Chapter one

Gentle souls

“Sana! Stop eating ice cream and help me unpack these boxes,” scolded Dahyun, glaring at the older girl leaning against the kitchen counter with a spoon clasped between her lips and a half-melted tub of ice cream cradled in her arm like a baby.  

“It’s going to melt if I don’t.” 

“You wouldn’t have to worry about that if you the freezer like I asked.” Sana sighed in defeat and slide off the counter top. The spoon hanging from and a trickle of ice cream rolling down her chin. She squeezed between the mountains of boxes yet to be unpacked and dove behind the freezer to find the switch.  

“You’re cute when you eat ice cream,” muttered the younger girl, following Sana’s path towards the freezer with a box of kitchenware in her arms.  

“Really?” Gasped the Sana, reappearing from behind the freezer and meeting Dahyun's eyes, the spoon still stuck in .  

“Yeah, but you’re even cuter when you work.” Sana rolled her eyes but smiled back at Dahyun, well as best as she could with a spoon lodged in . Dahyun places her box on the kitchen side and reached forward to take the spoon away before Sana breaks a tooth.  

  

Sana is probably the clumsiest girl Dahyun's ever met and not your average klutz she’s more unpredictable. Maybe her spontaneous nature is what drew Dahyun in. Spontaneity is something that Dahyun feels like she lacks in life, ever since she was young she’d rigorously planned out her entire life: go to school, graduate from school, go to college to study dentistry (not the most thrilling but Dahyun's parents didn’t allow her to do much else), graduate college (top of the class of course), step into a stable career, find a man and fall in love, get married, have two children, live to the age of 92 and die in your bed surrounded by your family. But then Sana came along. She crashed into her life (quite literally, the incident involved a bike going at full speed and one bed ridden Dahyun) and tore up her image of a simple life. After getting to know Sana Dahyun learnt that life can’t be planned for, it’s meant to take you by surprise. She also learnt that she is one hell of an awkward lesbian. After a year of being inseparable the pair scrapped up all the money they could and bought an apartment together.  

  

“Were you jealous that the spoon got to spend more time with my tongue than you?” Sana giggled with an air of flirtation, tilting her head in her famous Sana way.  

“Stop it!” Yelped the younger girl, slapping the other girls arm and glaring at her.  

  

Sana also happens to be the most flirtatious person Dahyun has ever got to know. Dahyun however falls at the other end of the flirtation spectrum, utterly innocent and terrified on acting upon her hearts desires (her body’s desires too but that’s a completely different spectrum). This is the reason why Sana and she remain only friends, despite Dahyun’s huge and obvious crush. She’s tried her best to keep it a secret from her friend, always putting on her hetero facade and swatting away Sana’s adorable attempts at winning her over, but she’s sure Sana can tell, (she hopes Sana can tell).  

 



 

The two kept unpacking for the rest of the day until the sky turned black and they found themselves sprawled across the sofa on the edge of consciousness.  

“Hey Dahyunnie, can we order food?” Questioned Sana, rubbing her eyes as an attempt to wake herself up.  

“Please.” 

“I’ll take that as a yes,” Sana stated while reaching for her phone to call the nearest pizza restaurant. Dahyun grasped onto her arm before she could reach it, looking her dead in the eye. Sana couldn’t tell if it was the tiredness messing with her or if Dahyun looked unnerved.  

“Sana, I didn’t say that,” the younger girl whispered, not breaking eye contact only turning paler than she normally is. Sana froze on the spot as well, her eyes darted around the room looking for whoever that voice belonged to. No one was there, Sana couldn’t tell if this made things worse or not.  

“You’re not tricking me, are you?”  

“No, I’m serious. I think someone is here.” 

“You go look,” Sana instructed. The black-haired girl opened to argue but Sana big chocolatey eyes stopped her. Dahyun is probably the biggest scaredy-cat in the world but she couldn’t embarrass herself in front of the one and only Minatozaki Sana, can she?  

“Who’s there?” Shouted Dahyun (hoping Sana didn’t noticed her shaken voice). No one replied. Dahyun looked at Sana for reassurance. Maybe to also calm down her nerves.  

“Go check the hallway,” Sana instructed once again. Much to Dahyun’s dismay she found herself standing up from the sofa and wandering towards the darkened hallway. She reached out for the light switched and flicked it on, bracing herself to come face to face with a masked murder ready to rip her limb from limb. Except the hallway was empty. She felt the muscles in her body relax a little. She turned the light back off and turned back to Sana.  

“No one’s th-” her words caught in . 

“What’s wrong?” The other girl inquired. Dahyun just let out incoherent whines, her eyes fixed on something just behind Sana. Someone. Sana noticed her friends concentrated look and turned around to face what gained her full concentration but all that was there was another stack of unopened boxes.  

“Dahyun, if you’re trying to scare me it’s not going to work.” 

“Don’t you see her?” Dahyun finally muttered, pointing towards the girl she could see.  

“I think you might need to go to sleep.” Dahyun was to confused to reply. She couldn’t be seeing things, that girl looks too real. She was staring straight back at Dahyun with dark brown eyes, her clothes hung loosely around her body as if they were a few sizes too big and her hair was cut harshly just at her chin. She didn’t seem to move, not even her chest moved as if she was breathing. 

“Who are you?” Dahyun inquired, taking on a sudden wave of courage but her efforts were fruitless the girl just kept staring.  

“What are you?” She asked this time, her brows sinking in perplexation. This girl didn’t speak back but Dahyun watched as lifted into a smile. She was so caught up in the girl she didn’t notice Sana appear beside her.  

“Come on let’s go to sleep” Sana said, her voice sweet and caring. She placed her hand on Dahyuns shoulder and led her her room. The black-haired girl looked back over her shoulder but to her surprise the other girl had vanished. Maybe she is seeing things after all.  

  



 

“Do you believe in ghosts?”  

“Sometimes” 

“What does that mean?” 

"I've never seen one." 

"There's a difference between believing and seeing." Dahyun rolled over to face the other girl. They both had fallen asleep in Dahyun’s bed after the incident last night, Dahyun was actually too scared to sleep along and begged Sana to stay with her but she wouldn’t like to admit it.  

 

Having the warmth of someone lying by next to you wasn’t too unfamiliar to the dark-haired girl, (she went to many sleepovers with her church friends when she was younger), but when it’s Sana it’s different. Her presence is powerful even when she’s asleep. It filled the room with softness and warmth yet Dahyun hardly slept. She blamed the girl in the living room- maybe also Sana’s hand resting on the younger girl's hip- thoughts of her ran through her head all night. Despite the eeriness of the whole situation the mysterious girl didn’t seem threatening to Dahyun. Her eyes are what the latter remembered the most; they were dark but seemed to sparkle with a childlike charm. Although they only stared at the her she felt like they communicated a lot, (though she’s still unsure what they communicated. She wants to find out.) 

  

Sana looked up from her phone, (scrolling through twitter as always), and began to think. When Sana takes time to think about things Dahyun gets nervous. Sana’s minds great but oh so complicated. If the latter has to take time to compose a response Dahyun knows it’s going to be meaningful and very hard to understand.  

“I've never seen a ghost but I'm not sure if I don't believe in them. I think the ghosts choose who they want to see in them. I might not have been chosen yet” Dahyun was proven right once again. “You wouldn’t want everyone believing in you if you were a ghost. Imagine if it was an old evil lady. She’d just get annoying, always trying to ask questions about her dead husband. How are ghosts meant to know that stuff? It’s unfair how much pressure we put on them all to learn about every single one of our deceased loved ones and communicate it to us. We don’t even give anything to them anything in return, poor ghosts they must have it so hard,” continued the brunette, falling into one of her rambles. The younger girl, despite the fact she stopped listening to whatever Sana was rambling about, is happy that she has a friend that doesn’t judge her silly questions.  

  

“I think I saw one last night,” Dahyun mutters cutting off Sana midway through a investigation about whether ghosts get sad or not. The older girl pauses and stares up to the ceiling. The gentle bliss that normal paints her face has been washed away. It’s replaced with something unreadable.  

“Of course, you did.” 

“What’s that supposed to mean?”  

“You’re special, Dahyunnie. Of course, a ghost would want you to see them.” That made Dahyun grin, at little too much. Although she wasn’t sure whether it was because Sana called her special or because the ghost (might have) though she was special too. She didn’t lavish on the happiness for too long though. The warmth in the room began to fade. Sana’s face was still stiff and unreadable and nothing felt good about it.  

“Did you see the ghost too?” 

“No”