The New Recruit

RE:INCARNATION

     Under the rain in the shade of a white umbrella, she was nailed in front of the building. Doing a double check on her appearance, brushing away dust from her shoulder and pulling her brown pleated skirt to make sure it fell graciously. The goal she had on this day was to make a good first impression. A perfect one, even. It was already a miracle for her to be accepted for a job in the first place. She wanted to show her boss how grateful she was to be working since she was no more than a graduate, similar to a rookie in training. She only had to pass an interview on the phone, too!

     "Okay, let's go!" She pumped a fist to the air and marched right towards the threshold, carrying a hopeful heart and lots and lots of newly bought stationery. Shaking off water from the umbrella before closing it, she proceeded to enter through the glass door to find herself in a hallway of which the floor have been covered with carpet. The smell of perfume and sweat mixed in the air, perfume of those who were about to work in the office and sweat of the police officers that were coming back from duty. It was a new smell. She liked to remember smells since every place, every scenery had their own unique smell.

     "Now to find Mrs. Lee." Right when she mumbled to herself, a woman who was wrapped in a police officer's uniform walked pass her with a bunch of papers. Assuming she was a police woman, she gathered herself and called after her. "Excuse me, ma'am." She quickly put on a smile before the police woman turned around to face her. "Do you know where Mrs. Lee's office is?"

     The police woman smiled apologetically, "I'm sorry but the chief does not accept strangers unless they have an appointment." She explained, "And lately she hasn't been accepting anyone into her office since her last secretary took a maternity leave."

     "Ah! I am replacing her, ma'am." She grinned excitedly, "It's my first day."

     The police woman chuckled at her youthful energy and smiled even wider, "In that case, please follow me."

     "Kamsahamnida, Jung-nim." She bowed deeply in gratitude after being guided to the front of the door with a plaque that said 'Chief Lee' on it.

     "Eyy, what's with the formality? Just call me Ara-onnie." The police woman said, chuckling with delight. "Well, just knock on the door. If she doesn't answer, she's probably just drunk or too tired. When that happens just open the door, okay?"

     The girl nodded firmly and smiled as she watched the police woman strolled away. She turned around and heaved a sigh before knocking on the wooden door gently with her knuckles. She waited for an answer or for the door to be opened by the chief. But nothing happened, so she tried to knock again. A few seconds later, the doorknob clicked to an open. And she was greeted by the woman on the other side of the door. She was quite tall and her body posture suggested the form of an ideal woman. She wasn't as intimidating as the girl imagined she would be when she heard her voice through the phone. And when she saw her new boss smile, it felt like she was looking at a model.

     "You must be Park Jiyeon, yes?" The lady greeted. The said girl smiled and nodded her head eagerly.

     "Nice to finally meet you, Mrs. Lee." She bowed ninety degrees, full of energy and excitement.

     "Well, I'm glad to see you all excited. But..." She patted the new recruit's shoulder, urging her to get up. "You don't need to be all formal with me. I practice closeness with the person who is going to organize my schedules and documents." A smile spreaded across the chief's face, "Because she's going to be doing a lot of work." Her friendly smile turned into an apologetic one as she moved to reveal the interior of her office.

     Jiyeon had to surpress a gasp, her office was nothing short of what she had expected it to be. Documents were cluttered everywhere, it's like a sea of white...only not so pleasant. She looked at Hyori with a forced smile, "D-don't worry, ma'am. I'll work hard."

     "Don't fake a smile, I know it's a lot of work for you. Don't you hate that?"

     "I..." She thought over about how she should answer, "No, no. It's okay. I'm used to it."

     The chief smiled at her and shook her head. "It's okay to hate doing something, you know." She explained, "Next time, just tell me if you dislike something. Straightforwardly. Promise?"

     She bit her lip and nodded again, causing the woman in front of her to laugh in amusement.

     "I like you, Jiyeon. You're so cheery."

     "But I can be mean. If Mrs. Lee wasn't my boss, I would turn into a ranting machine just because of this mess." The girl smiled widely, granting another laugh for her boss.

     "That's more like it. Just drop the 'Mrs' and call me 'onnie' or 'chief'. Come in, then." The oldest of the two women walked back inside to make way for the new recruit. Jiyeon stepped in modestly, carrying the tote that was filled with her necessities over her shoulder.

     "Excuse me." She mumbled, looking around the office for a better view of her surroundings. The office was separated into two smaller rooms by a glass partition. There was a desk in each room, she noticed. One which was bigger and cluttered with all kinds of objects and a bunch of paper located on the farther side of the room, while the other one was relatively smaller but clearly it had no owner since it was empty. She was glad the chief was nice enough to spare the poor table, and was excited with the prospect of being the new owner to a new desk.

     "Well, as you can see. That is your desk." The chief said, "Obviously, you'll be working there. Accepting guests and taking calls to be redirected to me. And uh..." The forty-two year old placed a finger on her chin, "You brought a laptop right?"

     "Yes."

     "Good. We're kind of short on money to supply for a desktop, but I hope you can manage until we can get one for you."

     "Don't worry, I don't need a desktop, I trust my laptop too much." She smiled.

     "Well, if you say so." The woman sighed, glad that she didn't have to deal with an obnoxious secretary like the last one who got impregnated in the police department's janitor closet. She remembered how the woman would always plead to work with a desktop and wondered how she even managed to practice any kind of closeness with that crazy woman. "You can start working now. I expect good things from you."

     Jiyeon nodded as her boss walked over to her own desk. She hummed to herself right after she noticed the chief sitting down and walked over to her own desk, placing the things that was in her tote bag neatly. "Done." She flipped the agenda which was placed right in the middle of her desk and drew a check list on one of the points under the 'To-Do List' title. She giggled to herself and proceeded to start cleaning up after the office.


Yay! Two chapters in two days! I wanted to do this so badly since I figured I need to give you—yes you, you!—some kind of reward for subscribing to my first fanfic and being able to wait patiently for updates because I have school *cries* I hope you like these two new chapters (personally, I think I need to fix on the third chapter. What do you think?) And I'm so excited to be writing about Jiyeon! xD