Chapter 15

Cliff's Edge

 

“Another surgery well done,” Dr. Kim remarked happily as they scrubbed out. It was just after two in the morning on Friday like any other nowadays for SinB. Dr. Kim patted SinB’s shoulder and joked, “Are you sure you don’t want to do neurosurgery?” 

 

“I’m still thinking,” SinB replied with a small smile. “Still a lot of specialties out there, you know.”

 

Dr. Kim nodded, “That’s true. Now that you’re a resident, make sure you make the most of it and really figure out what you want. Don’t let any old men like me pressure you into something. Got it, Hwang?”

 

“Yes, sir,” SinB laughed.

 

“Good,” Dr. Kim said. He gave her another nod and said, “You’re the night shift today, right? Make sure to get some sleep before anything else comes in. You’re good, but no one is that good with no sleep.”

 

SinB promised to head to an on-call room when she finished scrubbing out and watched as Dr. Kim excused himself. As soon as the door shut behind him, SinB let out a quiet sigh, shoulders slumping. A bitter exhaustion clung to SinB as she dried off her hands and walked to the nearest on-call room. It was thankfully empty, so no one else was around to watch as she collapsed onto a bed. She curled into a ball on top of the covers, feeling a now familiar ache in her body from working too hard.

 

It had been a little over a month since she officially became a resident, and SinB was already the resident to beat. The other first year residents hated her, even when they couldn’t help but admire her. She was always prepared. Any time an attending asked a question, SinB knew the answer before anyone else could even reach for their notes. Because of this, she’d already scrubbed in on more surgeries than anyone else. 

 

To others, it probably looked like this was easy for SinB, but in reality, SinB was pouring every ounce of her energy into work. Where the other residents would take it easy on their days off or spend their downtime sleeping or relaxing, SinB was studying. Any time she wasn’t in surgery, she was reading medical journals or in the lab practicing. To her superiors, she probably looked like the model student, dedicating herself to her work. Sure, SinB was dedicated, but that wasn’t the whole reason why she was doing what she was.

 

It had been a little over a month since she became a resident, and it had been just as long since SinB had properly spoken to Yerin. After that night on Yerin’s birthday, SinB had been avoiding Yerin, and from what SinB could tell, Yerin was avoiding her too. SinB knew she should be an adult and just talk to Yerin, but she couldn’t. She just couldn’t. She couldn’t look at the woman she loved and know that she’d be married to someone else within a year. She couldn’t do it, especially after knowing how mcuh time she wasted because she’d been too afraid of what others might say.

 

SinB remembered the day they announced the merger. There’d been a staff meeting two days after Yerin’s birthday, and in a crowded auditorium, they were told that the hospital would be merged with another premier hospital in the city. After it was explained, there were whispers everywhere about it, but SinB had just sat there like stone. Kyulkyung had asked about her reaction, but SinB had just lied and said it probably wouldn’t affect them anyways so there was no point in getting worked up about it. 

 

In truth, SinB had been mentally preparing to hear this news for days. She had to because hearing the hospital director announce this meant that Yerin really was going through with the arranged marriage. It really meant that SinB had missed her chance with her. It hurted more than she wanted to admit.

 

So, this was how SinB got to where she was now, curled up in an on-call room, exhausted but unable to sleep. Rolling onto her back, SinB stared up at the bunk above her. She thought about the last text she got from Yerin. It’d been that same night too. SinB had been getting ready for bed when her phone had rung with a notification. 

 

Thank you for tonight and everything. I’m lucky to have you.

 

When SinB had first read it, she smiled. Then it sunk in that things would be different now. It read more like a good-bye. At the time, SinB had wondered if they’d have any more times like that night. A part of her hoped so while another part of her dreaded the thought. In the end, she hadn’t had much of a say. After that, Yerin hadn’t texted her besides one congratulating her on becoming a resident, which SinB didn’t really count because it had felt so perfunctory and empty.

 

Where did it all go wrong?

 

Probably with her falling for the hospital director’s daughter. Wasn’t that one of Kyulkyung’s first warnings to her? Not to do exactly what she did. SinB sighed and rubbed at her eyes. She rolled back onto her side and squeezed her eyes shut. Sleep. She needed to sleep. 

 

SinB really must’ve fallen asleep because the next thing she knew was the door to the on-call room slamming open. She jolted up, almost smacking her head on the bunk above her. She squinted at the person who’d woken her up, only to blink in surprise when she saw it was Kyulkyung.

 

“Sorry,” Kyulkyung said with a wince. “I didn’t think anyone was in here, and I was just so angry… I can leave if you want.”

 

“It’s fine,” SinB told her. She swung her legs over the edge of the bed and leaned forward, resting her elbows on her knees as she rubbed the last dregs of sleep from her eyes. She yawned a little and asked, “What time is it?”

 

“A little after six,” Kyulkyung replied. “I pulled the early morning shift.”

 

SinB nodded. Almost four hours of uninterrupted sleep. It must have been a slow night. She stretched her hands over her head and asked, “So, why are you mad? You basically just started your shift. What could have pissed you off already?”

 

“A fifth year resident,” Kyulkyung said. She walked over and plopped down beside SinB. “I’m working a case with him, trying to figure out what’s wrong with our patient, and he’s just so… Ugh.” Kyulkyung shook her head in disgust and continued, “I get he’s my superior, and he probably does know more than me, but does he have to be such a jerk about it?”

 

“Residents like that are the worst,” SinB said with a sympathetic grimace. “Just remember that it’s just for this case.” She smiled and added, “And it’ll feel really good if you can show him up and figure out what’s wrong before him.”

 

Kyulkyung giggled, her mood lightening. “There’s nothing like spite, huh?” She bumped shoulders with SinB and said, “Thanks. I feel better now.”

 

“Any time,” SinB said.

 

“By the way, how are you?” Kyulkyung asked. She suddenly looked at SinB with knowing eyes and said, “You’ve always been a hard worker, so the others might not be able to tell, but I know you. You’ve been working like crazy lately, SinB. I didn’t say anything at first because I thought it might’ve just been you trying to get ahead, but it’s been a month.” Kyulkyung pointedly looked her up and down and said, “Plus, you look like .”

 

“Thanks,” was all SinB said in reply.

 

Kyulkyung gave her a look and said, “I’m serious. What’s going on with you?” Her eyes softened as she said, “I noticed you haven’t really been hanging out with Yerin much either. Does that have anything to do with this?”

 

“Drop it,” SinB said immediately, voice as hard and cold as the expression on her face. “I don’t want to talk about it.” 

 

“Fine,” Kyulkyung said after a long moment. She sighed and bumped her shoulder against SinB’s again but gentler this time. “I’m not going to tell you ‘I told you so’ or anything like that. I’m just here if you ever want to talk.”

 

SinB gave a half-smile, “I know, Kyulkyung. Thanks.”

 

“Good,” Kyulkyung smiled back. “Now, how about some breakfast? We might be early enough that they still have the good muffins.”

 

“There are good muffins besides chocolate chip ones,” SinB told her with a roll of her eyes as she stood up. “You’re just a child.”

 

“I’m the child?” Kyulkyung laughed as they headed down to the cafeteria.

 

It had been a while since SinB had gotten the chance to talk to Kyulkyung, and she was surprised by how much she’d missed it. It was nice being able to talk to someone about work and them knowing what she was talking about. Kyulkyung could sympathize about slow lab workers and annoying patients. As a bonus, Kyulkyung was also pretty fun to be around since she was so playful and easy-going. 

 

The two of them were halfway through their muffins and coffee when Kyulkyung got a page.

 

“No fair,” Kyulkyung whined. “How am I getting called away before you?”

 

“I’m just so lucky,” SinB teased. She waved bye to her and promised that they would go get dinner together sometime this week. For the first time in a while, SinB felt normal again. It made her smile. Since Kyulkyung was gone, SinB decided she could probably finish her breakfast while doing some reading. She went to get up when someone suddenly sat down in front of her. “Sir,” was all SinB managed to say as she stared at the hospital director sitting in front of her.

 

“You don’t mind if I join you, do you, Dr. Hwang?” Dr. Jung asked with a friendly smile.

 

SinB resettled in her seat, trying to ignore the twisted feeling in her gut. “Of course not, sir,” SinB said. “I’m flattered.”

 

“It’s always important to know the new surgical stars,” Dr. Jung told her. “And you, Dr. Hwang, are one of them.”

 

“I’m just trying my best, sir,” SinB replied, uncomfortable with the sudden praise. She didn’t know what was going on, but she didn’t like it. “There are plenty of other great surgeons my year too.”

 

Dr. Jung just kept smiling, “So humble too. You’ll go far.”

 

Unsure of what else to say, SinB just picked at her muffin and said, “Thank you, sir.”

 

“However, I’ll be honest that your surgical skills aren’t the entire reason I’ve come to see you this morning,” Dr. Jung said, and just like that, SinB’s uneasiness grew tenfold. Dr. Jung placed an arm on the table and leaned forward. His eyes, that employees often described as kind and warm, felt dark and unfathomable as SinB looked into them. “You’re close to my daughter, aren’t you, Dr. Hwang?”

 

“We’re friends,” SinB replied carefully. 

 

“That’s what I thought,” Dr. Jung hummed. “Well, as her friend, I have a favor to ask of you, Dr. Hwang. I’m sure you know that there are some terms that come with the hospital merger.” He watched her carefully as he said this, and SinB forced herself not to react beyond a small incline of her head. He nodded slowly and continued, “Yerin has been very upset with her obligations, so I would like you to help her with them.”

 

SinB felt something icy unfurl in her chest, painful and dizzying. “Help her how?” SinB asked.

 

“Keep an eye on her for me,” Dr. Jung explained easily, like he wasn’t crossing so many personal boundaries for himself, SinB, and Yerin. “Talk to her about the wedding, encourage it even. I know Yerin may never love this man, but I would like it if she could grow to accept it.”

 

“Sir,” SinB said. She felt nauseous and furious. She wanted to throw up at the thought of telling Yerin to marry someone else. She wanted to grab Dr. Jung by his white coat for asking her to do this.

 

“Dr. Hwang, please think about this seriously,” Dr. Jung said before SinB could say more. He looked at her with his dark eyes, leaning just a little closer. His voice was soft as he spoke. “You’re a very talented, young doctor. I’d hate to see that potential go to waste, wouldn’t you?”

 

SinB felt close up. She wasn’t an idiot. She heard everything Dr. Jung wasn’t saying with his words. If she didn’t do this, Dr. Jung would make sure her career would go down the drain. Maybe he’d even go as far as to fire her. It would be a repeat of what had happened to Yerin all those years ago with her ex. SinB felt sick.

 

“I understand, sir,” SinB said, words pained and stilted. 

 

Dr. Jung smiled again, and what had once seemed friendly now felt twisted and manipulative. “I’m glad, Dr. Hwang,” Dr. Jung said. “I’ll leave you to finish your breakfast then. Have a good day.” Then just like that, he left like he hadn’t just blackmailed SinB into betraying his daughter’s trust.

 

SinB watched him go then looked at her half-eaten food. With shaking hands, she threw it away and walked to the lab. She needed a scalpel in her hand.

 


a/n: sorry for the lack of yerin in this chapter but she'll be back in the next update!