Little Escapee

Shadows: Serenity

Year 100 of Lee Kingdom. Blazing Dunes.

 

                                                 

 

In hindsight, Hoseok should have known that something like this would happen. The boy screams trouble the moment his eyes lie on him. Still, the fifteen year old is not willing to give up, he did sign the papers, they did undergo a quick procedure that binds Taehyung to him just in case. Hoseok was told it is supposed to be a simple binding just so Taehyung will not run away until they reach the highlands where they will undergo the proper rituals. And of course, Taehyung did exactly that the first chance he got.

 

"I said stay still," the master hisses, holding Taehyung down on the dusty ground, trying to locate the proper nerve points in the younger's back. He's learned how to remedy this in theory but not when the slave boy is shaking in sobs and something about the ritual done at the village academy making the punishment cursed cuts not just contained to his neck area but spread out all over his body. Even as Hoseok's hands roam over the ten year old's lean muscles, he's witnessing more and more slits appearing on the slave's tan skin and blood oozing out.

 

"Calm down," he orders again, and this time, the boy gives a small whimper and actually listens, or at least his body becomes still enough so that Hoseok can make a better assessment. The older hastily traces the right nerve points on the other's skin before releasing his own vitality  into Taehyung like he's been taught to. He doesn't realize he's been holding his breath and Hoseok gives out a sigh only when the biggest cut across Taehyung's spinal cord starts closing in on itself and the boy gives out a weak little sob of relief. Granted the shadow has only been his for a few hours but he really likes the kid. There's something inexplicable about it.

 

"We should seek shelter, Tae," he tells the near-unconscious boy as the dust around them gets heavier by the second. If Hoseok is not wrong, there will be a notorious sandstorm again soon. The high court official son wishes he hasn't been so arrogant about not wanting to be accompanied on his search for the right shadow before his sixteenth birthday. An extra pair of hands now would have been helpful, but he lifts the ten-year-old up bridal style, the boy surprisingly lighter than he was expecting. Hoseok makes a mental note to himself to fatten up his pet a bit more when they reach the highlands. If they reach the highlands.

 

"Chopa," Hoseok mutters his horse name before pushing Taehyung onto the saddle face-first, letting his arms and legs dangle around, and turning the boy's head so he can breathe properly. Taehyung leans into his hand a little in his sleep making the master give a soft sigh and he pushes hair out of the boy's face. Taehyung well better be worth all this trouble.

 


 

 

Taehyung is definitely nothing but trouble. Hoseok watches the slave boy pet the horse gingerly, starting to get impatient.

 

"Taehyung, either get on the horse or I'm going to spank you over my knees right here," Hoseok says sternly but for a moment his mind slips in a little worry that maybe the boy's injuries haven't healed properly yet. Still, it's not practical for them to walk all the way back the highlands. They managed to take shelter in a small shadow academy in the tenth village for the past two nights during the sandstorm, Taehyung was also given a chance to heal. But it also means that Hoseok is starting to run out of time and supplies. 

 

Not that the little is in any way grateful, Hoseok remarks to himself bitterly when the younger still refuses to look at him after his life practically being saved by Hoseok. But now the slave boy seems to be trying to keep the young master in his peripheral vision and not get too far away, in case the events from the other day repeat again.

 

"Chopa..," Taehyung pets the white horse's mane as if it's a long lost lover of him before glancing over at Hoseok, not daring to deflect a direct order any longer. He gives a short jump by the horse's side but it's nowhere near enough him getting on. Horses are the mode of transport only used by the elites of the society and Taehyung only got to admire the magnificent creatures from afar since he was a child. He tries again, trying to leap higher, only this time, a pair of firm hands hold him up by his waist and Taehyung finds himself straddling Chopa moments later. 

 

His breath hitches, the height exhilarating, and he doesn't remember for a moment to scowl at Hoseok when the older effortlessly jumps onto the spot behind him, his chest pressed flush against Taehyung's back.

 

"Slide back or you're gonna fall off," Hoseok tells the boy amusedly, Taehyung's fluffy head immediately crushes against Hoseok's chin and the fifteen year old master groans a little. "Ready?" he asks softly, leaning back just so he can tighten the loose velvet ribbon on the boy's neck a little. There's no response but the shadow has not said a direct word to him since the recovery so Hoseok just hums and his hands go over the boy to take hold of the reins and they set off their journey back to the palace. He chuckles a little as he feels the boy head seems to turn in every direction, probably curious and excited, and hopefully not looking for a way out again.

 



Part of ShadowsVerse. I'm gonna start the stories parallel because I'm feeling Taehyung too much lately ;; Check out the guide in the series if you're curious about the universe in this world!