chapter three

Practicum for Entertainment

     This was it. Today was your first day, and honestly? You hoped that you were fluent enough in basic Korean along with knowing your key words pertaining to your training. You heard of one guy learning Korean in 1 month and some others learning it in 3 months. You weren't feeling so hot in that aspect. 

     Plus, you already had a month beforehand to study Korean and it helped that you watched all those Korean shows so you learned more about the culture and the slang and the... swearing. 

     Exo Showtime helped get you into kpop a bit more and so you had a connection with your friends back home. But there were also other variety shows with celebrities that you also became a fan of, such as the main hosts of Running Man and who they brought on for guests. The hide and seek tag name ripping was a classic. Especially the Big Bang special. So to sum it up, you knew of the foreign celebrities and which ones were from your home country, or were close to it.

     Of course a foreigner like you was sure to be nervous. There was already the special circumstance that you knew half the language. But you were also being put to work under others. 

     JYP was a big company so you felt you had to be the best. Wonder Girls toured with the Jonas Brothers when you were a child so that put a bit of perspective on how prestigious entertainment companies were; like JYP.  

     You were lucky to be dropped off at the building. Transit was hell with the maps and subways and you were sure to get lost if you didn't understand it... which you didn't.

     Being in front of this building you could see some fans wandering around. The ID?! Did you have it? Did you forget it? You patted yourself all around and almost had a heart attack until you remembered the lanyard was in your backpack. Yeet, there it is. 

     Time to walk in, see the receptionist and hopefully all goes well from that point.

     "Um, hi.... I'm here to see this, for training." you showed the ID and schedule to her and her eyes flashed in recognition. 

     "Room 309. upstairs, upstairs!" She flashed 3 fingers to which you assumed meant 3rd floor. 

     The way she said it in a rush was like you were late for it and that set off your anxiety. You could already feel the anxiousness behind your ribs and in your gut. Do you want to go in now? Or ditch. Ditch and come back tomorrow saying you were sick?

     Wait, wait, wait. 

     Wait. Stop, calm, breathe, think. 

     You knew what time it was and arrived earlier. Let's see if that's true. Quickly checking the time and your phone to add reassurance to this new thought; you were right. It's okay, it's alright. Nothing bad has happened yet. Haaah, you were safe.

     While you were freaking out mentally the other half of your mind went on auto pilot and carried you all the way up the stairs to the awaiting closed door. 

     This was a make it or break it moment. First impressions were always important. Your hand knocked on the door 3 times and awaited a response.

     The man who opened it looked familiar, you almost forgot to bow and introduce yourself due to trying to find out his identity. You had a couple guesses as he bowed back and led you inside the room to meet the rest of the team. It was all just a mixture of bowing and handshakes before introductions started.

     Some seemed a little curious but after introducing yourself they relaxed. As a student you were just a kid to them.

     "Here, sit. We're still waiting for someone else."

     "O-okay. Thank you." If I'm too timid they could use that against me—

     "—Hey, everyone! Oh, the student." The man stuck his hand out to shake yours. His whole body language and voice itself was relaxed with no worries. 

     "I'm JYP. If you do a good job... then who knows about what will happen in the future. Perhaps I'll hire you or NAIVE will." While he laughed at his little joke you were internally screaming. You really did get to meet a celebrity! 

     "Okay!" He clapped his hands, "now that introductions are done, let's do this. I want TWICE's debut to be perfect." Then he turned to face you. 

     "I'm aware of what your program is about and I'm sorry you weren't there for the filming and only getting to see the second half of production which is editing the footage with the music. Though I hope NAIVE is willing to also show you the photo cards and the thought process going into this and the theme. Who knows, you might meet the debut group since we also have to get their thoughts as well.... In any case, I hope you get the learning opportunities you need to continue further." 

     He was really considerate towards you which you really liked. He has gained a more positive image in your mind, though you will always keep your mind open in case things get out. What really caught your attention was that they would debut and you could meet them. Imagine if they knew they could have a supporter from day one? You wanted them to feel positive and anxiety free. But also friends. That was a main goal, to expand connections. You wanted to make friends while you were here. Jae In was a friend but he had a little brother vibe and there wasn't much you had in common except for games really. 

     So besides Jae In... You really had no friends here,not even with the other students who came with you on your program. Depressing. You did know multiple people but you had no niche in their group of friends so you just floated around. But hey, at least it meant you were able to easily get along with almost everyone.

     "Let's do a quick run down with what I want this concept to be and look like just for a reminder. With TWICE, I want them to display innocence and youth for their debut while also being quirky. I want you to accentuate and emphasize mostly on them for their solos and when its all of them singing, to pan in on the choreo of the group. But I also want you to also include the snippets of the background and setting they're in for that quirkiness. Of course TWICE is the main focus."

    He walked past you all as he left the room. "I'll come back later to check."

      "Thanks for the warning!"

      You could hear his laugh at the quip of a NAIVE member before the door shut. 

      "Alright, student, y/n, we'll do our regular thing today and you can just watch. But we'll do it slowly and explain our thought process and we'll show you how to edit as well."

      He seemed to be thinking and then added something more that interested you. "TWICE will be practicing in the dance room today. I'll tell you where that is in case we need them. Right now we're editing the final bits of the MV. Photo cards are already made."

      He pulled a chair closer to the one he was sitting on. "Here. It's okay to sit. Now look at this screen and my edits. What do you see?" 

      "Uhhh. Blonde girl lifting her leg and the other trying to copy it. The camera mostly had their faces but zoomed out to see the bigger picture."

      "Yes, but also the filter chosen helps the video. Since its zombie themed it has a bit of a supposed dark tone. But having a bright filter helps the girl's skin glow and so there's contrast. It's like watching a happy film but it's full of awkward spaces in the film that are supposed to be funny but add a grey filter and those awkward spaces just stay awkward. 

      ... Okay you could understand the gist of what he was getting at.

      "Just let her visit TWICE so she doesn't go like 'blonde girl, short hair girl, pig tail girl, because that's gonna be confusing. It's not like this is really important to her. She's mostly a design student for sets."

      Thank you so much, I'm so grateful. You really wanted to see the group. Kim Young-Jo sighed and muttered a 'fine'. Before telling you the directions and letting you go.

      Once you were out of that door you started power walking while fixing your hair and checking if your clothes looked fine and rubbed a finger by your lips to check if there were any crumbs.

      Okay to go. Let's get this show on the road. 

      The instructions led you all the way to the dance practice room. This is it. I'm gonna try my best to encourage them. Make them happy because they worked hard.

      You knocked and waited for someone to open it. The door had a little window but it didn't help much as the glass was made to look blurry and fogged.

      "Yes..?"

      "Hi! Um.. Is it alright to come in.?" An angel soon opened the door, long dark hair, nice figure. Legs you wish you had. Dewy skin you wish you also had. Even in training clothes she looked good. 

      "Of course!" She opened the door a little wider and you passed through. They were all beautiful. Even the one with short hair who seemed tomboyish had a lot of feminine charm.

      A lot of them were just staring back wondering why you interrupted and who you were. Introductions seemed in order to calm the confusion.

      "I'm a student here under the art direction team. I'll be floating around from company to company. I'm Y/N and I'm from Canada." Some of their eyes brightened to hear you were a foreigner. Maybe this group had foreigners too? 

      "I want to visit Canada. It seems so nice and pretty." She has a cute smile... And the pink tips helped show off her outgoing personality. "I'm Dahyun."

      "I'm Jihyo the leader of the debuting group." She was the one that opened the door... Maybe that's why she opened it for you, because she was the leader. The brave one.

      "Y/n is a nice name. I'm the visual, Tzuyu, a foreigner as well." Tall, lean, cute; a foreign comrade. 

      "I'm Momo and this is Sana, we're both from Japan." The Foreigner squad is growing. You did notice Momo seemed shy when introducing herself and Sana to you, but damn if they weren't cute. Nice round faces and beautiful smiles. They were— ugh– this whole group was beautiful. And the introductions weren't even done yet. But all nine were stunning, but even so, some of them seemed really thin to you.

      "And I'm Mina." she gave you a bright smile and wave. She had character, and a confident smile. 'Goddamn gimme some of that confidence.'

      Chaeyoung and Jeongyeon went next. They both had short hair and you found Jeongyeon's voice nice to listen to. 

      "Finally, I am Nayeon though I think Tzuyu should have gone last since she's the maknae."

      "1,2,3... One in a million, hello! We are TWICE!" Nice introduction... Watch you forget all their names in 5-10 minutes. 

      Or now...

      "Everyone can take a break from choreo. I need your thoughts anyways." You were about to say "you guys" but that would have been too casual.

      Some nodded and waited for you to continue. You felt a little embarrassed with all their stares on you.

      "How would you like to appear in the MV? Like what would you prefer when it comes to editing?" It was important to make sure they liked their MV as well.

      They stared at each other then at Jihyo to speak because they had no idea and were not used to this as a new and upcoming group. "Oh! Um, as long as our image comes out as JYP intends it to be, we'll be satisfied with that."

      "Good answer, good answer!" Dahyun clapped for her. She was smiling since she didn't have to answer but to also give Jihyo more confidence with speaking.

      "So to sum it up from what JYP wants... Cool and fun imagery. No weird or ugly edits?" That was like the basis of every MV.

      "Yes!"

      "Alright, uh thanks. Oh,and I promise to be your first fan. I know you all are working hard and are excited to debut. It's probably nerve wracking on how the country will take to you. At least know you'll have some random being on your side. Well, I gotta go." Time to make a quick exit from saying such embarrassing words. You didn't know how they felt about you saying all that.

      "Wait, you can stay for 10 more minutes right?" After the kindness you have showed them for around 5 minutes, such as trying to create an air of comfort to relax them and saying such nice things; they wanted to spend a bit more time with you.

      "But your practice-"

      "You can join us for a bit."

      "I mean..." You weren't much of a dancer even if you wanted to be, so this might be fun. "Alright I guess."

      Jeongyeon and the rest smiled. "Great! Teaching you will help us as well."

      Oh, that's right, it might help them to remember it. And also helping you to delay going back to the team. Aight. You could work with this. Dancing with masterminds.

      It only took 30 seconds for you to give up.

      "A-ah wait, I don't think I can move my hips well. I'm dead. No dancer here." You tried the beginning part which was swiveling but, no... your body disagreed. 

      "Y/N-ssi, it takes practice. As long as you can memorize it for now that's fine!" Mina you're so kind-!

      But it was also easy for them to say, you weren't pursuing a career in dance... If you did then your parents would kick you out since they didn't see it as profitable. They were only nice to you if you were their puppet and living out your mom's dreams for her; especially since she didn't graduate university. Even what you were doing now was a stretch.

      "Y/N is fine... No honorifics necessary. I'm used to it anyway. I would also like to grow closer with you all, no walls needed!" You had no friends in Korea so why not try to make some?

      All of them looked touched at your words, they also felt like they could learn from you as well; especially with culture. Tzuyu was just happy she didn't have to call someone 'Unnie'. 

      During the time you spent with them, Dahyun and Tzuyu would wrap their arms around your shoulders and wanted you to take pictures with them since they didn't have phones on them. Tzuyu was a bit more shy, but you were just happy to be accepted by nine pretty girls. It really sent a whirlwind of warmth through you. They even made you download some face filter apps with the cute animal designs. The other's joined in too when they were on their water break. Of course there was some light teasing with your strong pronunciation, but they complemented your grammar. That built up your confidence.

      For fun you did try to go up to Momo and Sana to show them your very basic Japanese. Sana tilted her head curiously while listening intently and smiling while Momo broke into a small grin. They looked delighted that you were trying to make an effort with them and gave you some pointers.

      Jihyo the attentive leader she was pointed out something kind of crucial. "Y/N, I think you should head back now. Its been around 15-20 minutes, also JYP is coming by to evaluate us soon. But let's grab lunch when get a break!"

      You were ready to cry tears. Your mind right now was. Hdkskskakslpdjj.
"Alright! See you then! I'm also here tomorrow."

      You all waved bye. And you headed back to your crew. My crew... Sweet.

      "Hey, Welcome back! I hope you have a lot to contribute since you were gone for quite awhile." He smiled but it felt like it was meant to stab you. This was a test. But the pressure...

      "I do!" Time to show off your ability of speaking out of your !

      "Of course TWICE was very complacent with the concept JYP had. So they want their quirky and cute side to show through more, but they don't to look weird or have ugly editing." 

      You paused thinking a bit more. "Since NAIVE's style is following the movement and zooms. I guess TWICE doesn't want it to look jerky or blurry?" You didn't want to sound like a know it all or die so this was the best you could do.

      "Impressive. That's good. Just leave the editing to us since you're supposed to do set design anyway. But we can tell you why we emphasize on certain points. Designers and production teams have to work hand in hand." 

      Thank you Seung-woo-ssi for taking it easy on me!

      Young-jo nodded. "So just watch us doing pro work. We work for JYP a lot so we know his style."

      So they already know what is needed... They just sent you to get experience as a newbie...? Or because of something else? Whatever. 

      You spent the next few hours watching them edit as they explained to you. They kind of used the same editors those pro amv youtubers used. 

      What time was it now. You started at 9:00 am and now it's 12:30 pm.

      Seung-woo stretched. "Lunch time! We'll show you where the cafe is." 

Hopefully your new friends will be there, but also if they are... That would be a big coincidence. 

      Lo and behold you arrived and some people were using it. But what caught your eyes was Twice. It looked like they just finished eating and were just chatting. Empty plates and trays piled in the center of their table. NAIVE left you to your own devices, so you caught eyes with TWICE as they waved you over. Soon another voice interrupted you on your way to them. "Hey!"

      You looked over and it was some skinny guy with glasses sitting with his friends. You quickly looked behind you then pointed to yourself in disbelief. Me?

      He nodded and waved you over well the rest of the guys watched. Sweats nervously. This was embarrassing, you felt slight pressure too from the stares. The guy then started speaking English, "So... You a foreigner? Where are you from?"

      "Uh Canada...

      "Oh chill, I'm from LA." His posture relaxed in his seat. Everyone else was trying to translate the conversation.

      "I'm from Vancouver." 

      "Do you know who I am?"

      "No?"

      "Okay, get out." You let out a gasp of surprise. Your face looked somewhat offended but also with disbelief. Of course you were just teasing back but he did surprise you. You then started walking back to TWICE who were watching the interaction intently.

      "ANYWAYS FOLLOW JAE6 ON TWITTER.Stop trying to sell your brand, dude.

      You took a quick glance back and some other guy waved with a small "bye~" before some bigger guy slapped his arm to stop waving.

      "Do you know what you want to eat?" Nayeon asked, pushing aside what just happened.

      "I haven't checked yet."

      "I'll help you pick!"

      "Thank you... Unnie?" 

    Nayeon giggled, your mannerisms were cute and your features were pretty. "Now, tell Unnie what you like!" 

      "Noodles, sushi, not really into innards or seafood except tuna and crab."

      "Rice noodles then... Hong Kong style. It's really good with soy and peanut butter sauce. And, hm." Her lips pouted in thought. "Vegetable stir fry?"

      Sounds good to you. You trusted her decision. Nodding, she gave the order to one of the ladies. You went back with your hot plate to the rest of them.

      "You have an email?" Chaeyoung asked.

      "I-I do!"

      "Pass it." They wanted to keep in touch?!?? Lucky. You were blessed. 

      You gave them a slip with your info that Jihyo stuffed in her pocket. 

      The rest of the time they let you eat and sometimes watched which you were embarrassed by enough to turn around with your plate and face away while eating. Or else you would laugh out of nervousness. 

      Overall it went well with them asking questions and pronunciation on some English words. You stumbled sometimes, and other times your accent got in the way. 

      You left with NAIVE feeling like you life was fulfilled in some way, while they went back to practicing while talking about you. You were cute to them. 

      You headed home at 4 after the check in with JYP (nothing but good things!) and arrived at 6 after getting lost in transit until an auntie helped you out. That was actually scary. Jsjsska. I thought I would have to stay overnight at the station or something. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Unknown: Let's have another good day tomorrow!


OMAKE:

      Dowoon nudged Jae when he saw the foreigner. 

      "Dude, what. Oh. Okay, drum." He might as well see if you knew them and play around a bit. It wasn't everyday that this happened. 

      Maybe he'd ask you who was the most attractive out of them, for fun. Besides, somehow you caught TWICE's attention; his soon to be junior group. So why were you here? Stylist or something? Whatever. 

      Wonpil started practicing his English and aegyo. "Hi~."

      Young K. slapped his forehead, they were gonna scare her.

      JYP was full of idols who were a mess.