(you could've been mine)

maybe in another life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Oh Sehun, ninth prince, has never been content with his life. Being the youngest and thus virtually, the last in line for the crown, he can’t help but think there has to be more in life. It isn’t enough that he’s from the Royal family or that he is known across the lands as one of the fiercest warriors in the Kingdom.

 

It’s never enough.

xxx

 

i.

As always, his father sends him to take care of a battle on the Eastern border. He is returning from a victory (always victories) when he they decide to make camp in the Kai forest. They are still a day away from the Palace but his men are tired so he allows it.  

 

The prince’s men are slumbering when Sehun finally decides to leave the confines of his tent and slowly tread through the forest, he doesn’t know what he’s looking for, only that he wants to be alone for once.

 

Miles away from his camp, he finds an entry to what looks like a small cave. Intrigued, he crouches down to push away the shrubbery when he hears a noise. Reflexively, he jumps back and is just quick enough to dodge a knife that would’ve planted itself into his chest.

 

An assassin.

 

He has enemies all over the land so he has no idea who it is and just pulls his weapon out. A sound draws his attention to the right and he spots a figure come out of the dark, wielding a sword that looked much too large for their body.

 

There are no words exchanged when the attacker comes forward, sword in hand, to attack the Prince.

 

The shock having worn off, Sehun instantly ducks under the attack and responds with his own jab. The assassin is a skilled one and runs up the tree to get some height and brings down his sword to try and land it on Sehun’s head.
 

 

His eyes widen when he realises that the assassin is tiny, his head barely reaching the middle of Sehun’s chest and his body looks like he hasn’t even hit puberty yet. The prince finds himself wondering just how low they can get by sending in children to do their dirty work.

 

Their weapons meet again and he’s frustrated when, despite the assailants small stature, he does not waver in his stance. Perhaps it was a requirement that all children know how to kill - it is not something Sehun particularly admires and he notices the dragon printed on the blade.

 

“You’re from the Dragon clan,” he points out loudly and reprimands himself for coming out alone. The Dragon clan are renowned for their fighting skills and are the biggest clan in the Kingdom.

 

The assassin does not respond.

 

“How pathetic, they send a runt to fight their battles,” he doesn’t usually engage in conversation mid-fight but it’s a blow to his ego that the Dragon clansmen would send what looks like a twelve year old to kill him.

 

“What is even more pathetic is that without your bodyguards, you’re barely better than a peasant boy with a stick,” the assassin sneers back and quicker than Sehun’s eyes can follow, his leg swings up and connects with his abdomen, successfully knocking the air out of his lungs. Sehun staggers back at the sudden impact and his attacker takes the opportunity to kick the weapon out of his hand so that it skids along the forest floor until it hits the base of the nearest tree.

 

“I didn’t come to assassinate you,” his words are muffled by the mask and Sehun has to strain his ears to catch the sentence.

 

“Did you trip and try to break your fall on my chest with your knife?” Incredulous, he scoffs back at the attacker’s obvious lie. The attacker sprints at the prince, but Sehun manages to dodge and roll over to pick his sword up again.

 

“I thought you were coming to attack me,” the clansman responds and although the reply is somewhat believable, seeing as Sehun was the first to attack, the prince pays it no mind.

 

Accustomed to the many lies spun by those out to kill him, Sehun doesn’t deign the liar a response and merely swings his sword again - this time, he manages to slice the attacker’s skin and he is rewarded with a pained hiss. Taking the momentary pause in their fight as an opening, Sehun rushes forward and with a mighty swing of his sword, the attacker is disarmed. Knowing that he is done for, Sehun’s opponent stumbles back until his back against the tree and he slides down, holding his injured arm.

 

“Now, let’s see who is brave enough to raise his sword against the Royal family,” Sehun leans forward and rips the mask away from his attacker.

 

What he sees almost makes him choke on his own spit.

 

“You’re - I - my apologies -” Sehun is at a loss for words as he stares at the woman leaning against the bark, her breathing laboured.

 

He feels like a fool. Now that she’s not trying to kill him, her has become obvious. The curve of her s, her feminine features and the high pitched frequency of her voice.

 

“Why the hell are you apologizing?” The woman - no, girl -  is not impressed with his gentlemanly response and is drawn into a flat line as she stares at him. He can’t seem to decide whether he’s more surprised by her foul language or by the way she doesn’t flinch when she rips the tiny blade out of her shoulder. He reaches out to stop the flow of blood but she angrily slaps his hand away, looking at offended at his concern. Using her mask as a makeshift bandage, she wraps it around her wound and stares at him angrily.

 

“I’m at your mercy, do with me what you will,” she is nonchalant despite her injury and somehow manages to stumble gracefully until she’s sitting by a tree.

 

“How old are you?” He questions immediately, sobering up at the sight of her bloody shoulder.

 

“None of your business,” she replies stiffly and rests her back against the tree, cautiously eyeing the weapon in his hand. “If you think you can get information out of me, you’re mistaken. Stop wasting your time and just kill me.”

 

“What are you doing out here?” He is taken aback by her anger and looks around them, it is certainly no place for someone like her.

 

“None of your business,” she snaps back shrewdly, seemingly unaffected by the piercing gaze he is giving her.

 

“As the prince of the -” Offended by her lack of respect, Sehun immediately begins to inform her of his status, having never met anyone so blatantly disrespectful.  

 

“Ninth Prince,” she laughs mockingly and he flinches at the reminder.

 

“You know who I am?”

 

“It is customary that all noble women know the royal family,” she tries to shrug but is rudely reminded that her shoulder is injured.

 

“... You’re the Dragon Heiress” he breathes after a few moments. The Dragon clan has always been outlandish in their customs but allowing their heiress engage in warfare was a step too far.

 

“That I am,” there is pride in her eyes despite her circumstance. “Will you kill me, Prince Sehun?”

 

“I have no interest in killing little girls,” he tells her honestly, lip curled back as he tries to understand what she must think of him if she thinks him capable of killing someone so young.

 

“I’m eighteen,” she replies sharply, her eyes burning with fierceness that he can’t help but admire. “And I certainly wasn’t a little girl when I was fighting you.”

 

He has no response to that, partly because it’s true but mostly because her fierce eyes seem to force him into silence.

 

“No, you weren’t,” he admits slowly. “But you are now. So, leave.”

 

“Excuse me?” She splutters, clearly shocked by his words.

 

“If what you said was true and you only attacked me out of self-defense, then I have no reason to kill you,” he sheathes his sword again and steps away from here so there is a large space between them.

 

“You…” She seems at a loss for words and he is glad. He bends down to pick up her sword and throws it back at her - and with much difficulty considering her arm, she catches it. She gives him a suspicious look and he folds his arms across his chest, hoping to assure her that he had no intention of killing her.

 

“Go,” he demands and this time, she does not hesitate. She slings her sword across her shoulder and gives him one last look before she disappears into the night.

 

xxx

Three nights later, she manages to infiltrate the palace and sneak into his quarters. He is both impressed and outraged.

 

“Here to kill me in my sleep?” He doesn’t raise his voice even though he knows that if he does, she’s as good as dead.

 

“Only a coward kills a man while he sleeps,” she narrows her eyes and he can tell she’s offended by his remark but he doesn’t feel any guilt. What does she expect when she is standing above him, dagger in hand and half her face half hidden behind a black mask?

 

“Three of my clansmen will be here in two hours to assassinate the second princess,” she informs him with a pained expression. Every word that leaves her lips is a betrayal to her family and he can hear the tremble in her voice.

 

“How do I know you’re not lying?” It’s a stupid question (there is no way she’d risk coming if she wasn’t certain) but he asks anyway.

 

“I have no interest in killing little girls,” she echoes his words from the previous night and it ignites and odd feeling in the Prince’s stomach. “Neither does my clan. The men coming are acting against our clan head but there was nothing he could do to stop them so....”

 

“Thank you,” he is sincere and he wonders what kind of women they bring up in Dragon clan.

 

“The guards… they’ll change shifts in a few moments,” he informs her quietly, drinking in the sight of her standing in the centre of his room, figure illuminated by the moonlight that crept in through his window.

 

“Can I at least have your name?” He asks after a few more moments. Unlike a few of his brothers, he has never bothered to remember any of the noble women in the country so her name has eluded him for the past days.

 

“... Lee Suhyun,” she responds calmly as she slowly makes her way to his window, spying the guards that stand below.

 

A thought strikes him as he watches her and he speaks up before he can stop himself.

 

“We could be … friends,” he suggests lowly and although it is not proper to offer friendship to a woman, she is no ordinary woman and it is difficult to deny a prince. “You … intrigue me.”

 

He has met her twice now but he wants more. Always wants more.

 

She doesn’t even consider it and has the audacity to throw her head back in laughter.

 

“Maybe in another life,” she snorts and he is torn between being embarrassed by her callous rejection and impressed by her boldness. The guards below his window change shifts and without saying goodbye, she slips out the frame.

 

The lingering scent of roses is the only evidence that she was ever even there.

 

ii.

There is no bloodshed the next time they meet. A full month has passed since she saved his sister and he crosses paths with her after returning from a summit in the West. As usual, he has snuck off from his guards (knowing they won’t notice his disappearance anyway) and donned casual wear, that of a lowborn, and found himself at a rowdy tavern.

 

Thoughts of the brash and wild girl have plagued his mind and when he sees her, slumped over the bench with a bottle in her hand, he thinks he is hallucinating. Without thinking (something that only ever happens when she is involved), he approaches her and slides into the seat across from her.

 

Upon his arrival, she looks up and it only takes a quick glance for her to know who he is. A grin reaches her lips and she polished off the last of her drink before slamming it down on her table.

 

“If it isn’t the almighty ninth prince,” she coos and he’s impressed with her ability to recognize him.

 

It is not difficult to tell by her flushed face and slightly clumsy manner that she is somewhat intoxicated.

 

“Lady Suhyun,” he greets her with a polite nod despite their unconventional meeting place and doesn’t remove his hood. It’s unlikely that anyone will recognize him but he does not wish to take that risk. “Have you been well?”

 

Etiquette requires her - a woman of noble upbringing - to respond affirmatively even if she hasn’t been well and then she is to ask him how his travels have fared. Not unexpectedly, she does neither.

 

“Not at all, my Prince,” her emphasis on his title makes it feel like she is mocking him but he says nothing. “I am tired and sore from my travels and want nothing more than to drown myself in mead.”

 

“I take it your travels have not been kind to you.”

 

“I suppose your appearance makes it bearable,” she sighs but there’s a smile playing at her lips.

 

“Oh?” He raises an amused eyebrow, anticipating her answer.

 

“Yes, you are very handsome and it certainly had made this dull trip more pleasant,” she compliments him and he’s annoyed when he feels his face heat up at her nonchalance. “Although you’d look more handsome with your hair tied up - perhaps you should invest in a ribbon.”

 

“You’re bold for a woman,” he notes and wonders if all non-royal women are like this. Judging by the stare she receives from the tavern wench, he doubts it.

 

“It’s a shame you’re incredibly boring,” she decides after a few more moments of travelling eyes and she settles back against the wooden table, leaning her chin against her arm.

 

“What brings you so far from your home?” His question is not meant to be answered honestly but Suhyun is always truthful so she responds with something that almost makes him choke on his drink.

 

“Finding allies,” she shrugs carefully before taking another hearty sip of her drink.

 

He freezes as her words sink in.

 

“You speak freely,” he whips his head around and is relieved to see that no one is listening in on their conversation.

 

“It’ll be known soon,” she replied with a callous shrug. “And I doubt you would kill me here so openly.”

 

“It is treason,” he reminds her as if she doesn’t already know.

 

“You can’t expect the people to remain under your father’s rule,” she snorts in an unladylike mother and somewhere in the back of Sehun’s mind, he muses that his mother would despise the girl sitting beside him. “He will drive the country into poverty because of his greed.”

 

“So your response is to rebel?” He fires back, not denying her claims. The King is rich beyond measure and wants to keep it that way.

 

“Would you rather I watched my people starve?” She shot back with steely eyes.

 

“They’re my people too,” he grits his teeth in anger and she immediately takes notice of his anger and a charming smile creeps onto her face.

 

“Of course,” she nods like she knows something he doesn’t and it infuriates him.

 

“You’ll really fight?” He can’t seem to let it go. Treason is one thing but to speak so openly about it and as if what she is doing is right is outrageous. “Against the throne?”

 

“It’s the right thing to do,” she tells him firmly and when she says it, it seems as if all previous drunken traces disappears from her face completely. “I do not engage in anything I believe is not right - I am sure you are well aware of that fact. And in my opinion, your father will bring our nation to ruin.”

 

The memory of their last meeting comes to mind and so he nods in agreement. Her statement makes him wonder about his own motivations behind his actions and he’s severely disappointed when he comes up blank. While her actions are always solely her own and aligned with her beliefs - his are always tied to what is expected of him and what is needed to be done in order to prove himself. The revelation brings a frown to his face and he decides that he no longer wants to discuss it.

 

“I have no interest in speaking about politics,” he changes the subject swiftly although he makes no comment about whether or not his father’s rule is just. Suhyun does not mind a change in conversation either and decides to ask a question that she thought of as soon as she had laid eyes on him.

 

“Why are you always away from your guard?” He briefly wonders if she’s asking him in order to plan some sort of assassination but then he remembers her words about honor and decides that she is not the type.

 

“They are not fond of my company.” That is an understatement.

 

“But you are oh-so-very pretty to look at it,” she teases playfully and he wonders if she is like this with everyone. A voice in the back of his head hopes that she isn’t; that she perhaps saves this playfulness only for him.

 

“I am also nothing but the youngest prince who does nothing but seek out war,” he responds blithely. “My main guards change every month - I oversee any violent uprisings so the people around me do not last long.”

 

“I see,” she nods in understanding and it is only when she brushes her hair out of her face does he remember that she is a lady.

 

“I apologize for speaking about such matters in your presence,” he and his brother never speak of war or violence in the presence of his sister or mother. They hate it.

 

“My delicate ears are accustomed to such talk,” she rolls her eyes and he notices the sarcasm dripping from her voice, with something akin to amusement.

 

“Still, I apologize, Lady Suhyun,” he tips his head forward but she merely rolled her eyes again.

 

“You may call me Suhyun.”

 

“It is improper,” he immediately rejects her suggestion with a shake of his head. Regardless of their surroundings, he is still a prince and she is still a lady.

 

“So is staring down my dress but that has not deterred you from doing so anyway,” she gestures lazily in his direction without breaking eye contact.

 

Sehun reels back as if he has been slapped. It isn’t his intention but he’s never seen a woman so comfortable in his presence and he can’t help but allow his eyes to wander.

 

“I - Lady Suhyun -” Sehun has never stuttered in his entire but it seems Suhyun has a knack for eliciting unnatural responses from him.

 

“Suhyun,” she corrects and there’s a glint in her eye that doesn’t sit well with the prince.

 

“I apologize… Suhyun,” he concedes after a few moments.

 

“You are forgiven, your highness,” she simpers sarcastically and Sehun muses that is a miracle that she hasn’t been killed.

 

“You may call me Sehun,” it is the first time he’s ever given anyone permission to do so (outside of his family) and he is disappointed when she fails to see the importance of it and merely shakes her head.

 

“I like calling you by your title,” she declares boldly and he knows from the finality in her tone that there is no chance that she will call him anything else.

 

“You know, there have been many rumours that the women from the Dragon clan are so fierce, they are able to breathe fire when angered,” he recalls one of the old stories he heard when he was at his mother’s knee.

 

“Do you think that is true?” She smiles, a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter