Chapter 1

Cliff's Edge

 

As SinB paid for her third cup of coffee, she silently swore she would never stay playing video games again. Not that she’d really meant to. With all the nerves of starting her internship, SinB hadn’t been able to sleep and had resorted to video games to work off her nervous energy. When she actually bothered to look at the clock after playing, it had already been three in the morning.

 

This left SinB running on two hours of sleep and an unhealthy amount of caffeine. Probably not the best way to start off her internship at one of the most prestigious hospitals in South Korea, but well, it was too late to do anything about it besides get more coffee.

 

SinB poured just enough milk into her coffee to make it manageable to chug then downed the cup with a slight wince. As she tossed the now empty cup into a trash can she passed, she lamented over the caffeine crash that was going to be in her future. However, that was for future-SinB to worry about. For now, SinB focused on making her way to the interns’ locker room to put her stuff up and change.

 

Thankfully, SinB remembered the hospital’s layout fairly well from all the tours she’d been on and found the locker room with enough time that she didn’t have to rush. She wriggled past the milling interns, steering clear of one that looked a little green. The last thing she needed was to get vomit on her civilian clothes.

 

SinB’s locker was in the back corner, and SinB was relieved to find the area less crowded than toward the middle. She quickly put her backpack up and changed into her baby blue scrubs. As she tied her hair up into a ponytail, she felt a tap on her shoulder. SinB turned around to find another intern, a girl she recognized from orientation and the mixer from the past weekend.

 

“Hwang Eunbi?”

 

SinB nodded, “That’s me. You’re Kyulkyung, right?”

 

“Good memory,” Kyulkyung grinned. “I checked the rosters, and we have the same resident.”

 

“Oh, I’m glad I’m with someone I know,” SinB said with a friendly smile. “What are the odds of all the people we talked to at the mixer that we’d be grouped together?”

 

“I have no idea, but I am definitely not going to complain about having one of the normal interns in my group,” Kyulkyung told her in a conspiratorial whisper.

 

SinB laughed and looked around, scanning the faces of the other interns. “Are some of them really that weird?”

 

“Some of them,” Kyulkyung shrugged. She brightened then said, “Oh, by the way, we have Kang Seulgi as our resident.”

 

“She’s the nice one, right?” SinB checked.

 

Kyulkyung nodded excitedly, saying, “Competent but not a hardass. I’m really looking forward to be working under her.”

 

“Wow, we really are lucky then, huh?”

 

SinB chatted with Kyulkyung, discussing surgical specialties and attendings, until their names were called along with two others. SinB didn’t really recognize the two boys in their intern group, so she focused on whatever Seulgi was saying. Kyulkyung was right about Seulgi being nice. The resident was cheerful and helpful, explaining things easily as they walked about the hospital.

 

“What you’ll do depends on the day,” Seulgi explained as they walked around the surgical wing. “Some days you won’t have enough time to even blink, but other days you might be lucky to even do a few stitches.” She stopped in front of a large photograph of an older man, and SinB didn’t need the following explanation of who he was. She figured everyone knew who he was too. “This is the director of our hospital, Jung Yejoon. He’s basically one of the founders, one of the largest donors, and runs everything on top of all of that. Director Jung takes a specific interest in surgery, so you may see him around.”

 

After a few more lectures about what to expect and what to do, Seulgi sent them off to their respective designations for the morning.

 

“I’ll see you for lunch,” Kyulkyung told her before she left to find her neurological attending.

 

Meanwhile, SinB wandered down to the ER and found sheer boredom there. She knew better than to say it aloud, but in her mind, SinB couldn’t help but complain about how slow it was. Things didn’t pick up either. For four hours, SinB did stitches on six patients and gave a nine-year old boy an x-ray. It was almost mind-numbing, and SinB practically bolted from the ER when she got the page from Seulgi that she could go eat lunch.

 

SinB went to the cafeteria and grabbed a sandwich and some chips before finding Kyulkyung at one of the tables. The two of them talked about their days so far, and SinB was seriously jealous. Apparently, Kyulkyung got to observe a surgery already, and from the way she talked about it, it was everything an intern dreamed of.

 

Halfway through their lunch, Kyulkyung suddenly stopped eating. SinB frowned at her new friend’s odd behavior and followed her gaze to the entrance where three women were walking in.

 

“Who are they?” SinB asked when it became evident that Kyulkyung was going to just stare.

 

Jolting, Kyulkyung looked at SinB incredulously and asked, “You don’t know who they are?” When SinB shook her head, Kyulkyung gasped, a bit dramatically in SinB’s opinion, and said, “It’s time to educate you!”

 

“They’re called the holy trinity. The three of them are beautiful, rich, and talented. The tall one on the left is Kim Sowon,” Kyulkyung explained. “She’s Dr. Kim’s daughter.”

 

“Dr. Kim as in head of neurology Dr. Kim?” SinB clarified with wide eyes.

 

“The one and only,” Kyulkyung nodded. “She doesn’t do medicine though. She’s a photographer or something. In my opinion, she should’ve been a model with those legs, but whatever makes her happy, I guess. The short one in the middle is Jung Eunha. She’s the daughter of the CEO of Diamond Inc. She works for the company and is apparently really good at it. There’s no question that she’ll be the CEO once her father retires.”

 

“And the last one?” SinB asked, eyes lingering on said woman.

 

“That is Jung Yerin,” Kyulkyung replied. “She’s Jung Yejoon’s daughter.”

 

SinB snapped her head to Kyulkyung in disbelief. “The Jung Yejoon?” SinB gaped. “As in the director of this hospital?”

 

“You really didn’t know who they were,” Kyulkyung laughed, patting SinB’s shoulder consolingly. “Pretty, right? The staff calls her a doll because she’s so pretty and perfect. She’s working on her PhD right now, but she volunteers and does charity work in her free time. Sounds too good to be true, huh? It’s a good thing she’s an only child. Can you imagine having to live up to that?”

 

“Right,” SinB agreed absent-mindedly, unable to stop herself from staring as the three women got their food and sat down at a table close to the entrance. She was still staring when one of them, Yerin, looked up right at her. SinB immediately looked away, blushing at getting caught, and cleared .

 

For the rest of lunch, SinB ate her food and snuck glances at the three women. There was something about them that just drew stares, not only from SinB but other staff too. It was almost like there was something otherworldly about them, like they weren’t meant to simply be on Earth. If SinB really wanted to be dramatic, she’d call them angels or some other divine being.

 

When her pager went off, SinB finished up her lunch and found herself with a cardiothoracic attending who didn’t say much but allowed SinB to observe a lot of interesting things. It was amazing to see the x-rays and ultrasounds up close and personal, to interact with real patients, to actually feel like a surgeon.

 

It was toward the end of SinB’s shift when she was sent to go retrieve lab results. It was a little annoying to have to walk all around to get them then to track down her attending, but she was still an intern and this had intern work written all over it.

 

SinB thanked the technician as he handed over the folder of results then asked where the nearest vending machine was. After thanking him again, she made a quick detour to grab a candy bar. Her lunch had been decent, but it left her hungry for a snack now. As SinB bent over to get her candy, the papers slipped from the folder and went everywhere.

 

Cursing under her breath, SinB bent down to grab them when another pair of hands appeared. She blinked and stared for a moment before looking up. SinB stopped breathing when she realized the person helping her pick up the papers was Jung Yerin. Jung Yerin as in the director’s totally unfairly pretty daughter who’s got a neat ponytail falling over her shoulder and a scalloped dress that probably costs more than a month of SinB’s salary.

 

“Here you go,” Yerin said as she handed over the papers.

 

Even her voice was pretty, SinB thought. Then she realized she hadn’t said anything and had made no move to grab the papers. Panicked and scrambling, SinB practically snatched the papers from Yerin, trying not to focus on the fact that their hands brushed.

 

“T-thanks,” SinB mumbled, looking down in hopes that Yerin wouldn’t see her blushing.

 

“No problem,” Yerin told her, and SinB looked up just in time to see Yerin smile sweetly.

 

SinB smiled, awkward and nervous, as she stood up and placed the papers back in the folder. She shuffled a bit, unsure of what to do, because it seemed rude to just walk away, but Yerin didn’t leave either.

 

“Are you an intern?” Yerin asked, tilting her head curiously.

 

“Yeah, it’s my first day,” SinB answered, mentally patting herself on the back for not stammering. She lifted the folder in her hands and said, “I was just picking up some lab results.”

 

“And a quick snack,” Yerin added with an amused grin as she held up the chocolate bar that SinB had completely forgotten about.

 

SinB forced a smile and nodded, “Right.” She took the candy from Yerin and slipped it into her coat pocket with an embarrassed laugh. “Thanks again, for the papers and I guess now the candy.”

 

“It’s fine,” Yerin shrugged. “I like getting to know everyone in the hospital.”

 

“Everyone?” SinB repeated dubiously. “Isn’t that a lot of people?”

 

“I’ve got a good memory,” Yerin told her with a grin. A chime went off, and Yerin dug around her purse before pulling out her phone. “Oh, that’s my friend. I better get going.”

 

“Of course,” SinB bobbed her head, ignoring the way her eyes track Yerin’s every move as she puts her phone back in her purse. “Thanks again.”

 

“Stop saying thanks,” Yerin laughed. “It’s not a big deal.” She laid a hand on SinB’s arm, and SinB swore she stopped breathing again. “I’ll see you around,” Yerin said, and SinB could only nod, not trusting herself to speak. “Bye!” Yerin chirped as she walked away, hand falling from SinB’s arm as she did.

 

SinB watched her walk down the hall, probably looking like some sad puppy, until Yerin rounded a corner and out of SinB’s line of sight. Sighing to herself, SinB turned to go find her attending, only to bump into Kyulkyung.

 

“What the–!” SinB stopped herself right before she cursed, but she still clutched at her heart in surprise. “Where did you come from?”

 

“I was getting labs too,” Kyulkyung explained, waving her own folder in the air. “I was leaving when I heard your voice, so I came to find you, only to find you talking to Jung Yerin!”

 

“I dropped my papers,” SinB explained shyly, “and she helped me pick them up.”

 

“Wow, you’ve been graced with the presence of hospital royalty,” Kyulkyung told her as they started walking toward the elevator. “How was it?”

 

“She was nice,” SinB shrugged. “Is she really that big of a deal around here?”

 

“You would not believe how many people have a crush on her,” Kyulkyung replied, and SinB was embarrassed to admit she was probably one of those people now. “That’s the Jung charm, I guess. She must’ve gotten it from her father. Maybe she’ll be director one day.” Kyulkyung kept rambling about how wildly rich and talented the Jung family was, but all SinB could think about was bright smiles and the candy bar in her coat pocket.