Early Beginnings

Shadows: Serenity

Year 92 of Lee Kingdom. Blazing Dunes. 15th Village. Coal Mining District.

 

      

 

The first time Taehyung met him, he was barely three. His mother was also very young and she was beside herself the whole day, fussing about the house and fixing Taehyung's hair and clothes so that he will be presentable enough. They even brushed Tannie's fur. Taehyung's mother also puts on her best clothes, ones that have the least tears and her dark brown hair falls softly around her face. To Taehyung, his mother is the most beautiful woman he's ever seen. "You have to be good to him, okay baby?" his mother teaches the boy again, gently smudging away the dirt on his nose. It makes Taehyung giggle and nod. He doesn't know who this man is but he has heard about him from Mama. For as far as he remembers, it's always been him, Mama and Tannie. Mama says she is able to stay home with Taehyung and not have to work long hours at the mines every day like other villagers because of this man. Taehyung is grateful. Taehyung loves her the most in the world.

 

A little after noon, they hear horse hooves and Taehyung's mother immediately goes to the door with the three-year-old in tow. A built man on his horse stops in front of their sand globe, a small smile gracing his lips. He looks so strong and powerful, pristine and out-of-place in front of their home and the dirt that is always in the air in the dunes. But perhaps most important aspect of his appearance, his eyes, though different colour, have a slight feline-shape to them just like Taehyung's.

 

"Master," Taehyung's mother beams, a bright smile on her face before she drops down to her knees, bowing so low her forehead touches the ground. Taehyung follows her actions after a few seconds of confusion as the man climbs down from the horse to make his way towards them. Taehyung has never seen a highlander in his life, everyone in their district is from here, poor and have orange or brown coloured hair and eyes, meaning they were all raised here. Taehyung's Mama has told him stories before, how beyond the endless deserts of the Sand Dunes, there are lands of unimaginable colours and flowers, how people look and sport different coloured hair and eyes. 

 

"Stand up," the master orders but Taehyung immediately feels himself lifted by the male from the back collar of his neck and before he knows it, he is small and holding on tight to the man, who is holding around his torso loosely. The man is so much taller than Mama and it makes the boy scared that he will be dropped, tears starting to pool in his eyes. "You kept him, huh. He’s beautiful and looks just like you, Eon Jin. And he cries so pretty like you." At that point, thick fat tears are already making way down the baby boy's soft cheeks, he just wishes to go back to Mama.

 

"Yes master," a soft reply comes and through his tears Taehyung notices how his mother seems worried but does nothing to get him back. "What's your name? Stop crying baby, I didn't mean to scare you," the male's voice is gentle all of a sudden and Taehyung turns back to look at the male in surprise. Up close, though blurry from his tears, he notices how his hair and eyes are the prettiest shade of bluish grey. Taehyung has never seen that color naturally occurring in their dunes before. The man is also incredibly handsome.

 

“T-Tae..,” he hiccups, tears stopped momentarily. “P-puppy is Tannie..,” he adds, unsure why he wants to be favoured and praised by this man despite his fear.

 

“Ah, is that so? Eon Jin, I will be staying here for a while. Make preparations, I’ll put you on third degree bind for now,” the master addresses his mother, still carrying the small boy. “Tae, take Tannie and go get me food and drinks, will you? Here, tell them it’s for the high court official,” the man puts him down, handing him a small sack of money. Taehyung cannot count yet but just from the weight of it, he can tell it’s the most money his small hands have ever held. He looks up at his mother in worry but they are already making their way into the sand globe, the door closing behind them, leaving just him and Tannie.

 

 


 

 

 

“Eat Tae,” the man commands the boy perched in his lap coldly, although he doesn’t shove the food forcefully into him, “or I will make you sleep outside tonight.”

 

“M- mama...,” Taehyung starts, eyes teary. She’s kneeling by his feet, eyes down and only rises whenever the master wishes his horrible smelling drink refilled. Tannie stays quiet on the edge of their cramped circular house, the small pup having seemingly sensed that he is not to cross this new man either. Both Taehyung and Tannie. Taehyung has never seen Mama so quiet and docile, it scares him too. Her laughs always make him smile and he always picks the prettiest of grass flowers for her just to see her laugh and smile.

 

“Do you wish to kneel beside her too or eat?” the master is starting to lose his patience, "She can't eat with me because she needs to be punished, isn't that right Eon Jin? Don't want to be bad Tae, listen to me. If there are sand storms tonight, you will be gone in the morning if you sleep outside. Don't do that to yourself," the man sounds  like he's trying very hard to be patient and rational, all the while his one hand has a strong grip to the back of Taehyung's neck and the other holding food out to his lips. Taehyung doesn't have much choice, he eats what the master feeds him, the piece of meat very salty because of his tears. 

 

When the lights are out, Taehyung gets to sleep inside the sand globe, though on the ground. He spots a small bruise on his cheek from where he got backhanded by the master after dinner. The three-year-old snuggles close to Tannie quietly and tries his best to block out the pain in his cheek and the soft cries of his Mama. He wishes he can give her kisses, she can cradle him. But they can't, both of them maybe hit or thrown out of their own home if they don't obey. Taehyung is too young to understand why but Tannie his tears softly in the dark and the boy falls asleep uneasily.

 


 

 

Year 100 of Lee Kingdom. Palace Grounds. Land's Edge. Jung Estate.

 

"Rise and shine Tae," Taehyung wakes up to an amused voice and a small shake to his shoulders. He opens his eyes slightly, taking a while for his brain to recognize Hoseok who is smiling at him brightly. The male seems cheery today and unfazed by Taehyung's blank staring. He's sitting beside Taehyung's little bed pan on the floor cross-legged, Taehyung doesn't want to know how long the master may have been sitting there watching him or something. Not that he is anything extraordinary to be watched.

 

"Are you feeling better? I asked father's shadow if you might appreciate this," the master says brightly at the sleepy boy sitting up before pulling him in and wrapping him in a tight hug. Taehyung tries to push away in panic but the older doesn't let go and after a few moments, Taehyung just lets it be. He does notice the dull pain that his body is starting to get used to throughout his back is lessened considerably by their close contact though and Taehyung sleepily stays in his master's arms, for as long as Hoseok wants.

 

"You are so warm, puppy, are you burning?" Hoseok asks when he lets go, hands feeling the younger's cheeks. The nickname is almost like a drench of reality for the slave boy and he shakes his head quickly, effectively getting out of Hoseok's hold. The sleepy compliance has evaporated already and it seems Hoseok knows too as he lets Taehyung go and gets up from the floor.

 

 

Hoseok allows Taehyung space after that until they reach the academy grounds for shadow training. "First day, Tae," the master smiles proudly as if he's a father dropping his child off at school. Taehyung eyes the fifteen-year-old with slight judgement but Hoseok is busy trying to find something in his robes. "Ah, here it is. It is a permission slip from me. They asked about where I want you to be put for some kind of free training; library, combat, academy farm, the likes. You choose where you like the most, okay? Work hard," Hoseok orders softly, reaching out to ruffle Taehyung's hair a little. The house shadows did do a good job on his boy, Taehyung looks even more breathtakingly beautiful now as compared to back in the dunes. 

 

The shadow watches as Hoseok leaves him at the lavender farms, suddenly feeling the chill of the highlands. This is the first time he's been truly left alone since he arrived from the deserts and the thought of running crosses his mind. But he reminds himself quickly that he's still on a fourth degree bind, and his body is only okay with Hoseok being this far away because he is on the enchanted grounds. Escape will have to be planned out for long term and not for a few minutes before he burns into flames.

 

Taehyung gives a small sigh as he walks towards the wooden purple structures in the distance, the small parchment Hoseok passed him in his fist. In many ways, it really does feel like a first day of school. The irony is only that this is the school that will teach him how to properly die for Hoseok.

 



Finally a small glimpse into Tae's childhood and background! I was listening to 4 o' clock on repeat and kept writing and erasing what I wrote because I couldn't quite capture his dynamics with his father.

As always, you can see the universe map here. In this universe, people's eyes and hair colours take on the pigmentation of the area they were born/raised in. I have yet to add new unlocked areas in the map but hope you can see where the general idea of things are and where they are living/ where they were born.

If you missed the last update, you can also see the academy report cards there. Taehyung receives a special assignment for his so next chapter may be on it. :)

Lastly, my updates on shadows universe have been sparse because I've been working on some merch! I designed some Taehyung squishy cheeks gel mouse pads and really want to produce them so if you are interested, please check them out. Preorders are open!

Will be a while before the next Serenity update so stay warm and lovely! :)