first

Replay

Taehyung watched the girl sitting opposite him with a curious tilt of his head. Her brows were furrowed as she typed away on her laptop, oblivious to the gaze her boyfriend held while his eyes scanned the features he fell in love with more and more every day. Her slender fingers halted in their rapid typing before she reached over the laptop to grab her cup of iced chocolate, eyes still trained on the screen as she read and reread the sentences she just typed out.

His lips tilted up into a loving smile as he watched her mindlessly grab his cup of iced latte instead. Being the cheeky little thing he was, he watched as she took a sip from his drink, knowing how much his girl detested the flavour of coffee. Her little face scrunched up into a grimace as the bitter liquid slid down and Taehyung finally let a laugh slip at the ridiculous expression. How cute can this girl get, exactly?

Her eyes snapped up to glare at the snickering male, the intense coffee flavour still strong in as she exchanged his cup for hers, letting the sweet chocolate taste wash away the bitterness.

“A warning would’ve been nice,” she harrumphed, placing her cup back onto the table.

“A warning would be nice every time you act all cute and make me fall in love with you all over again,” he spoke in his deep voice, his tone laced with amusement.

She rolled her eyes at his words, a smile that he could never get enough of gracing her pink lips. With that, she went back to typing on her laptop, once again leaving the male to watch her careful movements.

It was days like this that made Taehyung think. On days with no schedule, he liked taking time to visit his girl, even if it meant hours of sitting at a coffee shop watching her finish her lab report. They were both in university with Taehyung in his final year of Business Administration and her in her first year of Nutrition. However, they attended different universities, a mere 20 minute drive away from each other. The short drive wouldn’t usually be an obstacle for Taehyung to see her but as a senior, he rarely got any off days. That’s another reason why he was grateful for days like this to just bask in her sweet presence.

After about 10 minutes of silent typing, Taehyung’s eyes snapped towards the counter of the cafe when he heard a familiar laugh. The sight of the girl with her friends made him freeze in his seat, his rigidness obvious enough for the girl sitting opposite him to notice.

“You okay?” she inquired, a hand waving in front of his face until he returned his attention back to her, his smile once again taking over his previously shocked features, though she could sense a tinge of unease in his wary smile. He replied to her question with a nod of his head, not trusting his voice.

With a raise of her brow, she turned around in her seat to face the counter to see what had fazed her otherwise usually calm boyfriend. The group of girls waiting for their drinks were the only ones in sight, though she did not recognise any of them. She turned back to him and asked out of curiousity, “You know them?”

With a gulp, he responded, “She’s my ex,” his head nodding at the girl accepting her drink from the barista. From his nervousness and quiet whisper, she could tell that the girl wasn’t an ex he wanted to remember. Her lips parted to inquire more about the girl before a gasp was heard behind her, followed by a shocked, “Kim Taehyung?”

She could almost hear his dread as he got up from his seat and greeted the girl with an obviously forced smile.

“It’s been ages, Mina,” he said as she went in for a friendly hug one would expect between long lost friends. He then introduced the girl at his table as his girlfriend. She got up from the table too and extended her hand for a friendly handshake to which Mina accepted gratefully.

As she pulled her hand away, she couldn’t help but notice certain things about Mina. Her dark wavy hair, her laptop tucked underneath her arm as she asked Taehyung about his life and her soft smile that calmed her down despite just meeting.

She snapped out of her daze when the girl turned to her and bid her farewell before heading out the cafe with her friends. She smiled in return before taking her seat in front of her half-finished lab report once again, her eyes settling on her boyfriend in question as he sighed in relief at his ex’s departure.

“She seems nice,” she stated, chin settling on the palm of her hand as she eyed her boyfriend.

He snorted at her observation, “You wouldn’t think so if you saw her when we were together.”

She tilted her head in curiosity at his words, obviously needing more of an explanation.

He shook his head and sipped on his latte, “We’ll talk about it another time.”