Family

The Moment My Heart Beats

“The tea here is delicious,” Minho sunbae commented as the girl on the counter handed him two milk teas.

What is this guy thinking? I really can't understand him.

"Here. Take this. It's my payback." he handed me a dark-choco flavored milk tea. "I'm sorry about yesterday. People kept on chasing me that day that I was so tired and thirsty that's why when I saw you holding a cup of milk tea, I couldn't help but drink it. Maybe it's what we call, necessities of survival? Hehe." he joked as he lighlty scratched his head.

"I-It's fine. You already bought me one." I replied, still confused and awkward.

"Oh right, is your home near here? Can you go home alone this late? I couldn't accompany you because I have a meeting to attend to."
"Actually, I'm not going home yet. Ms. Kang wants me to join the council meeting this day."

"Really? Then, by chance, are you that Sulli?" he asked in shock.

"Yes, nice to meet you."

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Choi Minho, you're late." Ms Kang commented as Minho sunbae entered the room.

"Sorry, Ms Kang. But don't be angry, I already finished the plans for the athletic meet. All we need to do is to execute it." he replied then gave a thumbs up. "Anyways, I have someone with me here. Come inside." Minho sunbae called.

I slowly went inside the room.

"Oh, Sulli, you're here. Come!" Ms Kang commanded. I feel everyone else's gaze is at me.

"Oh, isn't she the milk tea girl?" I heard Kibum sunbae asked Yuri sunbae.

"Oh, you're right. So she's Sulli." replied Yuri sunbae, acknowledging Kibum sunbae's comment.

"Everyone, this is Sulli, she'll be replacing Eun Soo while she's receiving her health treatment. Come here in front, Sulli and greet everyone."

I went in front, everyone was gazing at me. I felt so nervous.

"Good day, I'm Sulli, your temporary financial manager." I bowed as I greeted. Then I heard a popping sound, at my surprise, confetti's were all over the room.

"WELCOME TO THE FAMILYY!" they all shouted. I was so surprised. What is this? Why are they so welcoming? I became speechless.

"Sulli dongsaeng are you alright? You seemed to be too surprised." Kibum sunbae said as he patted by shoulder.

"Sulli, there's no need to be too touched. Here, take this." Yuri-sunbae handed me a bracelet made of shoelaces.

"What's this?" I asked.

"A welcome gift. Everyone has one. It means you're part of the council family." A beautiful boyish girl replied as she showed her own bracelet. "Oh right, I haven't introduced myself, I'm Amber. I'm the same year as you."

"Nice to meet you." I replied.

"I'll introduce you to everyone." Ms. Kang suggested. "The guy beside Amber is Lee Taemin. He's also the same year as you. Next to him is Kim Jonghyun, he's in Minho's and Yuri's class. Beside him is Son Na Eun. She's the secretary, and in the same year as you. The other one is Lee Jinki, he's in senior year too. And I believe you already met Minho and Yuri."

"Nice to meet you all." I said, still in shock of their welcoming spirit. I kept staring at the bracelet.

"Alright, now let's start the meeting." Ms. Kang suggested.

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Good work, everyone! We can all go home now!" Minho sunbae said as we started tidying our things. 

"Minho, shouldn't we visit Eun Soo today?" Jinki sunbae suggested.

"Oh right, I almost forgot. Everyone tidy up faster, let's visit pay her a visit." Minho sunbae replied. "Sulli, come with us too."

"B-but I.."

"No buts, let's go." Kibum sunbae suddenly grabbed my arm and dragged me. I'll never get used to them dragging me.

"Kajaa!" everyone yelled.

____________________________________________________________

"I'm sorry, but she needs to rest for a while, and she needs to be quarantined until she recovered fully." the nurse strongly stated then left.

"What to do? She may be too bored inside." Jonghyun sunbae commented.

"It's a pity. She really hates days like this. Lying on a hospital bed and having no one to talk to." Yuri sunbae seconded.

"Don't be sad,  guys. Why don't we just write her a letter and ask the nurse to give it to her." Minho sunbae suggested.

"Oh, that's a good idea, hyung!" Taemin exclaimed as they gave each other a high five. "Faster, let's write."

"Sulli, you can write one too." Na Eun suggested at me, smiling.

Everyone was so serious in writing their letters. Watching them, I can really feel their close relationships with each other. It's really like a family. I can see come of them evern drawing chibi figures on their letters, telling Eun Soo to cheer up, to not give up, to get well soon. I can feel the walls I built around myself slowly wanting to break. It was like, I had the desire to be part of their family.

"Sulli, why are you still staring, you can try writing one. Eun Soo will like it." Minho-sunbae said as he lightly patted my head.

Everyone of us finished writing, then Minho-sunbae collected it and asked the nurse. We saw him giving a thumbs up towards us when the nurse agreed. Everyone smiled heartily. So this is what friendship is like.

Then I felt it, my heart beating fast again. This time, it was beating with joy, wanting to be part of this family.

_______________________________________________________________

"Keep safe everyone! See you tomorrow!" Amber, Jonghyun sunbae and Jinki sunbae was shouting as they left.

The others have left already, it was only I, Lee Taemin and Minho sunbae.

"How about you guys? Aren't you going home?" Minho sunbae asked us.

"I'll be taking the bus to the station near here." Lee Taemin replied.

"How about you?" Minho sunbae asked me. 

"I'll be walking home. My home is near this area."

"Can you go alone?" Lee Taemin asked.

"Yes, I'm used to walking home. So, I'm going first. See you tomorrow!" I said as I waved good bye to others.

__________________________________________________________

Those people are really nice. I thought as I was walking home. But I still am worried to open myself up to them whenever I remember what happend to me and my past friends. I am still anxious. I stopped in front of the tree near my house a little bit.

But then, I felt something strange. It seems that someone was following me. I can hear footsteps behind me. 

I continued walking, then the person behind me kept on walking too. I stopped a little, then the footsteps I heard stopped.

Is there really someone behind me? I tried looking a bit behind me, and I saw a bit of a shadow.

Omo, Sulli. Don't panic, keep calm. Find your cellphone so that you can easily call the police whatever happens. I was trying to get my phone out of my pocket.

"Sulli?!" a familiar voice called. Wait. I heard this voice before. Don't tell me... I looked behind and saw a familiar figure walking towards me. The lamp post slowly lighted his face as he walked closer.

"Minho sunbae?"