Valentine Baby

Valentine Baby
Valentine's Day. Oh, how Kim Minhyun hated that day. Why? Because all day, girls would bug her to do them a favor and give their gifts to her brother: Kim Minseok.
 
Minseok was a Physics teacher at the senior high department of her university. He would always refuse what girls tried to give him.
 
She sighed as she closed her notebook. Tomorrow was the 14th. She couldn't skip school 'cause she has a quiz on Thermodynamics. She couldn't risk her studies for anything. It was her third year in college, after all.
 
After two years -- make it three -- she'll be an engineer. No more Valentine's Day drama.
 
Someone knocked on her door.
 
"Minhyun-ah, it's time for dinner," it was her brother. Stretching, she huffed. She couldn't get angry at him, either.
It was all thanks to him that she was now studying in Seoul. Their parents didn't allow her, but Minseok was persistent and made them agree.
 
As she walked to the dining table, she shrugged. People knew the 14th as Valentine's Day. What could she do? It was there ever since she was born -- even before.
 
 
- -
 
 
"Kim Minhyun, give this to Professor Kim," one of her brother's admirers, Park Soyul, said as she put a box of chocolates on her table. It was lunch time and on normal days, Minhyun was ignored. But now, there was a line of girls who wanted her to give their gifts.
 
She nodded, putting the box to a bigger box she brought especially for that day. The cycle continued until before last period. The box was half her size, but the contents were heavy.
 
As she reached the school gates, she put the box down. It was too heavy. She tried to catch her breathe. It was very tiring.
 
"Minhyun-noona.." someone tapped her back. She recognized the deep voice. It was Park Chanyeol: a second year who attends Linear Algebra on her class as an advanced subject. "On your way home?"
 
She nodded. The tall but young man lifted the box and grinned.
 
"Some things never change," he said as he began walking. She smiled as she walked after him
Some things really never change, she thought as she remembered the first time the younger helped her when she was in third year senior high. For the past five years, she had been spending the final hours of Valentine's Day with him.
 
But within those five years, she never had the guts to give him chocolate.
 
 
- -
 
 
"Thanks again, Chanyeol-ah," she said as she made the tall man sit on their couch. "I'll get you something to drink."
 
She saw him smile before she went to the kitchen. When she came back, though, it was her brother sitting on the couch. Chanyeol was nowhere in sight.
 
"He said he forgot something and will be back in a few."
 
"Don't you have class?" She quirked an eyebrow. He chuckled.
 
"It's Friday. I don't have a class for last period. Did you already forget?" He grinned, making her roll her eyes playfully.
 
"You just wanted the chocolate," she put the glass on the table and sat down next to her brother. She pushed the big box towards him. She heard Minseok sigh.
 
"You can reject them, you know, " he said. He stood up and picked up the box. "I'll make something for you and Chanyeol to eat. Go get dressed," he said as he headed to the kitchen, not forgetting the glass of orange juice she brought.
 
Confused, she trudged to her room.
 
Why get changed?
 
 
- -
 
 
When she got downstairs, the scent of chocolate was lingering in the air. She smiled as she walked to the kitchen. Then, she heard voices.
 
"Thanks a lot, Minseok-hyung."
 
Chanyeol's back, she thought.
 
"Of course. Ever since the first time, I knew. I wanted to thank you. Valentine's Day had always been dreadful to her. It was painful to see my sister suffering on her own birthday," she heard her brother sigh. "I'm glad you were always there, managing to make her smile."
 
She bit her lip as tears threatened to fall from her eyes. He really did remember.
 
"You like her, don't you?"
 
"Ever since the first time.."
 
What?
 
"I knew it."
 
She breathed deeply before walking in wih a small smile. "Chanyeol-ah, you're back!"
 
He grinned. Why did he have to be so cute?
 
Minseok turned off the stove and lifted the pan, pouring the melted chocolate on the mold. He didn't like chocolate, but he knew his sister did.
 
He put it in the freezer and turned to the two. "Let it cool for 30 minutes, then you can eat," he smiled before leaving.
 
She sat down in opposite the tall man and asked, "why'd you leave?"
 
"I had to get something from Baekhyun's house," he said. She remembered Byun Baekhyun: her neighbor, and Chanyeol's best friend. It was because Baekhyun lived next to her house that Chanyeol helped her years back.
 
"You're lucky he lives close by," she chuckled, but noticed Chanyeol's serious expression.
 
"Noona," he started. "I.. I really like you." He hung his head, making it seem as if the non-existent patterns on the table were interesting. "I know, you told me I was your dongsaeng. But you're barely nine months older. I shouldn't even be calling you 'noona' at all," he sighed, then looked up to meet her eyes.
 
He pulled out a white rose hidded under the table and gave it to her. Minhyun was speechless, yet at the same time, she recognized the white rose Baekhyun's mom grew in their green house.
 
"In other countries, it's the male who gives gifts on Valentine's Day. But that would be wierd here. And... and I know it's your birthday, but I'm the one who wants something from you," he said and reached for her hand on the table. "Date me."
 
 
- -
 
 
It was 7 PM when Chanyeol left, giving her one last hug before heading towards Baekhyun's house -- he said he was sleeping over.
 
As she closed the door, she saw her brother by the staircase with a playful grin. "Happy birthday," he walked towards her and patted her head.
 
"You told him," she pouted.
 
"What? Can't I play cupid to make my sister happy?" He pouted. She sighed. "So, was I successful?"
 
Rolling her eyes, she nodded. Minseok pumped his fist in he air, "yes!"
 
She giggled. Suddenly her phone rang and she ran upstairs. "Thank you, Minseok-oppa!" She shouted.
 
He chuckled.
 
"Anything for my dongsaeng."