Mrs. Kim

In Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Park Jinyoung, are you listening?"

Jinyoung immediately came to his senses, tearing his eyes away from whatever he was staring at. He had been looking at the blue sky with the trees swaying through the window, clouded by numerous thoughts he himself couldn't count. At first, he didn't feel like attending his classes but he felt the need to–he couldn't let one person ruin something so big and important that could affect his future. But it was too late, he had already let her. He was distracted and miserable and everyone around him could see that by looking at his face.

"Mr. Park, you've been spacing out lately. Is everything alright?" Professor Han asked, seemingly worried about his top student's recent behavior. Jinyoung didn't know but the professor noticed how his grades had slowly dropped and surely, Professor Han didn't want his grades to drastically change from A to F. "You should continue focusing on your studies, Mr. Park."

Jinyoung didn't utter a word, instead, he nodded. He couldn't easily admit to himself that the woman he had loved for years was distracting him from college and was slowly bringing him down. He had been studying hard to make it all the way to the top and it was too late of him to realize that he was falling back to where he started. And as much as he wanted to deny it, it had already been done. He was falling. But this time, not for her. Not for anyone in particular.

"Moving on, since your first semester is ending and summer vacation's coming, you're going to have your last project in my subject," Professor Han cleared his throat. Most of the people in the room had started to mutter complaints, clearly not fond of the idea. Jinyoung stayed silent, his eyes finding its way back to the blue sky—seemingly ubothered by the upcoming project he would be stressing about soon.

Although his eyes' attention were all over the blue sky, he could clearly hear what his professor was talking about—and it was nothing special. He would stress about it soon anyway. "We have two types of research in journalism. First one is primary research and the last one is secondary research. What I want you to do is pick one from either of the two and make a research. As simple as that. That will be passed by the end of the month, right before this semester ends. Understand?"

Everyone said yes in unison. Satisfied by his students' answers in spite of their endless complaints, Professor Han dismissed the class. Everyone grabbed their stuff, leading themselves outside of the room to head back home or wherever they were planning to go since Professor Han was their last subject teacher. Jinyoung was already close to the doorway when the professor called his name. "Jinyoung?"

Jinyoung stopped, turning his head to look at his professor, who was organizing his books, notebooks, and some paperworks on the table. "Yes, Professor Han?"

Adjusting the strap of his backpack on his shoulder, Jinyoung took a few steps closer to stand in front of Professor Han, who had now stopped what he was doing, already facing his student with worry that was evident in his eyes. "You've been my student ever since you first stepped in this university and I have to say, your grades are slowly getting lower."

Of course, Jinyoung told himself. He had been expecting his professor to tell him that ever since he started spacing out in class for the first time and it took a while for Professor Han to actually consult him personally.

"Jinyoung, I'm disappointed with the way your previous papers and writing turned out. Anyone call tell it's forced and rushed compared to your old works back then. They were great, I assure you. But these?" Professor Han waved a bundle of papers with both of his hands. "They're not you."

The professor handed Jinyoung's previous works to him, to which he accepted. Jinyoung's eyes went down on the writings on the paper, reading some of the words. He couldn't see any evidence of his works being rushed nor forced and assumed that his professor was just being exaggerated. "Professor Han, it's been years. My writing style has changed. Writers change through time. I'm dedicated and passionate. I believe I am. If my new style isn't as great as before, I apologize. I'll do better next time."

Professor Han sighed in disbelief, knowing that his student didn't understand what he meant. A side of him was telling him to let the boy be but the other side kept on saying that Jinyoung was being in denial. He had always been. "I'm not asking you to do better. All I'm saying is don't let whatever that is to change you. Don't let it distract you from your passion. Your dreams. Don't let them go over a single thing. Whatever or whoever it is."

Jinyoung's eyes wandered around, not wanting to come across with the professor's eyes. The conversation they were having was making him feel uncomfortable and uneasy and he just wanted to leave the room as soon as possible. He already knew where this conversation would lead to and clearly, he didn't want to keep on going. "Thank you, Professor Han. I have to go."

Before Professor Han could even stop Jinyoung from leaving, it was too late. The young man had made his way out of the room along with his works. Being Jinyoung's teacher, he was deeply worried over his grades and most importantly, whatever was bothering him. He had always treated his students fairly but Jinyoung was an exception, he was like a son to him although it only had been a year since he became his teacher. Professor Han saw something in Jinyoung that he couldn't wrap a finger around. All he knew was Jinyoung was a son he never had. "I hope you'll find yourself again, Jinyoung."

Meanwhile, Jinyoung was on his way to the school with a bus. It would be his third day working as a Kindergarten teacher right after he applied to replace a previous one who supposedly had a huge argument with one of the kids' mom, causing her to quit. Although he was scared that he would be this mom's next target, he was sure that he would be okay for now. And he couldn't quit just because of a stupid reason, he needed money. As simple as that. It was also a great thing that his working hours were right after his class hours, or he would be suffering.

Jinyoung had always wanted to be a Kindergarten teacher if he wasn't meant to become a journalist or an author. Being around with kids would never fail to make him smile. He used to visit the Kindergarten class back in high school to catch up with the small children who had treated him like their brother. Often times, he'd read stories for them on the school's playground. He loved seeing their expressions whenever he'd read and somehow, he wished he could be with kids all the time.

As soon as Jinyoung arrived, some kids came running towards him. Ever since he started working, some young teachers and almost every kid loved him right away. With his charming smile and kind demeanor, nobody couldn't deny that he was likeable. Especially when it came to Kindergartners he was handling. "Seonsaengnim!"

A smile automatically appeared on Jinyoung's face. There was something about kids that could lighten up his mood in a matter of seconds and he swore he wanted one of his own someday. And it wasn't like he'd never have one. More better if it's with Suji, he told himself. Trying not so hard to look affected by his thoughts, Jinyoung kept on smiling at the kids around him who had been playfully hugging his legs.

As soon as the children calmed down and had finally let go of his legs, Jinyoung knelt down to face the kids. "Did you guys have breakfast?"

"Yes!" the kids answered in unison. Two girls had found themselves hugging Jinyoung on each side, one of them planting his cheek with kisses. Jinyoung chuckled at the little girl, giving her a tight hug.

"Did you eat it well?" Jinyoung asked again, playfully ruffling some boys' hair. He received the same response as before. Just as he was about to ask the kids if they obeyed their parents, a young woman named Nayeon started walking towards them with a big smile on her face. She was wearing her usual outfit—a light pink A-Line dress that matches with her light-toned skin paired with white flat shoes.

"Kids, what did I tell you about giving the teacher some space?" Nayeon said, kneeling down beside Jinyoung.

"Sorry, seonsaengnim."

Jinyoung smiled and patted some of the children's head before they ran off to go back where they were and continue what they were doing. "It's actually fine, Nayeon. It actually feels great to be welcomed that way."

Nayeon was the first woman Jinyoung became close with in his first day. She was welcoming and had been helping him throughout his first day, guiding him through th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter