The First Time

The Moment My Heart Beats

It has been seven years, but it doesn't seem to be that long when I felt my heartbeat raced faster than it usually does. That was the moment that my hand became as cold as ice while my cheeks was so warm that I thought it would explode. My mind kept warning my heart to slow down, but the more it turned wild as it kept beating faster and faster. My eyes were focused on one thing - him. That was the first time, and he was the only person who was able to do it, Choi Minho.

Actually, there was nothing special about him. He is not the typical protagonist of a drama who has a brilliant mind, a perfect face and a rich family. No. He was just an average person. But again, when he smiles, it was the moment when I would feel that nerve-wrecking heartbeat.

I clearly remember the first time it happened. It was back in Senior Highschool. He was my sunbae (senior) back then. I am a gullibe simple-minded girl, always putting my heart above my head. So simple minded that I could not cope up with reality. I ended up being bullied, without me noticing. Back then, I was willing to be made fun of, just to make my so-called friends laugh; willing to give a portion of my allowance for my so-called friends "needs"; willing to give what I can to make them smile.

Until one day, I heard my "friends" talking behind my back, telling each other how simple-minded I was; on how they could trick me on doing what they want. That was my first heart break. It was so painful that I couldn't even cry. I became speechless. I felt my heart froze. It was the first time that I came to know of the reality, that the world is not filled with people as simple-minded as I am.

From that day on, I became timid. I started building walls, afraid of making friends and breaking my heart again. I thought, "It's nice to have my private space." I don't haveto deal with anyone. I can be myself. I can do what I love. I don't have to consider anyone.

That moment, my life became a routine. Wake up, go to school, eat lunch alone, buy my favorite milk tea and walk home while enjoying my drink. It went on and I was fine with it. But one day, someone broke my solitude...

I was walking home, holding a cup of milk tea that I still haven't taken a sip. Then I heard someone calling me as he ran towards me...

"Hey! Dongsaeng (junior)! Wait!"

I stopped. Who was it? I didn't have time to look back, because he already was in front of me. Then suddenly, to my surprise, he took the first sip of my favorite milk tea that I was holding.

"It was delicious. Thank you! I'll pay you back the next time we meet!" he said, smiling, his eyes glowing brightly. Then he ran away.

I froze for a moment. I really didn't know what shook me the most. Was it because some strange sunbae took the first sip of my favorite drink? Or was it because it was the first time I heard someone told me the words "Thank you" sincerely with a bright smile?

"Yah! Choi Minho!" a girl who was my senior shouted towards the guy. Then that girl approached me. "Hey, I'm sorry for what he did. are you alright? don't mind him that much. He was just like that. So carefree and careless. Don't worry, I'll beat him up as soon as I catch that guy." the girl continued, then went back chasing that guy.

I was still frozen. I couldn't do anything but to look at my milk tea. Because that time, I felt it. I felt that nerve-wrecking feeling. Choi Minho wasn't it? Yes, it was him who made me feel this way. It was the first time.