Dirt

Wordplay
Please log in to read the full chapter

Eunhee's heated glare spoke for itself: Not only had Kai - once again - underestimated and taunted an enemy he knew nothing about, but moreover her talismans had scattered all over the room as soon as he had used her body as a cushion which meant she had to use her ability - again. The strain of the previous night had not yet fully faded and letting Lay feed off her had not exactly helped with her recovery. Also, her head hurt; a lump was already growing where it had met the floor.

"Get off," she hissed and Kai scrambled to his feet, pointedly avoiding to look at her face. It was obvious that he felt guilty but she knew better than to expect an apology. His dark eyes once again turned purple while he tried to pinpoint where the strong gusts of air were coming from. Eunhee got up as well and dusted herself off, keeping a safe distance to her partner this time around.

Having an invisible opponent complicated the situation. There weren't many techniques they could use against it and the simple fact that Eunhee didn't know the name of whatever they were fighting rendered her ability almost useless. She huffed in frustration. They had to force the Being to show its face in order to take control and they had to do it quickly, before it could make its way out of the lab.

Pulling a marker out of her pocket, Eunhee stepped forward and lowered her voice. "Jongin." He immediately turned towards her at the sound of his real name. "Distract it; I'll set up a trap."

"Yes, Ma'am!" He saluted and she had just enough time to roll her eyes at him before he vanished and reappeared close to the windows at the other end of the room. "Hey, . Wanna try that again?"

Oh god. Sometimes Eunhee wondered how she had survived this long with a partner like Kai. She tensed when the wind started howling again. Looking around for paper, she couldn't find any in the chaos of broken appliances and sticky fluids. The floor had to do then.

From the corner of her eye, she saw Kai weaving in and out of reality in order to avoid whatever items were getting flung at him, all while closing in on the source of their trouble. He wouldn't be able to actually harm a spectre while it was invisible but Eunhee prayed that their opponent wasn't aware of that fact and would keep focusing on him.

Ducking behind a desk, she picked a spot to draw the first characters - protection. Using Chinese for charms, seals and traps had become as natural as breathing after years of practice but it had been a serious challenge in the beginning. To activate the word, she infused it with some of her energy. It immediately began to emit a soft bluish glow, only visible to her. Satisfied with her work, she peered over the edge of the table to find the next spot.

She only barely avoided getting hit in the face by one of Tao's potted plants. It crashed into the wall behind her and moist dirt rained on her back and got stuck in her hair. Of course, something like this had to happen when she didn't bring any spare clothes.

Eunhee shook her head to get most of the dirt off before she leapt over the desk and took cover behind a shelf. Carefully, she placed the next characters - shield.

For a spectre, a pentagon should be enough to hold it in place. To bind Suho at night, she usually used octagons which were quite a bit stronger, but the more corners a trap had, the more energy it required. Right now she needed to preserve as much as she could to actually deal with the spectre once it showed up.

Creeping forward through the remains of Tao's precious possessions, she placed the next two corners of the pentagon, the characters for shackle and strength.

Okay. One left.

Strands of hair flew into Eunhee's face when a strong gust of wind hit her as soon as she moved out of her hiding spot. Impatiently she brushed them away while keeping an eye on Kai. He was still playing a game of cat-and-mouse with his target, dodging its attacks, but he had stopped using teleportation and already looked quite exhausted. She briefly wondered when he had last fed since this amount of exercise usually was nothing to him.

The sharp edge of a thick encyclopedia struck him in the chest and he snarled while Eunhee winced in sympathy. She had to finish this fast.

Quickly, she moved forward and kneeled between a stained lab coat and the pieces of a probably rather expensive, silvery tool. Pushing them aside to make some space, she drew the last characters – snare - and activated the trap. The glowing words brightened and fine lines appeared, connecting the corners of the pentagon. It out her energy but the amount was bearable - still, she was glad she had not used a more elaborate shape.

Her heart skipped a beat when Suho suddenly began to move down the corridor. The Being had obviously noticed that something was going on due to the drop in her energy. Hopefully it would stay away until they were done with the spectre, otherwise things would get messy.

"Kai!"

He glanced over to her, relief on his face, and ducked when a pair of scissors got hurled towards him. The wind had died down and Eunhee assumed that the spectre had used up most of its energy as well although its aura was still surprisingly powerful.

"Careful, it tried to possess me a few times."

Eunhee frowned at his warning but she wasn't all too worried. Most attempts to possess her didn't work as long as she knew what was coming since her mental defences were strong. And since Possession and Invisibility were two of the most common abilities of spectres, it was rather easy to prepare for it. Being able to control air was unusual though, not something Eunhee had encountered before, therefore she stayed vigilant although its energy appeared almost depleted.

Eunhee eyed the spot where she felt its presence, close to Kai in the back of the room. She needed a way to lure it towards her.

Several cuts opened on Kai's arm when he got hit by another barrage of attacks and he cursed in pain. Looking around, Eunhee picked up a piece of metal and weighed it in her hand. That would do. She threw it in the direction of the spectre and it hit the wall close to Kai, who jumped at the unexpected sound.

"Leave him alone! You've hurt him enough already!"

It felt ridiculous to pretend to be worried about him after only a few small scratches. She looked down to hide her grimace and to pick up more ammunition. Kai only raised a disbelieving eyebrow at her act while she threw a small plastic bottle and a notebook - none of the attacks even close to threatening and completely useless against an incorporeal Being.

Fortunately, the spectre seemed to have come to the conclusion that the anxious young woman was an easy target. Eunhee could feel its presence moving towards her, closer and closer to the trap she had set up. Quickly, she got up and took a step back, leading it to where she wanted it to be, a scared expression on her face. "No! Don't come closer!" Come on, just a few more meters. "Stay back!"

Thinly concealed amusement was sparkling in Kai's eyes while he watched her act. She hoped that he had gotten the hint and would stay out of it but she could already imagine the comments she'd get to hear later.

The presence in front of her came even closer and she suppressed a smirk when she took another step back - and then her foot got caught in whatever was spread out on the floor, making her stumble.

Fingers wrapped around her wrist and stopped her fall when Kai materialized in front of her, strain clearly visible on his face. The spectre stopped its advance at once. "Look where you're going, idiot." Kai's voice was unusually monotone and Eunhee frowned at him.

"Thanks, but-"

He left her no chance to finish before he turned around and snarled in the direction of the spectre, teeth bared and his eyes glowing deep purple. His whole demeanour had changed in a matter of seconds. Eunhee's skin started to prickle when his aura intensified, the evil within breaking through his weakened barriers. It wasn't surprising, considering his current state of exhaustion, but it didn't fit into her plan – at all.

At the threat, the spectre moved back towards the windows, away from the trap Eunhee had prepared.

"No! God damn it, Kai!" Infuriated, she pushed his shoulder, trying to get him to move, but he was like a rock in front of her. "Back off, it needs to come over here," she hissed but he completely ignored her, still snarling at his opponent, instincts overtaking reason. Frustration welled up in her chest. "Kim Jongin! Move!"

The command finally got his attention. His whole body tensed before he turned towards her. They stared each other down for a few long seconds. Finally, his eyes returned to their regular, almost black colour and the unusual ferocity left his features before he obeyed and slowly stepped aside.

With another withering glare, Eunhee turned back to the spectre - but the presence in the middle of the room was gone.

Instead, goosebumps rose on her skin when something cold wrapped around her, taking her sight away. Darkness enveloped her. She had been inattentive, a rookie mistake.

A cool breeze hit her and she shuddered while she looked around. Only blackness greeted her. 'Kai?' Her voice seemed to get swallowed as soon as it left her lips. 'Where are you?'

'You're alone.' The voice that had answered was not one she recognized. It was deep and oddly soothing, as if it was trying to set her at ease.

Hastily Eunhee turned to find the source but couldn't make out anything in the darkness. 'Who are you?'

'I am you. Don't fight me.'

'What?' Her eyebrows furrowed. 'Stop joking.'

'Are doubting me?'

Light flashed around her and suddenly she was back in Tao's wrecked laboratory, Kai next to her, a deep frown on his face while he waved his hand in front of her face. "Stop spacing out, dimwit. Where's the spectre?"

Confused, Eunhee attempted to answer but the words she spoke were different from what she had planned to say. "It fled." She froze. What was happening? "Come on, let's get out of here."

No. She was supposed to be stronger than that. She couldn't be possessed.

"For real? Boss is going to flip his ." Kai ruffled his hair in annoyance and looked back to where the spectre

Please log in to read the full chapter