Ch5.2

Family Complex
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mina stared at the ceiling while she's lying in bed. She needed to adjust her sleeping habits to her current work schedule which was from 11:00pm to 7:00am. She did every chore around the house and she's still not tired enough to be passed out. 

She doesn't even understand why there's even such a shift at a library. Sure, the library she works at is a huge place and they have several staff members on their roster. It was the size of a decently funded museum but even museums are closed to the public at night. 

It's not like books were in trend or people are going crazy for them. Maybe it's a culture thing? South Korea does prioritize academics so much that the government banned students from playing at certain hours. In fact, you need to enter your social security number so they could check if you're a minor or not just to play video games.

Apparently, they have a black market of stolen social security numbers just for video games. The lengths of a true gamer had to go through. 

She looked at her left and came face to face with her gaming desktop, her most prized possession. It was just there, sitting forlornly; waiting patiently. Mina has been holding out on playing games for days. Both her roommates were busy leaving her most the time alone at their apartment since she has the most flexible schedule.

It wasn't a regular nine-to-five job but it keeps her financially afloat with a little bit of extra for spending on her luxuries. Mina isn't exactly a compulsive buyer nor impulsive spender but when she wants something? It's guaranteed to be expensive.

She groaned and sat up. Mina wouldn't get a wink of sleep by thinking about expenses. She still has a lot of time to kill until Sana gets back from school. Might as well do something you love doing than force yourself to sleep.

Mina sighed as she sat down on her chair. She hasn't played any videogames in days, her gamer heart was aching from withdrawals. She decided to play her favorite MOBA game and clicked on the icon of her desktop.

She logged in her username and password, and was immediately greeted by a pop-up chat. It's from an online friend. In this particular game, Mina belonged to a group with four other girls. She hasn't met them personally but they sound crazy in their own individual ways.

She read the message and saw that it was from Lisa, the maknae of their little group. She's apparently a high school senior. Lisa plays as the jungler, she doesn't like sticking to one lane and enjoys messing with the opponent team's synergy.

Limario: vc?

There was another prompt asking for voice chat, Mina clicked "OK" and the younger one's energetic voice could be heard. "Mina unnie, what's up? What's up?"

Minari: "Hey, Lisa."

Limario: "Long time no see, unnie."

It was a bit odd to see Lisa's the only one online. It was the weekends and other three are usually climbing ranks. "Where's everyone?"

Limario: "I honestly don't know, I haven't seen anybody online for a week now."

Minari: "Maybe they're busy with, you know, life?"

Limario: "You make it sound like I have no life outside of videogames!"

Mina giggled, she could practically hear the younger pouting.

Limario: "Oh wait, Jisoo unnie's been busy..."

Jisoo, their mage, is probably the weirdest one out of all of them. She likes to make word plays and would randomly start impromptu singing in the middle of the match. Despite her randomness, Jisoo's charmingly clever and likes to make strategies.

"Oh?" Now she's intrigued. No matter how busy Jisoo might be she always makes time to play videogames. It was her way to unwind stress, as the older girl said herself.

Minari: "Didn't she get a new teaching job? What's she teaching anyway?"

Limario: "PE... but that's not what I'm talking about! Jisoo has a girlfriend now and I heard she's hot!"

Mina

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter