Chapter 1

Euphoria

“Wh-what are you doing?” He tried his best to look calm while being pressed against the wooden bookshelf, but his cracked voice gave away the truth that there was, in fact, a hurricane underneath his heart.

“Hyung, ” The taller spoke. He was nervous too. His heart beating fast against his chest, cheeks flushed a deep shade of pink, but his eyes refused to move away from the elder’s brown orbs. “I have to tell you something.”

 

Jeon Jungkook’s gaze travelled swiftly along the shelves. He was running out of time. The essay was due in two days and he still hadn’t found all the reference books he needed. He was just looking around the library helplessly, in the middle area of the second aisle from the left.

“Ah! Found it.” He muttered under his breath. His fingers wrapped around the maroon cover of the heavy book. The brunette pulled it out from the shelf gently, with utmost care, trying not to cause any damage to the book which seemed very fragile from sitting around in an old public library for decades.

Much to Jungkook’s ignorance, a pleasant surprise was waiting for him on the other side of the aisle. As he pulled out the book, he was not ready for what he witnessed afterwards.

A flash of black bangs. A pair of droopy eyes. An eye contact that lasted merely three seconds. An awkward smile.

And then it was gone.

Beautiful. That was the only word Jeon Jungkook could think of.

He didn’t know what was going on inside his own head, but the 21 year old suddenly felt the urge to run to the other side of the aisle and see that person again. Which he did. But the boy wasn’t there anymore.

Jungkook stood there for a few more seconds. Holding on firmly to his newly found book on industrial capitalism, he headed back to his table.

Sadly, the book he had spent days looking for was not being very helpful to Jungkook’s essay. Not that it lacked any necessary information, but he just couldn’t get his mind off the black haired beauty he saw beyond the stack of books earlier.

Jungkook found it very bothersome that his brain decided to betray him by continuously reminding him of a random pretty stranger and not helping him out with his essay about the economy of Europe in 18th century.

After managing to come up with five complete sentences, Jungkook decided to call it a day and headed home.

By home, he meant a small two room apartment which he shared with a guy named Kim Taehyung, who was a year senior than him and went to the same university. Taehyung was an outgoing cheerful male with a bright and positive personality. He was not really the ideal roommate, but he adored Jungkook very much. So the younger often excused many of Taehyung’s questionable behaviors and tried to return the love as much as he could.

Stepping inside, Jungkook felt his roommate wasn’t home. Probably out drinking again. Jungkook sighed. This hyung of his had too many friends for his own good.

The brunette had three classes in a row since morning, meanwhile had to work on his assignment during the little time he could manage between his classes. The poor boy couldn’t even have his lunch because of the tight schedule. Thankfully, it was Tuesday which was his day off work, so he technically had the whole night to work on his assignment. Though it was merely 6 PM in the evening, his entire existence was already too tired to function.

After a warm and refreshing shower, he changed into his plain white shirt and boxers. Then dropped dead on his bed and falling asleep almost immediately.

When the brunette fluttered his eyes open, all he could see was pitch black darkness. Just like many others, Jungkook’s brain too took around fifteen minutes to operate properly right after waking up from a long nap. So, Jungkook was unable to recall who he was or where he was at that moment, until he turned his head and saw Kim Taehyung lying next to him, scrolling through the phone. The bluish light from his phone fell upon Taehyung’s handsome face, glowing beautifully in the dark.

“What time is it?” The younger asked, his voice heavy with sleep.

“2:08 AM.” Taehyung replied.

Jungkook sat up and rubbed his eyes. He slept for longer than he had intended, but he felt way better. His muscles ached for sleeping too long in an odd position. Running his hand through his messy brown hair, he decided to lie around a bit more. He flopped back on his bed and grabbed his phone to open instagram.

He kept scrolling past the familiar faces appearing on his screen. His friends, classmates, relatives, seniors. How people presented themselves on social media was way too perfect to be real. His roommate Kim Taehyung could be used as a fine example. The way he smiled with his friends in his instagram posts made it difficult to tell that this handsome young man was struggling to pay for his education and had to maintain four part time jobs while sharing a two room apartment with a junior student.

Jeon Jungkook was only staring at the screen and scrolling past the photos, not actually looking at any of them. However, the most recent selfie posted by his roommate with a certain someone seemed to catch his attention.

Jungkook’s gaze fixated on the screen. He blinked once, twice. Black hair, droopy eyes, plump lips, a smile so bright which seemed capable of lighting up the whole world. That was him, no doubt about it.

“Hyung,” a word slipped through the brunette’s lips, his voice abnormally calm.

“Hmm?” Taehyung was setting up the pillow preparing to sleep. He had to attend a class at 8. It was already way past his usual bedtime.

“Who’s this guy?” Jungkook turned the screen toward the older, trying to act as uninterested as possible. “I’ve never seen him before.”

“Oh that’s Jimin. Park Jimin from the arts faculty. We have lunch together sometimes.” He replied with a yawn. Despite having his own bed, Taehyung often slept in Jungkook’s room. He really hated being alone. And Jungkook never really seemed to mind.

“I see.” Jungkook sat up and opened his laptop to start working. The blue light fell on his face as he turned it on. The pleased expression spreading on his face was revealed in the dark. Jungkook had no explanation for the reason behind his sudden relief, but he knew for sure that he was feeling much more productive and calm after receiving a certain piece of information from his hyung.

“Goodnight hyung.”

“Mmm. Don’t stay up for too long okay?”

“I won’t.”