Chapter 2

Euphoria

Jeon Jungkook had never been much of a literature enthusiast. But his dedication toward visiting the old public library down the street has become much more noticeable lately. He had been visiting the place for two weeks straight, for god knows what reason.

According to him, the uni’s library was very crowded, and this place was way more peaceful. It was close to where he lived. There was also a coffee shop across the road. The whole environment was perfect for sipping some coffee and getting some work done in peace. However, Jungkook actually did not get any work done. He just sat on his usual table opening his textbooks. His eyes not on the pages but constantly looking around the library, mostly fixed on the libraries entrance and around the middle area of the second aisle from the left.

That’s how the past two weeks went by. Until the day, when Jungkook entered with a cup of hot chocolate in his hand only to find a certain someone occupying his usual seat.

That certain someone was completely absorbed in the book opened before him. As if he had forgotten the whole world and everything else beyond. The only thing that mattered was the book and the boy himself, who occasionally reached forward to grab his cup of coffee to take a small sip.

 Five minutes went past. The boy still didn’t seem to be aware of the presence of Jeon Jungkook, who was standing right in front of him. Finally, the brunette decided to break the silence with an awkward cough.

The boy looked up immediately. His black locks beautifully framing his perfect face. His long eyelashes fluttered upon his cheeks, which had a faint natural blush on them. His brown eyes looked like they held all the mysteries of this world, glimmering with curiosity, and Jungkook realized he had been staring at them for too long.

Grabbing the back of the chair beside the other boy, the brunette smiled nervously. “May I?”

His plump lips formed the kindest smile Jungkook had ever seen, “Of course.”

His voice was so unique. Much like a young boy, but sweeter, more melodious. Jungkook was at a loss for words. He felt like he could trade the whole world just to listen that voice call out his name, even if just for once.

Jungkook sat down and opened his notes to study. At least he tried to do so, but was too distracted by the person next to him, who was again lost inside the fictional world of the book opened before him.

Time went by too fast that day. So fast that three long hours didn’t even feel like twenty minutes to Jungkook. The boy, whose identity he came to know last night, finished the book and got up from his chair to put it back in the shelf. Jungkook glanced at the cover, ‘The Old Man and The Sea’, and silently watched the door as Park Jimin exited the library.

After packing all his stuff, Jungkook went to the literature section, and picked up the same book Park Jimin was reading. He issued it from the librarian, and headed home.

Nothing changed in the next two weeks. Jungkook came and sat on his regular table, only to find the one he desired to see seated there. Sometimes Jimin welcomed him with a smile, sometimes he remained too absorbed in his book to notice the other. Jungkook always observed him intently as he pretended to study. And he would always leave the library after Jimin, with the exact book the older read that day in his hand.

Jungkook really liked this whole situation. He liked to watch Jimin. He liked the way Jimin’s expression changed when there was an unexpected turn of events in the story. Sometimes he smiled a little. Sometimes he frowned. One day Jungkook even saw him tear up a bit when he was reading Les Misérables’. Jungkook could have easily gathered more information about Jimin if he wanted to, but he liked it this way. He didn’t know where Jimin lived, what his college major was, about his family background or anything people would generally ask if they wanted to know someone well. But Jungkook did know that the other was into classic literature and liked to re-read the same books over and over again. Jimin wore pastel colored clothing, mostly oversized sweaters and ripped jeans. He had a habit to run his hand through his hair, revealing the beautiful forehead, only to cover it with his black bangs again. These facts weren’t very useful, but Jungkook felt satisfied with only this much. Jungkook kept looking forward to this time of the day, which was the only time he could see Jimin. Luckily he didn’t have any class in the afternoon, and he changed his work schedule to be available from 3pm to 6pm every day. It might have been a little difficult for him, but when he stepped in the library and saw Jimin’s smile, it felt like it was all worth it.

According to the valuable information he got from Taehyung, Jimin and Jungkook went to the same university. They might have been in different years and different faculties, but that didn’t mean they would never see each other in the campus. Unfortunately, they didn’t. And more unfortunately, Jungkook never tried to look. Park Jimin was a mystery, and he liked it that way.

But it’s not like he didn’t want to talk to Jimin. Of course he did, but he had no idea how to. Jungkook was a confident young man. He never really had any issue to initiate a conversation with anyone. But Jimin was an exception, because, Jimin just casually sitting on a chair and being himself made Jungkook breathless. He didn’t want to open his mouth in front of this beautiful person only to blurt out something stupid out of nervousness and embarrass himself.

However, one day, Jeon Jungkook got the opportunity he had never asked for.