to clutch it tightly. I give a small tug before using all the power I can possibly muster into pulling it out of its crook.

  I feel it begin to move and I'm relieved. Then, it flies off the shelf. My grip on the book loosens and my momentum sends me flying back. I land on my back with a thud and the book soon follows. I feel one of the corners hit my chin before I feel the rest of the book slam into my mouth and nose. I don't make any noise apart from the wince that I couldn't stop from leaving my mouth when I first felt the impact.

  Now, I knew the book wasn't exactly small when I found it but I guess I underestimated its size. I only realized how heavy it really was when it crashed into me. It's currently to the right of my head since it slid off my face.

  "I'm so sorry," I hear a voice say but I can't see who it is because my eyes are closed.

  When they get no response, they continue talking. "I was on the other side, I was trying to grab the same book. When you yanked on it, I let go," they explain.

  Again, no response. 

  "Let me help you up," they say and I feel a hand on my arm. That snaps me out of it.

  I reach for their arm and grab their wrist. "That's fine, please just let me get up on my own," I respond.

  They retract their hand. "Right, um, okay," I hear them move away. "I'm sorry."

  Their footsteps move further and further away until they're gone. I slowly open my eyes and lean against a bookshelf as I sit up. I move my hand up to my lips and when I pull it away, I see blood. I must've bitten myself when I started falling. 

  I pull myself to my feet and bend down to pick up the book. All this for a book. It better be of use or else I'll be bitter. I head to the front desk, check it out, and walk outside. Jiwoo and Sooyoung greet me but their faces fall.

  "What's up?"

  Jiwoo frowns. "It's just that...you have blood on your lips," she says.

  "Your chin is red," Sooyoung comments. "What happened?"

  I sigh. "I'll explain when we get food."

 

*~*~*

 

  "So someone else was trying to grab the same book as you and when you gave a final tug, they let go?" Jiwoo asks.

  "And both you and the book fell?" Sooyoung adds on.

  I nod. "Yep, that's why there was blood on my lips and why there's a bruise forming on my chin."

  Sooyoung laughs. "Jinsol, you've got some bad luck," she says, gulping down soda. "Who was it?"

  I wipe my mouth. "Who was what?"

  She rolls her eyes. "Who was on the other side?"

  "Oh...I don't actually know," I say and feel embarrassed.

  Jiwoo almost chokes on her food. "What do you mean you don't know? Didn't they apologize?" she asks.

  "Well, yeah but I didn't have my eyes open..." I admit.

  Sooyoung snorts and Jiwoo starts coughing up a storm. "You had your eyes closed?" Sooyoung asks in disbelief.

  "Yeah...but I know it was a girl," I say, feeling the need to defend myself. 

  I hadn't processed it when she was talking to me but when I started to explain what happened, I realized that the person on the other side was female. That explains why their voice sounded gentle. Or why their skin was so soft when I reached out to grab their wrist. Can skin be that soft? Her skin was beyond soft, it was like silk.

  "Well, it's too bad that you didn't see her face," Jiwoo says.

  "Yeah," I agree.

  "You should-" Jiwoo starts but Sooyoung cuts her off.

  "It's her," she whispers.

  "Who?" I ask.

  "Kahei," Jiwoo says, looking past me.

  I turn around slowly and see two girls standing near the entrance. A girl with pink hair and the other with brown. The pink haired girl seems familiar but I definitely know the other girl. Haseul. I've talked to her on more than a few occasions.

  "I know her friend," I tell them when I turn back.

  "Really?" Sooyoung asks.

  "Yeah," I nod. "Jo Haseul, she's cool."'

  Silence fills our booth and I don't know what to do so I just keep eating. I don't look up until I hear Jiwoo clear . I raise an eyebrow and she jerks her head towards Sooyoung. She grows tense and I'm about to ask what's wrong when I hear a familiar voice.

  "Hi, Jinsol," Haseul says.

  "Hey," I turn to her. "How's it going?"

  I can see the pink haired girl, Kahei, standing next to her. She looks at me and gives a smile. I return it. I watch her eyes move from me to what must be Jiwoo. Then, her eyes must land on Sooyoung because I feel a foot kick me from underneath the table. 

  I hope this goes well, I think even though I have a feeling that it'll be far from it.

 

A/N

  so, this isn't my very first fanfiction but it is my very first loona fanfiction. i'd really appreciate it if you left comments and suggestions. i value your input. also, i am aware that some of you expect chuuves which you are going to get, i promise. however, i have this idea planned out in my head so it's not going to be an immediate thing. it's going to develop with time and I hope you guys enjoy watching their relationship grow. i'm aware of the difference in age between sooyoung and jiwoo but here, there's only a year difference between them. jinsol, jiwoo, and haseul are the same age while sooyoung and kahei are the same age. anyway, I hope you enjoyed this first chapter. please look forward to more :)