Chaper 1

Fighting For...

You stand and watch the scene unfold before your eyes, not wanting to believe what your eyes were witnessing. You watch in a daze, feeling slightly lightheaded from the worry that consumed your entire being. Your ears are being assaulted by the piercing cries and cheers from the rowdy crowd that formed around a ring, which was occupied by two people. The two people were engaged in a fight, one where losing does not just mean a mark on their record. This was a fight that would change the lives of countless people. You felt worried because one of those fighters was someone you deeply cared for; they were basically family. The man that usually stood so tall and sure, now seemed small as he curled into himself in an attempt to protect his body.

“Seungcheol,” you cried out, unable to keep it in as he took another blow against his head and stumbled backwards, now pinned between the chainlink and his opponent. His opponent is relentless, striking him with punch after punch.

In a form of defense he brings his arms toward his face as a shield. This only caused his opponent to change his direction of assault as he began to aim for his abdomen.

His defense begins to waiver as one arm lowers in attempt to deflect the oncoming assault. His opponent uses this opportunity to strike him once more in the head, this time knocking him to the ground. The opposition then wrapped his arms around Seungcheol neck bringing him into a hold. Seungcheol struggles against his opponents arms. Trying to ceases Seungcheol’s attempt at escape, the opponent only tightened his hold.

At that moment a countdown erupts from the crowd mixed with the worries of those around you.

10…9…8….

“No,There was so much at stake”

7…6…5….

“We’ll be reduced to nothing.”

4…3…2….

“Come on Seungcheol!”

1

The challenger becomes the victor as his opponent untangles his arms from Seungcheol’s neck, raising his fist up in victory.

Seungcheol slumps to the ground, defeated. You couldn’t help but watch as some of your members rush to his aid. You saw Mingyu and Wonwoo pulling him off the the ground, guiding him to the corner of the ring. Jeonghan appeared at his friends side,  pulling out gauze and bandages attempting to patch their fighter up.

You turn to look toward the balcony, searching for the man that you all worked for. Your boss sat in his chair staring firmly at the scene in front of him. It was hard to gage his reaction, his stone hard stare trained to not reveal how he felt during these situations.

You start making your way to seungcheol as well, but before you could get too far you felt a hand grasp your arm and a gentle voice say, “Come on, y/n. Let’s get this negotiation over with.” You turned your eyes away from the ring and to the man that stood behind you, meeting his soft brown eyes. You sigh, knowing there was nothing you could do that would help Seungcheol at this moment, “Your right. Sorry, Joshua.” You look down not really knowing what to say, “…..It’s just..” You stop and sigh, as Joshua replied, “I know.” You follow Joshua’s lead, ready to begin the negotiation with your partner.

————

The bustling noises of the crowd fade out as you headed toward the designated lounge. You walked passed a threshold through two large doors, held open by two men. You were greeted with soft lighting and a rather simple and cozy interior, contrary to the fighting arena that was just outside. Their in the middle of the room sat a large wooden table with black leather couches at each head of the table.

“Ah y/n, come in take a seat.” a practiced voice came from the mini bar that outlined the corner of the room farthest from you. Your reply was quick, it had to be in this type of business, “Thank you Mister Gong, but I would like to finish this negotiation as soon as possible.”

You never had to negotiate with a mafia leader before. Usually each syndicate sent representatives like yourself and Joshua. What made matters worse was that you knew of the bloody history that existed between your boss and the leader in front of you. This made you extremely cautious as you made your way to the center table while Joshua stayed near the door. You watched the man as he left his seat at the bar and approached the couch with one hand rested in his pocket and the other carrying a freshly poured glass of liquor. He took a seat directly in the middle of the couch opposite of you. He didn’t speak yet as he crossed his legs and leaned back, putting his elbows up on the backside of the couch. He smiled and held the glass up in your direction before he took slow sip, releasing a sigh like it was the best drink he had ever tasted.“You know,” he started, “Ever since Dongseok took over as head, you guys have been spiralling down hill.”

You stayed silent as he continued, “It’s funny too, since it was your own syndicate that conjured up this whole arrangement between each and every syndicate .”

You began to feel your muscles tighten in anger as he continued to belittle an individual that you held in such high regards. He taunted with  a laugh, “I believe it was to limit the bloodshed between each other right?”

“That is correct,” you replied simply trying to control your emotions.

“Yet from the looks of it, your fighter bled enough to make up for all these years of…..”

You forcefully push the papers on the table in his direction to stop his slander against your syndicate.

He seemed to sense your agitation as he just continued smugly, “Ah, so this is the territory we acquired. Looks like you are cornered now.”He looks over the district maps signing the necessary paperwork.

He then looks up with a smirk,“Soon it won’t be just territory on the line.”

“What do you mean?” you ask.

You go to reach the paperwork but as you do he reaches for your hand “Out of all your syndicates promising members. You Intrigue me the most by far. I would just love to have you under our syndicate.”

At that moment, acting like a your guardian, Joshua was by your side in an instant reaching for his handgun tucked under his coat.

To prevent the situation from spiraling out of control you quickly place a hand on Joshua, trying to ease his concern. You pull your hand out from Mister Gong’s grasp adjusting it into a hand shake, ready to end this negotiation.“It was pleasure doing business with you, Mister Gong.” you said briefly, as you turned and headed for the double doors with Joshua by your side.

“Likewise.” his eyes following your figure out the door.

———

You headed in the direction for the car, more than ready to leave. Joshua opens the passenger door  for you and quickly heads to the driver side. It is quite for a moment as he starts the engine. You couldn’t really shake the feeling of dread for what might come in the future, but you will take on whatever comes, one step at a time. “Let’s go back home.” Joshua says pulling you from your thoughts. “Yeah,” you reply, “Let’s go check on Seungcheol.”