Invisible Assistance (Pt. 2)

Superflowers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was really a strange feeling, thought Jihyo, as she stared at the floor through the air, where her normally visible hand should have been.

She felt… light. So much that when she jumped in the air, she half-expected to float away like a balloon, or at least come down slower than usual. It didn’t seem to be the case though, as her unseen feet touched the ground with an usual thud.

“… Wow.” Feeling at a loss for words, she settled with a simple exclamation.

“The way I see it, you don’t hate the feeling.” From somewhere in the void space beside her came Sana’s amused voice.

“It’s… out of this world, to say the least. I never thought you don’t even see yourself in this state. How do you even do things?”

“It comes with experience I guess.” Jihyo could almost see the nonchalant shrug of Sana’s shoulders.

After a few fascinating experiments with touching and handling random things, Jihyo decided she had a good grasp of how to maneuver herself around without detection. The trick was- according Sana- to wear socks, and to always walk on tiptoe. Talented as she was, she could not deceive the ears.

“Alright, let’s go.”

“Just make sure we stay in touch.” Sana reminded helpfully. “It will be quite disastrous if you suddenly show up in Jeong’s room from thin air, and she knows you’re spying on her.”

“The way you put it suddenly makes me lose my will, Sana-yah.”

“No takesies-backsies! Let’s go!”

____

Zealous as they were during preplanning, the duo completely overlooked the logistics side of their little operation. Specifically, how Jeongyeon and Momo often locked their door as soon as they got inside.

As it stood, Sana and Jihyo stood invisibly crestfallen in front of said door, neither having any idea how to proceed.

Then their gaze inevitably drifted to the balcony on the right, which- upon inspection, was revealed to be right next to the room’s open window.

The only problem was, they were separated by a distance of roughly two meters, and the only passage was a foot-wide ledge that looked straight down to their lawn a story below.

While a fall from this height was not statistically lethal, the notion of falling down from the second floor and breaking some bones was by no means tempting, especially for idols whose schedules barely ever left them with a full day of rest.

Alas, neither of them was particularly afraid of heights, so the thought of retreat barely made them bat an eye. In a silent agreement, they took turns stepping out of the balcony and edging their way towards the bedroom window.

“This starts to feel like an adventure, doesn’t it?” Sana’s tone was excited and conspiratorial.

When they reached the window and secured their footing, they heard a groan coming from inside. Both halting in their steps, they stared in horror at the general direction from which the sound came.

They can’t be doing… this and that… can they? erted thoughts ran through their heads as they peered, inch by inch, through the glass window, almost afraid of what they would behold.

To their relief, Momo was merely sitting on a bedside chair, looking at Jeongyeon who was curled into a fetal position on the bed. She occasionally twisted and turned while clutching her stomach, and Momo would reach out and wipe the sweat-soaked hair from her face. Whatever relief Jihyo and Sana were enjoying almost immediately turned into worry, since the short-haired girl was obviously in pain.

But… judging by how calm Momo was being, it couldn’t be any accident or disease… in that case, then it must be…

Jihyo let out an audible sigh. They were all girls after all, she knew all too well what Jeongyeon was going through. In retrospect, she should have anticipated this earlier; Jeongyeon-unnie was never the type to have irregular outbursts, so her spontaneous combustion was actually quite a clear sign of her… periodical suffering.

With the new knowledge in mind, Jihyo glanced back to the balcony, intent on going back to safety. But then, she caught sight of her hand.

Her visible hand.

Out of pure shock, Jihyo lost hold on the railing, and with that, her footing as well. She desperately flailed, but there was nothing around her to grab on. She tried to shout, but the sound no longer seemed to come from her body- there was someone yelling something, but she could not tell who or what.

So Jihyo just let it go. ‘Eyes, look your last,’ she thought peacefully as she relaxed her body, awaiting inevitable demise as she fell through the air…

… Straight into the waiting arms of the maknae, who barely had to bend her knees as she caught an already praying Jihyo with next to no effort.

Still in near-death daze, Jihyo could just make out the outline of a beautiful face, before the blurring stabilized and she found herself staring into an intense onyx eyes of an angel.

In a woozy attempt to make sure she was not high up in heavens, Jihyo reached up, and sure enough, the tip of her fingers graced the silent goddess’s warm, soft, velvety skin.

“Wow, so angels DO fall from the sky.” The ‘goddess’ joked in an inappropriately deadpan voice.

And just like that, the magic faded. They were back on Earth, and the goddess turned back to Tzuyu.

Feeling a bit calmer now that she was certain about her own living state, Jihyo gulped a lungful of air, something she’d never before found so precious.

“I’m… not dead?”

“No you’re not. I’m here.” Tzuyu replied calmly, her voice doing miracles in rejuvenating the stunned leader. “Why did you suddenly jump from the balcony, Jihyo-unnie?”

“I um…” Jihyo took a moment to reassess her situation. She was visible again after she let go of Sana’s hand. The girl was, of course, nowhere to be seen, either still keeping her balance on that edge, or already retreated. Thinking back, she must have lost touch with Sana some time during their sneaking about. Luckily, the girls inside were too preoccupied to take notice then.

“… I was reading a fan letter up there, then it flew from my grip. I reached out to catch it and lost my footing. Silly me.” She slowly lied. Luckily, Tzuyu did not seem to doubt, as she reached up with one hand and lightly knocked on Jihyo’s head as a form of reproach, all the while able to hold the older girl firmly with the other.

“Stupid unnie. What would we do if you had injured yourself? Lucky for you, I heard Sana-unnie call my name and I looked up just in time.” Tzuyu jumped right at the chance. It was uncommon for Tzuyu to act like the mature one, and she would not let this go easily.

“I know, that was really careless of me. I owe you my life Tzuyu-ah.” Letting her feet thankfully touch the ground, Jihyo tiptoed to give the giddy Tzuyu a kiss on the cheek. She did not forget to hug her waist tightly. “My hero.”
____

After a while of tearful ‘I’m sorry’ and ‘it’s okay’, Sana and Jihyo got back to the topic at hand.

“So… Did you see what was going on in there?” Jihyo asked, referring to the events that transpired prior to her accident.

“Nae… At least now we know why she lashed out at you earlier.” Answered Sana, apparently on the same page. They sat there for a while motionlessly with pensive looks, heads resting on palms, both wondering what to do.

Sana felt a sudden urge to steal a kiss, or at least poke that taunting squishy cheek just to sate her incorrigible touchy-feely side, but thought better of it since her leader was obviously deep in thought.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter