Chapter 1

Marked

 

 

 

WARNING: The King is a creep... be aware of that.

 


 

Darkness.

 

Nothing but darkness surrounded him. Baekhyun couldn't breathe, the icy water filling his lungs as he opened his lips in a soundless scream. This was it, this was the end. There was no point in fighting the huge mass of water that was enclosing around his thin frame. He always suspected it would come down to this. That he would die alone, somewhere in-

 

Something inside him snapped and he felt the energy leaving his body as if it was being out. His eyes fluttered open and he felt a sharp sting of bright light, temporarily blinding him. He closed them again, arching his back and falling back into the silky sheets of his own bed. His whole body trembled, covered in a glistening sheen of sweat. Shakily, he brought one of his hands to his forehead, feeling his hair sticking to the skin.

 

"Let me help you, master." The slave boy by his side gently signed him to put his hand away and then placed a cold cloth over his forehead. 

 

Baekhyun sighed in relief, the coldness numbing the splitting pain that pulsated through his head. He allowed himself to sink back to the reality before taking a proper look around. He was back in his chambers, the bright yellowish tone of the walls as unwelcoming as he remembered.  

 

"Thank you, Luhan." He mumbled and the boy dipped his head low in submission, backing away from Baekhyun. 

 

"Don't go." Baekhyun heard himself saying. He reached out for the blonde boy but managed to stop himself before their skin connected. He wasn't allowed to touch anyone and no one was allowed to touch him. Baekhyun sighed tiredly, bringing the hand back to his forehead and beckoning Luhan to sit one the edge of the bed, next to him. The boy slowly reached out towards the small table beside Baekhyun's large bed and slowly shuffled closer, keeping his eyes casted on the ground while he handed Baekhyun a pair of leather gloves and then settling down next to him.

 

The dark haired male accepted them with grateful smile, feeling a tinge of guilt, seeing as Luhan kept his stare firmly on the ground. No slave was allowed to look at their owners.

 

"Keep me company." Baekhyun said gently, his chest still rising up and down heavily.

 

Luhan fidgeted in his seat, the ray of sunlight falling over his hair, reflecting in the blonde strands beautifully. "Did you have bad dream again, master?" 

 

Baekhyun nodded, grimacing slightly at the memory. This dream, this vision or whatever it was, was bothering him lately. He wasn't sure of the meaning. Usually his visions were very clear. Most often they came along with the physical contact. As soon as he touched someone, anyone... he could see the string of fate tied to their life. Sometimes it was just a sharp outline of what was to come and sometimes, only moments of deeper meaning played out in front of his eyes. Those kind of physical contacts were emotionally and physically straining him. The longer he kept the contact, the more he would see but everything came with its price. If the King was particularly insistent on thoroughly searching through the connection of some individuals, Baekhyun could go as far as to loose consciousness. 

 

Then there were visions that would come naturally to him, during his sleep or sometimes even in the middle of broad daylight. There was no need for contact skin-to-skin. Though, those were very rare. It often involved a large group of people that were affected by a great change or a certain decision. Sometimes Baekhyun would see the outcome and sometimes he would only see the way. It depended on the situation.

 

And then this dream, this nightmare that has been steadily haunting his mind for the past few months. Baekhyun couldn't tell if it was just pure imagination or if it was a vision. He wasn't even sure if it was important. The only thing he knew was that he was scared. The fear was there, always present. Something about the dream was quite unsettling .

 

"I would give anything to stop this from happening." Baekhyun admitted. Luhan smiled to himself and reached out to change the wet cloth on Baekhyun's forehead. A whimper escaped his mouth as the familiar coldness hit him again. 

 

"Is it uncomfortable, master?" Luhan asked, his hand hanging in the air, unsure of what to do.

 

"No, on the contrary actually. My head feels like its going to split in half. This helps a bit." Baekhyun watched as Luhan smiled again. "I like when you smile."

 

Luhan blushed and turned his head down, refusing to look up. "Please, do not say that, master." 

 

"You're not going to stop calling me master anytime soon, right?" Baekhyun crooked his brow and watched as Luhan's face grew redder with every passing second. 

 

"No, master."

 

Baekhyun chuckled. He thought it might be better this way. If anyone heard Luhan dropping honorifics towards him it would get him in great trouble and Baekhyun didn't want to do that. He valued the slave boy too much for that. Luhan was his only friend, the only person that made him want to hold onto the last bits of his sanity. He knew that without him, Luhan would be doomed. They shared a strange bond from the day Baekhyun spotted him on the street.

 

The King had took him out of the palace then, not for the kindness of his heart but for sheer display of power. Having everyone watching them as they strolled down the streets, through the market place, gave people a slight hope that the king was on their side, that he actually cared, but keeping his hand on Baekhyun's lower back the whole time also served as a reminder of what kind of power the King held. He owned Baekhyun, and as long as he had him, he was invincible.

 

They had been on their way back when Baekhyun had laid his eyes on Luhan for the first time. He had been in the middle of receiving a harsh beating. His blonde hair was matted, sticking out in random directions and his skin a sickening shade of gray. The collar around his neck was so tight it left bruises on the spots where it dug into his delicate skin. 

 

Unable to watch the horrendous scene that had played out in front of his eyes, Baekhyun had stepped aside and asked the King to take him in, as his personal slave. He still remembers how he tended to Luhan's wounds the following nights after that incident. How the boy flinched at every word, no matter how softy he had spoken to him.

 

They came a long journey since then and the bond between them bloomed into a strong friendship through mutual trust and understanding because eventually, Luhan had understood that Baekhyun wasn't far different from him. He might lived in the Golden palace, surrounded by guards and servants that would crawl in front of him just to appease him yet, he was lonely. He could as well wear the same collar that adorned Luhan's neck.

 

He also belonged to someone.

 

Against his will.

 

His thoughts were interrupted as the double door that led to his room opened and Luhan fell to his knees, head dipped low. Baekhyun pulled himself up into a sitting position, groaning at how sore his body felt. The King strode inside the room, his red robes tied by a single stripe of silk around the waist, revealing a little bit of his tanned chest. His face was twisted in a frown, his dark eyes casted on Luhan.

 

"Leave." He dismissed the slave with a flick of his wrist and Luhan quickly scrambled off the floor, exiting the room with his back painfully bending forward in a respectful bow. Baekhyun locked his jaw tight but said noting. The guards standing at the entrance of his room quickly closed the door, leaving the King alone with the boy.

 

"I heard you've been unwell." The king looked at him, his dark eyes softening at the sight of Baekhyun. He slowly walked closer to him, seating himself at the edge of Baekhyun's large bed.

 

"I'm afraid I've been strained form the constant visions you've been putting me through." Baekhyun said, trying hard to keep his voice steady. The King's face darkened for a few seconds but then his expression changed to something that was full of understanding.

 

"I am sorry, my love. I promise you that tonight's ceremony will be the last one for a long time. The tribes of the North will not be able to stand against us any longer."

 

"And after that?" Baekhyun bit back, hardly containing his emotions. "What comes after you claim the territory of the people from the North?"

 

"Then, with your help, I will finally conquer the West. When the people of the North fall they will no longer resist us. I promise my love..." Yunho drew in closer, settling his hand on Baekhyun's bare chest, smearing the ink with the warmth of his palm. Baekhyun winced, trembling slightly under his touch as he tried to keep the visions at bay even though the silent battle in his mind would always end up futile. He had seen Yunho's fate many times, to the extent he could predict the visions one by one as they displayed behind his closed eyelids. It was still the same from the first time they met; full of pain, suffering, blood and victory, the man was invincible.

 

"And after that..." the King continued, closing the distance between them. He ghosted his lips over Baekhyun's neck before pressing them against the hot skin, feeling the boy shudder under the touch, "you will finally take the place that rightfully belongs to you. By my side, in my bedroom."

 

---

 

Luhan tied the strip around Baekhyun's slim waist to keep the robes in place. Unlike Yunho, his chest was not exposed as the collar went high up to his neck, hiding all of the drawings on his body. The only place where his skin was visible was around his forearms where the fabric was sheer, putting his tattoos on display. He could sense the black lines curling under the soft fabric. 

 

"D-does it hurt?" Luhan voiced out and Baekhyun looked at him in confusion. "When it moves, does it hurt?"

 

"No, but I can feel it." Baekhyun said solemnly, thinking about the drawings that covered his skin almost from head to toe. It was an ancient magic, a magic that had been performed on him when he was only twelve years old by the King himself. It served as a precaution, so that anyone who dared to touch him would be immediately caught. The black lines would melt under the heat of a palm, smudging and leaving red marks behind. It would take hours until the tattoos reformed and connected again. 

 

It was a sign of the extent of the King's possessiveness towards Baekhyun. 

 

"It hurt when I got them." Baekhyun admitted. He had never talked about the marks, he didn't like to think about the tattoos that were marring his body. The only time he felt grateful for having them was when he took Luhan in. He was sure that at the beginning the King had suffered from a delusional convincment that he and Luhan were in some sort of a romantic relationship. The thought itself was ridiculous. Luhan was like his little brother. Nonetheless, the marks served as a proof that there had been indeed nothing between them and the King soon grew uninterested in the slave boy, much to Baekhyun's relief. 

 

Luhan looked like he had more questions to ask but the double door opened and another slave walked in.

 

"The ceremony is about to start in few minutes. The king wants you to enter as last." The slave delivered the quick message, his collar twinkling as he bowed down and backed out of the room. Baekhyun waited until the wooden door closed and snorted.

 

"Of course he wants me to come in last." Baekhyun shook his head at the King's blatant try to show him off to everyone. 

 

Luhan quickly finished dressing him up by tying an emerald green cloak around his shoulders and pulling the cape over his head, just as the King wished. He handed Baekhyun his gloves as last. This pair was made of silk, black with green embroidment. He thanked Luhan for his help and together they aimed for the main hall where the ceremony is going to take place.  

 

They walked through the corridors without sharing a word. Luhan was aware of how much Baekhyun hated these meetings, mainly because the King would force him to use his powers over and over again. Sometimes for fun, so he could laugh the someone's miserable future and sometimes out of straight viciousness, to break as many family ties as possible and eliminate any possible threats.

 

They reached the double doors that led to the main hall and as he was about to push them open, Luhan stopped him with hand on his shoulder. 

 

"I've heard he had taken a new captive. Someone very important." The slave informed him in a hushed voice.

 

"What do you mean?" Baekhyun brows furrowed in confusion.

 

"Do you remember the rumors? The rumors about the man?" Luhan spoke urgently and Baekhyun felt as shiver ran up his spine.

 

Of course he remembered. He remembered because he had never seen Yunho so unsettled about something. There were talks about rebellion forming in the northern part of the kingdom. Rebellion that was supposed to be led by a man who possessed quite extraordinary abilities, just like Baekhyun. 

 

"Are you saying he caught someone who is close to him?" Baekhyun questioned. 

 

"I heard the guards talk about it this morning. I wanted to tell you right away but you woke up and already were so drained from your sleepless night that I didn't have the heart to bother you. I'm sorry, master." Luhan lowered his head in shame an Baekhyun squeezed his shoulder with his gloved hand. 

 

"There is no need to apologize. You did well, Luhan." Baekhyun quickly assured the boy. Luhan bowed to him and then pushed the door open, knowing that they were expected. Baekhyun heaved a sigh and walked into the bright hall. The voices quieted down just as suddenly as Baekhyun walked in and then broke into low murmurs after Baekhyun lowered down his cape. 

 

Baekhyun caught the King's smug smile as everyone talked about Baekhyun's beauty in hushed voices.

 

"Bow down to prince Baekhyun." The guard next to him said loudly over the crowd and then there was a sound of chairs screeching against the floor as everyone hurried to bow. Baekhyun held in a scoff. Prince... tsk. He supposed that freak or a monster how they liked to call him behind closed doors was not as honorable. 

 

He walked on the red carpet towards the table at the end of the hall, trying to ignore the curious stares. They had seen him during these gatherings so many times but they still could not stop staring at him. It bothered him, he hated when the attention in the room was on him. 

 

Once he reached the table, he bowed down to the King and then walked around so he could take the place to his right as always. He felt Yunho's hand on his lower back and tried his best not to squirm at the uncomfortable touch. It would probably not made the best impression. To his relief, the servants started bringing in plates full of food and Yunho soon found himself a different distraction. Baekhyun felt his shoulders relaxing once the hand from his back disappeared and searched with his eyes around the hall until he finally spotted Luhan.

 

The slave boy was as always trying to not look around too much but he was failing at keeping his curiosity at bay. His eyes were from time to time wandering recklessly up to the arched ceiling and Baekhyun suppressed a smile. His own eyes traveled upwards, taking a brief look at incredible paintings displayed on the ceiling. It portrayed three dragons fighting side by side along with their riders. Each dragon had its own color, there was one that was emerald green, just like the cloak Baekhyun decided to wear for tonight. Its scales looked like they were glimmering under the fleeting light of torches that decorated each side of the hall. His rider was dressed in the same shade of green, cape falling over his face. His hand was tightly clenched onto a silver dragger, ready to strike a deadly blow. The dragon in the middle was copper red, his back spikeless. The creature was leaning back, towering over his rider, his jaws opened in a soundless roar. The last dragon was the darkest shade of black and Baekhyun imagined that this one must have been the most lethal among them. The dragon's eyes were icy blue just like the spikes that covered its spine down to its tail. A stream of blue flames was coming out of its mouth and Baekhyun thought that he would never want to find himself standing in the dragon's away. His rider looked just as majestic. His lean body covered in dark robes with silver embroidment, skin pale as the dragon's flames. The rider's dark eyes alone looked like they could set the ground under him on fire.

 

"I'm going to have that repainted." A voice teared him out of his thoughts and Baekhyun turned around to face the King.

 

"Why? Isn't it spectacular?" Baekhyun questioned. He felt like his heart would break a little if the magnificent painting disappeared. It reminded him of his childhood. How his mother put him to sleep while telling him tales about the dragon riders and all the good deeds they had done for the kingdom. 

 

"We shouldn't feed people with lies. The painting is nothing but a myth." The King said sternly and Baekhyun's shoulders slouched down. There were no evidences of their actual existence but he liked to believe that they indeed did exist in the past, even if it had been centuries ago.. As a child he had dreamed about them, had dreamed about them still roaming the land, waiting for the right moment to step into their lives again.

 

"Enough of this, we have better things to do tonight. I brought you a present." The King said, his lips spreading into malevolent smile. Baekhyun watched him as he stood up, the golden necklace around his neck swaying from side to side. 

 

The King gestured to the guards and the double door opened again. The chatter of the noble man died down as they all turned towards the entrance, some of them even standing up and craning their necks in order to see better at the newcomer. 

 

Right there, stood a boy, not much older than Baekhyun himself. His dark hair was disheveled and his robes torn in pieces, loosely hanging on his slim body. Baekhyun watched as the guard shoved him forward, grabbing him harshly under his elbow as he started forcefully dragging him towards the King. Baekhyun noticed his eyes were rimmed with red. Once they reached the table the guard kicked the back of his leg and boy fell forward, the shackles on his wrists clinking against each other. A quiet gasp of pain left his chapped lips and he swayed to the side, almost loosing his balance. It tok him a moment to regain his composure and he looked quite angry at himself for showing his discomfort so blatantly in front of the King.

 

There was a single movement of Yunho's hand and Baekhyun understood. He stood up, holding in a sigh. Baekhyun had troubles to even hold his gaze on the boy. He was so young, with whole life ahead of him. How could he be so reckless and get himself caught? Now it left Baekhyun with no other choice than to proceed with the King's commands. If he did not do so, it would get both of them into more trouble. Baekhyun had learned that the hard way. 

 

He approached him with slow steps and didn't miss how the boy tried to scoot away from him. The guard gripped his shoulder and the boy winced in pain. Baekhyun was sure that his body was full of bruises and unhealed wounds from the incessant beating he had probably received in in the dungeons.  Baekhyun slowly slipped his glove off and extended his hand. The dinning hall grew silent, the noble men holding their breaths as they had their eyes pinned on the two of them.

 

Their eyes met for a second and he felt a mild surprise at how determined the boy's gaze was, as if he was daring him to try and come closer. But then he turned away and Baekhyun's hand laid on his cheek.

 

The skin on his palm started tingling and his vision blurred for a moment and then the hall around him disappeared and he found himself in the cold and dimly lit dungeons. Someone laid in front of him on the cold ground, shivering slightly. For a second he thought this must have been a mistake, that his powers must be weakening, because he did not recognize the trembling form curled on the floor but then the stranger opened his eyes and he recognized that unwavering stare. 

 

The boy looked terrible, appearing to be at the brink of death. His cheeks were sunken in, his skin pallid. His body was nothing but skin and bones and Baekhyun felt a tinge of sadness at the sight. Then the image shifted and his surroundings were blurred out momentarily. When Baekhyun blinked his eyes he was still in the dungeons but there was a figure clad in black kneeling beside the boy, carding his fingers through the boy's messy hair, whispering something that Baekhyun could no make out. He willed his mind to focus and hastily wiped away the faint trail of blood the ran down from his nose.

 

"It's okay, I'll take you home, Kyungsoo." The person spoke in hushed voice as he gathered the battered body in his arms, picking him up with utmost care. The boy, Kyungsoo, groaned in pain but wrapped his arms around the man's neck nevertheless, resting his cheek against his chest. Baekhyun watched as the man carried him out of the cell with wary steps. He was about to turn around the corner and disappear from his range of view but his movements halted and he turned around instead.

 

At that moment Baekhyun thought his heart stopped beating because the man was looking directly at him and that was simply not possible. Baekhyun was in Kyungsoo's head, this didn't happen yet, there was no way the stranger could even see Baekhyun. He was not physically there. 

 

And that was not everything. He recognized the man right away. His tan skin and almond eyes unmistakeably familiar even in the poorly lit cell.

 

Baekhyun could swear that the stranger gave him a curt nod before pressing the frail body in his arms closer to his chest and left. His vision blurred out again and he found himself standing back in the hall once again. His breathing was labored, chest having up and down as he shakily retracted his hand. He could feel everyone's eyes on him, waiting. 

 

He quickly put his glove back on, accepting the white cloth from on of the servants and used it to clean the blood away from his face. 

 

"His... his name is Kyungsoo." He said shakily, not exactly knowing where to start. Baekhyun knew how these things went in the palace. He had witnessed them many times before. Yunho would take captives, torture them down in the dungeons and then forced Baekhyun to read through them only to kill them later. No one ever escaped his wrath. But this Kyungsoo, he was not supposed to die tonight. So Baekhyun had to think. He had to think of a way to spare his life. 

 

"I did not find out anything about who he is or what his plans are." He choose his words carefully. There were no lies in his statement but he knew the King will have hard time believing him and once Baekhyun manages to convince him otherwise, Kyungsoo will end up on the floor in a pool of his own blood.

 

"You have not seen a single thing that could be helpful to us?" The King questioned, tapping his fingers against the armrest. 

 

"No, my King. I have not seen such things." Baekhyun bowed his head in respect, hoping the King would leave it at that.

 

"Then he is of no use to me." The King said a gestured to the guards nonchalantly. Baekhyun watched as the man next to Kyungsoo pulled out a small knife and was ready to slash his throat open. The noble men started chattering between each other once again, uninterested in Kyungsoo's impending fate.

 

"You will not kill him tonight, my King." Baekhyun said loud and clear for everyone to hear. He heard clank of metal as a few spoons hit the floor at his statement. He braved himself to look into the King's eyes. Yunho was staring at him with a small smile playing on his lips but his eyes were void of any emotion. 

 

"And the reason for that?" The King spoke slowly, boring his dark eyes into him.

 

Baekhyun gulped down, trying to sound as composed as he could. "The man you are so earnest about capturing, he is closely acquainted to him. When the time comes, he will come for him."

 

He heard Kyungsoo's gasp and decided that it was better to ignore him. He knew he was disclosing an important information but this was the only way to ensure Kyungsoo would live to see the daylight again.

 

"How closely?" The King prodded and Baekhyun clenched his jaw, continuing reluctantly.

 

"I believe they are in a romantic relationship." Baekhyun said quietly and the King smiled widely at him. 

 

"Very well then." He clapped his hands and beckoned to guards to take the boy back to the dungeons. Baekhyun slowly walked back to his seat, trying to shut of the sound of Kyungsoo's protests and struggles.

 

---

 

"I hate him." Baekhyun seethed, pulling his gloves off and throwing them on his bed. Luhan picked them up wordlessly and put them on the nightstand. 

 

"He makes me do things that... I...ughh... How can I go on like this?" Baekhyun stared at his trebling hands, trying to hold back tears of frustration. "How can I live my life like this?"

 

Luhan was about to comment when the door to his room opened and the King walked in. Baekhyun paled. The King had not usually visited him after the dusk unless...

 

Luhan quickly bowed and backed away from the room. Baekhyun gulped down, closing his lids in pure agony. He knew what this was about. During the ceremony he had basically lectured the King in front of everyone about what he should and should not do. He should have expected that he is not going to avoid punishment.

 

But just thinking about what was about to happen made him wonder about Kyungsoo. He would rather trade their places and settle down in the dungeons than this.

 

"You were very outspoken this evening." Yunho commented disinterestedly. Baekhyun felt shiver run up his spine, his body trembling slightly. He had his back turned towards the King, a very disrespectful gesture. But he just could not bring himself to face him, he couldn't watch his face as the King trailed his eyes over Baekhyun's petite body.

 

His arms were covered in goosebumps as Yunho approached him, his breath fanning over the back of Baekhyun's neck. He curled his arm around Baekhyun's waist and pressed him flush against his chest. Baekhyun fought the urge to break himself free from the strong grip. He has to endure this, like always.

 

The loose knot around his waist came undone with a few tugs of Yunho's skillful fingers and his robe slid to the ground with a soft thud. Cold air hit his bare skin and Baekhyun shuddered, biting on his lower lip as the King pressed a kiss against the back of his neck, his fingertips running down Baekhyun's bare sides. Baekhyun fought against the visions that threatened to penetrate his mind, digging his fingers into his palms, leaving angry red marks behind.

 

"One would think that I might forgive you everything for single night by your side." Yunho murmured against his skin. Baekhyun could feel the thin, black lines swirling on the spots where the King held him tightly. 

 

It was not the first time this happened. The King occasionally visited him under the excuse that he needs to confirm that no one has touched Baekhyun. He would force him to strip down and then let his hungry, lustful eyes wander over Baekhyun's exposed body. Today, he used Baekhyun's small act of disobedience just so he could touch him again.

 

Baekhyun despised this. He was from a humble family and he strongly believed that he should not bare his body to anyone unless he held strong feelings towards them. This was humiliating and King was well aware of how much Baekhyun hated this.

 

He had no idea how long they stood there like that, Yunho's lips ghosting over his shoulder blades, his hands wandering around Baekhyun body. Every minute felt like an hour and when the King finally let go he released a breath he didn't know he was holding. 

 

Baekhyun stood there, letting the night air from the open balcony over his skin and it wasn't until he had heard the door close that he had crumbled down on the floor, sobs wrecking through his body. He brought his palm towards his lips and held in the urge to cry out.

 

"Let me help you, master." Luhan said softly, approaching Baekhyun with a clean stack of clothes. Baekhyun didn't even hear him entering the room and he briefly wondered how long has Luhan been standing next to his slouched form.

 

"Don't! D-don't touch me!" Baekhyun pleaded, his voice broken. He hated this, he hated everything about this palace. He didn't want any more hands on him. This was enough. 

 

The slave boy didn't move. He just observed Baekhyun with eyes full of sorrow. "Please, let me help you."

 

Baekhyun nodded shakily, his body trembling as he tried to suppress his sobs. He didn't move as Luhan carefully draped the night robe over his shoulder, motioning for him to put his arm through the sleeves. Baekhyun was still trembling when the slave boy led him to his bed, helping Baekhyun lay down and then covering him with blanket.

 

"S-should I stay by your side, master?" Luhan asked shakily and Baekhyun shook his head.

 

"I wish to be alone." He murmured against his pillow and Luhan gave him a hesitant nod, obviously not entertained by the idea of Baekhyun staying alone. However, he did not dare to go against his master's words and left the room after few moments of awkward silence, blowing the candles as he passed by the wall, leaving Baekhyun in complete darkness.

 

---

 

"I can't believe this." Minseok complained for the umpteenth time that night. "If my father saw me he would have died of shame. Watching his son sneak into a Golden palace like some kind of lowly thief." 

 

Chanyeol grunted in reply. He was not happy about this either but the sachet of coins was pleasantly heavy against his thigh. They had been paid a hefty amount for this task, and while Chanyeol didn't give a about whatever disagreement between the King and the Northerners, he was more than willing to be the one to handle this difficult mission.

 

Not for the money, but for the freedom. The council leader had promised them that if they managed to succeed in bringing the head of the prince back to Trion, their commitments to the council would be considered over and that was much more alluring than being paid in gold. Even though, Chanyeol had to admit it was a nice bonus. He and Minseok will put the money to good use. 

 

"Do you think Sehun will keep his word?" Minseok continued in hushed whispers. His friend was a rather interesting man. The raven head was usually quiet, indifferent to... well basically everything. But he was full of complaints once he was annoyed and right now he was beyond that. Minseok had been strongly against this task, claiming it was bellow his status and had went on a twenty minutes long rant about bloodlines during the council, it wasn't until the council leader offered them the said freedom that he finally shut his mouth.

 

Right now Chanyeol wished he also had something that would keep him silent. He hadn't slept properly for several days and right now he felt like one more word from Minseok might result in Chanyeol actually changing his mind and deciding to behead Minseok instead of the prince.

 

"I swear if he'll fall asleep like the last time I'm going to-"

 

Chanyeol turned around, grabbing his friend by his collar and tugging him forward so their faces were only inches apart. "We grew up together Minseok and I think of you as my long lost brother but I swear to god if I hear one more word from you, I'll be returning with two dead bodies tonight." Chanyeol growled in his face and released the strong grip he had on him.

 

"As if you could do this without me." Minseok scoffed, his bangs falling over his eyes and Chanyeol glared at him. His friend grimaced but kept quiet for the rest of the way towards the castle. 

 

They were using the darkness of the night to their advantage, carefully slipping through the empty streets, only occasionally disturbed by the flickering candlelights behind small windows. It took them a while to get under the balcony where the prince allegedly resided. They were lucky to slip through the place guards as they changed shifts. It was not like they wouldn't be able to take them down but it would draw an unnecessary amount of attention to them and that was definitely not what they needed right now.

 

From Sehun, they knew that the palace guards checked on the prince every hour and they had to hurry. They both stared at the balcony for a second and then Chanyeol pulled out na arrow from the quiver that was strapped to his back and tied rope at the end. He squinted his eye as he aimed at the heavily embellished railing and shot. The arrow swished through the air, hitting it's target dead on as the twisted around the railing. Chanyeol wasted no time as he started climbing up, leaving Minseok down to watch out for any guard or servant that might have decided it was good time to wander around the castle.

 

He threw his body over the railing, landing easily on the balcony. He wiped the sheen of sweat that settled on his forehead and let his eyes roam around the room. It seemed to be empty. He clutched the dagger that rested against his hip and took a few cautious steps.

 

And then he caught a glimpse of the prince sleeping soundly on a spacious bed. Chanyeol found himself to be mildly starstruck by his looks. While he certainly was a beauty, it was the softness of his features and the innocence that lingered on his face even in his sleep. He couldn't be older than nineteen summers. 

 

Chanyeol hesitated, feeling out of place just by looking at him and he briefly wondered if he was doing the right thing. He was about to kill a child, a young boy who had a whole life ahead of him and Chanyeol stood there, in the silent room, with his hand tightly gripping onto the handle of his dagger, ready to take away everything from him with one swipe of his arm. In a minute, the boy will lay in his bed with his throat cut open, his eyes empty and lifeless. The pristine sheets will be stained with his own blood and in the morning, servants will exit his room screaming their lungs out, relaying the news about the prince's murder to everyone. The boy will never have family on his own, he will never get known the hardships of love or suffer thorough his first heartbreak. No... Chanyeol will take everything from him.

 

He shook his head vigorously, chasing away the misleading thoughts. It was better this way, the boy had stolen lives of many with his actions, it was only fair that he will loose his life as well. 

 

He approached him with caution, still half expecting someone to burst through the door or the boy waking up. Chanyeol stood by his bed, his hand clutching the dagger almost painfully as he pressed the silver blade against the boy's exposed neck. It was probably the coldness of the metal edge that had woke the boy up. His eyes fluttered open and then widened comically upon seeing Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol waited for him to move, to defend himself, to do something that would leave him with no other choice than taking his life away but to his surprise, the boy tilted his head back, baring his neck to Chanyeol.

 

The tall man drew in a shaky breath, momentarily caught off guard and he failed to notice the hurried steps that approached him and then there was someone latching on his back, bony arms curled around his neck. Chanyeol shook him off easily and sent whoever it was flying to the ground with a loud thud. The room resonated with a painful groan.

 

He turned around to complete his mission but to his surprise the prince was no longer in bed, suddenly there was something sharp poking his side.

 

"If you move I'll start screaming." The prince spoke, pressing the knife against his ribs.

 

Chanyeol held out his hands up in defense, chuckling. "I guess we'll have to go with that."

 

He spun on his feet, knocking the prince of his feet. The boy stumbled backwards and Chanyeol caught him before he could hit the ground. He whirled the boy around, pressing his back against his front as he crossed the boy's hands on his chest, securing him in a tight hold. He hoisted him up over his shoulder.

 

The prince kicked him and punched his back in a desperate struggle to free himself but Chanyeol was simply too strong of him. He marched towards the balcony, setting the prince down on the floor.

 

"What do you think you're doing?" The prince snapped at him, trying to get away from him. 

 

"Throwing you off the balcony." Chanyeol said, amused how the boy's expression quickly changed form anger to confusion and then to pure horror. Before he could react, Chanyeol lifted him up and threw him over the railing, hoping than Minseok had quick reflexes and if not...Well then they had one less problem to take care of.

 

He walked back inside the room, looking at the quivering mess in the corner. The boy had an unruly mess of blonde hair and limbs ridiculously long and skinny to be of any use. Chanyeol crouched down in front of him, twirling the dagger in his hand. He noticed the boy had a collar around his neck. A slave.

 

"If I'm going to leave you here you're going to get me in trouble so you are left with two options; death," and Chanyeol waved the dagger in his hand threateningly to prove his point, "or you're gonna follow him. So which one is it?"

 

He watched with an amused smile as the slave scrambled off the floor, hesitantly approaching the balcony. He eyed Chanyeol with uncertainty before climbing over the railing and than disappearing from his sight. By the loud thud and the string of profanities that followed he guessed that the baggage has reached it's destination.

 

Chanyeol was still smiling as he hoped over the railing, following after them.

 

 

 


First chapter... took me almost three weeks to finish this xD 

 

Those who have read some of my fics already know that I never disclose anything at the beginning... actually I like to torture my readers as long as possible... and yes this fic is going to be exactly like that xD I am apologizing to you in advance for any upcoming plot twists and secrets xD

Also, I am terrible at naming places... like, really terrible so I apologize for that as well...

Anyway, thank you for subscribing, commenting and upvoting ^_^

 

Love Ya^^