untitled4.

Secrets: The Crucifix

4. The truth that needed to be told.

Gikwang was sitting at the same table while Im Joowan stared at him. Yoona's brother had met Gikwng a few times before since they always hanged out together, discussing about murder cases from this man's father which at first he hated. His sister was a girl and shouldn't be constantly talking about murderers and what sort of behavioural patterns psychopath have in common nor the way the murderer killed their victim based on their lifestyle. It was gruesome and un-ladylike. Yet, he found out how skillful Yoona was at reading people based on what she had learned in Psychology. 

"It has been a while since I saw you Gikwang." He commented and took a sip of his coffee. "What brings you back?" He asked and his words could have meant different stuff which the detective will think about later. Now he needed the details of the accident. He was taking a big risk focusing on this case rather than the Crucifix for now, assuming that Yoona's case was linked to it. He simply took on the criminal's standpoint and based on the date and time of accident, there was some chances that Yoona might have seen something.

"Hyung. I am here today to ask about the day of the accident." He said and Joowan's expression harden. That day was when everything took a shift in Yoona and his life. “Yoona mentioned that she was told Mrs. Im (real name Kim Saeyeon) was in the accident with her which our system doesn’t hold any records of. It is a painful memory but I would like it if you could tell me more about it and cooperate with me." Gikwang said and rested his arms on the table, patiently waiting for him to speak up.

"Actually Gikwang. Even us were a little bit surprised that they had never come investigate later on. To be honest, we simply told Yoona that mother and her got into an accident. It was more than this." He started to say and looked around. "But we were told to be kept quiet or Yoona, the sole survivor, could be in deep danger." He said and sighed. "Authority Gikwang. Someone at the top is controlling this case." He took another sip of his coffee. "Mother and Yoona witnessed a crime on that night when the two of them remained outside....” He stopped and looked at the detective’s calm expression. “My mother in order to protect Yoona let her go first and my terrified sister got hit by a car.” He said and sighed. “In order to protect the witnesses at first, we were told that not the whole situation would be reported, or the culprit could come back. The case was later closed and my father and I both went personally to the police station to report it, these last words from my mother to that detective in charged, but we were told to go home.”

”So your mother told you that she witnessed a crime with Yoona.” Gikwang stated in order to make sure this was what the brother was telling him.

”Yes. Apart from my mother, Yoona would be the person you would be looking for.” He said.

”Can I know specifically where they went? Or will there be anyone who would know?”

”I heard Yoona saying she wanted to get some stuff for a friend who was leaving the country." He replied and Gikwang remained silent for a bit. Being a cool-headed person as he was, Gikwang had to admit that whenever Yoona was mentioned and how slowly he was disocvering what really happened 8 years ago. He wasn't sure if he was ready to learn the whole truth but at least he knew, unexpected events occured and at that time, they just weren't meant to be. He couldn't speak fr the future either but he felt better about what happened in the past knowing that it was a misunderstanding.

"What about witnesses to their incident?" He asked and the brother shook his head. 

"None. They were a little further than the hotpoint of the city. I wasn't sure what exactly they needed to buy but there weren't any witnesses. At least that was what we think." The detective remembered that night's victim was also outside of the city. Yoona and her mother's that night's location could be debateable but it added another point towards his assumptions. Still far but a little closer now.

Gikwang nodded to himself and indeed, even if this case wasn't linked to the case he was working on now, he could see how this case is extremely suspiscious. No one followed up with them, nothing was done. Now he needed to find out who was in charged of the case and who was the one who gave the executive order. And with his rank currently he couldn't possibly do that, but he exactly knew who to find to get full authority on this case. 

"Concerning your sister's current health situation, have you ever decided to try to restore her memories?" He asked and Joowan shook his head. 

"We tried to avoid employing the harsh method..." Joowan explained and sighed. "Didn't work."

Gikwang thought for a bit. Those methods didn't work but didn't mean there wasn't no other ways. He thought of some possibilities and he simply needed to confirm with her doctor before proceeding to the next steps. He needed to be extremely cautious to those around him and around Yoona. Someone or some people could lef the muderer to discover about her. He didn't figure out why the culprit hadn't found Yoona yet, but he will. Right now he simply needed to do 2 things: 1) get fll authority on this case and executive order, 2) contact the doctors. And there wasn't any time to lose because they were approaching the 16th of the month and the murderer would be on the move soon. And he exactly knew where he could get the full authority on the case.

"Gikwang." Yoona's brother suddenly called out. "Among all of Yoona's friends, you've been the one who she hanged out with the most. You were important to her. But there were a lot of things we couldn't know how to mention it to others, and without mentioning you've already moved out after everything had passed. Then I learned you went to the UK. That's when I realized that night Yoona was trying to buy you something. Sorry to not have told you either."

Gikwang sat up and looked at Joowan into the eyes. "Hyung, let me ask you something. I am asking you as Gikwang. As a friend." He started. "Did you wish Yoona never remembered anything at all?" He asked and the brother remained silent for a while.

"Yes. I do wish she never remembered and that... considered the death of our mother... our father as a punishment we've get from God." His expression darken. "Those memories weren't pleasant at all. During her coma, Yoona would have had reactions and few times, her heartbeats would become so unstable that doctors needed to inject medications into her. I don't know what exactly happened but when she was brought into the hospital, she was covered in blood and she was crying. She was calling out for mother... Do you think I wished she would remember everything that had happened? No." He finished and he closed his eyes, trying to calm himself down. "As a brother, I really did hope she would simply continue her life, although as an empty shell." He said. "But as a citizen, I do hope the culprit would be catched because if he discovered Yoona's still alive, she would be in great danger."

"Don't worry Hyung. I wouldn't let anyone hurt her nor even lay a hand on her nor a strand of hair." He said and said one last thing. "But you do know the severity of these cases. I will need to tell everything to Yoona." The brother nodded. At this point, there weren't much choices. He had protected his precious little sister from any harmful memories for years now, and had doctors to help her in a pacific way without triggering too much in her. But it never worked. And seeing how disappointed everytime Yoona came back home from her monthly checkups, part of him already knew that until they can exposed her to the truth behind their mother's death, nothing would help her. And this was the last resort they've got. She was a grown woman. She could handle it. If not, he would be there with her anyways.

———

"General Commissioner." Gikwang greeted once he entered the office. The man looked at Gikwang and let out a laugh. 

"Gikwang-ah. The door's closed now, feel free to be at ease. I am your grandfather, you don't need to be so formal." Lee Donghoon became a father at a very young age, and so was still considered "young" to continue his job, though seriously considering retiring soon. Gikwang's father's side were all part of the police force. His uncle is the superintendant of the army. "What brings you all the way here?" He asked and he knew Gikwang would never try to use his connections to get something he want unless it was something very important and needed his grandfather's help. His grandchild's current position had been attain in his young age by his own. His relationships and family background had been concealed for his privacy's sake.

"I need your help. I am investigating in a serial killing case and everything so far is going well."

"And how well is that?"

"Finding a witness." His grandfather smiled. He had never underestimated his grandchild. Gikwang's father had decided to retire earlier than him, and to stop his promotion, to give up the chance to rank up to his position, but he knew Gikwang had great potential, greater than his father's. He was a fierced beast, the precious gem of the police force. At such young age, he already received praises from the UK police force and has a great reputation, in South Korea, now. Everyone is looking up to him. 

"What do you need?" He asked. Despite his grandchild's cold behaviour, he knew that it wasn't because he hated him or doesn't care. It was simply his character. He was raised to be always cool-headed because emotions could alter one's thoughts. And Gikwang's thought process needed his cold attitude, unattached to everything because he needed to detach himself from himself and become the criminal's mind.

"I need full authority on the case. The only one who could give executive orders."

"Interesting. Tell me more about the case."

"One of our old national case. The Cruxifix. I ran upon a case which led me to assume that the two cases might be linked. He held out his phone to show his grandfather a map of red circles. "Adding that witness' accident of that night, I can confirm that, they could be possibly there that night and might have witnessed more than simply the murderer's face. Furthermore. Any information or investigation process, or statements and the file itself have disappeared. Someone's concealing the truth behind it. It could be either someone within/retired from our police force or it could be from the prosecution office. Also, as the next victim's date is coming up, I want to gather as much information as possible to identify the murderer or even the next location. It is bothersome that there weren't one single evidence gathered either somoene have neglected their responsibilities or someone failed to mention it. And with this, I need to be able to have full control of the case, as we could have a spy among us."

"Granted. I believe in your judgement. And I will trust it." His grandfather said. He didn't approve it because he was simply his grandchild. But because the points being brought up were in fact very interesting and suspiscious. Without forgetting also the fact someone might be manipulating the cases behind their backs. This was something that needed his attention since not only it concerned the public (because of the murdering case of 8 years) and also the police force (a potential spy). He picked up the phone and spoke something into the phone and turned back to his grandchil. "Done. Lee Gikwang. From this day, you are the executive inspector of this case. Anyone who dares to go against you means going against the nation and shall be arrested." 

"Yes." Gikwang saluted. 

"By the way. When are you bringing a wife home?" He asked and Gikwang let out a laugh for this sudden change of subject. 

"Later Grand." He said and left. He never brought anyone to any family dinner and even if he mentioned few times before that he was dating someone, the relationship never lasted for more than 2 weeks. Despite the great capabilities that Gikwang had in investigation, his love life seems a little more troublesome. 

"Go grab the papers needed from the reception!"

"Yes, yes." He said as he walked up to the receptionist who already had the paper ready for him. "Thanks." He said and now with these papers, he would be able to contact the doctors. He had some ideas on how to trigger memories and he was almost certain Joowan haven't tried with Yoona yet nor the doctors. He sent a quick message to his team's information gatherer, Kim Haejoon to contact Yoona's doctor. He afterwards dialed Yoona's house number which he saved on his personal phone. After a few ring, she finally picked up.

"Hello?" He heard her sweet voice said on the other line. 

"Ms. Im. It is me, Lee Gikwang, the detective." He announced and she greeted him. "I have some important matters to discuss with you and also the next steps we would be undertaking." He explained and he could feel the hesitation from her. "When would you be free?" He asked.

"Hearing your voice and pauses you've taken, I can say it wouldn't be something pleasing for me to hear right? Concerning my mother's death perhaps?" She asked. "I am free the rest of the day, feel free to drop by." She said and he told her he would be here in an hour.