FINAL

First Day at School
Please log in to read the full chapter

First Day at School

Conversations in italics are spoken in English while the rest are in Korean.

 

“The wheels on the bus go round and round…” A young boy sang as one of his little hand grasped onto her hand, the other hugging a kitten stuffed toy ¾ his height. His little feet had to take 2 steps trying to catch up with his mother’s footsteps. Fox-like eyes wide open as he tries to take in the unfamiliar environment around him. He was still adapting to the environment where people spoke Korean, instead of the usual familiar English. He would stare blankly when passing strangers cooed at him in Korean, only breaking into a tiny smile after 3 seconds of processing whatever was spoken. His parents had always spoke Korean to him at home, not wanting him to lose and forget his roots. It just took him longer to process since he spent more time in school speaking and hearing English.

 

Today was his 3rd day back in Seoul, his parents’ hometown, after having been born in the States 5 years ago. His parents made this tough decision of moving back to Korea after much contemplation, and needless to say, the toughest part was convincing their child, Jeon Wonwoo. Their eldest son was used to the culture, language and environment in the States. His introverted personality made it harder to him to adapt to new environments. They had to bribe Wonwoo with promises of new toys, a new big bedroom and extended TV time.

 

“Honey, remember that children here speak Korean okay? They wouldn’t understand you if you speak in English, so let’s try to speak in Korean. Do you remember your Korean name?” His mother spoke slowly, knowing that Wonwoo tend to just ignore the question if someone spoke too fast in his mother tongue.

 

“My name is Wayne!” Wonwoo grinned, eyes folding into little slits.

 

“Your Korean name, honey! Wayne is your English name.” His mother looked down at her son, worried that he might have forgotten whatever they have went through together the night before.

 

“Jeon…Wonwoo? My. Name. Is. Jeon. Wonwoo!” Wonwoo made sure to enunciate every word properly, pausing after each word. His smile from earlier widened, stretching from ear to ear upon seeing how happy and satisfied his mother was when he managed to speak a complete sentence in Korean.

 

 

 

“Alright baby. Here we are!” Wonwoo’s mother waved her arms around, laughing out loud when Wonwoo started clinging onto her leg, digging his face into her thighs.

 

“Hey~ Baby…remember what you promised me this morning? You said you would go to school like a good boy would. Come on…kitty would there with you so you don’t have to be afraid.” Wonwoo’s mother ran her fingers through his tousled black strands. The thought of being in an unfamiliar environment without his mother simply scared him. No one would explain things to him in English when he couldn’t understand and everyone would give him weird looks if he spoke English.

 

“No…no school no school…” Wonwoo’s eyes started welling up and he shook his head reluctantly.

 

“Hello! You must be Wonwoo! I’m Teacher Joshua! All your new friends are waiting for you inside. Shall we go in together?” A young man with deer-like features greeted, bending down to Wonwoo’s level. This aroused Wonwoo’s interest. His new teacher could speak English!

 

“Look Wonnie, Teacher Joshua can speak English. You can tell him anything you need when you’re in school okay? Mum needs to go work. I’ll bring you out for cheeseburger after school. How’s that?” Wonwoo’s mother gave him a kiss on his forehead, smiling when her little boy nodded his head, wiping away his tears. He had a tight grip on her shirt as she gave him a last hug, wanting to lengthen his last contact with her. You can do this…Mummy will be here to bring me home as soon as she finishes work…

 

“Let’s say goodbye to mummy okay? We’ll see her when school ends!” Joshua held his hand out for Wonwoo to hold on to.

 

“I love you…I love you too Joonie~” Wonwoo kissed his mother’s little bump, waving as she stepped out of the school gates. 

 

“Is Joonie your sister?” Joshua asked Wonwoo, wanting to create a small conversation so as to help the new kid feel comfortable. Although kids of Wonwoo’s age are usually long past the attachment phase, it was afterall a new environment which may overwhelm the boy.

 

“Yes! I named her. Jeon Joonie.” Wonwoo beamed, his fear and uncertainty dissipated completely. He loved talking about his family, people he loved. Wonwoo was trying his best to speak Korean, but he couldn’t help mixing a few phrases of English here and there.

 

“Morning Teacher Joshie! Look! Daddy bought me a new pair of batman shoes!” A little boy greeted from behind Wonwoo, his little canines poking out as he waved his arms enthusiastically.

 

“Morning Mingyu! Wow! That’s a nice pair of shoes…I wished my dad bought me those too!” Joshua laughed when Mingyu giggled, putting his batman shoes away on the shoe rack.

 

“Wonwoo, this is Mingyu, one of your new friends in class! Although you’re 5 years old, you’ll be with the 4 year olds because the things you learn back in the States are different from here okay?” Joshua explained in English, knowing how confused Wonwoo would be if he spoke in Korean. Wonwoo nodded even though he didn’t really understand, holding his kitten closer to his chest.

 

“Mingyu, this is Wonwoo! It’s his first day in school so he is a little scared. Can you be a nice friend and take care of him?” Joshua asked, waving for the boy to come over.

 

“Yes Teacher Joshie! Hello! My name is Kim Mingyu and I’m 4 years old! You look cute! And so is your little kitten!” Mingyu squealed, patting Wonwoo’s toy.

 

“No! Don’t touch!” Wonwoo screamed, running away from Mingyu, huffing as he crossed his arms angrily. He glared at the other boy, putting up a strong stance, a clear sign that he wanted him to stay away.

 

“Teacher Joshie…he’s not being friendly…he’s not sharing. But you said that nice children share toys…he is naughty…he even shouted at Mingyu…” Mingyu pouted, looking up at Joshua with his adorable puppy eyes as he covered his ears with both hands.

 

“Mingyu…we do not use the word naughty. Remember? Yes, I did say that nice children share. But did you ask Wonwoo for permission?” Joshua asked gently, breaking into a small smile when Mingyu winced, realizing his mistake.

 

“Oopsie…hehehe…” Mingyu grinned sheepishly, scratching his head as a blush creeped onto his cheeks. Joshua nodded his head in Wonwoo’s direction, encouraging Mingyu to apologize.

 

“Sorry? We can share my oreos later during break!” Mingyu pulled out his container of oreos, shaking them in front of Wonwoo’s eyes.

 

“O-Oreos?” Wonwoo’s eyes moved from the box of snacks to Joshua, back and forth several times.

                                                                                  

“If Mingyu wants to share his oreos, then you boys can eat them together during break. So, will you forgive Mingyu?” Joshua tilted his head as he asked the question, waiting for Wonwoo’s response.

 

“Okay…” Wonwoo nodded his head, eyes stuck to the box of snacks. Only for the oreos…

 

“Teacher Joshie…why are you speaking in English?” Mingyu asked curiously. He knew it was English his teacher was speaking because the children had short little English lessons with Joshua whenever they had free time. But he was truly confused as to why his teacher spoke English to Wonwoo when the boy looked exactly like he did, a Korean?

 

“Ah…that’s a good question. I’ll tell you the answer later once we get settled down with the rest of our friends okay? Now let’s go!” Joshua held both hands out, walking towards their class where Wonwoo got introduced to where his cubby hole was, and where everything else was.

 

“Alrighty~ Can my little puppies all gather in our circle with our cushions now? Teacher Joshie has something really really important to tell you guys!” Joshua whispered, trying to catch the attention of his 4-year-olds. He sat on his chair as the children gathered around him in a circle, already seated on their coloured cushions. All except Wonwoo and Mingyu.

 

“Here! You can have my favourite cushion! And you can sit next to me!” Mingyu offered the red cushion he was holding on hand. Wonwoo blinked his eyes before turning away like nothing happened, grabbing a blue cushion from the stack as he settled at the furthest side of the circle. Mingyu frowned, rejection was something he wasn’t used to. In fact, it never happened to him before. All the kids in his class loved him, and they would gladly share their things with him and want to sit next to him. Wonwoo was one special kid.

 

Joshua waved for Wonwoo to stand next to him, ready to introduce him to the class. He had a warm smile on, seeming to encourage Wonwoo to lessen his tension.

 

“So! We have a

Please log in to read the full chapter