Chapter 2

Hogwarts Memories

After watching the small ones study until dinner time after relieving Yongnam, the other male Gryffindor prefect, in the castle study chamber Jess sat with her school bag at her feet on the sofa in front of the common room fire with her wand out and a spell book open on her lap. “Accio Prefect’s badge,” She muttered pointing the tip of her ten-inch Maplewood and unicorn hair wand at her bag and catching the object easily when it emerged. She was used to having others give her a wide birth when she practiced magic in the common room; not that she was a poor practitioner of spells but sometimes her aim wasn’t the best. During one evening in her first year she had pushed a second year boy up the stairs to the girls dormitory and he slid down prompting the rest of the boys wanting to try it. Professor Slughorn had to be called and she was banned from practicing for a month. She still couldn’t cast a proper Flipendo jinx without those around her snickering at the memory.

 

The large amount of food that she had eaten at dinner was making her sleepy but she couldn’t help it, the food at school just tasted so much better than any other food she’d ever tasted. Maybe it was true what they said about hunger being the best spice or maybe it was the excitement of learning such wonderful material that made everything about the school so amazing.

 

Whatever it was Jessica’s eyelids were growing heavy as she looked down at her charms book. She tapped the broken badge in her hand while thinking, “reparo,” and imagining the perfectly functional outcome she wanted. Noverball spells were normally Gabi and Katelyn’s specialties but this time it seemed that she’d properly executed one. She fastened it on her robes with a self-satisfied expression and then turned her full attention to her charms work.

 

While she was busy practicing sending little green and grey birds from the end of her wand with the Avis Charm there was someone watching her. The captain of the quidditch team wandered in after bidding his friends goodnight then stood leaning against a pillar watching the prefect that had fascinated him ever since first year. There rose a murmur of whispers as the other students talked among themselves everyone noticing or pointing it out to the underclassmen who were too dim to notice, “look, Captain Moon Is watching Prefect Stone again.” Everyone was rooting for the couple that was always on the cusp of happening.

 

Jongup looked at her and was taken back to the first time he’d ever seen her. She was just a regular eleven year old with an eager wide-eyed expression on her face but to him something about her that had caught him and refused to let go. She had sat on that stool for a minute when the hat had announced her as a Slytherin and she had beamed so bright it was like a supernova right there in the middle of the room. She was the second student sorted into Slytherin that night and she didn’t seem to mind the murmurs that accompanied the applause as she skipped toward the table. She was greeted by many of the other Slytherin students and was welcomed into the house like she had always been meant to be there. He was happy just to be near her. Through the years he’d watched her get into mischief. go through hardships, Triumph and become the first rate witch she was today all from the background. He knew he liked her and hoped she liked him but had only had the courage to talk to her a few times. That changed now.

 

Walking over he stopped just before the edge of the couch, “may I join you?” That was all he said before she nodded imperceptibly and he sank down next to her on the sofa. He looked up at the birds watching the two expectantly, “the avis charm?” Again she nodded, “they’re really good. Mine always come out black.” He waved his wand, Ironwood and gumiho fur, to send a single black bird soaring out of the tip before alighting on the mantle to watch the two humans. He shook his head sheepishly, “Id meant to fly it around the room.”

 

Jessi giggled, smiling, “aww, you just need more practice. Mine didn’t listen to me at first either. I’m sure if you practice they’ll be perfectly well behaved in no time.” She grinned, “I can help if you want.” She hadn’t noticed how lonely it had been practicing alone.

 

Jongup hung his head after about an hour of practicing. His birds were getting more well behaved each time he cast them they still needed to be a bit smaller but he needed a break. “I remember the sorting ceremony,” he said offhandedly catching her off guard, “You were smiling so bright it was like someone had cast lumos maxima right there in the hall.”

 

She grinned remembering that night herself, “thanks. I was so happy to be studying magic. Mom and Dad were so happy that I had been accepted but I was still nervous. When I had been sorted I was so relieved that I was placed in the school. An older acquaintance had spent the summer telling us that the sorting hat sometimes banishes students.”

 

Jongup’s eyes got big, “Who told you that?” They had read Hogwarts a History during their first year and knew better now. The sorting hat would never banish a student.

 

“Someone who graduated a few years ago.” Jess could remember the pretty face that hid the awful personality of Sam’s sister. “Y’know I’ve always thought you were really talented on the Quidditch pitch.” She changed the subject.

 

Color rose to Jongup’s cheeks, “Really? Thanks. I owe it all to my teammates.” He scooted closer to her getting into the conversation. “I really enjoy watching you and your friends during lessons,” he wished he could take it back as soon as it was out of his mouth. He had basically just told a prefect that he wasn’t paying attention in class.

 

Jessica shot him a smug smile, “I always thought you were distracted in class.” She dissolved into giggles, “I’m only kidding. You do very well in class; truly a credit to the house of Slytherin and Quidditch players everywhere.” She leaned in, a concerned expression on her face, “sorry, my sense of humor is a bit much for some people. My friends are rather impressive though so I’m sure they’ll love hearing that they have a fan.” Jongup’s terrified expression told she’d gone too far, “kidding again. You and your friends are an impressive bunch as well. How many prefects and other notable students do you have in your group again?” It was a rhetorical question but it was also good cover since Jessi didn’t want him knowing she was watching too. She gave an amiable smile, “its like a walking slug-club.”

 

Jongup returned her smile and chuckled, “you know I was gonna say something similar to you. You guys saved the school and that Gryffindor girl by being her friend. I don’t know if my group would have done that if it were one of us in that position.” He was enjoying talking to her; it wasn’t everyday you met a hero.

 

Jessica blushed at the compliment, “it wasn’t really anything special, we did what anyone would. I’m sure your friends would do it for anyone who needed it.”

 

Jongup still didn’t fully understand, “A lot of details were kept from the students. Do you feel like you can share the story now?”

 

Jessica nodded and scooted closer to him, they were practically touching knees, so that she could share the private story with only him, “Well you know that the girl’s name was Annabelle. She was feeling pressure from her family and so thought she had to study by herself all the time. Well apparently she was a powerful witch but didn’t realize it because she was always studying. Her power needed an outlet, it wanted to have fun basically, but she didn’t notice this because of the pressure she was under. Things started to go wrong with her health and around the school. The muggle defense barrier went down completely for a bit and Annabelle was hospitalized at the same time. Sam and Katelyn got really worried about her at that time so we would go and talk to her and work with her on school work but her power was too great at that time so she was still sick and the school was still having problems. Just before the last day Madame Pomfrey told us she had a theory about what was happening and asked us if we were willing to serve as receptacles for part of her magic. We all agreed so we spent the night in the hospital wing and Madame Pomfrey and her helpers worked through the night and order was restored.” Her face fell at the last part of her tale, “The reason Annabelle doesn’t go here anymore is that while Madame Pomfrey was dividing her magic Anna asked her to cut it all away so that she could go back with her family because her family hadn’t been able to move overseas and she missed them. She was allowed to leave as a muggle and Hogwarts was back to its former state. We lost a friend but it’s what she wanted so we’re happy for her.” She looked like she was about to cry, “She’s kept in touch though and it’s still difficult to talk about it.”

 

Jongup hugged her instinctively; He understood the possible consequences if this were made public. The ministry involvement was something that no one wanted. He pulled her close and whispered, “I’ll keep your secret don’t worry.” He wanted to comfort her more but the sound of growling broke his concentration.

 

Jessi broke free from the hug in full prefect mode, “Hopkirk, What do you think you’re doing accosting those cats?” she picked one up and started it to calm it down.

 

A first year boy, Melvin Hopkirk, turned white as a sheet, “I was trying to feed them a bird that I caught and they growled at me.”

 

Jessi rounded on him as the cat purred defensively in her arms, “Hogwarts cats do not eat birds like some barn or stable dweller. Hogwarts is a castle. The cats here are princes and princesses. As to the bird, let the poor animal go."