I just want your attention...

If we're old and still single, let's marry each other, deal?

"Toink." Followed by a poke. "Toink, toink, toink... dudududududu... Daiki... Princess!" More pokes. Poke. Poke.

Pooookeeeeee-

"Hyun, stop." Chaeyoung finally turned to the distraction seated beside her, ceaselessly stabbing her cheek with the older girl's finger. "I said stop!" She exclaimed, grabbing hold of the guilty hand. She gave Dahyun her best glare to show her annoyance- not that it had much of an effect as Dahyun easily brushed it off, her own glare coming into play, accompanied by a pout Chaeyoung found her knees weakening against.

"But you're not paying attention to me."

Ugh.

"And you promised you'd finish right away so we could go for some icecream!" Dahyun recited like an excited child, rocking on her bottom in her place beside Chaeyoung as they shared the long couch of their shared dorm.

The cub sighed as her face fell into one of the pillows beside her, one of so many project guideline papers under her cheek.

Ugh. Again. Why am I so compliant when it comes to her? This paper is worth a big chunk of my grade and I can't just leave it in favor of my favorite icecream with my favorite person in the world-!

She knew she couldn't fight it, doing a quick 'ctrl+s'on her laptop before closing the device and standing up. "Just let me save this and grab my wallet, okay?

I'm screwed.

"Yay! I love you so much!" Dahyun cheered, jumping up and pressing a kiss against the younger's dimpled cheek, not knowing the effect she held over her best friend.

I am... not... quite as screwed.

...

"You're so screwed, bud." Tzuyu snickered from her position in her bed, playing a dog game on her phone as Chaeyoung went to look for her desired money holder. The youngest knew of the impending deadline of her chingu's report that was looming overhead, a mere two days away. It was Saturday, the weekend, and she knew Chaeyoung planned on cramming all the work she could into it. She laughed at her demise like the best friend that she is.

"You're screwed,Chaengie." Sana and Momo said in unison, like the twins that they are (not), while Mina just laughed, the J-line laying on their stomach's in the maknae's room, watching a show Tzuyu had lent the eldest of the trio. At least Mina didn't say a word-

"She is screwed, isn't she?"

"Minari! You always take my side!"

"Says who?" Momo stuck out her tongue at Chaeng before kissing Mina's temple, proud of her girl. She still held the tiniest bit of jealousy from the fact that Mina used to crush on Chaeyoung and the feeling was mutual. Just a bit. This was her tiny victory. (She loved Chaeyoung though, honest. She was just jealous.)

She reached for her jacket... and Dahyun's that the girl had left.... Chaeyoung sighed. What a babyish unnie. It was getting colder outside so why the hell were they even getting icecream? She was regretting this decision at nine forty-six pm as she walked down the hallway, bumping into her no-jam bro who gave her a once over, shrugged, and said, "You're screwed, kid."

Jihyo, who was beside her, nodded and patted her head. "So screwed, kid."

Nayeon had a bag of chips in her hands and was obviously heading for the youngests' shared room to join the movie viewing. She stopped in front of Chaeyoung, grinned and kissed her forehead in a sign of good luck. Chaeyoung was so happy for this affectionate support-

"You are so screwed for her, baby." 

Chaeyoung groaned.

She was obviously screwed.


"Chaeyoung, do you want marshmallows?"

"Chaeyoung did you want the little strawberry bits?"

"Chaeyoung look! Sprinkles!"

"Chaeng, they let you decorate your own cone wrapper!"

"Chaeyoung!"

"Chaeng!"

"Chae!"

"Chaeyoung-!"

"Yes. What is it this time, Dahyun?"

Chaeyoung instantly regretted her tone, flinching at the sight of the older girl shrinking- being swallowed into the parlor booth's leather seats. She knew she shouldn't have been so harsh. She had found it cute at first, Dahyun's constant calling for her. But her phone dinged with reminders of her project deadlines, and she remembered her unfinished paper due on Monday, and a few sketching tasks she was supposed to submit by the end of the next week that she hadn't even started on. She got pressured.

Somehow, the adorable questions turned annoying, and Chaeyoung, not quite one to be patient- no offense- had her patience wearing paper thin and Dahyun, who was only happy to be with her, was now at the receiving end of her stressful self.

"I'm sorry..."

The quiet whisper broke her heart as she leaned over the booth, trying to reach out to touch Dahyun's cheek, only to whimper as the girl shied away from her fingers.

"Please, don't be. I'm the one who should apologize. I snapped at you and you didn't deserve that." Chaeyoung spilled a happy tear as Dahyun leaned into the lingering hand in the air, her cheek now cupped in Chaeyoung's hand as her eyes looked up at Chaeyoung in a penitent kind of way.

Her next question only made Chaeyoung all the more guilty. "I'm sorry. It's just that, as you said: you've been so busy with all your projects that... I missed you. Was I annoying you?"

Truthfully, yes. Sorta. It wasn't entirely Dahyun's fault, but the built up stress Chaeyoung was enduring, plus the girl being her excitable self (which had Chaeyoung happy and relieved that she was slowly getting back to her bubbly nature), Chaeyoung was just tired. That was all. But Dahyun saying she missed her really warmed Chaeyoung's heart to the point that she could kiss her. Not that she would, of course. (Though Dahyun certainly wouldn't mind.)

"No." Chaeyoung sighed with a fond smile, all her exhaustion washed away in that sigh as Dahyun kissed the inside of the hand that held her face so gently. "You could never annoy me." Dahyun was about to coo. "-Unless you were taking away my brushes and scribbling over my important canvasses."

"But you said paint would cover it up after!"

"The extra stuff distracts me!"

Dahyun huffed. So much for being a sweet Chaeyoung.

"Hey." It was Chaeyoung's turn to poke Dahyun multiple times. "Hey. Dubs. Hey, Dubu-unnie. You~"

Eventually Dahyun had to give in, giggling as she caught Chaeyoung's hand in hers and intertwined their fingers subconciously. It happened so naturally, and they fit together so well.

A sip of their drinks later, and Dahyun felt the need to ask again, this time on a more serious note. Not that she wasn't serious before.

"Be honest, Chae. Am I annoying you lately?" She asked again. And Chaeyoung could see that even if the older girl wanted the truth, she was bracing herself to be hurt if ever Chaeyoung did say that she was, in fact, pushing the younger's buttons.

"Only because I've been a little tired, okay? Otherwise, I love seeing you happy."

"So me being annoying equates to happy?"

"I'd say peppy, rather than annoying. Can we stop using the word annoying? It's getting annoying."

At that, the pair burst into laughter, leftover icecream melting in their cups.

Even if things did get annoying, they'd never get old.

The feelings Chaeyoung's heart had for Dahyun guaranteed it.


They were walking home at near-midnight, chatting up on any and all topics, from why pineapples had spiky hair while all the other fruits were bald- or so Dahyun claims. Their hands were still glued together, no signs of letting go any time soon.

"I mean, if I had to choose between ugly spiky hair- wait, if you think about it, it looks like Goku. That's cool. Still, I'd choose to be bald. You coud choose a good style of wig to cover up at least." Dahyun weighed her two options before deciding through her ridiculous logic as Chaeyoung laughed beside her.

"And if you don't have any money for a wig?"

"Dance for it, duh. Street earning. I could play on those pianos left on the streets and leave a cap to earn some cash, y'know? Maybe I'd even get famous!" Chaeyoung wouldn't have doubted Dahyun's ability to make that plan come into fruition. Her piano skills were definitely no joke. Her fingers were magical! Except when she had to use them for massage.

Chaeyoung was never gonna allow that to happen again. She almost dislocated a bone for crying out loud!

Speaking of said fingers, Chaeyoung felt a zap of electricity run up her arm as Dahyun squeezed at her hand, reminding her that they hadn't really let go of each other for a good few hours now. It was getting late, and getting cold. Dahyun's hands were chilled and Chaeyoung found herself running her thumb along the exposed skin to help warm the girl.

Things like this always came so naturally, she realized. Hugs and hand-holding. Jokes, serious and stupid talks, sometimes kisses, snuggling and cuddling with each other and bickering that bestfriends did.

Bestfriends... was that really...?

Chaeyoung found herself sighing at her discouraged thoughts. Despite the talk she had with Tzuyu and the hints she thought she was getting from Dahyun, she was afraid. She just couldn't be too sure that what she was feeling were actually advances and not just friendly gestures. After all, they had always been the clingy type of friends. Right?

She was pulled out of her thoughts by a sudden weight on her side. Dahyun was now latched on fully to her arm and leaning into her, spreading a faint blush across Chaeyoung's cheeks.

"Hyun?"

"It's cold and I'm tired. Help me walk?" The older girl looked at her with such sparkling eyes that the artist was compelled to consent and tightened her own hold on Dahyun, head daring to lean against the oher's.

It was a quiet walk home from then onward.


It was to be expected that once they set foot inside their dorm, they would be bombarded. Whether it was with questions or teasings or whatever else, Chaeyoung thought she was mentally prepared for the Unnie's prying.

Apparently she wasn't.

"Sooooooo.... how was your little... ehem.. date?" Jeongyeon started off with the stupidest grin that could put even Momo's pabo grin to shame. (The difference was that it made Momo look cute.)

Chaeyoung internally groaned as she set her and her partner's shoes to the side of the entrance, neatly along with the othere pairs already lines up. From the corner of her eye, she caught the light pink that graced Dahyun's pale face. Maybe it was the cold, maybe not, but neither girl made an attempt to deny or accept the implications of a date.

"I bet it was fun, your date." Nayeon chimed in, slipping an arm across Chaeyoung's broad shoulders.

Why, just why did they have to be so insufferable.

"Don't they just remind you of our own first few dates?" Momo said, with a kiss to Mina's cheek.

Sana only wiggled her brows suggestively, and Chaeyoung was now burning from sheer embarrassment.

Yes, she wanted to call it a date, but how would Dahyun feel about it? And if she was going to take Dahyun on a date, she didn't want some tiny impromptu icecream trip round the bend. She wanted it to be special, memorable. A date that would overshadow anything from both their past experiences.

Chaeyoung looked over to Dahyun, an unfamiliar look in her eyes. When the other girls mentioned date, something flashed in those orbs and Dahyun would try to in, but couldn't really, words always being swallowed back in. To Chaeyoung, she thought the girl was uncomfortable with the notion. And after a few more teasings, Chaeyoung took it upon herself to answer, just to get the noisy bunch to shut it.

She couldn't take it anymore.

"So, what did you guys do on your da-"

"It wasn't a date, okay?!"

The room immediately quieted. A quiet whimper escaped Sana, and Tzuyu glared at her chingu, hugging the older girl.

"Sorry, I... I'm just really tired and stressed with all my projects, okay? I... really need some rest." Chaeyoung couldn't believe she blew up for the second time already. And always at the girls she adored the most.

All of them were finding it hard to reply to that, even Jihyo simply kept mum.

Until one had enough.

"So it wasn't, huh. You could have denied it a little bit more gently. So you were annoyed with me dragging you out. That bad, huh? That's how much you didn't want to spend time with me."

Chaeyoung's eyes widened as she turned to the source of the voice. "Hyun, no I-!" She was replied to with footsteps and the slamming of the door...

-Followed by it opening again and Chaeyoung's blankets and pillows tossed out of their shared room. The girl groaned, realizing she was going to have to sleep over elsewhere. Hopefully not the couch. Please not the couch, she begged.

But besides that, was Dahyun what Chaeyoung thought she was? Was she feeling... hurt at what she said?

No, that couldn't be it. It must be another issue with the break up. She probably felt unwanted again. And they did go on a "friendly"date. Should she have not denied it so vehemently? Was she the only one being overly concious?

The mood obviously dampened after all of that. Collective sighs came around the room. From Chaeyoung and the rest. She almost chuckled at their synchronization.

Nobody really knew what to say. Well, except one.

"This was your fault." Tzuyu stated bluntly, digging emotional daggers into Chaeng's subconcious as she took Sana-who was giving Chaeyoung a sorry smile- back to her room before entering the maknae' and clearly making the lock click audibly for her to know she wasn't welcome until she got her together. Her younger friend was pretty disappointed in her. And after giving her such a blatant hint.

Every one else gave her a sympathetic, or apologetic look for their pushing and for the situation she had gotten in. If not that, they made her know what she did was pretty stupid.

Even Momo hit her hard. "I maybe stupid. But Chaeyoung, even I can see if love can happen. You're smart. You can't be worse off than me."

Maybe she was, though. Smart differently, stupid to love. After all, as Tzuyu had told her weeks  before, she had been making the same mistake over and over, causing her own problems with Dahyun as far as a romantic relationship was involved.

She groaned as everyone retreated to their own rooms, each locking their doors to force her to think. She trudged to the hall between the rooms to pick up her beddings and settled herself on the couch, without much choice.

It was stuffy and felt weird. She missed her bed. More than that, she missed being able to say good night to the one who slept underneath the said bed. To watch eyelids flutter close as her breathing stilled and she looked like a glass princess, fragile and sweet.

The only way to get out of this predicament and back into her comfy sleep style was obvious.

Chaeyoung had to make it up to Dahyun. 

Tossing the sheets off her frame, she ran in the direction of the rooms that weren't hers, knocking on them soft enough to only be heard by the occupants of those particular rooms.

As if they had telepathic powers, the doors opened at the same time, surprising Chaeyoung by greeting her with expectant looks from the two oldest members of their group, and the others inside looking as if they had been waiting for this exact moment.

"So, I take it you'll help me?"


Dahyun stirred in the comfort of her baby pink eagle printed blankets, squinting as gentle light entered here eyes, telling her that her roommate was up. Tzuyu always got up earlier than the rest of them, Mina following closely so they could cook breakfast for everyone regularly since sometimes, the others would take turns to do it.

What got her curious though was the sound of whispering bickers and pushes and shuffling, even a yelp and a smack to the arm. Wondering what that was about, she turned to the side of her bed and saw a very sad looking cub, pouting at her, dressed in shorts, a white long-sleeved dress-shirt accented with a bowtie and suspenders. Circular spectacles on her face, accompanied by her hair in two low twintails completed the look.

"You look stupid." Her hoarse voice exclaimed, holding back a guffaw.

"I was hoping you'd say funny and that I'd get you to laugh and I wouldn't have to go through with the whole plan."

"Whole plan?" Dahyun mused.

"Yah! Don't try to get out of it easy! Whether or not she forgives you right away, you still have to do everything!"Dahyun giggled at the loud reprimand from Nayeon from behind the door. Pairs of eyes peeked from the small crack, watching- rather, ensuring that Chaeyoung went through with whatever plan this was.

"I'm not that easy, anyway, don't worry!" Dahyun half-shouted in reply. 

"Yahhh..." Chaeyoung whined.

"Anyway," The older of the pair turned her attention back to the oddly-dressed, but very adorable cub. "What is... this..." She gestured to the whole girl. She watched her take a deep breath, fingers going to fiddle with the tie before reaching behind her and pulling out a bouquet of lilies. Clearing , not minding the way Dahyun's eyes began to widen and drying, Chaeyoung spoke.

"I want to ask you out on a date. A real date this time."

Of all the scenarios that played out in her head that would be the probable reaction, this wasn't what Chaeyoung thought would happen.

Dahyun slapped both of her cheeks, blinked, did not speak a word and simply stood up, tidied her bed and gathered her toiletries as she did any other day. A soft, "this isn't happening. Weird dream." was all Chaeyoung heard before it registered as Dahyun walked past her and all the others.

Dahyun was ignoring her.

Okay?

...

"W-wait!" Regaining her senses, Chaeyoung got up to go after the girl, the rustle of the pretty flowers reminding her that they were still in her hands. "Dahyun-unnie!" For the next hour, she felt how Dahyun felt just yesterday, struggling to be noticed. "Unnie! Did you think I was kidding! I'm not!"

Dahyun just poured herself a glass of water and asked Mina what was for breakfast. The Ballerina was a bit stunned, but served some on the platter anyway, placing it in front of Dahyun. Just as she was about to take a bite-

"No! Don't eat that!" Chaeyoung moved the plate away and faced a frowning Dahyun.

"And why not?" The pale-skinned girl finally gave her the attention- not that she wasn't from the start. No matter what, she could never not see Chaeyoung.

"Because it's not part of the plan!"

"And what plan, pray tell, are you referring to?"

Chaeyoung got down on one knee immediately and Jeongyeon's jaw dropped to the floor. (She saw it from her peripheral vision.)

"I'm sorry for  how I acted yesterday, for maybe hurting your feelings by making you think I didn't want to hang with you, but believe me, I do. I really do. And you're the coolest person I know and I would be stupid not to want that. I was really just really stressed, okay? And now, I want to make it up to you because I miss you like you..maybe? missed me because everyone's been busy and all that and we haven't gone out together in a while." Chaeyoung took a breath before continuing. "But know that there's no one I'd rather spend time with than you."

Dahyun knew she shouldn't feel so much hope for something than she did in that moment, but the words and what Chaeyoung was doing made her think that maybe, just maybe...

"Do you mean that?" She asked, shyly. She received a nod and a dimpled smile.

"From the bottom of my heart. I will always find time for you."

"Always?"

"Isn't that obvious?" Chaeyoung chuckled, not thinking much about her words. "Isn't that what best friends do?"

It was like a scratch of a broken disc. Everything paused, and Chaeyoung swore that shy, genuine smile faltered a bit, before returning a little less brighter. She heard Tzuyu slap her forehead and mutter, "stupid" before walking off to her room to do whatever.

"Y-yeah... yeah. Best friends do that, of course."

Did she mess up? Chaeyoung wondered.

"D-did I mess up?" She actually said out loud.

Dahyun's smile glowed a bit more at that, finding it adorable and silly how Chaeyoung looked like she had been caught kicking a puppy or something.

"Only a little bit." She grinned, cupping Chaeyoung's cheek. "How will you make up for that, then?"

Chaeyoung rubbed the back of her nape as she placed the flowers in Dahyun's hands, allowing the scent to envelope the girl. "Breakfast date?"

"I would like that." Dahyun laughed as their stomachs growled in unison. "And I'm guessing you'd like that too."


Breakfast reminded Dahyun of why Chaeyoung would always be a child in her eyes, no matter how handsomely charming she could be. The Unnies could often be found complaining about the younger's eating habits, a little messy, but Dahyun enjoyed wiping off the stains from her cheeks when she could never seem to find the right spot herself.

"Now, I look funny? And stupid? And childish?" Chaeyoung asked with a small pout and Dahyun pinched the puffed out cheek.

"Actually, saying you looked stupid was a lie. Really, you looked so cute."

"I'm not cute!" 

"Aren't you?"

"..."

"Maybe just a little bit... do you like it when I'm cute?"

Dahyun only hummed teasingly. "Take a guess."


"Flower watching, huh."

Even though it was so cold last night, Chaeyoung took Dahyun out to a hidden field, somewhere on the outskirts of town. With a bag of burgers( not really suited for aesthetic of the date, but meh.) and a few root beers, the two settled on a picnic blanket beside the vibrant patch of colors, admiring the way they danced to the tune of the refreshing breeze.

"I have to say, I sorta feel like forgiving you now." Dahyun commentedoff-handedly, earning herself a whine from Chaeyoung.

"So you still haven't?" 

"What do you think?"

"I thought my charms swayed you long ago."

"Ha.ha. Yeah, right." Dahyun wouldn't tell Chaeyoung that she had hit the mark on the head. She didn't need to.

They settled into a comfortable silence, biting into their grease sandwiches as they watched a butterfly flutter along the rows of colored petals, nature working its course.

Dahyun's eyes followed every movement, the bright wings entrancing her as the creature landed on her pointed nose, resting there for quite some time. As much as she was fascinated in the tiny thing of beauty, someone was likewise fascinated by this particular sight, reaching into her pack that was ever-ready with art materials as her hands began to work their magic and sketch a faint outline of the image. 

She was able to finish the rough sketch and put a bit of outlining and detail before the sharp eyes that were looking straight at the butterfly were now shifted to her, causing her to tense, caught in her act.

"Aha!" Dahyun exclaimed. "Oh, so now you reveal your true plans, Son Chaeyoung. Using me for your projects,hmmm?"

Chaeyoung laughed, riding along. "Oh no, you got me. However will I redeem myself?" She fell onto her back, eyes covered by one arm. "Will my life be enough recompense?"

Dahyun simply laughed and poked the girl's side. "I'd have to admit, i'd be lonely, but maybe it will be just enough to pay me back."

"But I can't have you lonely!" Chaeyoung sat up abruptly, facing Dahyun with a pout. "Though I'd gladly give my life for you."

"Cheesy~" Dahyun giggled before revealing a small digital cam that she had been carrying in her bag. "Well then,  I guess I'll have to help myself to my own assignments." She snapped a picture of Chaeyoung who just so happened to be in a gorgeous lighting, feeling complete satisfaction at the outcome. Maybe she wouldn't pass this after all. She didn't want too many people to see this special side.

"Photo-journalism class?" The younger inquired, trying to confirm the music major's other interests.

"Yep." Popping the "p", Dahyun lay on her back, lens pointed to the skies as she took photos of the passing clouds before turning it back to her friend and taking another picture. "I have to submit about four different entries with captions."

"Wait, I wanna not look like a child in that." Chaeyoung started to undo her hairdo, letting her semi-short hair cascade along her face. Dahyun reached over to help, tucking a few strands of hair behind her ear before her hand lingered just beside Chaeyoung's face. She found herself doing that a lot lately. Cradling the soft skin in her palms, caressing it whilst looking deep into eyes she realized she adored so much.

"There... just beautiful...." She said subconciously, breathlessly and Chaeyoung blushed as she turned her head away, snapping Dahyun out of her trance.

"Th-the picture." 

"A-ah, oh yeah... yeah, I'll just..." Dahyun began getting up to walk to her spot to take the pic, stumbling over her feet a bit, eliciting a giggle from Chaeyoung. "Wait- are we doing this for real? Like seriously?"

"Wasn't this your assignment?"

"We weren't both joking?" Though Dahyun was half-serious about it, still.

"I don't mind. As I said, today is me trying to win you over." And even if Chaeyoung didn't mean it the way she would have liked her to, Dahyun couldn't help but hope a little bit.

"Okay, well umm... just-" Dahyun began directing Chaeyoung as they worked to create art together through this shot.

"Let me sketch you properly after though. Might as well help each other out." Chaeyoung cheekily grinned.

"If that gives you more time with me where I don't have to be annoying, then sure." Dahyun grinned back, while Chaeyoung frowned.

"I told you, you weren't." Dahyun raised a brow. "Maybe a tiny bit, but!"

"Say Cheese!" The older interrupted, trying to get a move on. She expected a picture of a Chaeyoung caught off guard, a surprised looking girl, an unready expression, slightly candid. Maybe silly. What she didn't expect was that Chaeyoung didn't quite say cheese, the words she mouthed disabling her from using her shutter.

...

"W-what did you say?"

Chaeyoung only smiled back.

"Cheese, Unnie."

I love you.


Dahyun's Entry Number____ : xx/xx/20xx

 

Dear Diary,

       I guess I'm starting to get used to using "Dear Diary" as my opening line to this... book? to this work? I don't quite know really.

Guess what? Chaeyoung took me out on a date today. It made me very happy. I'm still afraid that I was a huge bother to her yesterday. Really, I was more at fault then her, but she still tried to make it up to me on this date. It makes me think that maybe.... maybe, right? No? Sigh... I really wish... for us to stay close even if its just as friends.

More than friends would be wonderful, clearly.

But as long as Chaeyoung is with me, I'll get through. Right now, though? I don't think I can handle seeing her with someone else. I feel like the pain this time around will be a lot worse than the previous ones. Why? Because I feel like we're both trying to give it a shot... or that's just wishful thinking.

You know what else? I could have sworn she said...

 I-I... I love... you when I took the pic.

If only she knew I would have said I loved her too.

Love? Is this love? 

What is love?

Is... is love Chaeyoung?

Chaeyoung is love to me?

I wonder. Good night Diary.

-Dahyun


A/N: I:M ALIVE. DAmn. Too many distactions. Hope you like it, I need sleep, ciao!

~Khazumi