Final

Hello Again, Angel
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Did I do something to offend Yifan or something?"  

 

 

"Why the sudden thought?" 

 

 

"Because if I hadn't, why? Why oh why oh why did he give me this– Why did I get assigned this baby!" Chanyeol laments, grabby hands reaching for Kyungsoo who's sitting on the couch above him. Yet, instead of the comfort which he expects, Chanyeol receives an unimpressed expression and a light slap on his hands. "Soo!" 

 

 

Kyungsoo blatantly ignores Chanyeol's pout to say, "It's funny you say that, Yeol, because I remember saying something like that, too, when you came to me all those years ago."  

 

 

As though shot in the chest by something, Chanyeol jerks backwards, the hand on his chest crumpling the fabric of his shirt. He gasps exaggeratingly. "H-How– How could you think something like that, Soo! I'm pretty sure I was a good, obedient, and utterly adorable baby angel!" And Chanyeol harrumphs, frowning, as he folds his arms across his chest.  

 

 

"Please," Kyungsoo scoffs, the unimpressed look on his face getting more unimpressed (which is quite impossible, but this is Kyungsoo we're talking about here). "For your information, you were never obedient when you were a baby because you keep setting my things on fire." Then, an afterthought. "Setting other people's things on fire." 

 

 

Chanyeol doesn't need to sift through his memory stores to know exactly what Kyungsoo is referring to. "Soo!" He begins to wail, fingers harmlessly clawing at his face. "Come on! It's been, what, almost seventy years since then! Give me a break already!" 

 

 

The unimpressed look on Kyungsoo's face hasn't waned in the slightest, and Chanyeol immediately knows what's going to happen next. He stops clawing at his face, choosing to arrange his fingers to cover his face instead because oh boy here we go.  

 

 

He's going to talk about that again. 

 

 

If there's something that Kyungsoo can NEVER forgive Chanyeol for, it's that he (and his ing pyromaniac tendencies ["I was a wee lad! My control was back then! You can't blame me, Soo, you can't!"]) caused Kyungsoo to lose a set of curtains to Yixing. 

 

 

His set of limited-edition unicorn curtains.   

 

 

"I'm never giving you a break," says Kyungsoo matter-of-factly. The unimpressed expression hasn't budged (and Chanyeol is a tad worried about it being a permanent expression of his boyfriend). "No matter how many unicorn-printed curtains you've bought for me, they are not my limited-edition ones." 

 

 

Chanyeol's mouth is opened, but no words come out of it. He knows that he can never win whenever Kyungsoo argues with him about that set of curtains. ("ing unicorns," Chanyeol always thinks.) He brings his knees up, jams his chin on one, and starts to sulk.  

 

 

"Also, compared to you, Hun is an angel." 

 

 

Chanyeol jams his chin deeper into his knee. Sulks even more. 

 

 

 

--- 

 

 

 

Chanyeol is certain that Kyungsoo's comment of oh wow only after seventy years do you get chosen to be a carer is sarcastic. He vaguely remembers Kyungsoo mentioning before that he had been on Heaven for hundreds of years before he was assigned. Hundreds of years versus seventy years. Sarcastic. Definitely sarcastic.  

 

 

And yet here he was. Not even a century on Heaven, and Hell Day finally applies to him. Chosen to care for one of this year's batch of (ethically-created) baby angels, Chanyeol was assigned Sehun, a baby boy who supposedly wields the ability of wind.  

 

 

And boy can Sehun wield. 

 

 

"Do you mind getting Sehun to tone down his wind a little, Yeol!" Baekhyun yells from where he's sitting on his lawn. His hair is all over the place. There's a baby girl in his lap and her long hair is whipping around her small head. "Joohyun's clover keeps getting bent in the wind!" 

 

 

Baekhyun's yell barely reaches Chanyeol over the howling of Sehun's gales, but Chanyeol sees the scowl on his best friend-slash-neighbour's face and promptly gets the message. He makes an 'OK' sign with his fingers before looking down at the baby boy sitting in his lap. 

 

 

Sitting silently and unmoving in his lap. 

 

 

Unlike Chanyeol, who set himself on fire on Day One, Sehun hadn't done anything. In fact, he didn't even demonstrate any ounce of his ability until the first month passed. Chanyeol has been worried, concerned over the lack of display of ability but Kyungsoo dismissed his concerns.  

 

 

"When Hun finally shows his ability, you're going to regret ever worrying about him." 

 

 

And boy did Chanyeol regret (while Kyungsoo kept rubbing it in his face). 

 

 

Pushing his hair out of his eyes, Chanyeol bends forward, edging his head close to his baby angel's. In contrast to the magnificent display of his wind ability, there is a blank expression on Sehun's face. It is as though he isn't exerting any effort at all to control the wind. And that is darn impressive for a month-and-a-half-year-old (or a-year-and-a-half-year-old) baby angel. 

 

 

"Sehun," Chanyeol says, his lips almost making contact with Sehun's tiny ears. "Could you stop the wind? Uncle Baekhyun is complaining–"—and he pointedly drops down to a low whisper—"–again." 

 

 

Sehun doesn't respond. He just... blinks. 

 

 

The strong wind continues to blow. 

 

 

"Hun..." Chanyeol tries again, his head edging even closer to Sehun's, his lips grazing the baby angel's round cheeks. "You have to stop because Joohyun's flowers can't sit up straight in your wind. And if they can't sit up straight, their postures will be bad and Joohyun will be very upset because those are her precious, precious flowers which she grew." Then, an afterthought. "Do you want Joohyun to be upset, Sehun?" 

 

 

The air suddenly goes still. The wind stopped blowing. 

 

 

Chanyeol smiles, and he praises his baby angel immediately because if there's one thing that he has learnt in his one and half months of angel rearing, it's that Sehun thrives on praises.  

 

 

(There was this one time Sehun didn't receive any gratitude or praise for halting his wind, and in the next moment a mini hurricane appeared on Kyungsoo's lawn. Needless to say, the lawn was wrecked.  

 

 

And Kyungsoo refused to speak to Chanyeol for half a week [the number of days Chanyeol had taken to clean up their lawn].) 

 

 

"Wonderful job, Hun! Thank you for stopping the wind! I'm sure Joohyun's flowers can grow tall now." 

 

 

And, as with previous times, Sehun doesn't respond. He just blinks. 

 

 

Chanyeol sighs, disappointed. 

 

 

"You've got yourself a toughie there, Yeollie." 

 

 

At the familiar voice, Chanyeol looks up, and the disappointment from being ignored by his baby angel vanishes at the sight of a chocolate-brown labrador clambering up his porch, with Han and his baby angel not far behind. The dog walks over, head dipping down to nose at Chanyeol's open palm. Chanyeol lets its wet nose venture all over his hand. He gently guides it down to Sehun's head, allowing the labrador to nose at his baby angel's face instead. Chanyeol knows that Sehun (secretly) likes it, if the reluctance that he displays each time the dog must leave is any indication.  

 

 

"Oi, that's my dog. Not yours."  

 

 

Chanyeol rolls his eyes. "Clover might as well be mine, seeing how she's being fed here five days a week." 

 

 

Han whacks Chanyeol on the head. "She wouldn't be yours. She'd be Soo's because he's the one feeding her." He sticks his tongue out at Chanyeol while nimbly evading one of Chanyeol's long arm sweeps, the movement causing a squeal from the baby angel in his arms. Han settles down a short distance away, depositing the baby girl onto his lap. 

 

 

"His is mine, and mine is his," Chanyeol simply says. 

 

 

"But if I recall correctly, didn't he explicitly state that Sehun is your responsibility?" 

 

 

Chanyeol waves his hand dismissively. "You remembered wrong." 

 

 

"Han remembered correctly." 

 

 

Kyungsoo appears in the doorway. There's an amused expression on his face. 

 

 

"Hun is your baby angel, not mine." 

 

 

He turns to Han then, jerks a thumb in the direction of the house. "Clover's food is ready, and so is Boa's." 

 

 

"Alright!" Han cheers. He gets up, hefts his baby angel into his arms and walks over to his dog. He then drops to the floor, positions the baby girl in front of the labrador. "Boa, could you tell Clover that lunch is ready?" 

 

 

The baby girl, Boa, suddenly turns to look at the dog. She blinks. Blinks again. And blinks again. Then, an adorable smile spreads across her cherubic face. "Ah!" she calls out. 

 

 

"Thank you, sweetie," says Han, as though he understood what his baby angel has just said. He straightens himself again and proceeds to walk into the house. The dog quietly follows him. 

 

 

Even though Chanyeol has seen this form of interaction countless times (or the amount of times Han came over with his dog and baby angel in tow for free food), he still can't get used to the fact that Boa can communicate telepathically with the dog. He doesn't know how she does it, but Clover definitely received the message. Han's baby angel's ability is one cool ability. 

 

 

On the other hand... what does wind do again? 

 

 

(Wreck lawns, Chanyeol's mind bitterly supplies.) 

 

 

"Hun's lunch is ready, too, so you two better come on inside." 

 

 

Kyungsoo's voice snaps Chanyeol out of his thoughts and the first thing he sees is how high definition his boyfriend's face is and how it's nearing his face and oh.  

 

 

It's a chaste kiss. Lips pressing on lips. It barely lasted three seconds. But for Chanyeol, it seemed to have lasted three years. 

 

 

Kyungsoo pulls away first, and Chanyeol's heart pounds at the sight of the pretty shade of pink dusting Kyungsoo's cheeks. There's a coy smile on Kyungsoo's face but before Chanyeol can say anything about it, Kyungsoo is already standing up.  

 

 

With Sehun in his arms.  

 

 

Huh? 

 

 

Chanyeol must have blurted it out loud because Kyungsoo is chuckling in the next second, and he says, "I know I said that Hun is your responsibility and under your care, but we're all living together in this household as a family. So." 

 

 

A shrug. "He's mine, too."  

 

 

And without another word, Kyungsoo quickly scuttles away with Sehun in his arms. Leaving behind a dazed Chanyeol, whose face slowly brightens with realization as a fond smile forms. 

 

 

A family huh, Chanyeol thinks. 

 

 

That's... nice. 

 

 

 

--- 

 

 

 

A moan rings out in the silence of the night. 

 

 

"Shh," whispers Kyungsoo. "Do you want Hun to wake up?" 

 

 

Chanyeol bites down hard on his lower lip. His fingers grip the bedsheets tighter, toes curling in anticipation as he watches Kyungsoo part his lips and his tongue slowly slips out. Warmth peppers the tip of Chanyeol's , and another moan threatens to escape him but Chanyeol bites down even harder on his lower lip to prevent it from slipping out.  

 

 

Sehun mustn't wake this time. He mustn't. 

 

 

Chanyeol's fingers are suddenly bei

Please log in to read the full chapter