Chapter 3

Hogwarts Memories

The following day at breakfast the hall was humming as the prefects sat at their usual places at the tables munching on their food. At the Hufflepuff table Janina and Gabi chattered away while Insoo gazed longingly over at the Ravenclaw table or more accurately at the Ravenclaw prefect that was busy munching on dragon fruit and a green juice while her oatmeal cooled at her elbow. She was seated facing him so they could exchange looks across the aisle.

 

Janina was about to pop a grape into but stopped, “Insoo, Either go over and sit with Emmy and send Youngjae over,” She shot a mischievous look Gabi’s way, “or stop making eyes at my sister.”

 

Insoo chuckled, “ah little Nina, jealousy is unbecoming on you my dear. Why not just sleep in like Sunwoo if you were going to react this way?” He paused for dramatic effect and noticed that her face had gone red. He gave a smug smile and left.

 

Gabi nearly choked on her morning tea, “too bad he never gets up before everyone or you could do some flirting before you have to be on watchdog duty.” Her expression darkened as Insoo made a fuss over announcing that Gabi wanted to see Youngjae, “you didn’t have to bring me into it though.”

 

Janina put on her girliest voice, “Yoo hoo, over here.” The two watched as Youngjae levitated his bowl of Weetabix over to the table and set it down before coming over clutching the black and grey chimera cat that was usually his companion at meal times. “Good morning, how nice of you to perch with us for a while.”

 

“I knew you’d just keep badgering me if I didn’t come over so here I am. What do you want?” The house animal puns were an old thing with these three from the first time they met each other on the Hogwarts express.

 

“Well we thought about who we could trust to give us information. Ravenclaw is the only logical choice,” Gabi was about to deliver her masterstroke, “we can’t trust a snake and we want good Intel; not whatever’s been Lion around.” She smiled up at him warmly, “tell us what you know and we’ll do the same.”

 

He puffed up his chest and sat down next to her. “your mind never fails to amaze me, Bestie. You would have been a great asset to Ravenclaw.” He poured the milk over his cereal and drew them in close, “I’ve heard that the Slytherin chaser, Rodney Latterson may have information on the incident.” He was very close to the two Hufflepuff girls. He could smell the cloying scent of the soap Gabi used. “He may be being questioned about the incident as we speak. I will tell you more as I find it out.” He popped a spoon of cereal into his mouth as if that was that.

 

~(*)~

 

Insoo plopped his plate laden with food down next to Emmy before sitting down himself, “your sister has a crush on the other Huffelpuff prefect.” He looked over at her, “isn’t that fitting? Both of you can have one. How are you today my friend?” He stole a piece of fruit from her plate and popped it in his mouth before giving her a cheeky grin.

 

Emmy looked at him incredulously, “you know those are my favorite. You’re lucky I like you, my friend, or I might just hit you with a jellylegs jinx.” She returned his cheeky smile while snagging another piece of fruit from his plate. “you had one anyway. Why steal mine?”

 

Insoo shrugged, “your food tastes better.” He marveled how cute she was, “and I know you wont hit me with any jinx because then you’d have to carry me to the hospital wing and I know you don’t want anyone to see you carrying me anywhere. I know this because we’re friends.”

 

“I’d get Aly to stop the rumors before they started. She’s very persuasive when she wants to be.” She was referring to the month and a half before he’d gotten to know her best friend when he had been convinced that she could read minds and bend them to her will.

 

“Shh, she’s harmless, I’d be more afraid of that teeny tiny owl that’s always flitting around” He was referring to the first couple days at Hogwarts when everyone was convinced that Sam naming her owl Helena was an insult to Ravenclaw.

 

Aly’s lips curled into a cat like grin around her cream cheese and smoked salmon bagle, “honest mistake, its Sam’s fault for not correcting herself but even I know to fear Helena and her tiny feathery fury. Plus, Sam would kill you if you upset her baby.” She looked around to check if anyone was around to hear her, “Helena protection squad.” She put her hand on the table.

 

Emmy covered her friend’s hand with her own, “fastest among her kind. Long may she reign.” She turned her head towards the entrance to the great hall as Sam trudged in with said owl on her shoulder underneath the curtain of her hair.

 

“Someone didn’t sleep last night.” Insoo said, noticing, even at a distance, the droop of her eyelids and the tired way she walked to her seat at one of the middle tables.

 

“She had to keep watch over her common room to make sure no students snuck out during the night. Gryffindors are notorious for that.” Himchan paused to sip his steaming mug of coffee, “I heard the Gryffindor prefects are rotating staying up nights.” The words from Yongguk were implied but no longer necessary as the two told each other everything.

 

~(*)~

 

Sam dragged herself into the great hall aware that she looked like how she felt. Helena nibbled her ear impatiently; she was urging her on so that she didn’t go to sleep in the middle of the aisle. She sat down and groaned into her plate, “Coffee, milk and honey.” The house elves knew how she liked it because a few seconds after she’d placed her order it arrived sweet and warm and a soft brown color. She took a sip and was aware that she was wearing pajamas under her robes. She reached out her hand and tucked a crisp to Helena. “Thanks for staying up with me sweet girl.”

 

Katelyn came and sat next to her with her international sampler plate and emptied a gray liquid into her mug. She fixed her with a look that said, “Drink it.” She waited till the mug had been drained down her friend’s throat, “Are you going to order or shall I do it for you.”

 

Sam slightly opened her robe to show Katelyn the situation, “I’m gonna do a quick clothing transfer spell do you think you can keep the guys away while I’m under my robe?” She smiled sheepishly, “Thanks for the wideeye potion by the way.” She produced her wand. an eleven inch Dogwood with a design of stars at the base and an unicorn tail hair intertwined with veela hair core.

 

Katelyn turned around and met the twins who were approaching swiftly, “hey guys, Sam’s taking a little longer to wake up this morning. We might need to brew a new batch of the potion; it seems to be getting a bit old.” She couldn’t believe that Sam was doing this out in the open.

 

Yongguk’s eyes turned into small half moons as the smile split his face like a Halloween lantern, he was all too familiar with Sam’s antics. “She wearing pajamas again? That little exhibitionist.” He shook his head like he couldn’t believe it even though she’d done things like this before.

 

“Not,” came an energized voice, “anymore.” Sam stood next to Katelyn in full uniform and a skirt no less. She looked down at her outfit, “always a surprise. I was thinking of long pants but I guess this is what I’m wearing today.”

 

Yongnam facepalmed, “she’s hyper. How is she a prefect again?” he had to dodge Katelyn’s hands that flew to stop his words. He turned to Katelyn, “Maybe we need a new potion brewer?”

 

“Sam just needs to eat something,” Katelyn clenched her fists. She was the one who came up with the idea to use the potion. She didn’t expect it to affect Sam this way.

 

Sam touched his shoulder, “stop talking. My amusing periods of hyperactivity are nothing compared to your walk of the living dead before your potion in the morning.” She turned him to face Katelyn, “apologize to her or she might poison you.”

 

Yongguk was still smiling, “Where are the Slytherins?” They were late again not that he minded but Jessica and Sam would usually have a chat and teasing her and the other Slytherin prefects usually got rid of her giggles rather quickly

 

~(*)~

 

“I’m telling you, it was a heart,” Daewon told Jessi, “not that I’m complaining or anything; quite the opposite, everyone wants Moon and you to be a thing but the fact remains that you two had a big mushy heart of birds flying around your heads. I have fifty or more people who’d back me up so stop denying it.” He led the way into the great hall to find everyone watching them.