School Days

Boy's Heart

A week would pass, leaving only a month and a half for Christmas to be marked off everyone’s calendar. Hoya came back and though he walked with crutches, he seemed jolly. The cold wintry wind alongside sudden snowfall the night prior left most students sick at home with colds. A handful of students were absent, but school must go on. Even with adequate heating, Sungkyu felt affected by the cold as he regretted his decision to ever choose the window seat during seating-arrangement time.

“Hope you don’t get frostbite,” Hoya whispered at him.

“You’ve got an icy heart,” Sungkyu mouthed at him.

Sungkyu was caught, “Sungkyu, no talking!” their teacher rebuked.

“Chill out, don’t be so cold,” Sungkyu replied with hopes of getting back on his teacher’s good side.

“No puns! No talking back! Stand in the corner of the room!”

Sungkyu took a deep sigh, but relented. Standing up from his seat, he noticed Nayeon smiling at him. That wide grin made sure to warm up Sungkyu a little, although that smile was the result of holding in her laughter to the point that she started tearing up a little.

During lunch the four sat together and ate well, as was now their custom. Coincidentally, both Mina and Nayeon had made cookies for all of them to eat. Nayeon’s looked like a piece of art, lifted from off the page of an expensive cookbook, while Mina’s had a more modest appearance. Mina’s cookies almost burned to a crisp, being salvaged by her father’s girlfriend. Even so, the boys ate both. Hoya reached out for Mina’s, Sungkyu was handed a cookie by Nayeon, and Mina reached for Nayeon’s, leaving Nayeon to receive a cookie from Mina shortly after. They ate, and all had varying expressions.

“The bitterness of the burnt parts compliment the sweetness of the chocolate,” Hoya told Mina.

“Yours tastes good,” Mina told Nayeon.

“Yeah, yours tastes good too,” Nayeon replied.

Sungkyu coughed a little. “I think you need to lay off the sugar, Nayeon. Too sweet for my taste,” Sungkyu remarked.

Nayeon clicked her tongue.

Sungkyu then reached for Mina’s but was beaten by Hoya, who stole the last two.

He gobbled them down, “Laggers are loosers,” he jested.

Sungkyu paid it no mind, choosing to tilt his chair back and comment, “I’m happy to have friends like you three.”

Hoya and Nayeon couldn’t help but feel awkward by his sudden words of appreciation, Mina was the only one who felt touched.

“You ain’t dying, Sungkyu. Don’t be so cheesy,” Nayeon spoke under her breath, wincing an eye.

Mina then sneezed in cute manner that resembled a puppy’s sneeze.  Sungyu laughed, leading him to fall backwards, causing a loud crash. The whole class stared back, “It’s just Sungkyu,” a girl announced.

Getting up, Sungkyu reassured, “I’m okay!”

“Are you a clown?” Nayeon joked.

“Only in the story where you’re a witch,” he retorted.

Nayeon took offence, “Hey!”

“Just kidding!”

Their tomfoolery made Mina smile, a sight Hoya made sure not to miss. Then Nayeon laughed, letting her cute bunny teeth to become more apparent, making Sungkyu feel like teasing her some more.

“Did the Easter bunny come early or late this year?” Sungkyu said with an almost devilish grin.

“Oh shut up! That’s how the boys in elementary used to tease me,” Nayeon said.

“I wish I could’ve been there.”

Nayeon smiled sarcastically as he sat back down after picking up his chair.

“Your teeth are kinda cute, though,” Sungkyu said, “I like ‘em.”

“Is that a confession,” Nayeon asked, poking into Sungkyu’s side, “That’s good to know.” She laughed.

Mina just smiled awkwardly, and Hoya scoffed at the pair’s comedy act.

After school, Nayeon told Mina of a seasonal treat offered by Baskin Robbins and asked her if she wanted to go buy some together.

“It tastes real good!” Nayeon said as she tugged on Mina’s sleeve.

They ditched Sungkyu who kept Hoya company as he waited to be picked up by his parents. Seeing the two go off brought him some disappointment, They didn’t ask me.

“Maybe we can play games together at my house this weekend,” Hoya apologetically suggested.

“Only if you loose on purpose. I stink at fighting games,” Gyujiji muttered.

When Mina and Nayeon reached the ice cream store, they were greeted by a rather lovely girl who stood at the cash register, attending the customers. The pair guessed she was the reason for the store’s success; the store was pretty full when they stepped in.

“Maybe we should’ve come at a different time,” Nayeon remarked.

“I’m okay waiting if the reward’s good enough,” Mina replied.

A few minutes passed and the two eagerly awaited their order. The girl they thought was the store’s success even gave them an extra scoop of the seasonal special, taking into account the displeasure she noticed in Nayeon’s eyes while in line.

“Thanks,” Nayeon told her. She squinted to get a better look at the employee’s nametag, “Tzuyu...”

“You’re welcome,” Tzuyu replied with a smile.

The two then walked over to the seats by the window. They ate their frozen treat rather quietly, a hint of awkwardness still lodged between the two, an awkwardness that was only diminished when Sungkyu sat with them.

“So…You like someone?” Nayeon whimsically asked, scooping up the final traces of ice cream.

“I like you,” Mina smiled, “we’re friends now right?”

“Yeah sure,” Nayeon up the cream off her spoon, ”but that’s not exactly what I meant.”
Mina was unsure of her response, “You mean, like to like a boy?”
“Yeah.”
“I like this one actor, but I can’t actually remember his name? Kim something. Myungsoo?” Mina began rubbing her chin, “Is that what like is? I’m just a fan in hindsight…”

Nayeon was slightly irritated by her answer, cutting to the chase, “What do you think of Hoya?”

“I like him, he’s a good guy. Feel kinda sorry for him.”

Nayeon’s interest became piqued “And Sungkyu?”

Mina smiled slightly, “Yeah, I feel he’s a great guy.”
“How great?”

“Very,” Mina looked at her, “you’re a good friend too though.”

Nayeon sat up, stretching out her arms, “You too…You like Hoya’s eyes? Think they’re charming?”
“They’re okay…”

“And Sungkyu’s? Think his small eyes are unappealing?”
Mina laughed slightly, becoming flustered by the bombardment of questions, “What’s with that?”

“Small talk ‘bout a small guy,” Nayeon smiled.

The two finally gathered their trash and left the store.

“Thank you and please come again!” Tzuyu said as she waved goodbye, admiring their friendship and wondering if she would meet a friend like them.

Mina walked at a leisurely pace, annoying Nayeon just a little, but she acquiesced and slowed her usual quick pace to match hers. The sky was now covered by gray clouds, hinting at rain. Sure enough, droplets gradually began to cover the sidewalk they walked on. Mina enjoyed the cool wind that accompanied the sudden shower, but Nayeon couldn’t stand it, choosing to leave Mina behind after saying farewell.

At the dead of the night, Sungkyu was awakened by the rain that came in from the window. He stupidly forgot to close the window. He sighed and wondered if it would stop in time for school. It didn’t, the rain only fell harder to Gyujiji’s dismay. Even with the rain resembling an off-season monsoon, Sungkyu walked to school, umbrella in hand, with the prospect of hanging out with his friends again.

On the way to school, he was met by Mina who greeted with her usual bright smile, “Poor Hoya, huh?”

Sungkyu nodded, “Poor Sungkyu, too! Boy forgot to close his window, thinking the rain would settle during his sleep. Weather’s crazy! It was snowing what a couple of nights ago, and now it rains?! Is it like the end of the world or something?!”

“You left it opened?!”

Sungyu sighed, “Man, it gets all stuffy and humid in my house when it rains. I needed to leave the window just a little, but that was enough to let the rain in, I guess.”

Just outside the school gate, a rather fancy looking Lexus stopped by the two, prompting the instinct to stop and see who would come out. It was Nayeon. She usually walked to school, but the rain prompted her to take a ride to school.

“You’re not gonna help me?” Nayeon asked, looking at Sungkyu with a lifted brow, a mischievous expression only she was able to successfully conjure.

“Fine,” Sungkyu grunted, following up with a rather charming smile.

“Thanks…” Nayeon replied, holding onto Sungkyu’s hand, wet by the rain.

The trio rushed inside school at Nayeon’s behest. When the three entered their class, they were welcomed by a warm smile that adorned Hoya’s usual stoic visage.

Sungkyu pulled up his seat and stared at the rain as it drizzled on the window. He was relaxed now inside the refuge of school. He steadily drifted away in a moment of peace, taking advantage of the five minutes before class began.

Hoya felt like laughing at him, thinking he had stupid look on his face, “What are you doing?”

“It’ll be us against the world, huh?”

“What? You sound like you’re having a mid-life crisis...”

Sungkyu rubbed his eyes, “Man, it’s just all these stupid tests and studying has been getting to me, I guess.”
 

“Well, ain’t that depressing, but you’re kinda right, it gets to you,” Hoya said. He yawned and looked down at his foot, “We’ll be alright, though.”

Sungkyu smiled, gesturing with his hands, “I’m sorry, didn’t mean to get too… At least we got each other, I mean.”
Hoya gently smiled.

The school day continued and their days passed by rather peacefully. It was now only two weeks before Christmas. The streets were covered in brightly colored lights and the lights seemed to be inside the hearts of most people around as well. The cold the month of December brought with it was a contributing factor for a handful of people to carry the sense of “Grinch” when being with them. Sungkyu and his friends were just the opposite though.

Hoya’s ankle had been fully healed, so he no longer needed to use crutches, yet the possibility of needing knee surgery sometime in the near future bothered him.  His doctor told him he might no longer be able to play baseball if he got surgery done on it, a cruel future. Yet, his friends comforted him. Their smiles brought him a type of peace.

On a snowy Wednesday, following school’s end, Nayeon asked Mina to go eat with her at the same Baskin Robbins they went the month before.

Sungkyu was without much cash and Hoya just didn’t want any, so although they overheard Nayeon’s plans, their mouth was shut. They opted to go play some games together at Hoya’s place.

Nayeon enthusiastically greeted the cashier, hoping Tzuyu would remember them and thus add a scoop or two for free at their order.

“Hello,” the employee said.

It was a guy, Nayeon’s vision had failed her. She felt embarrassed, regretting not taking up her mother’s offer on getting her eyes checked.

Nevertheless, Nayeon squinted to look at the employee’s nametag, “A scoop on the house for us two pretty girls….Sungyeol?”

“No dice, I’ve seen prettier,” the employee Sungyeol chuckled.

Tzuyu then entered the store, and Sungyeol’s gaze seem to follow her every step

“You like her?” Nayeon asked with her trademark smile, up to no good. “She’s my friend, Tzuyu. I can introduce you, if you want…”

Mina tugged on Nayeon’s sleeve, “Don’t lie, you barely know her…”

Nayeon hushed her. “Any person that gives me free stuff is a friend.”

Tzuyu put on her apron, and came to stand by Sungyeol as she tied up a ponytail, a marvel Sungyeol loved to indulge in.

Nayeon opened , “Sungyeol likes-“ She was interrupted by Sungyeol who covered .

“Shut up,” he whispered, “I’ll give you your stupid free scoop.”

Nayeon bit him slightly, irritated by his action.

“Ow!”

Tzuyu stared at the two, afterwards staring at Mina. “You friends?”

“We are now!” Nayeon said.

Tzuyu smiled, and Sungyeol took their order, adding the extra scoops as promised. Coming out of my paycheck! he thought to himself.

“I can’t believe you did that,” Mina chuckled.

“You should thank me and learn from me,” Nayeon answered with a dastardly smile.

The two sat down by the window again, leaving Nayeon a bit humored as she looked at the people suffering from the cold. Mina ate her frozen treat at a good, slow pace, while Nayeon gulped hers down. Again, Nayeon was left waiting for Mina to finish her ice cream. Nayeon stared at her, making Mina feel awkward.

She wanted to break the ice, “You want to buy some more?”

“No, I’m good. I don’t want to get too fat,” Nayeon replied.

Mina felt like teasing, tugging on Nayeon’s cheek, “You’re not that chubby.”

Nayeon pulled Mina’s hands away, “You think it’s cute?”

“Yeah…”

“Makes me look more like a bunny?” Nayeon whimsically laughed as she slouched on her seat.

“Yeah, your charm point,” Mina pointed at her moles, “like these.”

“Which one do you think Sungkyu likes more, your charm points or my chubby cheeks?”

Mina felt a tad embarrassed, “I don’t know…”

“How about Hoya,” Nayeon sat up.

Mina was slightly bemused, “How come you’re asking?”

“Why not? I mean, they’re guys. So they have a type, right?”

“I don’t know…”

Nayeon continued, “Which one do you like more? Hoya? The more popular and handsome one? You like him?”
Mina felt uneasy, letting out a weird smile, not knowing exactly how to respond, “I don’t know…”
 

“How about Sungkyu? You like him?”

“He’s a great friend…”

Nayeon smirked, “Just a friend and nothing more then, right?

“Yeah, I guess.”

Nayeon raised her brow, “You guess?”

Mina was bemused, feeling dizzy, “Yeah...”

Nayeon stretched out her arms and got off her seat. “That’s good to know. I want to have a date with him on Christmas. I didn’t want to overstep anything, so that’s good to know…”

Mina was still getting sure she heard everything right, “What? You can’t!”
“Can’t what?”

“Date him,”

“Why not?”

Mina realized what she just said, Why can’t she date him? she asked herself.

“Hello,” Nayeon waved at Mina’s flustered face, “Why can’t I?”
 

“Because, he spends that day with his dad.”
 

“His dad’ll be busy. My dad always throws a party for all his workers on Christmas, so he’ll be there, and Sunkgyu’ll be free,” Nayeon replied.

“What?!”

“Yeah, ‘sides, he’s just a friend right? I mean, he’s not even that handsome. He’s not that tall; his eyes are small; he kinda smells sometimes, like he doesn’t wash his hair often; I don’t think he’s got any abs…I can go on,” Nayeon answered with her mischievous smile.

Mina was now irritated, “He’s not like that!”

Nayeon was bewildered by her sudden response, gesturing at Mina where they were: in public. She approached Mina, whispering into her ear, “Hoya’s a better catch, you should date him and then maybe we can go on a double date or something later on.” She stepped back, “I’m sure he’ll love that.” Nayeon then poked at Mina’s side, “I’m sure you’ve noticed the way he looks at you.”

“What?!”

“Yeah, you go out with him, I take the consolation prize, and BAM happy ending!”

Mina stood stupefied at the slew of words that had come out of her friend’s mouth. Were they even words? Were they not venom? Was she really a friend?

Nayeon yawned and eventually left with a big grin, knowing she got what she wanted.

Mina was still standing when Tzuyu approached her and asked if everything was okay.

“Yeah, just a bit startled is all,” Mina replied.

Tzuyu gave out a smile and voucher, “Buy one, get one free. You can bring the Hoya guy you’re friend kept mentioning.”
 

Mina scoffed. “Yeah…”

Tzuyu kept smiling.

“Thanks for your offer,” Mina replied as she picked up her belongings and left for home.

 

That same day, Sungkyu had taken up on Hoya’s offer to play video games at his home.

“I stink dude, it’s not a fighting game when you can’t actually fight,” Sungkyu whined.

Hoya laughed, “You keep button mashing, noob!”

Sungkyu rubbed his chin, standing up with his eyes directed at Hoya’s game cabinet. “Any kart games? I’m good at those.”

“Nah, man. You never gave it back, and I forgot you borrowed them ‘till now.”

“Oh, you’re right! Whoops! That was four months ago, right?”

Sungkyu kept dawdling around Hoya’s room, his eyes peering everywhere in search of a game he could win at.

At that moment, Hoya decided to share what had been gnawing on his mind, “Sungkyu, you like any girl?”

“Well, I think this one singer’s pretty, nice smile and all, but I can’t remember her name.”
 

Hoya, sitting on the ground, grew a subtle smile, feeling amused at his friend’s response, “That’s not what I meant. I meant, like a girl in our class. You know, like Nayeon or Mina…You think they’re pretty?”
 

Sungkyu turned to look at Hoya, laughing a little, “Where that come from?” But he noticed a seriousness in Hoya’s eyes. It was a genuine question, he figured. He answered sincerely, “Yeah they’re two of the most beautiful girls I’ve met.”

Hoya interjected, “Yeah, right? They got great, big eyes, and grand smiles.”

Sungkyu nodded in agreement. “They’re great friends too! But, I can’t say I want any romance with them though...”

“We’re good as we are, huh?”

“Yeah!”

Hoya continued, “But if there’s a girl in our class I like… You think I should ask her out?”

Sungkyu thought about it only momentarily before answering with a grin, now filled with the temptation to tease his close friend. “Yeah, totally! But who is it?”

“That’s a secret,” Hoya responded.

There was a warmth in those three words, a warmth that resembled the feel of honey as it touches the tongue of those fortunate enough to have a taste. To Hoya, the person he had in mind while producing those three words represented a treasure he wanted to keep all for himself. Sungkyu could tell Hoya had earnest feelings toward that one lucky girl, wondering if he would ever feel that same way too.

Not now, he thought to himself, maybe later on, but I’m okay as I am now, with my friends and all.

Nightfall came without the two noticing and so Sungkyu was dropped off home by Hoya’s father.

At home, Sungkyu laid on his bed, pondering about the impending future that would come like a thief in the night once graduation day would hit. It got depressing to say the least, so he began thinking about the girl Hoya liked, Could she be prettier than Nayeon and Mina? For her to steal his heart? He laughed at the thought.

At school the next day, Thursday the 12th, Mina was paired up with Nayeon to complete a history assignment. She was still bewildered by what they had spoken about the day before, so she was more quiet than usual.

Nayeon noticed Mina’s quieter atmosphere, “You got cramps?” Nayeon mouthed.

Mina hesitantly nodded no.

When Friday the 13th came, it brought an even harsher coldness with it. Sungkyu had unfortunately not noticed his school alarm ring, cuddled up in the embrace of his warm blankets. He rushed for school after finally waking up and made it just in time before the tardy bell rang, meeting up with Hoya at the class door.

When lunch came, Nayeon stole Hoya’s seat, the seat next to Sungkyu,”Let me sit here today?” she asked him. It was a first that she’d never done before. Mina just looked at her with unbelieving eyes, Nayeon grinned at her. Hoya noticed a tension in the air between the two, but he was only glad to sit next to Mina.

“You want to try some of the food I made?” Nayeon asked Sungkyu.

Gyujiji was glad to hear her kind offer, quickly accepting, “Thanks I forgot to bring money for lunch and I didn’t bring anything to eat either.”

“I got some money you can borrow!” Mina insisted as she began to dig through her pocket.

“It’s alright, I made sure to make enough food,” Nayeon told her, “It must’ve been fate or something. Woman’s intuition?”

Mina stopped looking, “Okay…”

Hoya again felt something was up between the two, he could only guess what had happened between them. He wanted to cheer up Mina, “You want some chocolate?”

Mina accepted, “Thanks, I’ll eat it last.”

Hoya smiled.

Sungkyu started eating what Nayeon gave him, a sandwich. After finishing it up, Nayeon could not help but to keep staring at Sungkyu as he ate, in anticipation of his approval of it. She asked, “How was it?”
 

Sungkyu noticed a sparkle in Nayeon’s eye. She must’ve spent who knows how much time making something simple like this, yet she messed it up, he thought.

Nayeon kept staring, “Well?”

“I mean it was alright, but…”
“But what?”

“The bread, or the ham must’ve been stale…”
“What do you mean?” Nayeon asked with a concerned look, her brows furled up.

“Ahhh, it was bland and dry, I’m sorry.”
Nayeon’s bright look vanished.

“But, still. I’m more than grateful.”

Mina, without thinking much, offered Sungkyu the chocolate Hoya had gifted her, “To wash down your pallet.”
Hoya felt ticked and hurt, snatching the chocolate away from Sungyku’s grasp and immediately putting it in his mouth after ripping it out of its wrapper.

“What’s up with you?” Sungkyu laughed, “Still hungry?”

Mina was unable to realize the reason behind Hoya’s sudden actions. Her naiveté was a thing of beauty.

Nayeon knew why Hoya had done so. She stared at Mina with a bitter look.

“Got any milk?” Sungkyu asked Nayeon.

She scoffed, “Well, you’re shameless.” But she couldn’t help but smile at Sungkyu’s stupid inability to read her feelings. His naiveté, or rather the fact that he was stupidly dense was also a thing of beauty. “Here ya go, you could drink my left overs,” she told him.

Sungkyu let out a rather charming smile, one that carried a sincere sense of gratefulness.

Just before school ended, Hoya had told Sungkyu that he needed to talk with Mina about some problems he had been having in math class, so that when school came to a close, Hoya was left alone with Mina in the hallway as Sungkyu left with Naeyon.

Sungkyu’s pace to go home was rather quick. Nayeon was lagging behind, “Hey, slow down,” she told him. Together, then, they walked at leisurely pace as Sungkyu conceded to Nayeon’s request. It was a serene moment, interrupted only by cold winds, but Nayeon appreciated it nevertheless.

“You think he’s gonna ask her out?” Nayeon casually asked.

The question took Sungkyu by surprise, causing him to slip and fall.

Nayeon couldn’t help but laugh. She reached out her hand, and tucked her hair behind her ear with the other as she smiled upon Sungkyu.

Sungkyu’s heart beat harder than usual in that precise moment of time. He held onto Nayeon’s hand, noticing just how smaller, how softer it was than his; it was delicate and her knuckles were covered with cute baby fat, her nails were well kept, and her hand was warm, warm enough so that when he let go, the warmth lingered in his hand. His chest began to feel constricted.

“What’s wrong?” Nayeon smiled.

Sungkyu noticed her bright bunny teeth. They seemed cuter than usual. He was caught in the moment as he swallowed his spit.

“Well? You knock a few screws loose or something?” Nayeon jested.

Sungkyu shook his head, “I’m sorry, who’s asking who out?”

“Hoya, I think he finally decided to ask Mina out…”
“What?!”

“Yeah..Hopefully he lucks out. Mina’s an okay catch, you know.”
Sungkyu was tossed to and fro by the storm of emotions that came to perturb. “I thought he was just gonna ask for help with math.”

“Yeah, well he isn’t lying. I mean he probably needed help to solve the question of-“

Sungkyu interrupted in angry haste, sarcastically interjecting, “To solve the question of 1+1 or what?”

Nayeon was annoyed by his sass, “Yeah, in this case, 1+1 equals a couple.”
Sungkyu ran off to confront Hoya, but Nayeon chased after him. She tripped and Sungkyu was frustrated by her fall as he desperately wanted to stop Hoya, but he felt obliged to help Nayeon back up.

“You okay?” he asked.

“Yeah, but aren’t you ‘gonna help me out?”

Sungkyu took a deep sigh. He stretched out his hand, Nayeon held on firmly, and deciding to play the witch, pulled him down.

“What’s up with you?” Sungkyu felt angry as he fell to his knees.

In that moment Nayeon stole a kiss. Sungkyu sat, with his fingers now touching the spot where Nayeon’s lips had just touched the second before. The ticklish feeling still lingered as he rubbed his lip. He was unsure of how to respond. He was dumbfounded. Nayeon wasn’t, she knew what she wanted. But still, her face was blushing, a deep red hue was now coloring her cheeks. The once outspoken, devilish girl had been replaced with a girl too shy to even speak. The two sat in silence for a few minutes. Students who were passing by couldn’t help but stare and ask why they were seating in the cold.

Nayeon finally got up and left without saying anything.

Sungkyu scoffed, asking, Why? The all-asive question resounded through poor Sungkyu’s head that whole weekend.