Chapter 1

Could I lock in your love, baby?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

just some things to note:
scrims = practice matches
tank = a position in the game
carry = bring someone to victory lol
hosting = basically promoting someone's channel

 

2,597w / unbeta'd

 

 

 

Being a full-time pro-gamer and part-time streamer is time consuming, but Baekhyun enjoys it. He loves having an audience, being able to interact with his fans in real time, and the best part is that he gets to make a living out of doing something he loves. But the thing about being as internet famous as he is, is that everyone is dying to know everything about you, and every little thing you do online is being monitored, as creepy as that sounds.

So when Baekhyun tells his viewers that he has to answer the door and comes prancing back in view with a huge parcel that he puts down at the corner of his room, his viewers are spamming his chat, dying to know who’s got their baekkaji smiling so widely.

He continues the stream anyway, for another 4 hours as promised, but all he can think about is what the parcel holds this time. He plays Overwatch for a living and he’s in love with this lifestyle. It’s even more gruelling than he expected and sometimes he even hates the game, but at 22 years old, the salary and experience that comes with it is more than he could ever ask for.

“I’m gonna end the stream now. It’s been a wild 12 hours, good night everyone!” Baekhyun says to his camera, turning it off and switching to his ‘Thanks for watching’ screen. He mutes his mic as he watches the comments flood the chat, some asking him to reveal what’s in the parcel and some simply saying good night, and some English comments that he can’t really understand yet. Smiling to himself, he sits on the floor and opens the package excitedly and silently thanks the Heavens for a person like Chanyeol. The box is filled with all sorts of Korean snacks he can’t get in the States, including some homemade kimchi that Baekhyun loves.

It isn’t the first time that Chanyeol sent him a package like this, and it certainly wouldn’t be the last. Baekhyun picks up the note stickied to the inside of the box, expecting a lengthy note, but it only says one word: enjoy. He chuckles, ending the stream and shutting his computer down. He picks up his phone and texts Chanyeol.

 

You
Hey bambi, thanks for the huge parcel once again, I hope it didn’t cost you much  23:00
You’re a lifesaver, man  23:00
Tell your mom thanks for the kimchi! I will eat it well (*~▽~)  23:01

 

He waits for a reply, but it doesn’t come. Opening the streaming app, he belatedly remembers that Chanyeol is streaming too. He opens Chanyeol’s channel, bambi , and watches his stream, sometimes focusing more on the man in the face cam rather than the game play itself. Moving to his bed, he lies down with his phone on his chest, and decides to leave a comment for fun, the parcel long forgotten.

‘Bambi is so good at this game!!’ he types, and hits enter. Soon, Chanyeol’s chat is flooded with fans — Baekhyun is not sure if they’re fans of him too — yelling ‘BAEKKAJI IS WATCHING YOUR STREAM BAMBI’ and spamming emotes. Chanyeol notices it because of how quickly the chat is moving, and grins at the camera. “Baekkaji is watching? Hi, Baek!”

It takes all of Baekhyun’s self control to not smile at his phone like an idiot, even though he has no one to hide from.

After an hour or so of watching, he donates 40,000won to Chanyeol’s stream and asks which Overwatch League team he likes. Chanyeol laughs when he sees Baekhyun’s donation, thanking him. “Thank you baekkaji for the generous donation! I love Seoul Dynasty, because I’m Korean and they have the best tank in the world,” he replies cheekily.

Baekhyun snorts at his answer and tries to ignore the way his heart beats fast when Chanyeol winks at the camera. Seoul Dynasty is the team Baekhyun’s playing for, and Baekhyun is their main tank, so of course Chanyeol would say that to appease him. He donates again, this time a slightly bigger amount, and says ‘liar’ in the message, leaving the stream. He doesn’t stay to listen to Chanyeol deny the accusation, but Baekhyun knows he won’t take it to heart.

Baekhyun doesn’t remember exactly how he became friends with Chanyeol. Back in South Korea, they were schoolmates who shared the same passion for gaming, but that was all there was to it. They never really became close friends or anything, and when they graduated high school, neither of them bothered to keep up with each other, only hearing snippets of their lifestyles from their mutual friends.

When he left for the States, Chanyeol was there to send him off as well. Baekhyun didn’t know why he did, but Chanyeol didn’t look like he was dragged to the airport so he smiled anyway and thanked him for coming. (Although, now that Baekhyun looks back on it, Chanyeol did seem a little miserable. He brushes it off anyway.)

And then he found Chanyeol’s stream. He chanced upon it, really — it wasn’t like he was curious when his friends mentioned that Chanyeol streamed too — no, that wasn’t the case. He just happened to stumble upon a variety streamer who went by bambi , and looked exactly like someone he knew, and was actually a pretty good Overwatch player just like Baekhyun. He found Chanyeol on his social media and started following him, and eventually they started talking, and here they are. Baekhyun doesn’t know what to call it. They’re just really good friends.

They play Overwatch together when Baekhyun doesn’t have practice or matches, both off and on stream, and they talk when they end their streams. Unlike Chanyeol, Baekhyun doesn’t have a set streaming schedule, so he mostly bends his schedule to work around Chanyeol’s, but he doesn’t tell Chanyeol that. The time zones are a bother. 13 hours apart makes things really hard, but Baekhyun finds himself not caring about sleep whenever Chanyeol talks about his days. He’s about to sleep when his phone pings, and he cracks an eye open to see who texted him.

 

Bambi
01:14  You’re welcome! It was no problem (*≧▽≦)
01:14  I’ll be sure to let my mom know~
01:14  How were your scrims? Good?
01:15  Ready to go against Excelsior?

 

Biting

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter