He Can Be Her Father, Alright?

In Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Blinking for a few times, Jinyoung was frozen and his mind couldn't properly make out sentences nor words. He wasn't sure of what could be the best and proper answer to Dabin's question, considering the fact that she was a kid and could misunderstand anything he'd say. Just as he was about to say something he wasn't sure of, Nayeon appeared beside him. "Dabin, why don't you head inside your room? Your classmates are waiting. And you too, Jinyoung."

Jinyoung mentally thanked Nayeon for arriving at the right time. She sure saved his life. "Ah, yes. Of course. Dabin, let's go?"

Dabin nodded, who had forgotten to wait for his answer. Jinyoung silently breathe out a sigh of relief to know that she wasn't the kind of kid who wouldn't stop asking unless left answered. She was indeed a curious child but she could somehow easily let go. With Dabin grabbing a hold of Jinyoung's hand, they both went inside the classroom, leaving the question forgotten.

Almost two hours have passed and the classroom was unbelievably silent. It was all thanks to Jinyoung, whom the kids both adore and respect. They had been spending their time drawing on their sketchbooks as he watched them in peace. Staring at the clock, he waited patiently for the bell to ring. As soon as it did, the kids started shouting in unison. All were clearly excited to take their short break.

"You can all take a break now." As soon as those words fell from Jinyoung's mouth, the kids all stood up from their seats and ran out of the room leaving Jinyoung all alone in the classroom.

Jinyoung sat on the chair and placed his bag on the teacher's table, grabbing every piece of paper his hand could reach. It had been weeks since he cleaned up his bag and lots of garbage could be found inside. It was like a bag and trashcan in one. Checking each and every paper to make sure they weren't that important to keep, he crumpled the papers and threw them on the nearest trashcan. If only throwing such memories was as easy as throwing garbage, Jinyoung thought to himself.

Jinyoung returned to his seat, wanting to close his eyes even for a few moments but decided against it-worried that he might fall asleep while on duty. He then grabbed his spiral notebook and started scribbling words down on the blank page, letting his thoughts take over. He had been keeping the notebook Suji had given him which he had been using to write random poems and excerpts he would suddenly think of. In the first few pages, it had poems all about love and contentment but right after those were poems only about pain and only pain. Some excerpts were also based on what happened between him and Suji, which he was ashamed of writing.

"Seonsaengnim."

Jinyoung stopped writing, facing wheoever it was. Dabin. She was holding a small cupcake with her usual smile. "Oh Dabin, need anything?" For a while, he panicked when he remembered what she asked earlier and was anxious that she would ask about it again.

"I just want to give this extra cupcake, seonsaengnim. My mom said I should always give thanks to others and this is my way of thanking you." Jinyoung felt special. It had been a while since he felt this way to someone else and although it was only a kid who had grown fond of him in a span of four days, he appreciated it. For a guy like him who had little amount of friends, he couldn't be choosy.

At first, Jinyoung didn't want to accept Dabin's little gift but he didn't want her to feel as if she was rejected either. He wasn't used to receiving such gifts besides the time when he and Suji were still together. He was without a doubt spoiled. Without anymore hesitations, he took the cupcake and gave the little girl a warm smile. "Thank you, kiddo. Where did you bought this?"

"From the café where my mom works. It's delicious, seonsaengnim. You should eat it now!"

Jinyoung chuckled before taking a small bite. Wiping off the icing on his mouth with his finger before it clean. As soon as bits of the cupcake passed down his throat, a hum escaped from his mouth. Dabin looked at Jinyoung with hopeful eyes, expecting him to love it. And he did.

"It is delicious." Jinyoung gave a thumbs up before taking another bite. It really was delicious though it tasted awfully familiar. He was sure that he had tasted something like this before but he couldn't remember when and where. Although it seemed like every cupcake had the same taste, it had differences. And Jinyoung was one of those people who could differentiate a thing from another. For once, he felt like a food connoisseur for trying to determine when and where he tasted the cupcake before.

"Told you so!" Dabin smiled, showing off her teeth.

Jinyoung raised his palm to which Dabin responded by giving him a high-five. "I guess I should pay a visit to that café sometime, huh? Might as well buy a cupcake for myself."

Few hours passed, it was finally time to dismiss the class. Already tired and wanted to have enough sleep, Jinyoung didn't waste anytime and told his students to take care of themselves before officially dismissing them. As if it was in his nature, Jinyoung followed Dabin to make sure she would be picked up right on time. "Dabin, who's going to pick you up?"

"My mom's friend. She promised that we'll eat some ramyeon," Dabin said, not taking her eyes off of the children who were getting picked up by their own parents. Somehow, Jinyoung felt like she was sad by the look on her eyes.

"Is it okay if seonsaengnim's going to stay with you again until your mom's friend picks you up?" Jinyoung asked, in hopes that it would cheer her up even for a bit. Although he was tired, he wanted to make sure that Dabin would be home safely. He wasn't sure but there was something with her that made him act this way. As if he wanted to be a father figure to her. Maybe it's because she is raised with a broken family, Jinyoung told himself.

Dabin's eyes lit up, clearly happy about it. "Really, seonsaengnim?"

"Yeah. Does Dabin mind?" Jinyoung asked to which the little girl replied by shaking her head with so much enthusiasm.

It had been exactly almost an hour. Jinyoung had been checking the time on his phone many times but still, no one arrived to pick up the poor Dabin. Though she wasn't complaining, Jinyoung could tell she was a bit disappointed that another promise was broken. Seems like every promise is made to be broken. Whether you're a kid or not. Jinyoung sighed, looking at his phone screen one more time. 4:31PM. Another minute passed.

Both Jinyoung and Dabin were sitting on the grass, minding their own business by playing Jinyoung's phone once again. Dabin had built two houses on Minecraft that Jinyoung had downloaded for her but Lisa still hasn't arrived. Jinyoung himself was losing hope that Jisoo's friend would appear, so he assumed that whoever her friend was had forgotten about Dabin again so he decided to give Jisoo a call to which Dabin agreed-giving him back his phone. Luckily, she was the last person on his log, making it easier for him to dial her number.

Once successfully dialed, it kept on ringing. Jinyoung patiently waited for Jisoo to answer the call, tapping his fingers on his l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter