His Duties

In Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hey, care to tell me what happened while I was away looking for my phone? Specifically for you?" Jennie whispered under her breath, repeatedly poking Jisoo's arm to get her attention. Although it seemed like her phone wasn't needed, Jisoo took the opportunity to borrow it and told Lisa that Dabin was with her.

When Jennie arrived, she was surprised to see a handsome stranger inside her café playing with Dabin—such an unusual sight she never thought she would see. Though she had a fair share of handsome customers, the guy undeniably outshone them all. The only thing she noticed was how his style was too plain for his good looks, and that was only according to her standards. What surprised her more was that he knew Dabin and she was sure as hell that he was also familiar of Jisoo. For a long time, Jisoo never brought a guy with her at the café, let alone  some stranger play with her sister.

When Jisoo didn't reply, Jennie lightly slapped her arm. "What?"

"Who's that?" Jennie asked, sounding desperate. It wasn't because she was hungry for the guy himself but she wanted Jisoo to spoil the details a girl would usually ask for to their best friend.

Wendy walked towards them. "He's probably Jisoo's boyfriend."

Jennie's eyes grew wide and darted at the guy then at Jisoo. "He's your boyfriend?"

Jisoo immediately covered her best friend's mouth with her hand before shaking her head vigorously. Ever since she started working at the café, both Wendy and Jennie had been pressing her to date. They tried to set her up in different blind dates but none even worked—only because she wouldn't show up, except for one. She wasn't being choosy nor was her standards in men were high, she just hadn't find the right one that made her feel it. And though it was hard to accept for other girls her age, she knew for sure that it wouldn't come until she was 30.

"Of course not!" Jisoo said, her voice unexpectedly louder than she intended.

Her loud voice caught the attention of the customers, their eyes on her. She immediately apologized. When her eyes met with Dabin's, she smiled at her—to which the little girl responded with giving one back. To her surprise, Jinyoung was staring at her and Jennie was quick to notice it. Her eyes landed on Jinyoung then at Jisoo, looking at them suspiciously. He noticed the girl standing beside Jisoo staring so he couldn't control himself but look at her questioningly. Jennie didn't know how to respond, instead of looking away and pretend it didn't happen, she gave him an awkward smile and a small wave.

Jinyoung's lips parted but no sound came out. To Jisoo's disbelief, she slapped Jennie's hand and shot her a warning look. She was already ashamed for bothering him too much with Dabin so there was no way she'd let her great of a best friend embarrass her more. "He's Dabin's teacher and there's no way I'm dating anyone."

Jennie rolled up her eyes. It was impossible for her best friend not to feel anything. It was normal for girls to have a crush on a stranger because after a minute or so, it would disappear. That's how it worked for Jennie. "Yeah, right. You don't find him attractive at all?"

"Even for a bit?" Wendy added whilst she was cleaning the counter.

Jisoo watched Jinyoung talk to Dabin, a smile forming on his lips. Of course she found him attractive the first time they met, it was just that her mind was too preoccupied by stuff that was much more important for her to even think about it. Or even consider having a huge crush on him. After all, she could still survive without any guy in her life. She already did ever since she was young so why bother having one right now? "He's... okay. I guess?"

Jennie looked at Jisoo as if she had seen a ghost. "Are you being serious right now?"

"It's an understatement to call a guy like that 'okay'. He's far from okay. He's like... like a real angel sent from heaven—

"Have you seen an angel with pants?" Jisoo asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I've seen one right now," Jennie retorted, seemingly proud of herself.

Just then, another customer arrived, leaving Jennie with no choice but stop herself from ranting anymore. After all, they were all on duty. "Hi, welcome to Coffee Project! May I take your order, ma'am?"

Jisoo's voice could be heard from Jinyoung's table. He couldn't deny that she had a beautiful voice. The kind you wouldn't get used to. It was husky but at the same time, really sweet and feminine that suited her physical appearance. Of course, he had seen a few women with such beauty but Jisoo's was out of the ordinary. And it did confused him as to why she didn't have someone by her side. Or as to why Dabin's father left them. He could've sworn that he'd never leave someone like Jisoo nor Dabin. Sure, he just met them but their impact on him was strong. Is it because they're those kinds of people who need other people like me? It was too much of him to ask himself that kind of question. It was evident in Dabin's attitude anyway—Jisoo was clearly doing well as a single mom. She didn't need anyone to raise her kid.

"Dabin, is your mom seeing someone?"

Jinyoung mentally covered his mouth in disbelief. He had no idea what possessed him to ask such random question to a kid. He meant to ask himself that but his own voice betrayed him that made him say it out loud. And as expected, Dabin looked at him in confusion. Clearly, the little girl didn't understand what he meant.

"I'm sorry, that's random. Don't mind about it, kiddo." Scratching his head, Jinyoung let out a laugh that made things more awkward for him.

"She doesn't like dating," Dabin answered before stuffing with the food they were eating.

Jinyoung blinked for a few times before he could process what Dabin said in his mind. There was a lump on his throat that got in the way and it wasn't easy for him to swallow it immediately. How can someone like that dislike dating? The world sure is strange. "Where did you get that word? You're too young to know such things."

"But you asked me, seonsaengnim," Dabin teased. "And I'm not too young, I'm all grown up. And I always hear it from mom and Lisa eonnie. And Jennie eonnie, too. They always tell her to date but she doesn't want to."

Jinyoung tried to hold himself from asking why and luckily, he succeeded in doing so. It was none of his business and he shouldn't interfere with theirs. Although it was a shame that someone like Jisoo wouldn't want to experience what he had been through before (the great moments, of course), he should care less. As a matter of fact, he shouldn't act like he was a professional when it comes to dating because he only dated once and that was Suji, no one else. Dating was still unfamiliar for him. He only did it once and he was unable to remember what he did to even win someone like Suji. He couldn't even differentiate dating and being in an actual relationship.

"Seonsaengnim?"

Dabin's voice rang inside Jinyoung's head, waking him up from his thoughts. "What is it?"

"Do you think I will

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter