Elephants

The Family Man

Ronnie's POV

(A Few Weeks Later, At The House In Jeju...)

I catch a quick glimpse of a body darting behind the couch, and then a series of giggles and shushing noises. It's been going on for the past twenty-minutes, so I continue to ignore it knowing that the girls are up to something. 

"It's working!" Rainne hisses extremely loud and the other two snarl at her to shut-up. 

"What's working," I comment finally blowing their cover. Three little heads pop up one by one with surprised and guilty expressions, and I begin to smile watching the different parts of Ji-Hoon and myself flex on their faces. "What are you girls up to?"

"Ohhhhhhh, Maaaaaaaaa" Rainne whines coming out of hiding first to cuddle up to me on the loveseat within the living room. 

"Oh, Maaaaaaaaaaaa," I whine even more before beginning to pepper her face with kisses and tickles. "You might as well tell me, because none of you can keep a secret."

"Can too!" Zula challenges and I raise my eyebrows, and she winces. "Not that we're keeping a secret! Or that there's anything to tell! We were just-"

Bonnie jecks her sister's arm and Zula nods thankful for the rescue. "We...Were just checking on you, mom...You know...Making sure everything is cool with you."

"Really?"

"Yep," Rainne adds peering up at me with a closed-mouthed grin. 

I lean over and rest my head my top of her's. "Oh, well that's very sweet of you...But whatever it is, you might as well come clean now."

"It isn't anything bad," Zula clarifies and I nod. "It's just-"

Bonnie tugs on her sister again. "It's nothing...Right, guys?"

"Right!" Rainne chimes, before turning menacing. "You'll never make us talk!" I feel my eyes narrow becoming even more suspicious, as Rainne continues to dramatize the situation. "You can torture us..or even kill us. Appa entrusted to enact his secret plan, but you'll never uncover it!"

"Then just shut-up," Bonnie adds giving her a look. "At this rate, you're gonna give it away."

"Not!" Zula shouts. "That there's anything to give away!"

"Smooth," I chuckle as each girl begins to fidget. "Well, it's too bad...because I was just about to fix myself a big, bowl of ice-cream...I think I'm feeling Chocolate-Chunk, instead of my usual coffee."

"Cho-Chocolate-Chunk?" Bonnie hesitates and I nod. 

"Yeah, I might even get a little fancy and add in a peanut-butter and caramel drizzle..." I answer enticing them further, watching to see who's gonna crack first. I shrug getting up non-chalantly in order to head into the kitchen. 

"But-But," Zula quips. "It's before dinner," she reminds, reciting one of our major house rules. 

"I know," I mock beginning to take down three bowls. "And just like you share secrets with your father, we could have one of our own..."

"We-We Could?" Zula questions and I nod taking down three large bowls. 

"But, I see where your loyalties lie...Although if you ask me, mine taste better," I add theatrically, deciding to push them over the edge. "You know, I think this needs Honey-Roasted-Cashews-"

"ALRIGHT! I'll talk!!" Rainne wails jumping up from the couch, to face where I am. "Daddy's setting up a romantic dinner, out by the pool!!!"

"Ow! Rainne!!!" Bonnie whines chucking a nearby throw pillow, and her tiny frame sways gracefully to miss it. 

"Mom's right! You can't keep anything!" Zula groans plopping down on the couch, and I'm taking down three small bowls from the cupboard beginning to dish out ice-cream.

"What?! She was gonna add nuts! Honey-Roasted!!!" She bellows, dodging another pillow thrown by Bonnie. "It's not like I told her about the diamond necklace."

"Alright, that's enough. Come get your ice-cream," I laugh finishing up the three bowls, and they rush to the counter. 

Rainne jumps down excitedly rushing up to recieve her reward, while the other two trudge to their spots. They climb up and begin to eat, and I beam with pride watching them. 

"Can you at least act surprised?" Bonnie hedges and I give her a wink before putting the ice-cream away. 

"Surprised about what?" Ji-Hoon repeats jogging into the room from the opposite hall. He takes one look at the four of us, and the chocolate stained faces of our girls before he starts groaning. "Aww! Don't tell me you caved!!"

Both Zula and Bonnie sink a little in their seats, while Rainne eats another spoonful of her ice cream unapologetically. 

"You guys promised."

Rainne begins to scratch her chin, beginning a low and breathy sound in order to resemble Vito Corleone. "...She made me an offer, I couldn't refuse..."

"Okay, so you can get on me about watching Ninja Assassin? But the fact that our four-year old can quote and accurately use The Godfather in a conversation-"

"Ron, it's a staple in cinematography!" He argues before cracking into a grin. "She was bound to see it," he chuckles and I raise my eyebrows questioningly. "...Eventually."

"Well, if it helps..we haven't seen Scarface" Zula tries and I shake my head with another smile. "Although we still need to finish part two of Kill Bill."

"Okay-Okay-Okay!" Ji-Hoon says waving his hands in front of his face. "After you finish, your dinner is in the dining room...You girls gonna be okay for the rest of the night?"

"Yeah, Dad..We've got it covered," Zula answers. "We'll probably just watch movies or go in the booth."

"The studio? Again?" Rainne groans. "We spent amost twenty-four hours in there last night."

"More like three," Zula corrects. "Besides, writing takes time. Not to mention we had to layer different tracks in order to get the right sound-"

"BOR-ING!!!" Rainne yells and Zula rolls her eyes. 

"Well, I'm sorry if spending hours upon hours dancing to stupid music videos isn't my idea of fun."

"Of course it isn't, because it requires exercise," Bonnie teases causing Zula to tear up and I step in immediately. 

"And you're finished," I sass clearing away her bowl which is still pretty full, as Ji-Hoon is muffling his amusement. "And if I ever hear of you making another comment like that to her or anyone else..." I glower allowing my eyes to finish my threat. "You three are all beautiful, talented and too smart to be mean to anyone. Including each other. And one thing I will not foster, is a bully...Is that understood?" 

All three of them fall silent, and I snap my fingers forcing them all to look at me. 

"I said," I snarl, in English so they know I mean business. "Is that, understood?"

"Yes, ma'm..." they reply. 

I nod, finalizing the conversation. "Alright, get to bed."

"What about dinner?!" Rainne questions worriedly and Ji-Hoon scoops her down from the counter-stool. 

"You know what she means," he says low giving the signal that they're dismissed. "Here don't forget your ice-cream."

The three of them walk out of the room, and I don't feel better until I see Zula flaunt the fact that she still has ice-cream towards Bonnie as they exit. 

"Admit it. She's your favorite," Ji-Hoon peers waving a finger at me. 

"I'm a mother. I don't have favorites," I scoff preparing to wash the dishes. "I relate to her easier...And I'll be damned if she goes through the same emotional scarring I had too."

"Fair."

"Yeah, well it doesn't help when you laugh" I chastize and he opens his mouth to defend himself but he can't, feeling his lips pull into a grin. 

"Bon whipped that comeback out so fast, I didn't have time to react" he whispers still finding it funny. "And it was spot on! Especially since Zu's chunkier than her sisters-"

"I don't care if she's 3000lbs. As her father, you can't laugh!" I frown starting to become upset. "...Remember how it was when I took you home the first time. And Janice called me the fat-joke of the family-"

"Yeah, and if she had been a dude, I could've knocked her teeth out..."

I smile still seeing how much it bothers him. "Well...It's the same thing...Don't be my mother in this comparison."

He frowns thinking it over before coming up behind me, placing his arms around my frame. I shift a little uncomfortably and I feel him tense in my response. 

"Are you going to tell me what's bothering you?"

"What are you talking about?"

He plants his lips on the dip in my neck and I manuever my skin out from under his lips. "..That," he says a bit flat. "Is, something wrong?"

"Of-Of course not."

"You stammered," he answers not missing a beat. 

I dry my hands on a nearby dishcloth, and come out of the kitchen. 

"And you won't look at me," he sighs following.

"What are you talking about? I look at you all of the time" I say beginning to straighten up the living room. 

He grabs my arms to spin me lightly into him, ducking around trying to kiss me and I dodge him again. "Ronnie."

"What."

"You're sure you're alright?" He asks reaching up to hold my face. 

"I'm fine," I answer reflexively and he exhales even harder. 

"Just say it, then" he breathes bracing himself. "Whatever it is. Not matter how bad- You can tell me-"

"Ji-"

"Is it the baby?" He begins guessing. "I know it's high-risk. And although we had complications with Rainne, it doesn't mean it has to be the same with lil'-man."

I automatically start tearing up hearing his concern, but yet how he's still trying to comfort me through it all. 

"Ji, it's not the baby-"

"Then it's about you?" He rushes out, not giving me a chance to explain. "What did the doctors say? Did they determine a plan of action?"

"JI-HOON!" I shout over him. "Everything and everyone is, fine."

He leans away from me to see me clearer, before starting to get upset. "Then what is it?" He groans. "I swear ever since I came back, you've been different..."

"I haven't been any different-"

"You won't look at me. You shy away anytime I try to touch you. And anytime we're alone, you find something else to do or come between us-"

"I think you're overreacting."

"Because I'm telling it like it is?" He challenges. "Something is definitely up! Now what is it? And more importantly, why is it taking this long for you to tell me."

"Because Ji, it's nothing."

"So, it's definitely something!" He says refusing to drop it. "I mean, I've been home for a few weeks and we haven't-"

"Ji, please!" I say begging him not to push the issue. 

"No, Ron. The only time we've ever been this distant, is when you found out..." He says falling silent, allowing his eyes to brim. "...Are you coming out of remission?"

"No," I answer steadily seeing how badly this is affecting him. "I'm embarrassed."

"Embarrassed?"

I nod feeling my own emotions start to take over. "Yes. I'm embarrassed. Even more so now."

"What? Why? What is there for you to be embarrassed about?"

"Because..."

"Because, why?"

"Because you never meant to come home to an elephant seal!!!" I blither. 

"A, what?" He says beginning to laugh. "Did you honestly just compare yourself to an elephant?"

"An elephant seal!!" I stress and I feel his arms wrap around me and I let him.  

"Is that any better?" He chuckles low teasing me. "I think I'd rather just be an elephant."

"Ugh! I swear, I can't stand you sometimes."

"Too bad, we're married," he says with another laugh. "Now what's going on?"

"You!"

"Me?"

"Yeah, you!" I complain. "When you left me two months ago, I was beautiful...Just beginning to show. A slight bump, and now I'm-"

"Pregnant," he smiles like I'm missing the obvious. 

"But like more so!!!" I argue. "I mean, have you seen me. Like really seen me!!"

"YOU'RE PREGNANT!" He laughs unkindly. 

"Pregnant! I'm a float at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!" I joke. "All you need is a piece of string, and I could soar in the sky!"

His eyes disappear from laughing so hard, and he wraps me in a tighter hug. My arms reach up to squeeze his torso. 

"And don't even get me started on my nose....It's its own planet."

"We're having a boy..." he reminds me lovingly. "This go round is bound to be different."

"Different. Not ugly," I pout. "Especially when you come back looking amazing as ever."

"Like you noticed."

"Ji, I can't stand to look at you. You look better than ever..."

"Even at 42?"

"Oh come on, just admit that Pharell turned you into a vampire," I huff resting into his hold. "You haven't changed since the day I met you."

"Not true, I've got more salt in my hair."

"SALT-BAE!!!" I groan before starting to laugh. "I swear it's heading towards George Clooney status."

"You know what you're problem is, you've still got me on that pedestal."

"I can't help it...You're perfect," I explain. "Almost painfully so."

"How do you mean?"

"Waking up to you is not only unfair but selfishly inkind!" I scold. "And you know I have a weakness for you in the morning..Shirtless...with nothing but your tight boxer shorts that just accentuate everything I'd love to bite into."

"Then why don't you!!!" He shouts letting me go to grin at me hopefully.

"Because the last thing I feel right now is y...Especially compared to you."

"And me, I can't help but think the exact opposite..." he says adoringly. "You've never looked lovelier."

"You're such a bad liar."

"I'm serious, Ron...if you had any idea what I'd love to do with you-"

"Please, I doubt if you could find me underneath all of this," I say motioning to my stomach.

He places himself in between my legs, grinding a little into me and I automatically feel my breathing start to change. "Are you finally going to give me the chance to try?"

"...What about dinner," I ask.

He turns me slow, hooking his hands on my love-handles already starting to grip them. "I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm fixing my plate as we speak," he adds guinding me back to feel how hard he is.

I feel my nose flare as I bite hard on my lips to keep from squealing...

And in less than three seconds, I'm pulling his hand forcing him to follow me into the bedroom.