Chapter 1 - I see you

I see you

Baekhyun was sitting on the train, with his head leaned against the window, trying to ignore the commotion around him. 


"So loud," he mumbled to himself. His phone's battery was dead so he wasn't able to listen to music and block out all the noise. The train was pretty empty as it was late in the evening but "the others" were there. 


As a kid he had painfully realized that there were people his parents or friends couldn't see. At first, his parents thought it was a not so unusual phase in which kids make up invisible friends they play with. After some time though they were annoyed with Baekhyun and told him to stop lying about it. 


His friends at school also didn't believe him. In the beginning, since they were kids themselves, they played along and acted as if they could see the others as well but as time passed by they figured that Baekhyun is a lying creep. And there he was, all alone. He stopped mentioning the others to people, in fact he stopped talking to people at all. 


The others looked like normal people. At one point, he had come to the conclusion that they were ghosts but he wasn't really sure about it - they didn't look creepy like he would have imagined the dead ones to be. The last time he had spoken to one of the others was during his elementary school days, at a time when he still thought he wasn't the only one to see them. But when he stopped talking to real people, he also stopped talking to them and started ignoring them, acting like he couldn't hear or see them. 


During his teenage years, he tried to investigate about the others and tried to find somebody like himself, who could also see. The closest thing to his reality would be a mystery novel, which was fiction of course.


At the age of 15, he once skipped school and made his way to Seoul, by himself, with all the pocket money he had saved up. There were actually a lot of people on the internet claiming to be just like him. This was the first time though he tried to meet someone who was supposed to be like him. She was a medium / fortune teller and allegedly helped people and communicated with ghosts. Since she made a living with it, she had to tell the truth, right? Don't blame Baekhyun for his naivety, he couldn't know better due to the lack of interaction with people, he didn't know how many scammers were out there.


His heart was beating so fast when he showed up to the appointment with the elderly lady and, first things first, gave her all of his money. He wanted to ask her so many questions about the others, about his ability and what he should do with it. Thanks to his shyness though he didn't mention it immediately, he let the lady lead the conversation.


You could almost hear his heart break when he realized that she didn't see the others who were with them in the room. The lady told him that ghosts often don't show themselves immediately and that he would need to come back to her so they could try summoning them again. 


The boy held back his tears, grabbed his things and before he made it out the door he turned around facing the scammer for the last time. 


"So you really don't see them?! But they are standing right behind you."


It sent shivers down the lady's spine, especially the boy's expression when he said it.

 

 

 

Now, at the age of 19, he lived in Seoul. He left his parents' house a year ago and moved into a small cheap apartment. He worked at a library and whenever he had time he looked for older books that maybe would contain some information he couldn't find on the internet.


And here he was, on the train, trying not to pay attention to the others and their conversations. He had a terrible headache and just wanted to get home.


Usually the others don't pay attention to the real people, especially not grown ups. From time to time they experienced kids to be able to see them but it was very rare and they seemed to lose the ability when they grew older. Since Baekhyun also acted like he didn't see them, they didn't know that he seemed to be special.


One of the others though was carefully watching Baekhyun now. He caught his attention when he complained about the noise earlier. There was nobody from the real world sitting close to Baekhyun so was there a possibility that this guy could hear or see them?


He was curious about it and decided to follow him when he got off the train, keeping some distance to observe him. He followed him inside but even after some time he saw no signs of Baekhyun acknowledging his presence. 


Of course Baekhyun noticed the other one, it was very rare that someone would actually show up at his home. It had happened from time to time at his parents' house but this was the first time at his apartment. He had a theory that they preferred more crowded or public places for one reason or the other. He wasn't sure though, how could he even be as there seemed to be no way to learn about the others.


What surprised him was that this particular other one seemed to watch him, even follow him the next day to work and again back home. That was a first for him, too. 

The other one didn't know if he was wasting his time, maybe he had heard wrong after all and had jumped to the wrong conclusion. Then again, time didn't have any significance for him so he decided to stay and watch for a little longer. He could have actually tried saying something to him, to see if he would get any reaction from it, but it was more exciting to him to look for more clues and let the situation unfold itself.


On the third day, Baekhyun didn't know what to do anymore. He wasn't scared but being followed wasn't comfortable either. He was having dinner, sitting at the small kitchen table with the other one on the opposite side watching him.


He had just finished his dinner but didn't get up yet, staring now at the empty bowl in front of him. He took a deep breath, lifted his head slowly and stared right into the other's eyes who seemed to be startled by it.


Seconds passed which seemed more like minutes until Baekhyun spoke to one of the others for the very first time in years.


"I see you."