untitled3.

Secrets: The Crucifix

"Yoona-ah!" She heard Jaekyeon, her stepsister called out from afar. Her stepsister had always liked attending these events. She was a model and received quite a lot of commercials on her own. She was currently dating a lawyer from Cha Byungjae's family. A family of lawyers who own a law firm. Every single person in the room who needed a lawyer and consulting asked them to do it. 

"Unnie." She greeted calmly and noticed her boyfriend's eyes on her. Dongwoon stepped in and greeted the two of them. 

"Son Dongwoon." The man who eyed Yoona now turned away. The Son family were people they shouldn't mess with. They own the biggest IT company which organizes and stored datas in all of the other high society companies. It allowed all of them to do different transactions and combined with the law firm, it protected the  high society members and also staying within "being legal". 

"Honey, let's leave the two of them. They are each other's date anyways." The man said and Jaekyeon nodded then waved at Yoona. If you compared the two of them, Jaekyeon had the body, the fame and naive. She was simple minded and very sensitive to her emotions. Maybe it was the environment she was brought up in, she never needed to suffer because her mother did everything for her to be protected from any harmful situations. She was a grown-up with the experience of a 3 years old child. Yoona on the other hand experienced it all. Losses of every kind. She was someone who barely had any emotions on her face and simply remained calm in any situation. She wasn't a model, nor worked in any big companies of the High Society because she was still studying, but she attracted a lot of people with her presence which she got from her father. Her mother was from a family of doctor and herself being a doctor. Her family lived in Germany currently which Yoona wished to be able to visit one day.

Dongwoon pushed her and on their way were greeted by different people on their way. And eventually they were surrounded by different people who some wished to be able to cooperate with the Son company's CEO who was a great investor and IT developper. Yoona successfully slipped away from the crowd and went by the big windows of the ballroom at the back of the hall. The moon was especially closed and round that night. 

 Gikwang and Doojoon got off the car respectively which someone offered to park their cars for them. Gikwang arranged his tie and looked around. "Nervous? I don't see sister-in-law anywhere. His friend turned to him and glared into his eyes. 

"Don't call her sister-in-law in front of her. And behave yourself or I will make sure to burry you alive and make it seem like and accident." The detetcive warned him. Doojoon lifted up his arms in the air in surrender. 

"Son Dongwoon's very punctual. He should already be there." He said and arranged his hair. "Let's go find sister-in-law shall we now... you actually. I am going to stop that traitor from coming to you guys. Use your time well." Doojoon said and patted his friend's shoulder. They walked into the reception which they received already glances from all the young ladies of the place who might be here today to try to find a husband perhaps. But Gikwang had no eyes for any of them. 

"Good evening Mr. Yoon. Mr. Lee." The receptionist greeted and asked them to sign their names. Gikwang picked up the book and flipped through the pages looking for Yoona's name. The receptionist nervously looked at Doojoon who assured her everything will be fine and apologized for his friend's behaviour.

"Let's go. They are here." He said and held the book back to the receptionist and continued his way after signing his name. 

"Chill down would you not?" Doojoon asked and waved at the ladies on his way in. While Gikwang remained indifferent. The sudden reacion from ladies to their entries attracted the attention of Dongwoon who now noticed Yoona was no longer besides him. He then made eye contact with Doojoon and Gikwang. Doojoon without any hesitation approached his old friend. "Son Dongwoon. I see that you have now become the CEO of the Son Group. I never had the chance to congradulate you." He said and held out his hand. He greeted the people around Dongwoon and turned back to him. 

Gikwang approached the people and simply stared at Dongwoon. "Hello." Dongwoon said and Gikwang didn't reply and clenched his teeth. That old friend of them who betrayed them. 12 years ago, when the three of them were still friends got caught being involved with gansters which in fact Gikwang wanted to track them down and help his father catch the culprit of a case. To keep himself safe, fearing that thy would retain a criminal records, luckily Dongwoon's family used their ties to get him out but he was forbidden to get his friends out with him or his grandfather would make the 2 of his friends stay there while the case will closed.

And the worst of all, Dongwoon manipulated Yoona to be on his side. Lying about the truth. "Seems like you are doing perfectly fine after all these years." Gikwang commented and smiled. "Still hid the truth? You are even attending the even with her. Where is she? I would like to personally greet her." He said and Dongwoon remained silent. 

"You don't want?" Asked Doojoon. "Seemed like you are afraid of something."

"Hyung."

"Don't call us that, I don't think we are that close." Doojoon said and sighed before he whispered to his ear. 

"Yoona... doesn't remember anything."

Doojoon looked at Gikwang with his eye wide opened while Gikwan didn't know how to react to this. Was this jerk lying? "And you dared to not even tell us about it until now. Best betrayal award goes to you."

Gikwang now needed to talk to Yoona even more. she was the type to remain outside of the crowds... He noticed the familiar figure by the windows which he didn't look at earlier when he came into the ballroom. He walked away and before Dongwoon could follow, Doojoon stopped him. "So CEO Son is looking for a partner?" He asked and it was enough to draw in people's attention to come up to him. While Doojoon remained to keep watch, Gikwang went up to Yoona, while his heart tighten, yet still managed to maintain a poker face. 

She was drinking water only and he wondered how she felt having to be on that wheelchair. When he met her, growing up together, she was a girl who wanted to join the police force like him. The two of them were constantly analyzing cases that his father had secretly or played online games together to solve crimes. A girl who preferred staying with him. 

Feeling that someone was starring at her, she lifted up her eyes and noticed a man looking right at her. She looked around uncomfortably and bowed her head knowing that he was looking at her and not somone behind her or around her. He came up to her and crouched down. "Im Yoona." He called and she looked right into his eyes. She noticed faint pain among them. "Did you really forget? Was I misunderstanding you for the past 8 years?" He asked and she remained silent. What was he talking about.

She still had the same eyes, filled with sparkles when she smiled, curiosity when she was faced with cases and peace. She looked pretty in the picture on the screem but even prettier face to face. Right. After Dongwoon, Gikwang met her in middle school which he instantly took a liking in her. They shared the same interests, the same taste and knew exactly what each other think of.

They said muscles remembers even if the brain didn't. Yoona felt like her heart was about to jump out of her chest. There she wondered who this man might be. It never happened to her once. Why now? This person claimed to know her before her accident. "I...I'm very sorry. Who are you?" She asked. There. Her voice. Lower pitched but still sweet to his ears. Im Yoona. The only girl who was able to melt the cold-hearted Lee Gikwang. 8 years ago, he asked Yoona to be in a relationship with him, and that they would do long-distance. He promised to come back once he would be done with what he needed to do. He told her to give her an answer to him, either a yes or no face to face. He waited the whole night and even the next day, she never came to him. 

'She's not acting. She can't be acting.' He thought and cleared his throat. "I am a detective." He announced. "My name is Lee Gikwang." He continued. "I am currently investigating a case and I believe you could be possibly linked to it." She looked at him in confusion and she nodded. 

"If it is something I can help you with, then for sure I will. But there is a little problem. I believe it is a case that happened 8 years ago. Anything before 2010... I have no memories of it." 

"Don't worry. We will find a way. Now I simply need your assistance. Here is my phone number, is there a way to reach you to go over how we will proceed afterwards?" He asked and she nodded. She took out post-its and wrote down her phone number. 

"I don't own a cellphone so this is my apartment's phone. I am usually home." She said. And she looked at him. "Did we meet before?" She asked and he shrugged.

"When your memories find you, you will know." He said and turned away where Doojoon came to join them. 

"Hey Sister-In-Law." He greeted which Gikwang quickly grabbed his friend from saying anything more. "Bye sister-in-law." He said and waved.

"Sister-in-Law?" She asked herself and Dongwoon came up to her.

———

"Why didn't you tell her everything?" Doojoon asked and Gikwang remained silent for a while. He turned to his friend and shook his head. Between the two of them, Doojoon was the one who was in the most relationships, a total player. But seems like Giwang is actually the one who knows the best this time. Maybe because it was Yoona that they were talking about. A Yoona who doesn't have any memories of their past.

"The past is the past. I will make the present Yoona fall in love with the today's me." He said and held up the piece of paper. "And without forgetting she is involved in my case." He said and Doojoon smiled. 

"I see how you're doing it." He said and shook his head in disbelief.

———

That day Yoona was alone in the apartment when she received a call from the detective she met a few days ago to start investigating the case he was holding. She prepared tea and as soon as she was done, someone knocked on her door which she went to open it for the detective. "Good morning Mr. Detective." She greeted and invited him inside the house. 

"Good morning Ms. Im." He said which felt very awkward. He sat down at the couch and Yoona held a cup of tea to him. "Black Tea." She said and sat in front of him holding a cup in her own hands. She simply waited for him to announce the reason for his visit today. He cleared his throat. "The reason for my visit today is that I am suspecting you being a witness of a serial murder case that first started in 2007. The same year you've gotten into accident. However, there weren't any information concerning your accident which was even more suspiscious." He said and his eyes met hers.

"I see... Actually, It was indeed strange now that you've mentioned it, since I woke up from my coma, I didn't receive any detective's visit." She mentioned and he was waiting for her to continue her tale. "I was in a very deep coma for 3 years since 2007. I simply woke up 5 years ago. I think I won't be able to tell you much about what I know since myself don't know how long it would take to regain my memories. Another week? Another year? 10 years? Or perhaps never even." She said but then held out a piece of paper. "These are the people where you could possibly find information about it. My brother Im Joowan would be the first you would want to keep in touch with. Then my stepmother..."

"Stepmother?" He asked and Yoona realized that she jumped over a lot of details.

"My mother was in the accident with me, from what I heard. My father passed away shortly after."

Now he get why she didn't have time. Everything happened all at once. And without her memories she couldn't possibly remember he was waiting for her. Gikwang took a sip of the tea she prepared and remembered the ones she always used to prepare. Subconsciously, she was still the same person.