Fools

Fools

Lei was sitting on the couch as tears were running down her cheeks. She had a fight with her boyfriend and the only thing she could think of was calling her best friend. That’s how she ended up in Hyunggu’s apartment. He was pouring her a glass of water to help her calm down.

Here —he said giving her the glass and sitting by her side — try to breathe.

Lei wanted to stop crying. She wanted to be able to tell him everything without her voice cracking, but she couldn’t trust herself. Hyunggu was just by her side, seeing her like this hurt him so bad. Not only he cared for her as a friend, but now he had also acknowledged the fact that he was indeed in love with her.

I…— she finally spoke, almost under her breath — I had a huge fight with Wooseok — she admitted trying to stop the tears from falling.

Wooseok was Lei’s boyfriend and also a good friend from both. Hyunggu could feel the anger building up inside him. He was sure he would never make Lei cry if he was with her, but he couldn’t say anything. He wouldn’t do that to their friends.

What happened? — He sighed — What was it this time?

He…— she shook her head — I thought he was seeing someone else and I confronted him about it.

Hyunggu could just stare at her and feel regretful. He should have never played cupid with his friends, but how could he know he would develop feelings for Lei, after being friends for so long.

…And he said that if I was saying that it was obviously because I had something to hide — she started crying again and Hyunggu couldn’t help but hug her. She started crying on his shoulder.

I can’t believe he dared say that — he said while caressing her hair — Don’t worry Lei, give him time, he’ll come around.

I don’t know Kino. He was really upset this time — she wiped her tears while looking at him. She was hesitant to tell him what else had occurred during the fight with Wooseok. Hyunggu could sense she was scared of something. Immediately the worst scenario popped up in his head.

What are you not telling me? — he questioned. — Did he hit you? — he said trying to find a bruise or something.

No! God no! — Lei said moving a little — He…— she gulped — he said that — she lowered her sight — he said that he hated how close we were and that I was stupid enough to not notice you loved me.

On that moment Hyunggu felt his whole world was crumbling down. All the walls he had built up, he knew they wouldn’t last long, but didn´t expect them to come down so soon. He really didn´t know how to react, he had never thought things would come to this. He had planned keeping quiet until this crush of his would die out in time.

I mean — seeing his shocked face she continued — I know you love me, like I love you, as a friend — she said with a light smile on her face while meeting his eyes.

Do you really? — he sighed — Lei — he gathered up all the courage he could — I do love you, but not as you think. So many times, I’ve wished I was Wooseok. I wish I could be by your side every day, I wish I could make you happy like he does. But I know I can’t, I know I am not him and never will be. It was just me being a fool thinking that I could have any chance with you. I mean I am only your best friend — he laughed bitterly.

Lei was just shocked, a confession from Hyunggu was the last thing she was expecting. She looked him in the eyes and could see his sadness. She could see how long he had been keeping those feelings inside and it hurt her. It hurt her thinking her best friend had to hide his feelings and just be there for her.

Hyunggu felt somewhat relieved but seeing her have no reaction definitely crashed him. He knew he couldn’t ask for more, but he still wanted it.

S..sorry Hyunggu — she said cutting the silence between the two —

Don’t be — he cupped her face between his hands — I am the one who’s sorry — he leaned in and softly pressed his lips onto hers.