Chapter 3 - Touch

I see you

"I suggest we start with the research immediately, tomorrow is Saturday so I'll be off from work. I'm kind of excited right now but I guess I should go to sleep so we can get up early and use the time wisely.... Wait a minute, you don't sleep, do you?" 


Chanyeol was amused by Baekhyun's enthusiasm, his whole face was lit up and his eyes sparkled while talking about their plan to find out more about him. "No, I don't," he chuckled. "I actually enjoy the night time a lot, the tranquility that comes with it. This might sound weird but one thing that's really cool is that I'm not afraid of heights anymore, I used to be terrified! So now, when night time comes I often go to high bridges or buildings, sit there without any fear, and enjoy the view of all the lights sparkling in the dark. It looks so pretty and relaxes me."


Baekhyun smiled listening to the other one's soothing voice. "Good night, Chanyeol. I'll see you in the morning."


"Good night, Baekhyun. Sleep well."

 

 


Baekhyun was tossing and turning in his bed, he was so excited about finally having found out something about the others. He drifted away and fell asleep while thinking of their plans in anticipation what the next day might bring.

 

 


Baekhyun woke up early in the morning with a smile on his face. Finally something was happening in his life and he couldn't wait to get started. He put on some clothes and rushed out of his bedroom to see if the other was still there. Chanyeol was sitting in the living room on the couch reading a book. 
"Good morning! Hope you slept well? It's still early," he greeted him with a bright smile.


"Good morning to you, too. I couldn't wait to get up to be honest. I'll just eat something for breakfast real quick and then we can go."


He moved to the small kitchen, which was connected to the living room, and warmed up some left overs from the night before.
"You must really like mistery novels, you have so many!" 


"Well, I actually started reading all kinds of supernatural and ghost stories because I was looking for clues about the others."


"Clues in fiction?"


Baekhyun laughed. "Yes, I guess I just wanted to read about things I can relate to plus the books are really addicting."


"So, Mr. bookworm, do you already have an idea what we'll be doing today?"


"Mmmh, kind of. But I have to ask you a couple of questions first. I guess  the best thing would be if I could talk to someone who knew you. Who were you close to?"


"I had a best friend, his name is Kyungsoo. But what do you want to tell him - that you see ghosts including me?!"


Baekhyun laughed out loud. "No, genius, of course I won't, duh. Something along the lines of me being an old friend of yours."


"Oh! Yeah, that could actually work. I spent my childhood in Busan before we moved here so you could say you know me from back then," the taller replied, his ears were turning slightly red from embarassment.


"Great! Do you remember everything about him?"


"Yes, he can't be part of the reason why I'm still around. I check up on him from time to time. He still comes to my grave a lot and talks to me. I'm happy that he didn't forget me but it also makes me sad to be standing right next to him, listening and not being able to respond or hug him."


Baekhyun was silent thinking about the other had just said.


"I didn't want to depress you, Baekhyun."


"No, it's not that. But what do you mean by you can't hug him?"


"I can't touch him, I tried but it doesn't work. I can touch and pick up objects, like the book I read earlier, but no human being."


"Wait a minute though... this is weird. I mean it's been a while since I interacted with the others but I can clearly remember playing with that auntie when I was kid, hugging her, walking hand in hand with her. I don't remember if I ever touched anybody else but I know that I could touch her. She always used to ruffle my hair."


Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun with his eyes wide open. Slowly he moved his right arm across the table. His hand was hovering above Baekhyun's but he hesitated to try touching him. Baekhyun understood that he must be somehow scared so he made the first move and grabbed his hand.


Chanyeol couldn't believe it and chuckled nervously. He could feel Baekhyun's hand, he took his other hand as well and carefully brushed the skin with featherlight touches first, then more firmly.


"I... I can't believe it! How is this even happening? I don't understand it."


Baekhyun just smiled softly at the boy in front him. "I don't know, maybe because I can see you too?!"


Tears were welling up in Chanyeol's eyes. Clearly, he was really emotional about feeling the smaller's warm skin, it was the first human touch he felt after his death. "Whatever it is, Baekhyun, you must be really special," he whispered.


Baekhyun withdrew one of his hands picking up the fork with it to continue eating but didn't let go of the other one. Chanyeol was probably not the only one who longed for the comfort of somebody's touch.

 

 

 

It was noon when they arrived in front of the best friend's apartment building ringing Kyungsoo's doorbell. 


"Hello?" they heard over the intercome.


"Hello, am I speaking to Doh Kyungsoo?"


"Yes, and you are?"


"My name is Byun Baekhyun. I'm sorry to be disturbing you. I'm a childhood friend of Park Chanyeol, I..."


"Come in, it's the second floor."


"That was easier than I thought," Baekhyun said with a bright smile to the other.

 

 

 


"Sorry, I wasn't expecting anybody," Kyungsoo apologized when he let him (them) in. 


"That's just an excuse, he's always messy," Chanyeol said which almost made Baekhyun chuckle.


"Oh no, I'm sorry for just invading like this out of the blue. See, I just moved to Seoul recently and I just wanted to meet Chanyeol's best friend."


"How do you know about me?"


"From his family."


"Strange, Mrs. Park didn't mention it when I spoke to her yesterday."


"Say that Yoora told you, she's my sister," the taller said to Baekhyun who did as he was told.


"Ah, I see," Kyungsoo replied. "I can't recall Chanyeol mentioning your name."


"Well, we lost touch when he moved here and I regret it. I just found out about what happened to him recently. And now I'm curious what was he like after he left Busan. "


"Mmmmh, I guess I understand. Chanyeol and I met at school, I think it was 5 years ago. At first I found him annoying, I was rather introverted and he just kept talking to me, a lot, and following me around," Kyungsoo smiled recalling their first encounters. "I don't even know why to be honest. But I warmed up to him really quickly, I had no other choice but like that giant goofball."


Chanyeol huffed jokingly like he was upset about the description.


"I found out quickly that he was someone I could trust and surpringly he was a great listener," he explained fondly.


"Sounds like him," Baekhyun replied with a smile. "Did he have many friends?"


"Well, he was quite a social butterfly, he was getting along with pretty much anybody. But it was mostly the two of us hanging out. We spent a lot of weekends here playing video games and stuffing ourselves with junk food." 


"Did he have a girlfriend?"


"No, Chanyeol was popular with the ladies but he was gay. He didn't have a boyfriend. Before he passed away he hung out with this guy from time to time but I don't think he liked him in that way. Gosh, what was his name again... Sehun? Right, it was Oh Sehun."


"Baekhyun, I think we can go now," Chanyeol said, which surprised Baekhyun.


"Kyungsoo, thank you for telling me about him. I have to leave now but maybe, if you don't mind, we could meet another time and talk some more?"


"Sure. It was nice meeting you. Next time you can tell me how about his childhood, I'd love to hear how bratty he was."


Both chuckled and traded phone numbers before he (they) left.

 

 

 

They waited till they arrived at Baekhyun's home to talk as they didn't want to attract any unwanted attention.


"Chanyeol, what is it, what made you want to leave so quickly?"


"I think we got our first clue, Baekhyun. I don't remember a guy called Oh Sehun."

 

 

 

 

A/N 
Hello, it's been a while! I will update this story more regulary now. Hope you enjoy it and I'm looking forward to your opinions and thoughts on this. Any feedback is welcome! ^^