Chapter two

Gentle souls

“We should buy a disco ball!” Exclaimed Sana, slamming down her hand on the kitchen counter and startling Dahyun so much the latter spilt her orange juice. The younger girl rolled her eyes at the other’s idea and swept passed her to get something to clean up the mess. 

“How much are they,” she asked anyway. She wasn’t completely sold on the idea, (a little less than she would have been if Sana didn’t cause such chaos as she suggested it), but Sana deserved a chance to argue her point. 

“Twenty dollars! Not too out of out budget, right? Think of it as a decoration with a purpose. When we’re not using it it will be a great conversation starter but when we’re in the mood we can throw ourselves our own disco! Isn’t that a great idea?” Dahyun chuckled at her friends excitement. Sana always finds a use for things in her own little way. 

“Sana, no one is going to visit us nevermind start a conversation about a disco ball.” Although Dahyun is the youngest she likes to think she’s the most responsible. Only slightly though. So that’s why she tries to be strict with Sana. If neither of them were in control they’d probably be homeless within a month and dead within two. Yet putting on a strong face and saying no to her friend isn’t the easiest. Each pleading look The latter throws at her threatens to rip away all the rationality she has. Dahyun hates how Sana has that effect on her. 

“Oh come on, Dahyunnie. Wouldn’t dancing with me be fun?” The brunette retaliates, poking the other girls arm and pouting her lip. Typical Sana. But it catches Dahyun off guard nevertheless. Her sensibility crumbling around her. Her mind fogging with the though of Sana moving along to the beat of a cliche 80’s love song. Speckles of light twinkling across the walls. She caves in and let’s the girl order it. 

 



 

It arrives six days later and of course Sana forces Dahyun to help her put it up. Since she’s significantly shorter than older girl she gave her the job of reading the instructions while she does all the handy work, (Sana prefers being in control). It took longer to do then they both expected,  maybe also more than it was meant to thanks to there lack of cooperation, but soon enough they stepped back and took it in with all its glory. 

“How do we make it shine?” 

“Didn’t it say on the instructions?” Replies Sana, smiling with pride at her possibly new favourite possession. 

“No.” 

The girls stared in silence for a few seconds. Basking in their stupidity of ordering a disco ball without an idea of how they actually work. And then, as of it was scripted, they both bursted into laugher. Grabbing hold of each of in the middle of it all and ultimately ending up as a tangled mess of limbs on the floor. 

 

“It looks kinda cute from down here I guess,” sighed Sana as she caught her breathe after their hysterical break out. The younger girls squinted her eyes in concentration at the ball and took it in for a second. 

“It’s a statement,” she concluded. She turned her head to look at the other girl and smiled, trying to express the words she’s too scared to say aloud- You’re cuter. Sana didn’t meet her gaze. She stayed focused on the ball.

“Did it say it spun in the instructions?” She  muttered with a slight air of anxiety in her voice. The younger girls attention was suddenly all on the disco ball again, mainly how it was beginning to slowly turn above them. 

“I don’t think so.” 

The girls hands found each other and clasped together. Dahyun could feel the was Sana was unsettled in her grip. But their eyes were stuck to the movement of the ball. Dahyun knew the same thing was racing through both of their heads. The moment drew out for what felt like forever, the sphere picking up speed and became shaky as it twirled. The pounding in the pair’s chests filled the silent room. Then the ball froze in the midst of its spin. Sana’s grip tightened around Dahyun’s small hands. The latter’s words got caught in . 

 

Sana’s voice shattered the tension in the air.

“Dahyun, I think I believe in ghosts.”