One

The House of Venus

Love, eternalized.

Taehyung straightens up from the floor tiles he's been meticulously brushing all morning, pushing his stiff arms into a full stretch. His gaze glides across the large fresco directly ahead of him, as a content sigh escapes his lips.

No matter how many times he's seen the painting, the sense of wonder and awe always remains.

In the launguid August afternoon sun, shaded under the oversized canopy he's helped to build, the colors are exuberant, like those of a lucid dream - crimson red from cinnabar, Egyptian blue from baked sand and copper, and deep imperial purple, made from the powder of precious Haematite gems. The scene is of Venus rising from the foamy waves on a large shell. Golden jewelries adorn her neck, wrists and ankles, as her long curly hair flows in the seabreeze against a billowing sail.

Her gaze, serene and enthralling, always seems to stir up something within, quirking his lips into a soft grin.

Some days, Taehyung still can't believe this is his job. After years spent completing his PhD and interning with senior archeologists, he’s finally made it - a lead researcher at the Metropolitan Museum of New York, collaborating with Parco Archeologico Di Pompeii on a two-year project to preserve the House of Venus.

And what a house it is: a sprawling villa with endless rooms to explore, and the expansive courtyard and garden in the back with lush shrubs, under the soft glance of the ethereal Venus on the rear courtyard wall.

A sanctuary filled with beauty and nature. He must've been so happy here, Taehyung muses, thinking absently of the owner of the villa. Except he knows, after years of research, of the turmoil and regrets of that life, like hairline cracks hidden within the beautiful fresco.

Taehyung tilts his head and groans at the dull pain in his neck. Apparently, there's a price to pay even for a dream job. As he thinks of the crackers and water he packed hastily this morning in his backpack by the wall, he catches a glimpse of a shadow in the distance, beyond the crumbled walls of the hallway, by the front foyer overgrown with weed.

Taehyung pauses and hesitates. There are a few other projects in the vicinity, but this section of the research area is far away from the main drag of Pompeii, rarely frequented by tourists or researchers. He's used to the solitude amongst the ruins of forgotten past. Strangely, for someone that's usually social and outgoing, Taehyung has never felt lonely here.

The shadow shifts and pops up again. Yep, definitely got a visitor. Taehyung yawns and heads towards the front of the house. Better not be a nosy tourist stepping all over his survey marks again.



Between the broken walls and fragmented shadows, he walks, tiptoeing over remnants of the past. As Taehyung gets closer, he scans over the figure in front of him - white cap, grey hoodie, ripped black jeans, large backpack on his back. A college student, he's guessing, probably American.

“Let me guess, you’re lost and your phone died.” Taehyung deadpans.

The stranger stares back at him, unabashed. He's young, jet black bangs peeking through the tilted cap, a faint scar by his cheek. “House of Venus, correct?”

“Yeah…” Taehyung tries to remember, in vain, if this house is labeled on the tourist map. He wipes the beads of sweat off his forehead and replies, “Guess I shouldn't assume. This area is just so far away from the main entrance. I've had maybe two people stop by in all of the five months of being here, both lost.” He chuckles and scratches his head.

“You work here?”

A sheepish smile, “Yeah, I look the part, don't I?” Taehyung gestures at the sweat soaked tee and loose blue jeans covered in dust and mud.

The stranger doesn't respond, but gestures around them, “Is this house your research project of some sort?”

Taehyung perks up at the comment, “Oh yes, a dream job, really. I've wanted to work on restoring Pompeii since - well, since I could ever remember.” He paces around and eyes the structures with fondness, “While other kids played video games, I took notes about ancient Rome and learned Latin online. A nerd, I know.”

The stranger looks at him thoughtfully, and murmurs, “Ex nihilo nihil fit.

Taehyung’s eyes widen at the words, “Oh, wow. Yes, nothing comes from nothing. My childish effort did pay off, I agree.” He does a double take and extends out a hand, “Very philosophical, I must say. Sorry, my name is Taehyung, what’s yours?”

Those eyes, boring into him and making him strangely nervous. And the handshake is firm, “Jungkook.”

“Well, Jungkook, you are in luck. I was just about to have a break. Care for a quick curated tour of my favorite house in Pompeii? I mean, I'm biased, of course,” Taehyung makes a silly face, “but honestly, the story behind this place is absolutely amazing.”

No response.

The sudden realization hits Taehyung and makes him blush, “Of course, it’s ok if you don't want to. , I'm sorry, I've been told I get a little too carried away when it comes to work. Can't shove my interest into every person that walks by-”

Jungkook pipes up and interrupts him, “A tour sounds great. I wanted to see this place anyways.”

“Oh!” Taehyung brightens at the response, “Great! If I talk too much or it gets boring, just tell me, ok? I'm supposed to develop key notes for a guided tour of the future exhibit anyways, so this is good practice.”

“Ok.” A short response, but a gentle nod follows, putting Taehyung at ease.

“Alright, where should we start?” He rubs his hands together in excitement, and begins to walk, “Tell me, Jungkook, what attracted you to the House of Venus today?”

A long pause, Taehyung eyes him expectantly, but Jungkook’s expression is impassive. Eventually, he responds, “Been wanting to visit here for a very long time, just never had the courage to make the trip until now.” Something flickers in his eyes, something akin to sorrow. Taehyung stutters at the unexpected tone, “Ohh, hmm, it's a beautiful place, really. No need to be intimidated.”

He points to the majestic door frame behind them with Ionic pillars, “The main structure was built during 1st century BC, but most of the visible components are the results of a major renovation in 73 AD, when the house was sold to a new buyer.” He taps on the cracked floor gingerly, drawing attention to the marble inlaid, “No expense was spared during the renovation, for example, these multi-colored marble triangles you see here were all shipped from various quarries in Sicily and the Greek islands.”

“Hmm, extravagant taste.”

“Well, here's the thing,” Taehyung raises his brow dramatically, “the buyer was no ordinary citizen, but a future emperor - Titus purchased the house six years before he inherited the throne, as a gift to his lover.”

Jungkook hums and adverts his gaze, but Taehyung inches closer and continues, cheeks flushed, “The background story is so fascinating, I think I might be a little obsessed. The lover’s name is Aurelius Tullius Cicero, well, that's the name given to him by the emperor anyways. He was a born slave from the house of Lucius Cicero, a well known politician who offered the beautiful Aurelius to Titus at a young age. Titus named him such because Aurelius means -”

“The golden one…” Jungkook’s words are whisper quiet but Taehyung catches them and exclaims, “Wait, are you a language major? Because wow, your Latin off the cuff might be even better than mine.”

“No, mechanical engineering. I like Latin though, it's comforting.” Jungkook pulls down on his cap, voice quiet and reminiscent.

Taehyung chuckles, “An engineer with an appreciate for the ancient tongue, very impressive.”

They make their way down the hallway, lingering at various rooms before continuing. Taehyung chats away with happiness gleaming in his eyes, “This house was meant as a vacation spot, but Aurelius spent long periods here every summer, and continued to decorate to his liking. There are stunning frescos in every room, potteries and sculptures we are still uncovering and categorizing, and endless fruit trees in one of the biggest courtyards in Pompeii. The house was loved and well lived in, because Aurelia had a secret.” Taehyung wiggles his brows for dramatic effect, and smiles at Jungkook like a giddy little kid.

Jungkook hums as he strides away. Taehyung follows after him, “C’mon, this is the best part. Aren't you curious what it is?”

Jungkook glances down the hallway, into the lush courtyard at the end, and replies, “Secrets are meant to be private and respected as such, not shared as cheap entertainment between strangers.”

Taehyung frowns, “Well, of course, I didn’t dedicate years to study this house and Aurelius for entertainment. Stories help people understand the past. Aurelius deserves to be remembered as a slave who left his mark on history.”

Jungkook turns to look at him. The warm afternoon sun slides across his profile, highlighting the firm jawline and the stern eyes. His gaze is unflinching, “Does he? Or maybe, sometimes the past is best forgotten. Personally, I’d rather look towards the future, than to dwell in tragedies of the past.”

Taehyung huffs and tries to stay diplomatic, “Well, I suppose we have different opinions on things then, which is odd considering you seemed to be interested in this site. But alright, let's move on then, maybe we can wrap up this little tour at the courtyard.”

They walk in silence, shoulder to shoulder down the hallway. Jungkook sighs and speaks up quietly, “I didn't mean to interrupt you like that. I'm just - not used to talking about these things. Please continue as you see fit.”

Taehyung stares at him, but rolls his eyes and continues, “We found through objects and documents at the house, that Aurelius spent many long summers here with someone close to his heart. His name is Maximus Decimus Sulla, a centurion that fought alongside Titus during his military career, and was promoted to prefect of the prestigious Praetorian Guard once Titus inherited the throne as emperor. It was a long secret affair - the emperor’s lover and one of his most trusted military officials, meeting at the vacation villa away from the prying eyes of the public. Aurelius left countless private notes about Maximus - poems, letters, quick scribbles, purchase records of his favorite things... He was hopelessly in love, however dangerous it probably was for both of them.”

Jungkook hums. Taehyung spots his stiff back and tightened fists, and wonders if he should continue with the tale. He turns to notice that the hallway has opened up to a wide clearing, and they’ve reached the courtyard.

It’s expansive, the ancient fruit trees only existing in Taehyung’s imaginations now. Instead, wild shrubs flourish in the yard, with small paths cutting through and into the center.

As they step onto one of the paths, Taehyung can’t help but feel elated again, “Aurelius loved nature, setting up canopies and benches for both of them to lounge under the large pomegranate trees. And there used to be a stone fountain by the Tuscan style impluvium there.” He points at the clearing in the center, with shattered limestone and marble slates on the ground. “Took me a long time to expose those tiles from the volcanic pumice that was caked on there.”

“The statue...” Jungkook’s voice is in a trance.

Taehyung turns to face him, “What do you mean… well we never found any statue here, but I thought the same, that it felt like there would be one on top of the fountain. Something elegant and enchanting, like -“

“...a nymph.” Jungkook meets Taehyung’s surprised gaze, and looks away abruptly, “I mean, maybe like the two nymphs beside Venus on the fresco over there. Just a guess.”

“Yeah, that’s a really good guess though. We did find bronze fragments at this spot...” Taehyung muses out loud, as he swipes a tall shrub away from his leg, “You know, you have an amazing knack for envisioning the past. I mean, my teachers have said the same thing about me but I’ve practically lived and breathed this stuff all my life, but you-“

“Hmm, why do they say that about you?” Jungkook looks up and changes the subject.

Taehyung clicks his tongue and sketches his neck, “Well, this may sound kinda weird, but I just have a feeling sometimes, especially in this house, of how things were. Like placement of structures and such.”

Jungkook pauses and Taehyung suddenly feels his eyes zooming in on him. He runs his fingers through his hair and adds sheepishly, “Honestly, I think it’s just me being a nerd, you know, been reading about this stuff for too long. Sometimes I even have dreams, vivid ones, of this house.”

“Dreams…” Jungkook walks towards him, drawing out the words carefully, “What do you dream about?”

“Well, ok-“ Taehyung wrings his hands, unsure if he should continue, but Jungkook’s gaze is focused. Something about him, something Taehyung can't quit pinpoint, makes him feel simultaneously on edge but heard, wanting to spill out his thoughts.

Taehyung clears his throat and continues, mind drifting, trying to remember the images and sensations of the dreams, “They are fleeing, just broken fragments. The sound of birds by the fountain, the rays of sun streaming through the pomegranate tree branches, stuff like that. And this feeling, such melancholy, like it was the best moment of my life, filled with intense love, yet also the most desperate, suffocatingly so-“

Taehyung stops himself abruptly and feels his cheeks flush, “I’m sorry, I don’t know where that came from. Please just ignore what I said. It’s prolly just the sleep deprivation talking…”

He realizes Jungkook is standing next to him with furrowed brows, “Don't apologize, please, I wish you’d never apologize ever again. I should've known that you’d be here, being drawn to this place like I am...” His eyes are suddenly blazing with a mixture of new found recognition and disbelief, as if he’s looking at Taehyung for the first time, and reaching out to touch his arm gingerly. For a split second, Taehyung gets the inexplicable feeling that he understands - the dreams, the mysterious reveries he's experienced since childhood, all the obsessions throughout his life - he understands them all, this stranger he's just met, better than Taehyung himself.

Taehyung gulps, but before he can respond, Jungkook pulls back and steps away. His voice suddenly grows cold, face turned away, “But none of this matters anymore. If the dreams ever become too much, try to forget about them and move on. They are just empty dreams now, they have no power over your life anymore.”

The cryptic words sting unexpectedly, making Taehyung bite down on his lower lip, “I wish I understand what you mean… but anyways, that's my oversharing moment of the day.” He rubs between his brows and walks away, trying to shake off the strange sensations, “Let’s just move on… Here's the highlight of the tour - Venus on the Shell, the largest fresco and namesake of the house.” He walks towards the fresco and takes it in reverently, willing for the serenity of the painting to calm his mind.

Jungkook follows behind and pauses beside him wordlessly. Directly ahead of them, the oversized painting sprawls out in glorious colors and graceful lines. Taehyung eventually breaks the tense silence, “Venus was the patron deity of Pompeii, the locals prayed to her, especially when it came to matters of love, of course. Sometimes I wonder if she ever protected Aurelius in those dark hours.”

“You mean, during the volcanic eruption.”

Taehyung nods solemnly, “The house was left in an occupied state that day - food on the table, wine glass by the bench. It feels like he was here, during those final moments. Yet we never found him. I've always wondered what happened - was he here? Did he spend the last hours alone, or maybe, by some miracle of Venus, he was with Maximus, and they somehow escaped together…”

He feels Jungkook’s gaze again, assessing and searching. Taehyung adds hastily, “You know what, I'm digressing again. I've wasted enough of your time-”

“No, tell me, what do you think happened…” Jungkook strides towards him and rasps, “... what makes you think they were together …”

Taehyung purses his lips, but relents, “Aurelius disappeared after Pompeii was destroyed by the eruption. There was no record of his death, but emperor Titus named a constellation after him, as well as a golden wildflower that still grows along the coastline here. And Maximus… It’s probably just my wishful thinking, but I get this hunch, that Maximus loved him just as much, and wouldn’t have left him to die alone.”

Taehyung pulls on his bottom lip, lost in his own muddled thoughts, only to be snapped back when Jungkook pipes up beside him, the gravity in his voice taking him by surprise, “However it ended for them, their love should never be glorified. Aurelius died as a slave, and his love only brought him sorrow.”

Taehyung winces and turns to face him, incredulous, “Don’t you think you’re being presumptuous again? This was your first time here, right? How much do you know about them? How could you judge them-“

He in a breath and tries to swallow his words, but the stubbornness in Jungkook’s eyes irritates him, making him blurt out his thoughts once more, “How do you think it should’ve been then, if you know love so well?”

Jungkook dips his head, as his gaze disappears under the cap, and responds, “If Maximus cannot protect the one he loves, then maybe it’s better they never meet at all. If he ever had a choice…”

Taehyung’s eyes widen at the words, as a dull ache spreads in his heart, making his chest heavy and breath stuttered. He ignores it and shifts his stance, not wanting to give voice to the exasperation on his mind.

They stand in the courtyard with walls of painted frescos and lush bushes, together yet distant, each brooding in their own thoughts. There’s something very strange about Jeongguk, how he seems to be upset by the conversation yet drawn to the place. Taehyung’s gaze follows Jeongguk as he walks along the columned perimeter of the courtyard with a strange air of familiarity, until he pauses at one of the corners at the far back edge.

“How much have you excavated below grade?” Jeongguk asks while looking at the corner.



Taehyung answer reluctantly, “Most of the excavation has been towards the center of the courtyard, any closer to the walls would threaten the integrity of the whole place.”

“So you haven’t explored this spot, for example.” Jungkook digs the tip of his black converse into the hard soil.

Taehyung sighs, “I don’t know what you’re trying to get at. I mean, I brought ground penetrating radar equipment with me, but the scan results have been ambiguous, as expected with all the debris in the soil. Look, if you’re done with your visit, I should probably get back to my work-“

His words are interrupted by Jungkook, who strides towards him with intent eyes, making his breath hitch. “I believe the past is best left buried, but if it's truly what you seek, then you have a right to know, so give it another shot. Some things are worth the risk.”

His gaze cuts through Taehyung, beyond his exterior, deep into the recess of his thoughts. Shakily, Taehyung murmurs the questions that have been plaguing his mind, “Do I know you, Jungkook? Have we met before? Have I forgotten something?”

He watches as Jungkook stares into his eyes with parted lips. But nothing comes out, instead, he shakes his head, seemingly frustrated with himself, and turns around wordlessly, walking away and eventually disappearing out of his sight without a second glance. Taehyung worries his lip between his teeth, and looks down at his trembling hands in bewilderment.

The serenity of solitude slowly permeates the place once again, as he stands amongst the ruins and faded glory. Yet his thoughts are muddled, heart hammering in his chest. It takes Taehyung a long time to realize that despite Jungkook’s harsh words, strangely, he wished their encounter didn't end so abruptly.



The following week, Taehyung runs a complete radar scan of the courtyard, and starts excavation cautiously. It takes him another two weeks to find the collapsed remnants of stairs leading into the hardened earth, right where Jungkook marked the soil. A few more researchers join his effort, chipping away the thick layer of volcanic pumice until the path downward starts to reveal itself, eventually leading into an underground storage area. When Taehyung’s chisel hits hollow space, his heart trembles and lips part, pushing out a stuttered exhale.

Once they have excavated out a big enough opening, Taehyung grabs a flashlight and crawls in alone.

The light flickers in his hand, illuminating the darkness beyond. He hops onto the ground not far below. The air is eerily still, each particle suspended for thousands of years and suddenly vibrating again in the fresh draft. His eyes adjust to the darkness, back slowly straightened at the realization that the ceiling hovers above his head.

Taehyung’s gaze flits around, making sense of the blurry outlines in the dark. Shelves, dusty surfaces with objects covered in dust - each item calls for his attention, as adrenaline courses through his veins. But he keeps moving, head dipped low and back hunched, searching.

Finally, the column of light trembles and hits a figure by the back of the space. Taehyung’s breath hitches as he nearly drops the flashlight. His eyes sting, and the heartache returns, but he keeps walking, closer and closer towards what he’s been seeking all these years.

The figure is caked in clay, a hollow encasement eternalized by the scorching heat of the original pumice. Two people are huddled together, heads leaning into each other. Their faces are blurred, frozen with closed eyes. But there’s no agony or fear. Instead, their expressions are serene.

It’s as if they are in eternal rest, leaning into each other, and away from the clamour of the outside world.

Taehyung knees to the ground, as the flashlight lowers in his hand. Each breath sends shivers through his entire body, as tears drops uncontrollably. It must be fatigue, he thinks to himself, wiping the tears away hastily with the back of his hand.

He was right all along - they were here together, Aurelius and Maximus, becoming a part of Pompeii history during the final hours. It’s the biggest breakthrough of his career, the stuff of front page news. He should be elated at the discovery, a satisfying closure to Aurelius’ tale he’s been tracing all these years.

But why does his heart hurt so damn much instead, as if it’s being ripped apart physically, never to be whole again. And why won’t the tears stop falling, big salty drops that blur his vision and make a mess of everything.

What’s wrong with him? Why does it feel like he’s forgotten the most important part of his life?

꧁꧂



A year passes.

The courtyard is rectangle and flanked by endless columns. The silk leaves of the tall fruit trees are almost as lush as the real things, under the soft rosy light imitating a fiery dusk. The tiles of the impluvium were tirelessly laid out by hand, based on photos of the original. There’s a trickling fountain in the middle, topped by a delicate bronze statue of a dancing nymph. The fragments on site only yielded about a third of the image once patched together, so Taehyung took some liberty in imagining the rest. Somehow it looks right to him, the sinuous lines of the nymph’s limbs extending gracefully in the watery surrounding.

On the back wall of the courtyard, the fresco of Venus on the shell is faithfully reproduced, hand painted using traditional techniques based on projection scans. Taehyung leans onto the fountain and meets the mysterious gaze of Venus across the courtyard. Thousands of miles across the ocean, in a new world and a new life, she still manages to instill a sense of serenity within him.

It's no longer Pompeii, but a modern metropolis of an entirely different pace and atmosphere - Manhattan, New York. This is all a replica for the newly revamped Pompeii exhibit section of the Metropolitan Museum, and it’s opening night.

The crowds are hovering around the artifact section in the distance, the clamor and blinking flashes spilling over from time to time. Here, in the small courtyard at the back of the exhibit, the lights are dimmer and visitors few and far in between.

Taehyung dips his hand into the fountain, feeling the water ebbing through his fingers, mind hazy from the distant lull of the crowd.

He’s grateful for this small corner of respite, making him yearn for the house where he left his heart at, back in Pompeii. It’s comforting, however artificial.

“Pretty spot.” The deep voices pulls him out of his reverie. Taehyung looks up to see the stern eyes under the jet black bangs.

Taehyung frowns. All these months, he’s been plagued by their conversation, fragments of it invading his thoughts at random hours. He thought about looking him up, only to stare at the laptop forever, and feel like an idiot in the end. If only they could meet again, all the things he’s wanted to say, all the questions occupying his mind-

“Why’re you here?” , Taehyung regrets the bitter words the moment they slip out.

Jungkook doesn’t respond right away, but takes his time to pace around, eyes scanning the surrounding carefully. He’s wearing a starched white dress shirt with black pants, with an entirely different aura, more commanding, older. “Should be more trees. The fountain and statue though are perfect.”

Taehyung lowers his head and purses his lips, “Here you go again playing the expert, honestly I don’t know why I even listen to you. The House of Venus has never gone through a public exhibit until now, there’s no way you’d know everything you pretend to know.”

Jungkook turns to face him, “I didn’t come to argue. Well, I don’t even know why I came, to be honest. But this is amazing, what you’ve done here.”

Taehyung’s expression softens a little at the words, as he fidgets with the sleeve of his jacket and responds, “I can’t take all the credit, there’s a whole team dedicated to this, years of work.” He looks towards the fresco, voice gentle, “It is a dream come true though, bringing the essence of the house here, letting more people hear their stories.”

“Did you find what you were looking for?”

Taehyung’s throat dries at the words, but he steadies his breath and nods. They stand in silence for a moment, letting the trickling of the fountain wash over all their thoughts.

Eventually, Taehyung pipes up again, “Didn’t think I’d ever see you again. I thought you hated all this, the antiquity, the romance, all of it.”



Jeongguk glances at him thoughtfully, and speaks, as he steps towards him, “I do. I dislike history, it glorifies the past, turns tragedies into romance, I much prefer thinking about the future. Yet like a fool, I keep coming back to all this, keep submitting to the pull...” Gingerly, his fingers graze by the surface of the water in the fountain, “Have you ever thought about your beloved story from the perspective of Maximus? What torture it must’ve been, to fall in love with someone that he can never protect and defend? And what if, in that one last moment of existence, all he could think of was how Aurelius sacrificed his chance to escape just for their last moment together. Love makes a mess of things, and some memories of the past are best left forgotten.”

Taehyung retorts, “You know what, for someone that’s so pessimistic about love, you sure talk about it a lot. And so what if there’s regret or tragedies in the past, nothing in life is perfect, but I’d like to believe some love is worth the effort. And that decision, is up to the individual, not to you.”

Jeongguk stares into his eyes, and to Tae’s surprise, a soft smile starts to spread by his lips, “Still so headstrong… I’ve always wondered what you’d be like, in a different time, finally free... Somethings never change, I suppose...”

Just when Taehyung is about to question him in confusion, Jeongguk adds, “Do you believe in reincarnation? That memories of the past could be retained in a new life?”

Taehyung stutters, feeling a strange tug on his heart, “What do you mean? I’m not following-“

Jeongguk steps closer, and suddenly Taehyung realizes they are inches apart, Jeongguk’s breath hitting his skin faintly as he leans in and whispers, “Venus ventus temerarus, meus amor.

The words are simple and muted, yet the intonation feels different to Taehyung, like an ancient omen that reverberates on his mind. He tries to respond but only a feeble gasp escapes, as a realization suddenly dawns upon him - that in all of his dreams, there was always a presence, strong and comforting, shielding him from all the sorrow and fear.

Taehyung shakes his head and tries to rid of the dizziness that clouds his vision. But blurry images flash across his mind, of balmy nights and lingering warmth, and how he whispered the same words in the dark, with love b in his heart.


  Venus favours the bold, my love.

Taehyung snapped around towards fresco, Venus’ smile enigmatic, eyes fond and holding a secret. Taehyung blinks hard but feels the mist rising in his eyes, and feels the familiar ache ripping through his body.

His heart knows, that something is missing, something important and making his soul incomplete. The sudden gaping hole scares him, turning each breath erratic and filled with trepidation.

A hand reaches out to him, pulling him out of the spiral. Taehyung looks up and spots Jungkook next to him, the warmth of his palm radiating through his sleeve, “Take a deep breath, it’s ok.”

Taehyung shakes his head, “You and your cryptic words. And why do I always feel weird around you, my heart gets so heavy…” He wants to shrug his hand off, but his arm grows weak at the thought, and Taehyung sighs and leaves it.

“Everything will be ok now, the past can't hurt you anymore.” Jungkook’s gaze is impassive, “I believe in the future, in new beginnings. Could I ask you a favor, Taehyung?”

Taehyung hums and eyes him hesitantly.

“I think there's a coffee shop down the street. Let me introduce myself properly, and have a chance to learn about you? A new start, away from here, what do you say?”

Taehyung mulls it over, biting his lips, before nodding slowly, “A new start.” Jungkook’s lips curl into a reassuring smile, as the gleam in his eyes flickers. Together, they walk out of the little courtyard with the artificial sunset hues and the rustling silk leaves, heading into the real world.

On the back wall, Venus’ smile is unfaltered, glancing down onto their silhouette, guarding their safety in silence.

꧁꧂

Months fly by, and it surprises Taehyung how easy it is to fall in love with Jungkook. They disagree all the time, and can’t be more different, yet there’s an innate sense of trust that binds them together. Every movement and every glance of his tugs at Taehyung’s heart string, drowning him in swirls of emotions he can’t quite explain. And when they finally kiss, it feels so natural, so very gentle and comforting, like two lost souls that have always meant to collide into each other.

But the dreams, oh the dreams, how more and more vivid they become over time, to the point that Taehyung begins to dread sleep, no matter how Jungkook assures him he’ll be right next to him every night.

The dreams are no longer blurry fragments of sundrenched afternoons, but in various locations and time, heated and excruciating in the myriad of raw emotions they bring out of him. On this particular night, the dream feels differently, more personal, more heart wrenching. He's in a dark room with flickering candles, fists clenching and teeth digging into his bottom lip until it’s swollen and achy. The tall figure in front of him is brooding with exasperation fuming, and delivers the words that send shivers down his spine, “He asked me what I thought of you again. I can't lie to him anymore, the one I've sworn to protect with my life, can't keep going like this…”

Taehyung wipes away the tears streaming down his face, and retorts bitterly, “So what do you want to do? Tell him all about us, and have both of us executed for it? Or maybe you’re hoping he'd spare you, then you can watch him toss me to the side, like an object he no longer prefers.”

A growl, and Maximus responds through gritted teeth, “Don't - say things like that, you know me better than that-”

“Do I? All I know is you’re sick of this morbid thing that we have. Look, I’ve never had anything of my own, and I'm not going to beg now. I'll be leaving for Pompeii tomorrow. If you're not there in a week, if I don't see you-” Taehyung clenches his jaw, “-well, then I'll know it's farewell.” He turns and steps away, not turning back, not giving himself the chance to regret. The heartache will go away, he whispers to himself, blinking hard to rid of the tears.

Then the dreamscape dims and swirls, and the next time he looks up, he’s sitting in the familiar lush courtyard in Pompeii, surrounded by all his favorite lovely things. But something’s off - the clouds are dark and hanging suffocatingly low, the chirping of the birds gone. It’s eerily silent, the air stagnant and still. Suddenly he feels a tremor from the ground, then another, as if a monster is slowly awakening from below. He staggers up, confused, only to hear the screams of the servants and hurried footsteps towards the door. He follows the rushed silhouettes in the hallway and ends up on the cobbled street, gazing into Mount Vesuvius in the distance. His usually favorite view is blocked by the frantic crowds scrambling on the street, but the column of smoking rising impossibly high from the top of the mountain is unmistakable, growing and spreading as the tremor shakes the whole world awake.

Taehyung stares at the chaos on the street, stunned and strangely detached. Gradually, he retrieve back to the house, past the entrance way with the gleaming marble tiles, through the pristine hallways coloured in cinnabar and gold. He’s back in the safe embrace of the courtyard, under the lush branches of the pomegranate trees they planted together. The tremor of the earth startles him again. Pompeii is in danger, he can either crawl back to his gilded cage in Rome, or, is there suddenly a second option in life?

Slowly, an idea blossoms and settles in his heart- he can choose to stay and wait for the person that may never arrive. His choice, nobody else’s. The prospect excites him, of suddenly becoming in control of his own fate. Every fiber of his body loosens at the thought - relief, as if a heavy burden has suddenly been lifted, and the freedom that comes with it. Freedom, what a word. Does a born slave like him even deserve freedom?

He blinks away the mist in his eyes, and silently gazed into the ominous sky, pushing out a long exhale.

Taehyung shakes his head, feeling the swirl of darkness in his peripheral, and the next time he blinks and opens his eyes, the dreamscape has changed again.

The air is thick and hot, filled with dust, pushing a string of coughs out of his throat. The tree leaves around him rustle each time the world groans and trembles. The sky is ablaze in a sinister crimson, stinging his eyes.

His body feels on fire, skin parched, every cell vibrating and alerting of the danger. How long has he been sitting in the courtyard? Is it night time already?

His breath hitches, and he swallows a desperate sob that threatens to break out. Hell is on earth and he’s utterly alone.

Yet a voice reverberates on his mind stubbornly, refusing to be silenced - he’s coming, soon.

He closes his eyes, chest heaving and mind hazy, snapping back to the voice within - why would he? It was over before you even made it to Pompeii. He has everything in the world, prestige, glory, trust of the emperor, why would he come to a fallen city, risking his life for someone that’s the property of another.

Love was nothing but a dream, a fervent dream. People like him don’t deserve love, not the everlasting kind anyways.

He grimaces and refuses to give into the darkness within. It was his choice, to stay for something he believed in, isn’t that worth something, to die for a belief, a final moment of freedom from what he was born into?

His gaze turns firm, as he looks back to Venus gazing down from the wall, smile enigmatic and hair billowing in the mysterious wind.

Please, goddess, all I ask is the strength to write my own fate, in this life or the next.

Just then, he hears the neighing and stomping of a horse approaching, cutting through the thick silence.

No. His first response is denial. It’s not him. There’s no way.

But his heart betrays him and hammers nervously, and he finds himself rushing towards the open foyer, as the dark sky threatens to devour him whole.

The sight of Maximus almost knocks the breath out of him. His white Camague stallion is pushed to the brink, foaming at the mouth and veins pulsing with each gasp. As Maximum swings himself off and steps onto the tiled floor, the horse wobbles and whines weakly, nearly tipping over.

He is almost afraid to meet those dark eyes, piercing through him and making him irritatingly weak. But Maximus sighs, and opens his arms.

He finds himself crashing into the warm embrace, and the sobs won’t stop, as if something in his heart has finally breached and can no longer be ignored. A firm hand rubs on his back slowly, as the words fall, voice deep and troubled, “Why did you stay? I could’ve met you on the road back to Rome. You should’ve gotten out at the first sight of danger, like all the servants. Why were you so damn stubborn?”

The sobs turn louder. He feels wronged, unheard, all the buried sorrow from his existence suddenly rushing out, overwhelming him, “I said I was gonna wait for you. Not leaving until you’re here…”

Another sigh, he could feel the tremor of Maximus’ torso next to his, all the bottled up emotions threatening to explode, “I was so scared I wouldn’t be able to find you, lost you forever. Let’s go, maybe we can make it half way back before-“

The sudden fear in his eyes gives Maximus pause, “Please, please don’t make me go anywhere. I don’t ever want to go back. All my life has been a dream, a dream created just for him, until the day I met you. But now I live in a web of lies in every waking hour, and watch the lies tear us apart and put you in danger.”

The light in Maximus’ eyes dims, as he cups Taehyung’s face and thumbs the tears away gently, “Don’t do this, love. You’ve always been a fighter, never surrendered, hmm? I want you to live. What if we head south, we can aim for the shore, maybe find a ship...”

“No. I won't make you a fugitive, not when your life has been built on loyalty. And if he ever finds us, your entire family will be executed for all to see...” Taehyung wipes the tears off his cheeks, and leans into a kiss, breathing his words into his lips, “No more. Not a slave, not a fugitive, it all ends here. This is our home, and I’m staying here forever.”

He feels Maximus’ lips chasing him, echoing the passion and heartaches, suffocating him with all the unspoken thoughts between them. Taehyung pours all his life and tears into the kiss, drowning within it, willingly surrendering.

When they finally part, he gasps and hesitates to gaze into the dark orbs staring back at him, afraid of spotting traces of hesitation, “You don't have to stay if you’re not sure. I'm - I'm grateful that you came for me, that alone is enough…” his words trail off, lips trembling.

Maximus’ eyes flicker, and there's something dark within, the gravity of it making his heart heavy and eyes sting. It's not hesitation or regret, no, something more pained, more wretched.

“I wish it didn't end like this. You deserve so much more, maybe in a different life, a blessed one, I can watch you soar with the freedom you deserve. But love, you know I'd never leave you behind. Tua sum, meum est aureum.”


  I belong to you, my golden one.

The words echo on his mind, looping and reverberating, and Taehyung in a deep breath, feeling simultaneously drowning within the overwhelming undertow of this life, yet also hovering and observing from afar.


  My golden one.

He sees the mist rising in Maximus’ eyes, and it reminds him of another set of dark eyes, wrought with inexplicable guilt, etched onto his mind since the day they met amidst the crumbling ruins.

Maximus and Aurelius, Jungkook and him. They've always been two of the same, two reincarnated souls bound together by love from the past that was too painfully precious to forget.

The realization splits him wide open, as memories of a past life comes pouring into the dream, traumatizing with all the vivid sensations. Time fast-forwards in rapid motion, until the sky turns into a shade of desolate black, and thick rain of pumice begins to fall, scorching everything in its wake. By the time they makes it into the underground storage, and bolted the wooden door, the air is already too hot to breath, burning down his throat and making him cough and choke. His eyes sting and are blurry from tears, but as Maximus carries him to the corner in the back of the room, as they gaze into each other one last time, something gives pause to all the fear and dread looming in his heart.

It’s the way Maximus looks at him, gentle and in rapture. It suddenly reminds him of the first time they saw each other, deep in the imperial palace, when he was a young scrawny thing shrouded in a brilliant golden silk tunic, bright eyes filled with trepidation for the unknown future. It’s the same gaze that saw who he was, beyond the shackles that came at birth, deep into his soul. Just him.

Gradually, all the fear evaporates, the shiver stops, and he feels his torso slacks and surrenders. A smile blooms as the world fades away, and he curls into his embrace, cheek to cheek, fingers clasped tightly, and closes his eyes.

Together, for eternity. He no longer fears the darkness.



Taehyung’s eyes finally snap open, as he stumbles up and gasps for air. The night is silent, and all around him, his modern bedroom suddenly feels foreign and foreboding. Where did it all go, the scorching heat, the embrace, the love that filled his heart to the brim...

His hands reach to cover his face, as the tears fall uncontrollably, for all that's lost and forgotten along the passage of time.

How could he have forgotten it all?

A warm arm drapes over his shivering shoulders, lending him strength to draw from, and a voice speaks up from beside him, deep and comforting, “It's ok, it's just a dream. You’re safe. I'm here.”

Taehyung pushes up his hair that's soaked in cold sweat and rasps, “I can’t - I can’t - it’s too much… Am I him, but what about this life? And it hurts so much, all the loneliness, all the love that could only be kept in secret… they were buried alive, oh my god-“ he’s hiccupping, chest rising and falling sharply to the hyperventilation.

“Breathe. Take a deep breath in, and hold it.” Jungkook’s sitting up, embracing him and rubbing his back gently. “It’s all in the past, it has no power over you anymore.”

He tries hard to inhale deeper, to calm the hammering heart that aches so terribly, “I forgot about us, all our memories together, all the dreams and promises I was willing to die for. How could I?” The sobs are deep and wounded, as he stares into Jungkook in bewilderment, tears flowing down his cheeks.

“It’s ok. It’s better you didn't remember, easier. I didn't want you to feel this pain again. And you seemed so happy in this life, so vibrant and independent, just the way I hoped you’d be.” Jungkook kisses him by the crown of his hair, and murmurs, seemingly to himself, “You know, I never thought I’d find you in this life, always figured that my memories were meant to be a punishment of some sort, to be carried alone.”

Taehyung looks up and bites his lips, “What do you mean, punishment?”

“Well…” Jungkook’s voice turns somber, as his hand rests on Taehyung’s back, “I failed you so miserably in that past life. I was never able to protect you, couldn’t let go of my responsibilities to the emperor, couldn’t give you the happiness that you deserved. I watched, just like everyone else in court, as you yielded to his needs every day. I couldn't protect you, not even in the last moment when you willingly died to escape your fate.”

“It’s not your fault. That was my fate, I was groomed for him, you had no power to change that. Only Titus could.”

Jungkook’s gaze hardens, “Yes, he could. He could’ve freed you, given you the only thing that you ever truly wanted. But he didn’t. And I understand.” He laces his fingers through Taehyung’s hair absently, “Neither of us could afford losing you. In his own way, he wanted to ensure that - your absolute submission to him.”

Taehyung listens, not quite understanding and mind still in a haze, but Jungkook’s gravelly voice calms him as always. He curls into him and murmurs, “How could it have all been thousands of years ago? It feels so vivid, like it was all just yesterday. And you looked so differently back then, but felt exactly the same. The light in your eyes, that stern look when you disagree with me, how could I have not realized…”

“Well, maybe I was wrong after all. Maybe I was made to remember, not as a punishment, but to find you and help you make sense of it all. Maybe I was meant to atone for my guilt with a new beginning.” Jungkook’s expressions soften as he pulls Taehyung closer.

Taehyung steadies his breath with a long exhale, “I don’t want you to feel guilty for anything, I was happy. The pain was unbearable because the joy was just as intense. And like you said, we can look into the future now. You did find me, you always do.” He rubs his misty eyes and feels the weariness washing over him, as the tremor of his torso eases, “What will happen to us now, love? What happens to people that carries the past with them?”

A sigh in the dark, Jungkook eventually answers slowly, “I don’t know, I have no idea what the future holds. Are we destined for each other forever? Or we’ll go through tough times yet in this new world? I don’t know, but that’s what’s so wonderful about the future, no? That it’s wide open, with nothing set in stone. We are free.” There’s a gentle lilt to his voice, the hopefulness of it tainting Taehyung’s mind, making his shoulders slump and relax..

“True.”

They both turn silent, dwelling in their thoughts. The radiating warmth of Jungkook’s body grounds him, fading away the vibrant gold and cinnabar of the past on his mind. He closes his eyes and searches for the faint thrumming of Jungkook’s heart, lulling himself into a moment of respite.

Are they the only ones, or there are forgotten fragments of everyone on earth scattered along history, woven into the fabric of time as lives end and begin in an infinite loop? And right in the center of this perpetual chase, between the wandering souls and the gossamer clouds of fate, a timeless constant.

Love, eternalized.



꧁꧂

Jungkook stands in the front foyer amidst scattered tiles and overgrown weed, and looks through the crumbling hallway extending deep into the back. There's a figure in the distance, one hip jutted out, arms crossed, facing away from him. The lazy afternoon sun traces the outline of the figure’s brown hair in a faint halo, and the back of his tee is soaked in sweat. But the stranger doesn't seem to care. He's immobilized, gazing into something intently.



Maximus walks through the covered passage flanking the small atrium, and glances at the reflective onyx pool in the middle absently. There's a figure seated by the pool, in a shimmery golden tunic, feet dangling over the edge. His head is dipped low, as sun rays reflect off the still water and dance on his honey-toned skin. A small smile plays by the corner of his lips, as he gazes into the pool, lost in thoughts.



Jungkook sighs and considers leaving. It was a ridiculous idea, coming back to Pompeii, to this very house, succumbing to all the heartaches when the love is long gone, and there's nothing left saved for the scattered ruins and faded frescos. Yet as he forces himself to turn away, there's an inexplicable pull that gives him pause. Something about the figure in the distance, unfamiliar yet comforting, beckons for him to step deeper into the house instead. Jungkook frowns, feet stuck and suddenly unsure of what to do next. He hears noises ahead of him and looks up, and realizes the stranger has turned around and is walking toward him. Their eyes lock, and Jungkook feels a gentle contentment washing over his heart, as the moment pauses just for the two of them.


 

Maximus pinches his brows, the heated debate back at court still lingering on his mind. He's always hated the imperial palace - the endless politics, the opulence and excess permeating every corner, it's all too much, suffocatingly him with every breath. Yet as he wills himself to walk away, he finds his gaze fixated on the boy by the pool. Something about him, something pure and innocent that radiates through, despite the alluring clothes and traces of rouge on his lips. Maximus sighs, and just as he forces himself to look away, the boy glances up and smiles timidly. There are glimmers in his eyes, and Maximum feels his heart stir. The golden slipper on the boy’s foot slides off carelessly, casting endless ripples across the watery surface.



FINIS