Photographs and Songs (1)

Photographs and Songs

I only take beautiful pictures.

I don't care if the scenery is bleak or rugged or downright not the perfect spot, I make sure that what I take looks artistic for others to say that it's good or pretty. Sometimes they call me 'Vergician' because I somehow turn a bad subject look beautiful. Actually, I don't mind what others call me. I just want to take pictures, that's all. 

But when I laid my eyes on you that Saturday morning, I knew I have to take a picture of you.

 

I was walking throught the busy streets of Shibuya looking for some souvenir shops. I was a tourist and my trip at Japan was nearing its end. I found a small souvenir shop and went inside to look for some keychains and when I was done, I went out. And that's where I met you.

 

Maybe it was because you're the only blonde amidst  the crowd; or

 

Maybe you're the only one with the bright pink t-shirt tucked in your blue pants; or

 

Maybe it was because you're laughing so hard with your friends.

 

I don't know why but I was immediately drawn to you that I thought 'Hey Vernon, you don't want to miss this shot right?'

 

But as I was ready to take a picture, you and your friends suddenly crossed the street in which I couldn't caught on to you immediately. I had to wait for the stoplight to go green for me to eventually caught up to you. I saw you enter a coffee shop and I don't know why but I didn't enter. I waited for you to get out and how lucky am I that you went out of the shop that fast while still laughing with your friends.

 

click

 

I think you heard the shutter of my camera that you looked at my direction. I got embarassed but said sorry for taking a picture without your consent. You just laughed and I saw your puffy cheeks getting red because of the laughter. 

 

"What's your name?" you asked me. I smiled.

 

"Vernon."

 

You stretched out your hand in front of me. "Seungkwan. Boooooooooo Seungkwan!" you said. Your friends at the back laughed at your introdcution and you introduced them to me. The one with the mullet hair was Minghao and the other, Mingyu. You suddenly asked me if I don't have anything to do that day and I told you I don't have anything in mind since I already bought the things I planned on buying.  "Then let's grab a meal!"

 

"Is that okay with you?" I asked, my eyes wandering to you and to your friends. 

 

"Oh, anything is fine with us," Mingyu told me but looked at you like he has something to say. But his gaze returned to me. "Seungkwan's just happy to make a new friend here." 

 

I saw you with red cheeks. I don't know why but I find it cute. "If it's okay with you then let's." I said and you suddenly got loud and took the lead saying you know a place to eat. I laughed at you back then as I find you a really funny guy and while walking, I took a look at the picture I just made. 

 

And with all the things I don't know,  I suddenly felt warm despite the cold of Shibuya.

 

 

===

 

 

We became friends quickly after that and I found myself having replaced two memory cards because you always take me to almost anywhere. Not that I don't like it, I actually like your company plus the fact that maybe, you're beginning to be my favorite subject. 

 

It was another tiring yet fun day with you and you decided that we go on a road trip on that same day. I was tired to be honest, but I couldn't say no. Maybe because I could get another round of good shots of you. So I went to prepare all the things we might need while you went out to check the jeep we just used going to my place. 

 

"Let me drive now," you said and I just sighed knowing that I'll let you. So I gave you the car keys and you became loud again that I had to take another photo of you and you stopped. You looked at me and threatened albeit jokingly on why I did that. "Why you--"

 

"But you look good here, see?" I said you as I showed you the photo I took. You took a peek and I could see your cheeks reddened. 

 

"I should be!" You suddenly said and went inside the car.

 

I smiled for the nth time that day. You never fail to make me warm like the first time in Shibuya.

 

 

===

 

 

A year has passed and our friendship just gotten better each day. I already know your routine for the day and if I could make a list, I think I'll go on and on. 

 

You like your coffee iced. 

 

You're not a morning person.

 

You once dreamt of becoming an entertainer.

 

You struggled to lose weight because of your eating habits.

 

You like to be loud. 

 

You like to sing. There was one time you went out with Hoshi and Seokmin (your two other friends besides Minghao and Mingyu) and the two complained how you would laughed hard at their tries at karaoke--with Hoshi especially. You told me that Hoshi should not sing a ballad because he couldn't do justice to the song. I laughed at that but Hoshi heard you and tried to chase you while you ran away from him still laughing your heart out. 

 

And that one was what I most know about you. It was always when you smile and laugh that I couldn't get my shutter rest for a bit. Like  I need to do it or else I would miss the perfect shot. 

 

 

---

 

 

The there was this day when you fetched me from my work. I was surprised because you never really like to accompany me when I'm doing my projects. Without a word, you grabbed my arm and asked me if I was done.

 


"I am," I answered. "But why are you here? I thought you have your day off today?"

 


"Well there are some people who cancelled our meeting today so...." You trailed. "I decided that you'll be the one to accompany me tonight."

 


"Without me agreeing to anything?" I teased. 

 


Trust me, I want to be your company that day, I was just teasing you back then and the reaction you gave me was priceless. You looked at me exasperated and told me that you didn't went to Hongdae just for me to be bratty about not wanting to be with you. But instead of a reply, I gave out a laugh because of how cute you looked and immediately snapped a photo of you through my phone.

 


"Yah!" You said while hitting my shoulders. "Why do you always do that?!"

 


"Because you looked good everytime," I said and your cheeks became red again. "You know I don't take pictures if the subject was not good."  

 


I saw biting your lip and changed the subject. I don't know why but it seemed to me that there's something you don't want to talk about. And so, I agreed to wherever you want to spend your day off and we ended having drinks with the river view at sight. 

 


I kept on side glancing at you because you seemed down and you're not the loud Seungkwan I know. You just kept on chugging down the soju we bought at a nearby convenience store. I was worried because you never drink that way and I assumed that you really have a problem.

 


"Care to share your problem with me?" I asked as I took the empty bottle of soju you just finished. "You know you could tell me everything."

 


"Vernon, I think I'm liking someone," you suddenly blurted out. "But I don't know if that someone likes me too."

 


I was taken aback at what you just said and something inside me burned. Like the words you emitted that time were choking me and I'm not liking it. I still don't know what that was at the time, all I know was, I don't like you liking someone. It pissed me off but I knew that you need a friend and I'm more than willing to be a good company for you that night. 

 


"Then I think you tell that person about how you feel." I advised you though I admit that was just a half-hearted advice.

 


"But what if that person rejects me?" You answered and it was evident in your eyes that night that the thought of rejection was the one thing killing you.  

 


"Regardless of what that person might say to you in reply, don't you think you're lifting off your burden by saying what you feel?" I answered. "If you focus on whether that person will return the feelings you have or not, you'll not be able to confess what you're feeling and I think that's the problem."

 


I looked at you making sure you are listening to me. "Tell that person you that you like them. Don't think on what that person will say. The most important thing is that you told that person how you feel and you'll never regret not conveying what that person is to you."

 


You never gave reply on that and I kept staring at you looking for some emotions in your face. Then you slowly fidgeted your fingers like you're hesistating to do what I just advised you to. I took hold of your hand assuring you that everything's going to be fine and you looked at me. 

 


"I don't think I could say it," you said worriedly. "I know I'm a loud person but this someone  will surely walk away if I just confessed my feelings." 

 


"Then do something that will not make that person walk away." I simply said in return not even minding what kind advise I gave you. 

 


Then you moved near me and I looked at you worriedly thinking that the alcohol must have entered your system. 

 


Then there it was.

 


You kissed me on the cheeks. 

 


I froze at the sudden contact and looked at you confusedly. I don't know why you did that and was about to ask you when you suddenly ran away from me. It took me like ten seconds to snap from my reverie of the event that happened and ran to follow you. 

 


And I caught you before you went to cross the street. I saw you crying and it broke me seeing you like that. 

 


"Why did you do that?"

 


You looked at me with those eyes that are slowly turning red from crying. "I...I.."

 


"You what?" I asked. I held you firmly in my arms so you won't get away from me.

 


"I like you." You said with voice trembling that it came out as a whisper. 

 


"Y-you like me?" I said in disbelief. Then came the green light and you managed to get away from my grasp and hurriedly ran away from me.

 


And I was left there standing alone on that corner of the street, dumbfounded at what you said. I didn't understand why you ran away from right after saying that I'm that person you like. 

 


Because you know what Seungkwan? If you just stayed there with me a little bit more, you wouldn't need to worry. 

 


I like you too.