A Little Bit of Sun

A Little Bit of Sun

You know those movies where they show the character waking up with the soft rays of the sun hitting their faces perfectly? Let’s add a smile on their face, while we're at it. Then they'll stretch and declare that they look bad (even when they don't) and carry on with their lives as if they have all the time in the world. Well, we all know the truth, right? Because first off, who gets up from bed the moment they wake up? Someone who's getting grilled by the sun apparently.

Jihoon jolted up from his bed once he realized that the sun has decided to make human toast for breakfast. Ignoring the aches on his back and neck, his eyes darted towards his curtain-less window and the scowl on his face deepened.

Ah, he remembered in disappointment. His beloved curtain was in the laundry.

It was his thick, dark brown curtain that has been saving him every time it gets too hot. It was also what made his mornings a little more bearable. It was what allowed him a couple of extra minutes to sleep in and it was also that curtain that had been in his room since the dawn of time.

“Can't you at least do it for health reasons?” Mingyu asked the night before in one of his usual attempts at making Jihoon bring the curtain to a laundry shop.

Jihoon hummed absent-mindedly while focused on the game he was playing on his laptop.

“Seriously, Jihoon. All you have to do is drop it off at the shop and you could get it back on the same day,” Jeonghan added while sprawled on the younger's bed with a snack.

“Okay. I'll do it later. Double kill!” Jihoon exclaimed, eyes still glued at the laptop screen.

Mingyu and Jeonghan exchanged looks of disbelief. 'I'll do it later' has been Jihoon's recurring answer for the last two months.

Jeongha sighed. “Alright. That's it.” He made his way towards Jihoon and picked him up by the shoulders. “Mingyu,” he nodded at the tall boy while keeping Jihoon hostage from his desk.

“What the hell are you guys doing?” he protested.

“Something we should've done a long time ago,” Mingyu answered in a dramatic voice before taking down Jihoon's curtain.

“Stop! I don't have an extra!”

“Relax. It's 9 in the evening,” Jeonghan laughed, still keeping Jihoon away until Mingyu walked out of the room sneezing. “You won't need it tonight.”

“I'm exposed!”

But he had no choice. Mingyu has already taken his curtain captive and has promised to bring it to the shop himself the next morning on his way to school. Jeonghan, of course, also made sure that the curtain would safely reach its destination.

Jihoon shook his head at the length his dormmates would go through, at the same time thankful that since they were the ones that proposed the idea, they were the ones obligated to execute them. Still, waking up this way did not mean he had to like it.

It’s usually thanks to the mixed shuffling outside his room partnered with hopeless laughter that would prompt him to get up. It’s his daily alarm that meant he has a good 15 minutes to prepare and get to school in the nick of time; it was one of the perks of choosing a school nearby. The situation today though was different.

Jihoon reached for his phone to check the time and if it were humanly possible, the scowl on his face got deeper; he had one whole hour before school. He looked back at his bed with a tiny bit of hope only to be disappointed. At this point, the sun has already fixed its spotlight on his side of the room and it had no plans of going away until later.

Jihoon raked his bed hair and groaned. “Guess it’s time to get up early for once.”

It wasn’t just getting up early that he managed to do. Today, Jihoon also made it in time before classes started which was one of the rare feats he’s done since the school year started, even arriving earlier than the professor.

“Oh. You’re early.”

Jihoon turned to look at the person who spoke to his left. It was a student he’s never seen before but he guessed that they’ve probably been classmates and he just never noticed. “Excuse me?”

“I said you’re early.”

Jihoon narrowed his eyes at you and frowned, unsure of how to respond.

“You usually arrive a few minutes after class,” you said matter-of-factly after sensing the confusion from his response or lack of. “Honestly, I have no idea how the prof never calls you out for it.”

“You were watching me?”

You shrugged. “You do make quite an entrance. Most people would be sweating or frantic whenever they arrive late. You? You just waltz in and act normal. I guess it doesn’t really matter since you’re seated here at the very back. Still, I’m impressed. You’ve got guts, Jihoon.”

“Jihoon?” Jihoon repeated, amused by your tone of closeness and the whole spiel that came out of your mouth. “I’m sorry. Who are you?”

You smiled at the question and gave him your name but it sounded rhetorical now that you thought of it. He didn’t seem to have waited for your answer either as he’s currently muttering to himself and paying no attention to you at all.

The professor then arrived with a stack of handouts and distributed them down the line.

“How come you’re early today anyway?” you whispered, getting the pile of papers from him but Jihoon remained silent. Still, you had just the best back up to make him talk. “Is it because of your curtain?”

That’s when you caught his attention. Jihoon turned to you with his eyes wide and suspicious. It was an amusing sight, to be quite honest, like watching a deer caught in the headlights.

“How do you—”

“Mr. Lee Jihoon,” the professor’s voice resounded in the small auditorium.

The tip of Jihoon’s ears burned red as heads turned to look at his direction, some snickering, some in confusion on who the unlucky student was. The professor didn’t sound angry. But it was very unusual for him to call out a student. Maybe he was having a bad day?

“Collect all the extra handouts and place them here,” the professor said, tapping the table.

You winced after realizing what happened. “Here. Let me—” but Jihoon only shot you a glare telling you he did not want your help. And with that, he stood up and walked around towards the end of each row to do what he was asked to do.


Jihoon tossed his bag in his room and went to the kitchen where his dormmates gathered for dinner.

“Jihoonie,” Jeonghan started with a tone and facial expression that Jihoon did not like. “Mingyu has something to tell you.”

Jihoon turned his gaze towards Mingyu who set his chopsticks silently on the table, his eyes looking at anything but Jihoon. “What did you do?”

“Practice for futsal started today, hyung,” Mingyu started slowly, mustering up a smile. “That’s why from today on, I won’t be able to go home earlier than usual.”

Jihoon blinked. Mingyu’s announcement was harmless enough, besides the conclusion that he probably won’t be available for dinner duty for a while. So why was Jeonghan grinning like mad? “Really? Okay then,” Jihoon answered nonchalantly. “By the way, did you get the laundry yet?”

Jeonghan tried to hide his growing smile while Mingyu’s wavered. “That’s…uh, the thing.” Mingyu took a deep breath before launching into his well-thought-out script. “I forgot to get it because of my practice. I just remembered it a few minutes ago after Jeonghan-hyung asked me. I’ll get it tomorrow, I promise!”

“Really? Okay then,” Jihoon answered without missing a beat which sent the others in surprise. Jihoon looked up. “What?”

The others spoke to each other with their eyes but none had the courage to actually speak up. “Nothing,” Jeonghan answered going back to his food and encouraged everyone to do the same.

Jihoon shrugged and finished his meal in silence, only speaking to inform them that he’s done and going back to his room to rest. He was too tired to argue. All day long, he tried not to think about anything related to you but the thoughts just kept coming; like the fact that you got him in trouble or realizing that it was the only class you shared, and most importantly, the curtain part. Just how did you know?

Another day passed and yesterday seemed to repeat itself. The moment he got to his seat, you greeted him with the word ‘second’ and asked him an important question: “Still don’t have your curtain back?”

Jihoon pretended to not hear but in his mind, he was furious. He wanted to get rid of the mysterious air around you. He wanted to know how you knew. But he didn’t want to talk, not if it meant being the center of the spotlight again.

He tried confronting you in private but your schedules overlapped and he never saw you on campus either. Things got worse when Mingyu came home.

The minute Mingyu saw Jihoon, he dropped down to his knees with his hands raised in the air.

“The hell’s wrong with you?”

“He probably forgot something important again,” Seungkwan grinned as he passed him by.

Mingyu shot the younger a glare before turning his pleading eyes towards Jihoon. “I got caught up! I didn’t plan this, I swear!”

“Course you didn’t plan it,” Jihoon said as he walked over to the couch to watch TV. “If you did, you wouldn’t have dared to come home. Where’s the place? I’ll go there myself tomorrow.”

Mingyu felt tons of weight lifted off his shoulder as he got up and took a seat next to Jihoon. “I’ll treat you. I promise I’ll treat you,” he said smiling, grateful for the pardon he received.

Honestly, Jihoon didn’t care much. Waking up early had some benefits anyway, not that he's fine living without his curtain anymore. Still, he wanted to know the truth. Was the laundry shop giving out information to random strangers? He needs to know and if needed, he will fight.

You smiled watching Jihoon as he settled into his seat. He looked indifferent as usual but he at least spared a glance your way when he came in. “Third.”

“What?”

“Today's your third day of being early.”

“Stop counting.”

“Can't. It's entertaining.”

“Not for me.”

“Still don’t have your curtain, I see,” you proceeded, knowing that it was the perfect way to keep his attention.

Jihoon took a deep breath and faced you with all intents of getting the truth out once and for all. That was until the professor arrived right on time and Jihoon had to hold himself back. His experience two days ago was still fresh in his mind. Asking you would have to wait. Meanwhile, he needs to think of a way to make you talk. The few times you mentioned the curtain to him, you had this annoying smile on your face. Jihoon scoffed at the memory.

“Psst!”

Jihoon turned to see you holding a piece of paper with the words ‘look at youngmin’ written on it. He glanced at the boy, a classmate seated two rows in front and found him sleeping with his mouth slightly open. Jihoon can’t help but grin. However, he dropped it when he looked back at you again. You were holding another piece of paper but this time, it had the words ‘that’s you three days ago’ written with a messy doodle of him (he figured) instead.

Again. The whole watching thing. Jihoon was about to ask you the question when all of a sudden, you slipped the paper under your arm and went back to writing as if nothing happened.

“Mr. Lee Jihoon,” a familiar voice said. Jihoon heard this voice two days ago. Heck, he hears this voice every morning. This time though, it sounded awfully close.

Jihoon took a breath, putting on his best innocent face and turned to see his professor standing beside him.


“Hyung. Are you on your way?”

“No need to remind me, Mingyu. And yes, I am.”

“I’ll make you your favorite later when I get home, I swear.”

“I thought you were going to treat me?”

“I will but I can’t today…but I will!”

Jihoon rolled his eyes, holding the phone to his other ear. “I can’t even argue with you since I know you make good food.”

“Aww, thanks for the compliment, hyung.”

“Don’t be too relaxed. It doesn’t mean I’m still not annoyed at you for forgetting two days straight.”

“Sorry hyung. I’ll really make it up to you.”

Jihoon ended the call and shook his head. He was traveling down the road from his campus in search of the laundry shop Mingyu goes to. As it turns out, the shop was close to his campus which also meant it was way off from Mingyu’s way. When he asked why, Mingyu only shrugged saying someone recommended it to him and that they charge the cheapest.

“Typical Mingyu,” Jihoon scoffed, placing his phone in his pocket. “It should be around here somewhere…”

“Was that Mingyu?” someone asked from behind.

Jihoon didn’t have to look to know. He knew that voice as much as he wished he didn’t. “First, you watch me. Second, you know stuff about me. And now, you’re stalking me and eavesdropping?” Do you like me or something? Jihoon wanted to ask but even to him, it sounded ridiculous so he didn't.

“Don’t be full of it,” you said, screwing up your face. “First, like I said, you make quite an entrance. Second, I have my ways. And third, I’m on my way home plus you said his name earlier and I heard his loud voice.”

“Okay. First of all, how come you know Mingyu? And second, what do you mean you have your ways?”

You sighed, placing both hands on your hips. Looking at how confused and ignorant Jihoon looked, you decided to break it to him the best way you can.

“Where are you going?” he asked as he watched you pass him by without a word.

You went into one of the shops with him following closely behind. By now, you expected him to piece two and two together as you walked behind the counter and placed your bag underneath. You turned to the shelf behind and pulled a large bag with the name Mingyu labeled on the top-right corner. “You’re here for your stuff, right?” You pulled the logbook and wrote a few details before offering Jihoon the pen. “I need you to sign this.”

The sound of whirring filled the silence that came. The only ones that moved in the shop were the tumbling clothes inside of the washing machines that lined up the wall and the two people sitting and talking on the bench. Jihoon finally came to his senses. “You work here?”

“Family business. Not much of a stalker, am I?” you smiled triumphantly at the blushing mess of a person in front of you.

“Still,” Jihoon tried not to stutter, “it doesn’t explain how you knew about the curtain being mine.”

You shrugged. “Mingyu told me.”

“That brat,” Jihoon said, his voice laced with betrayal.

“He is a chatterbox, isn't he?” you said with a little laugh.

The boy had trouble looking you in the eyes and he had every reason to. “About what I said…” he started.

Instead of the usual indifference that he always wore to class for the past months, it was amusing to see this side of him. It was fun thinking of ways to provoke him for the past two days and a half that you even asked yourself if you were turning to a sadist. But no. It was just a little…refreshing.

“Sorry.”

A small smile made its way to your face. “Eh,” you waved him off. “It’s not like I wasn't being weird and mysterious on purpose.” You pushed the logbook to him and watched him sign. "Sorry 'bout that."

“How come I’ve never seen you before?” he finally asked, taking the bag. “In class, I mean.”

“That's cause you never noticed.”

It was Jihoon’s turn to shrug from your straightforwardness. “Makes sense.”

“So, what made you notice me?”

Jihoon frowned. “You kinda made yourself noticed when you talked to me saying ‘Oh. You’re early,” he said mimicking your voice. “You tell me.”

“That wasn’t the first time I talked to you though.”

The confusion on his face invited you to relay your side. You hoped he simply did not remember but honestly, you already knew he never even noticed. “There was this time before prelims. I talked to you about professor Son forgetting to tell us the scope of his exam. Another was when Jae showed up to class wearing a unicorn onesie. Everyone was focused on him but you were too out of it to notice, I guess. You looked really sleepy. Then there was another time when Kyla asked me to ask you for—”

“Okay. I get it. You’ve talked to me before. Multiple times. But why didn’t I notice?”

“I dunno. It’s your turn to tell me.”

Before he could think of an answer, Jihoon’s phone rang. It was Mingyu.

“Hyung! Are you there yet?”

“You just called. Why are you calling again?”

“I forgot something. Is y/n there?”

Jihoon glanced at you before putting his phone on speaker and holding it towards you.

“Hey Mingyu!” you greeted.

“Y/n! Thanks for holding on to our stuff. I’ll come by with the extra payment tomorrow.”

“No, it’s fine. You don’t have to since it’s still within the time limit,” you said nodding at Jihoon as confirmation.

“Really? That’s a relief! Thanks!”

“You’re welcome.”

“I have to go, hyung,” Mingyu said, directing his voice at Jihoon. “That’s all I called for. See you at home!” and he ended the call.

Jihoon scoffed. “He just comes and goes as he wants, doesn’t he?”

You met his question with an unsure smile. Just a little while ago, he was on the other side of the wall called 'I don't know you' that he so stubbornly created but now the wall seemed to have never existed. Thankfully, he was a smart guy and noticed.

He cleared his throat and picked up the laundry bag. “I’ll get going then.”

You nodded. “Congratulations on getting your curtain back.”

“…thanks.”

You watched as he left hesitantly, giving you another nod after reaching the entrance. He really was fun to tease, you thought. It would be nice if you could continue being friends with him. “Don’t be late tomorrow!” you called out, giving him a little wave.

The playful tone in your voice made Jihoon smile. It was a bumpy road that he found himself into the moment you met but somehow, he was looking forward to the ride. He shook his head. “You're not my mom!”

The next morning, Jihoon woke up early, way earlier than his alarm. He looked around his room. Almost every inch of it was covered in darkness thanks to his curtain, all except on his side. A small slice of the first sunlight peeked through the opening he made the night before. A smile grew on his face. His plan worked.

You rushed with hurried steps to get in class before the bell rang avoiding all the other students in the hall. You reached your seat in time but something was off. The seat to your right was vacant.

“Is it his curtain again?” you asked out loud.

“Yes,” a voice from behind replied, “but for an entirely different reason.”

Leaning against the wall behind you, with his hands in his pockets and a smug smile on his face, was Jihoon. “I only thought of getting here earlier than you but wow, you’re pretty late. Well,” he shrugged, “almost.” Jihoon walked to his seat, taking advantage of the stunned silence that came from you. The smug look on his face never left even as the professor entered the room. He cocked an eyebrow at you and scoffed. “Guess today’s your first.”

The mornings that ensued became a battle of who gets to class first although you did not understand what for or how it came to be. All you knew was that it was fun and Jihoon, though he seemed to be a morning-hater, seemed to be enjoying his victories. It was even more amusing when another game started. This time, it was ‘spot the funniest sleeper in class’ and poor Youngmin was a frequent candidate.

“Hey,” you called out to Jihoon one Friday afternoon. You were on your way to work and strangely, he was walking towards the same direction as you were which never happened unless... “Are you going to the shop?”

“Yeah,” he replied simply. “I told Mingyu I’d do all this instead. It’s the least I can do since he's my roommate and it’s in my direction anyway.” Jihoon gripped his phone tightly. What he said was true but it was a bit more complex than that.

image

“I guess it’s a good thing then,” you said, matching his pace. “Mingyu told me how much of a homebody you are that it was starting to make them worry. You’ll get more sun this way. Look. You don’t look so vitamin sun deprived anymore.”

Jihoon rolled his eyes. “It’s vitamin D and I’m not sun deprived. This is my normal complexion.”

“Really?” you asked, leaning close to examine his face. “Nice skin.”

Jihoon fought the urge to step back but the act caught him off guard. A weak 'thanks' was all he could come up with.

“Okay but you can use some sun. You said you discovered benefits from waking up early, right? Well maybe this time,” you continued to babble on about the possibilities of going out but Jihoon already tuned out.

How can a person still have this much energy after being in school for the whole day? That and the fact that you had to work after too.

Jihoon shook his head, both amused and intimidated by the energy that you had. It was almost like the sun in human form, he thought. And the more he thought about it, the more he was convinced that you were some type of sun; the way you barged into his life without alarm, how you never backed down with your interactions with him, and your warmth and passion towards things that somehow touched him for the better.

Jihoon watched as you continue talking animatedly without losing the wonder in your eyes and thought, maybe a little sun in his life wouldn’t hurt.