Oddity

Take flight

The prince was a warm man, well loved among the citizens. However, he could also be a cold and stern leader, killing those disloyal to him without even flinching.

 

Donghae had been briefed about these, before he was sent to work as the prince’s personal servant. He had been working as a kitchen helper for almost his entire life, not having seen the prince once.

 

He didn’t necessarily need the briefing - after all, gossip about the young and handsome prince, who was also said to be cold and unforgiving, was rampant among the servants.

 

The chance had arisen when the prince’s previous servant was executed for committing the grievous crime of theft.

 

And among the many servants who were sent for inspection, he was selected.

 

Lucky or not, he did not know. But it certainly would be better than staying in the stinky old kitchen the whole day.


 

Donghae let out the breath he had been holding the whole time. The whole experience had been surreal to say the least. After all, it was his first time seeing the prince after so many years of working in the palace.

 

And the experience had been chilling, unnerving, yet… breathtaking.

 

Seeing the prince in front of him had certainly scared him a little, but there was also admiration and curiosity that lay beneath. He wanted to find out more, about the prince and to hear that voice that was both cold and warm again.

 

It was strange, he thought, that the prince could be both at once - warm, yet cold. Like a snowflake that melted once it landed on his fingertips.

 

It was strange that he wasn’t afraid - Jisoo, a servant who had worked with him in the kitchen for years, had warned him about the prince, having seen him herself once. She had mentioned seeing the prince cruelly questioning suspected corrupted officials, ordering them to be publicly executed immediately.

 

But today, Donghae had seen the prince so close, and he could still remember the breath of the prince against his neck and the cold fingers that pressed against his skin. Yet, he didn’t feel fear in front of the other’s strong presence.

 

He placed his hands against the tingling skin, and walked towards the servants’ quarters.


 

When he reached the quarters, he was greeted by a flustered Jisoo.

 

“How was he? What was he like?” The girl checked him thoroughly, as if worried that there might be injuries on him.

 

Donghae laughed, brushing her off.

 

“Don’t worry, he’s not as bad as you made him out to be.” At that, Jisoo frowned.  

 

“You should be more careful. He is the prince after all.”

 

Donghae pondered for a moment. Yes, he is the prince after all…

 

“Come on, everything’s going to be fine.” He said, not wanting to dampen the mood any further. Before he could continue, the doors burst open, and a man who was significantly older than him walked in, followed by a few palace guards.

 

“Where is Lee Donghae?”

 

Donghae looked up at that, bowing after being nudged by Jisoo.

 

“I am Lee Donghae.” Donghae replied, looking up to face the man who was analysing him, nose wrinkling as he took in the state of the room.

 

“Follow me.”


 

Donghae sat on his new bed, head slightly spinning. He had never slept on such a large bed before. It was still a servant’s bed, but it was definitely bigger than his previous one.

 

He took in the sight of his room, which had nothing much, but he was still amazed to say the least.


 

“From now on, as Prince Hyukjae’s personal servant, you are forbidden from any close contact with any of the other servants. This is to ensure the privacy and safety of the prince.”

 

Donghae paused in his steps, but was hurried along again by the man that was walking briskly.

 

“That also means that you will be moving out of the servants’ quarters and staying in the room adjacent to the prince, so that you will be there whenever he needs you to be.”

 

Of course, Donghae knew that. Commoners like him were definitely not allowed to be sleeping in the same room as royalty.

 

“Obey every command without a single protest, or you know where you will end up.”



 

Donghae sat in silence, thinking about the prince.

 

Everyone knew that the prince was first in line to the throne. Besides, the king was frail and dying, and had entrusted Prince Hyukjae to take over his duties even before he was crowned king.

 

But it didn’t matter, Donghae supposed, as the young prince was well loved among the court officials, who respected him greatly.

 

As he continued to ponder, he failed to hear the opening of his room door. He was brought out of his reverie by a cough.

 

Looking up, he immediately fell to the floor, kneeling before the prince himself.

 

The prince chuckled.

 

“My, aren’t you a strange little one.”

 

Donghae froze at that. “Good evening, Prince Hyukjae.”

 

“Stand up.” The prince walked closer, and Donghae scrambled to his feet.

 

“You’re pretty young, I must say.” The prince muttered, surveying Donghae from head to toe, and Donghae could feel the warm breath against his cheek again.

 

“I suppose I can get to know you better as time passes. I am tired today from all the meetings.” Donghae looked at the prince immediately, observing the tired lines on the older’s face.

 

He was almost as young as he was, just two years older, but he looked so tired and worn out, with the weight and burden of the entire country placed onto his shoulders at such a young age.

 

Donghae blushed when he realised the prince had caught him staring, and he quickly looked away.

 

“Ah, you really are a strange one.” The prince uttered, an unreadable look in his eyes. “Now, will you make me some tea before I rest for the night?”

 

Donghae immediately nodded, scrambling to prepare the prince’s request.

 

The prince watched as Donghae flusteredly ran out of the room, tripping over his feet. He chuckled silently, merely staring.

 

Strange, indeed…