Fin.

Byul - The Luckiest Girl Alive

Chin propped against her left hand, Hani drummed her pen against her file folder. She gave up making notes around 10 minutes ago – the lecturer was way too boring for her to tuned in and pay attention – why he had to drone on and on and on like that? She wanted time to hurry up, she has better things to do, what with the festival coming up in just a couple of days and she was part of the committee. She would rather use her time to confirm the artist line up than this. Anything but this. She wanted to bang her head against the desk just to stay awake.

Eureka!

The lavender haired girl nearly jumped out of her chair when the lecturer finally dismissed them and sprinted out of the lecturer hall toward the basecamp – a room the university provided for the committee to plan their festival.

 

“I’m here!!”

She stopped on her track when she saw the rest of her gang were huddled up together, chicken and tteoboki spread out in front of them left untouched.

“Who died?” she asked as she sat down beside Yongsun, hand already reaching for a piece of chicken.

“I wish it was Taehyun, that slime ball keeps harassing me to go out on a date with him.” Wheein rolled her eyes, annoyance written clearly all over her face.

“Here, look at all the messages that he sent me! I swear, if he’s not part of the committee, I would have block him already. Can’t I report him to the police for disturbance or something? Cause that guy seriously disturbing me.”

“He did the same thing to me at the start of this semester.” Hani confessed over a mouthful of chicken, barely audible.

“Please chew before you choke, how you got rid of him though?” asked Wheein, curious.

“I let him take me out to a really fancy cafe and then talk nonstop about my girlfriend, Moonbyul.” Hani grinned triumphantly as Wheein looked at her as if she grew another head.

“You dated MOONBYUL? Moon Byul, as in, Moon Byul Yi, the taekwondo athlete???? The girl crush of the century?????” Wheein nearly choked on her own saliva, she was that shocked. That and because she has the biggest crush on the silver haired girl.

“Nope, but Taehyun didn’t know that.” Hani grinned wickedly as she sing song her answer, “All he need to know is that he’s not my type and my girlfriend can kick his with her eyes close. He never bothered me again.”

“I was about to say the same thing. Byul worked like a charm.” Hyejin took a bite at a tteobokki and chewed loudly.

“Yep, worked for me too.” Yongsun, who’d been quiet this whole time chimed in.

“YOU TWO DATED MOON BYUL YI???? HOW I DIDNT KNOW THAT? HOW????” Wheein looked at her childhood friends with hurt expression.

“Will you stop screaming? I still want to have proper use of my ears, beside I said it worked for me too, I only dated Byul in Taehyun’s mind.” Hyejin tsk-ed at Wheein before sipping her coke. 

Wheein was dumbfounded but the gear on her brain already start turning, “Okay, so maybe I could do the same, but, is it okay though? Using her name like that? Besides, I’m not really close with Moonbyul-ssi”

“Nach, Byul is like, so gentlemanly and friendly to boot, she’ll get it. The fact that she didn’t like Taehyun helps as well.” Hani snickered.

“So, how did you guys asked her to pretend?”

“We didn’t, we just stick close to her, didn’t I told you that she’s really friendly? She’s very touchy, so Taehyun never suspected the lie.” Hani said triumphantly, “And if that tactic didn’t work, one of us will pretend to be your girlfriend, he already thought we were all lesbian anyway.”

“But.. what if he asked Byul about it?”

“He won’t, his ego won’t allow it.” Yongsun added, “and just to be sure, let’s all have a girls night or something so that you could get closer to Byul.”

“Now text him, tell him that you are not available cause you have a date with Byul.” Hani grinned already excited at the image of Taehyun chickened out at the mention of Byul’s name.

Laughing, Wheein picked up her phone and typed in the scripted message, “Let’s hope it works then.”

***

 

“You can do this. You can do this. Just pick up the phone, dial and just ask her. You can do this.” Byul looked at her own reflection in the mirror, trying to hypnotize herself. She let out a couple of calming breath before giving up and threw herself into her bed.

“GAH!!! WHY IS IT SO HARD????” Byul screamed into her pillow before staring back into a set of numbers that Yongsun typed into her contact. She was being ridiculous.

“I can do this.”

She propped herself up and made a cross, sent up a little prayer and dialed the number.

“Hello?” came the sweet reply.

Byul jumped from her bed, nervousness coursed through her body when she heard the voice on the other line, “Hi, Wheein-ssi? This is Moon Byul Yi. I uh... I got your number from Yongsun, I hope you don’t mind.”

“Oh... OH! Hi.”

“Hi.”

“So...”

“So....”

The giggle that reached Byul’s ear sounded like heaven just opened up and an angel was singing – Wheein sound like an angel – Byul knew she was grinning like a fool, but who wouldn’t?  

“I’m sorry, I’m usually more articulate than this, but... uh... haha... “

“It’s okay, so, what can I help you?”

“Well... doyouhaveplanstonight?” Byul asked nervously.

“Excuse me, what?” Wheein was floored, she didn’t know whether she was hearing things or moonbyul just ask her out.

“I was wondering whether you have plans tonight, its Friday, so I was thinking whether you want to go out?”

“Are you asking me out? Like on a date?” Wheein’s grip on her phone tightened as she pressed her ear firmly, just to make sure that she didn’t hear wrong, the thunders that is her heartbeat didn’t help either.

“Well, yeah, if you wanted it to be that is, I mean, we have a lot of mutual friends and it would be nice to get to know you better and all.” Byul rushed through her sentence, too nervous to think straight.

“I have choir practice tonight though, I’m sorry, how about tomorrow?” Wheein bit her lips, suddenly contemplating whether she should just drop the practice, this is BYUL asking her out on a date.

“Tomorrow’s great! Tomorrow is awesome, I’ll pick you up at your dorm then?”

“Sounds good.”

“Oh and Wheein-ssi? Let’s drop formality okay? Just call me Byul.”

Wheein grinned, dimple deepening,  “Alright, but you have to call me Wheein then.”

 “Okie Dokie. See you tomorrow.”

Wheein laughed, “It’s a date then.” Wheein said as she smiled into the phone.

Byul yelled “YES!!” in her mind, as she made a little giddy celebration dance, WHEEIN SAID ITS A DATE! ITS A DATEEEEEEE.

Byul hung up the call and jumped into her bed, fist pumped in the air, before reality sets in and her bravado dissipated. Where should I take her? What would she like? Does she have allergy? Would she be okay walking? Or should I take my bike? Oh ttt.....

Quickly picking up her phone again, she pressed speed dial one and didn’t even bother with pleasantry before she bombarded Yongsun with questions.

“What kind of food does Wheein like? Do you think it’s okay if I take her out for movies? She like movies right? what about superheroes movie? Or drama? Maybe she like drama? Or comedy? Should I pick her up with my bike? Or should we take metro? What about a walk in the park? Do you think she’ll like me? What if she didn’t? What if she decided that she hates the way I walk or something.....”

“YA!! MOON BYUL YI!!”

“Yong, you got to help me out here.” Byul whined, all her confidence bites the dust.

“I’m with Hani and Hyejin, come to our usual place.”

“I’ll be there in 5.”

The usual place means the snack bar just around the corner of their university and there Byul found the three girls chatting and giggling at the corner of the room.

“Hellow ladies.” Byul greeted merrily as she took a spot beside Yongsun.

“Cut the grease before I got a heart attack, hamster.” Hyejin grinned as the other two snickered at Byul’s crestfallen face.

“Ouch, you hurt me.”

“Be kind, she’s a nervous wrecked right now.” Yongsun laughed when she saw Byul blushed.

“Not funny.” Byul whined as Hani and Hyejin leaned in out of curiosity.

“I can’t believe Byul is blushing, Moon Byul Yi, the womanizer of the campus.” Hani barely stifled her giggle as she saw the blush deepened.

“Maybe this is not such a good idea after all.”

“Relax will you, so, anyway, Byul here just asked Wheein out.”

Hyejin nearly choke of her coke, she looked at the continually blushing Byul in wonder before she burst out laughing. This is just too much coincidence in a day. The universe seriously has a wicked sense of humor.

“Hyejin-ah, you and Wheein basically separated at birth, so you got to help me out here, what she like?”

“You. She like you.”

“Really?” the sudden dreamy look that lightened up Byul’s face was enough to crack them up again.

Taking pity on Byul’s suddenly gloomy face, Yongsun pats her on her back, “Wheein like art gallery, she’s an art buff, like really artsy.”

“You could take her to watch indie artist busking in Hong Dae, she’ll like that.” Hani added.

“She didn’t really like pizza, but she love ramen.” Continued Hyejin, “Oh, she like that cat cafe as well right? she’s like going crazy about cute stuff, she once almost bite a kitten just cause he’s so cute.”

“Wait... Wait, I need to write this all down.”

“Don’t take her to that game arcade, I know you, you will just be engrossed in your gaming and ignore her.” Warned the lavender haired girl.

Hyejin nodded and pointed her finger at Byul, warning in her eyes, “She’s okay with movies, but don’t you dare drag her to watch horror movies, don’t take advantage of my cute little puppy.”

Yongsun concurred, “Don’t you even think about kissing her either. Hands off on the first date.”

“Wow, all of you hate me.”

Their chatter suddenly died down when they noticed a shadow looming near their table.

“Something you want, Taehyun?”

The boy visibly jumped at the sound of Byul’s annoyed voice.

“You.. you all sit together.” he said disbelievingly. “H...how?” he stuttered, part confuse and part in awe at Byul’s ability to score with the girls. How? How is it possible that Byul dated all of them and still be able to get them all sitting together chatting like that?

Hani and Hyejin had to pinch themselves to stop themselves from laughing at the expression of Taehyun’s face.

“It’s called being friends, you might want to have one to understand.” Byul quipped sarcastically, she really didn’t like him, like at all. The dude is too much of a try hard and she didn’t like the way that he treated the girls on campus. Why he thought that he’s such a godsend for girls was just beyond her.

“Is there anything you want?” Yongsun took a pity at the boy and asked.

“I just... I just don’t get it, how???”

“How what?” Byul was starting to get annoyed.

“You must be the luckiest girl alive.”

The table burst out laughing, sans the confused Byul, “Huh?”

“I don’t get it. I don’t get it.” The boy kept mumbling, dumbfounded as he walked away from the table, what kind of sorcery she’s practicing?

“What is wrong with that dude?”

Hani giggled, “Don’t mind him, he’s just jealous that you have more luck with girls than he would ever be in his lifetime.”

“Geez, you make it sounds like I have a gazillion girlfriends or something.”

Something passed between the three girls as they secretly smiled, poor Byul didn’t know that in Taehyun’s mind, she indeed has a gazillion girlfriends.

“Okay, back on topic.” Hani clapped her hand and leaned forward, “Wheein like hip hop....”

***

 

Wheein was overseeing the banner placement on the university’s lot where the concert going to be held when she saw a lanky guy with greasy parted hair made his way toward her. She inwardly groaned, focusing all of her attention toward to stage to avoid eyes contact.

Please let him just walk pass by, please don’t let him talk to me, oh my god how greasy his hair is, did he even take a shower? Oh MY GOD HE’S GETTING CLOSER!!!

“Wheein-ah.”

Wheein closed her eyes, counted to three before giving him a tight lip smile, “Yep? What?”

“Look, I know you told me that you are going out with that freak, Moonbyul. But, I mean, I want to warn you out of the goodness of my heart okay, but you seriously have to reconsider. That girl is bad news. She dated like half the girls on campus! She’s not good for you. She’ll just playing around. I don’t want you to get hurt. That’s so good of me, right? warning you like this.”

Wheein really tried not to roll her eyes, she really really tried.  

“Thanks for the ‘warning’, but I’m good.”

Turning back around to her previous position looking at the stage, she ignored the still standing boy, stretched out her arms and made a square with her fingers, the banner on the stage still look slightly crooked, she will need to tell the stage team.

“No, no, you don’t understand. Moonbyul is bad news. You can’t go out with her!”

Wheein turned around so fast she almost afraid she got whipped lash, but she glared at the dude, hands automatically crossed over her chest in defensive mode, “Excuse me? Did you just tell me who I could and could not go out with??”

“Everything okay?”

Wheein would recognized that alto voice anywhere and automatically her tense shoulder loosened up.

“He’s just about to go.” Wheein threw another glare at Taehyun who looked at Byul with so much disdain, he couldn’t hide it.

“Wheein, you got to listen to me.”

Annoyed and simply want the pestering bug to go away, Wheein turned toward Byul, grabbed her by the collar and put a kiss squared on her lips.

OMG HER LIPS IS SO SOFT!

She let go of Byul who looked dazed and smirked challengingly over the slacked jaw boy, “Did that answer your question? Please go. My girlfriend here has a black belt and she won’t hesitate to use them. On you.”

Byul – who seemed to finally be able to use some part of her brain – caught the situation quickly. Placing her hand on Wheein’s waist, she raised one eyebrow at him, “Are you bothering my girlfriend here?”

“No, I just... I... Never mind.” He shook his head and leave the two girls behind.

Awkwardness sets in when Taehyun already out of earshot and Wheein suddenly bowed at the silver haired girl, “I’m so so so sorry.”

“Huh?”

“I didn’t mean to drag you into this, but that guy has been pestering me for weeks. So I just... ugh... I’m sorry.”

Byul grinned at the flustered Wheein – how can anyone be this cute? – and shook her head slightly, “It’s okay, I mean, just call me anytime anyone is bothering you. I could be your bodyguard if you want.”

Wheein tucked her short blond locks under her ear and blushed, “I don’t need a bodyguard.” She whispered shyly.

“I don’t know, a cute girl like you? You probably need protection from all of your fans 24/7.”

Wheein blush deepened, “I’m not cute and Uh... sorry for kissing you like that.”

“Are you kidding? I should be thanking you, although I thought a kiss should be shared after a date, luckily we have a date tonight.”

The pink on Wheein’s cheeks turned red as blush spread from her face down to her neck and Byul have to balled up her hands so that she wouldn’t reach out and squeeze those cheeks.

SHE SO CUTE AND FLUFFY I WANNA DIE.

“So, I pick you up later? Or you still need a bodyguard? You know, just in case?”

Wheein smiled shyly but shook her head, “I’m good. I’ll see you at six.”

Byul grinned, showing her bunny teeth as her nose scrunched up, “I’ll see you at six.”

 

True to her words, especially since the girls made her swear that she won’t take Wheein to the game arcade, Byul decided to take Wheein to a fan art exhibit for one a girl group that she thought looked a bit like Wheein.

Yongsun was right, Wheein is an art buff, she smiled when she remembered how Wheein’s eyes light up when she realized where Byul took her to. She took her time looking at each piece, gesturing wildly with her hands as she tried to explain to Byul – who has zero knowledge about art – the difficulties of each , the blend of each color, the contour of each lines. She was a sight to behold in her own little world and she cannot be more adorable in Byul’s eyes.

Following Hyejin’s recommendation, she took Wheein to a hole in a wall ramen place that she knew served an awesome ramen – only 500 bowls a day – limited and really really delicious. Sitting side by side in the small place, Byul find it very easy to talk to Wheein. She was shy at first, but grew more easy going as time passed by, their banter flow easily enough that Byul didn’t realized that it was already so late, yet, she didn’t want this date to end.

 

Wheein looked at the city lights and let the breeze caressed her face, calmness settled upon her as she took in her surroundings. The city buzzed with sounds of traffics while music can be heard overlapping with each other throughout the street. The wind gushed and she can feel goosebumps forming on her arms.

Wheein looked up when she felt something heavy and warm settled on her shoulder.

“You looked cold.”

Wheein smiled and put on the jacket – it smelled like Byul, it smelled like spring – “ Thank you.”

“It’s beautiful isn’t it? The city lights.”

“Hum...” was Wheein only response as she looked ahead, she didn’t understand what it is about city lights that enthralled her, but she could stay here for hours, just watching them, lost in her own world.

“It’s funny isn’t it? We have the same group of friends, yet, we barely know each other.” Byul put both of her hands on her jeans pocket, kicking pebbles as she walks.

“Well, I have a lot of art activities, and you sometimes busy with your taekwondo practice, I guess we just missed out on each other.”

“You always like art?

Wheein nodded, a small smile on her lips, “My mom is an art teacher, so I always surrounded by art since birth. What about you? Why taekwondo?”

Byul scratched the back of her neck and smiled sheepishly, “I was a small kid growing up, I got bullied, no… not that bad,” she quickly added when she saw the worry in Wheein’s face, “My dad thought that defense class would be a good idea when I came home one day with scrapes and bruises on my knees.”

“What happened after you took the class?”

“For once, I never lost my lunch money anymore.” Byul laughed and shrugged, “Turns out I’m pretty good at it, and I got to really enjoy it as well, I got scholarship from it too, so… It turned out for the best?”

“I saw one of your tournament, you looked really cool and yeah… you are really good at it.”

“Stop. Did you see that?”

“See what?”

“I levitated for a moment, my head grow along with your words.”

Wheein burst out laughing, while Byul just grinned like a fool. She made Wheein laugh and what a laugh!! Score!!

“We should do this more often.”

“Yeah, I had a great time, I haven’t laugh this much in a while.”

They smiled at each other and before they knew it, they already at the bottom of the stairs leading to Wheein’s dorm.

“So, here we are.” Byul shoved both of her hands onto the pocket of her jeans and offered Wheein a small smile.

“Here we are.”

Byul smiled as she watched Wheein fidgeted with her borrowed jacket, she looked so small.

“Hey...” Byul took Wheein’s hands and engulfed it with her own, “I mean it when I said we should do this more often. Another date?”

“Okay...” Wheein drew a shaky breath and smiled softly, “Thank you for the....” her sentence was cut off as she felt Byul’s soft lips landed on her own and all thoughts left her brain. Byul’s lips were so soft against hers, just a simple pressure and then gone...

“I...” Wheein was at a loss, her heart beat faster than hell, her lips were still tingling from the kiss and she couldn’t shake the feeling that she wanted Byul to kiss her again, really kiss her.

“The festival! The date! I mean, let’s go on a date during the festival.” Wheein was flustered but Byul just grinned and nodded.

“Of course, you would need a bodyguard, since there would be a lot of people there.”

Laughing lightly at the sudden inside joke, Wheein leaned in a gave Byul a sweet peck on the cheek, “Good night, Byul.” She then covered her suddenly blushing face and ran up the stair toward her dorm, leaving a grinning Byul at the bottom.

“She likes me. She really really likes me.”

Aachoooo!!!!  

Byul sneezed out loud and realized that her jacket was still on Wheein and the gush of wind grew stronger as it already passed midnight, but Byul couldn’t care less.

“She likes me. Jung Wheein likes me.”

***

 

The festival was a success and the concert were in full swing with Red Velvet performing their hits.

Taehyun brave his way through the throng of students dancing and jumping in time with the music, two big cups of coke on each of his hands. He grinned when he spotted his date of the night, his high school junior has turned to be a really eye popper, he was extremely lucky.

“Here you go.”

“Thanks.” Yooa smiled before tugging at his elbow and whispered on his ear – so that he could hear her over the loud music – “Who is that?” she asked while pointing at a silver haired girl dancing closely with a small blond.

“The luckiest girl alive.” Taehyun murmured under his breathe, still hurt that Wheein would picked her over him.

“Really? Well, I wouldn’t mind getting lucky with her.” Yooa added, making her interest in Byul, really really clear.

Taehyun was speechless.

He looked at Yooa’s face, hoping that she’s just joking around, but the girl ignored him and kept looking at Byul with hearts shooting out of her eyes.

No. No... Not another one.... NOOOOOOOOOOO.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note

Two story in a day! Yep, I posted two story in a row, your eyes did not deceive you. It's a small fluff piece and I have to thank @usniverse for beta-ing for me. I told her I might lost my touch with fluffiness and begged her to read through it before I posted this. She said it was good enough, so I trust her XD My inspiration for this is because the biggest UWU in mamamoo - miss moonbyul - has so many women surrounding her, she is indeed one lucky girl. 

Anyway, enjoy!!! 

Cheers, 

Gabe