02

Worth The Love

 

Areum awaken from her sleep hearing faint noises of shouting downstairs. Her parents was debating again for who knows about what that time. Shouting noises turned into hand banged against door once, twice, and thrice, before sound of glass crashing followed suit.

"Why am I the only one taking care of her?!"

Areum heard her mother shouted."

"Do you think I have enough time and energy to deal with her? I'm tired enough, working day and night! You are the one who always staying at home. You should be the one taking care of her."

"Oh, and you think I don't have work at home? I clean up the whole house every day, cooking for us, do the dishes and do laundry! Everything and I still have to pick her up from school, while you are never home."

"Whatever. I'm tired."

"If only I don't marry you."

"Fine! Let's us just divorce."

The thirteen years old Areum sat on her bed, bringing her knees to her chest which was already thumping faster. The rain outside just made her fear worsen. She shutted her eyes tightly, hands covering her ears right before a terrifying thunder roared. She felt her tears fell and she sobbed uncontrolable. 

 

Another thunder roared, loudly, this time it felt so real for Areum that made her sat up straight on her bed. Her eyes opened wide as saucer. She put her hands on her chest and felt her heart was beating faster. Outside was raining and her childhood memories rushed back to her like waterfall. What made it worse was she just dreamed about it. High pitched shouting and glass shattering noises on her head was racing with the banging sound on her door.

Areum suddenly didn't know what was real, was was on her head. All sounds just mixed at once on her head and it scared her. She covered her ears, her breathes were unsteady, almost hyperventilating.

"Noona, noona! It's me. I'm here, it's okay. It's alright now. It's okay."

Jungkook suddenly rushed to her room and shook her shoulder. Jungkook was scared, but he can't let his fear to take over him. He gulped, before he tried to calm her down again. Jungkook pulled Areum wrists so he could look at her eyes. 

She didn't look at him, but Jungkook saw how scared she was. Strands of hair sticked on her teary cheeks and tears kept falling. Areum sobbed silently. 

Jungkook wiped out her tears with his thumbs, just like what Areum did years ago when he cried, and it made him realized it was always Areum, the one giving the love and taking care of him. He was always the receiver. 

"I'm sorry," said Jungkook quietly. 

Areum made no sounds, but her tears were falling. Her body trembled as she breathed in. "I'm okay," she said, her voice was so small and her lips were obviously trembling. 

Jungkook looked at her worriedly. "I'll get you a drink," he said as he hesitantly left her room. When the younger closed her bedroom door, Areum pulled her knees to her chest and buried her head in between them. She tried not to cry by clenching her jaws, but her attempt was a fail the moment she let out a breath. Another sob escaped her lips and another tears fell on her cheeks.

The seconds Jungkook was outside Areum's room, he took out his phone from his pocket and dialed Seokjin's number.

Jungkook did not need to wait long for Seokjin to answer his call. "Hyung, she got a nightmare again." Jungkook did not hear his answer, but he did hear a distant rustling sound and door knob before a hurried footsteps fcould be heard. Jungkook assumed he had woken Seokjin up with his phone call. But he didn't have any choices, he didn't know how to calm his sister down. It was always Seokjin who helped her.

Areum thought it was Jungkook when she heard the door flung opened. She did not bother to lifted up her head as she did not want to show Jungkook her breakdown state. She was a mess. She heard him put down the glass on her nightstand and she hoped he would left her alone. Areum was trying hard not to let out her sobbing when he was there in her room, but she could not control her shoulder that was moving up and down frantically. 

She felt his warm hands on top of her hand as she heard him calling her name.

"Areum-ah..."

She looked up and found there was Seokjin kneeling beside her bed as he looked up at her worriedly. 

Seokjin saw how her eyes were swollen and her cheeks were wet with tears. As soon as his hands touched her cheeks, she could not hold back her tears anymore. Seokjin immediately sat on her bed and pulled her to his chest. His other hand patted her head as he tried to soothe her. "Just cry, Areum. I'm here."

Her hands clenched on his shirt as she rested her head on his broad shoulder. She was crying, no words came out from her lips.

Seokjin tightened his arms around her and rested his head on her, as he whispered comforting words. He soothed her quietly. It wasn't long until Seokjin felt Areum wasn't shaking anymore, her breathing was long and steady. 

He slowly put his hand behind her neck and positioned her head back to her pillow. She had fallen asleep and Seokjin tucked her under the blanket. His heart clenched at the sight of her. Wet cheeks and hair sticked all over her face, eyebrows furrowed even though she was asleep. 

Seokjin wiped away her tears with his thumb, brushed her strands of hair away from her face. He softly touched her forehead with his thumb as he tried to ease her furrowed eyebrows. It took so much of his will power to hold himself sitting down at the edge of her bed and not to slipped in under the blanket beside her to embrace her on his arms. He wanted to make her feel safe. Areum looked so fragile and he didn't want to leave her.

He cupped her face as his thumb caressed her cheek, as he softly whispered to her.

"Be happy, Areum. We all love you."

He looked at her one last time before he stood up and walked out of her room. He quietly closed the door when he found Jungkook sat down on the floor, burying his head between his knees. 

The younger lifted up his head when he heard the door closed. 

"It's been so long since she had nightmare," said Jungkook. "I shouldn't shouted at her."

Seokjin sat down across the younger one and rested his back on the wall. 

"It was so worse before, when she moved here. I'd heard her cry every night but I don't know what to do, just like today."

Seokjin looked at Jungkook's face. Guilt was drawn all over his face. "What happened today?" he asked slowly, his tone was filled with tenderness, he didn't even blame him. "What made you shouted at her like that?"

Jungkook clenched his jaws and Seokjin noticed how he balled his hands, nails digging into his skin.

"I was so mad at her. No, I was very mad at that bastard," he stated.

Seokjin furrowed his eyebrows at Jungkook's choice of words and questioning who was Jungkook refering to?

Jungkook looked at the older one and noticed the confused look on his face. "By the look on your face, I guess no one knows. She never told anyone!" Jungkook hissed.

"What do you mean?"

Jungkook's eyes were full of anger when he recalled the event happened yesterday. "I met a guy at the cafe coincidentally. I didn't know him, but he seemed like he knew me," he said and spilled the bean.

 

It was after school. Jungkook and Taehyung went to the nearest cafe to grab their favorite choco milkshake. They were standing in line, queueing, when two guys approached them.

"Aren't you Jeon Jungkook?" asked the guy who had smug smile planted on his face.

Jungkook just spared him a glance and didn't answered him. He knew they were just asking for troubles and he didn't want to be involved in a fight.

"As I remembered you are Areum's sister, right?"

Jungkook remained ignoring the guy.

"Oh dude, look at him. He remind me of his sister so much, right. Although it's been a year, she still remains in my head. Pretty, kind, but stupid just like other girls." The guy chuckled as he nudged his friend. "She was just like him, ignoring me all the time after she found out she was our bet."

His words triggered Jungkook. As soon as he heard his words, Jungkook turned to his right and grabbed the guy's collar. "What the ?" Jungkook hissed . His eyes were full of anger.

"Oops. She never told you? I thought you're her brother? Aren't sibblings tell each other their problems?"

"Why would she tell everyone about that, Hanbin?" the other guys laughed. 

"Oh, right. It would be embarassing if his brother found out she was being played all the time."

Jungkook couldn't handle his anger and he landed his fist hard on the guy's face. If only it wasn't because Taehyung who stopped him and dragged him outside, he wouldn't stop punching him.

"Jungkook, stop!" shouted Taehyung when they were outside. "You might get to the police station if you keep punching him!"

"He deserves that! Didn't you hear what he said?! He played my sister!"

"But you don't deserve go to the police station, dude," said Taehyung softly, tried to calm him down. "I believe you sister had punched him before. I know she wouldn't stay still."

"Why she never told me, Tae. Why? Had I known this, I'd beat him up. She's always kept everything to herself."

Taehyung saw how Jungkook was very mad. His chest was moving up and down every time he breathe in and out. 

"I can help her, too!"

"I know you can, but she has her own reasons."

 

By the time Jungkook had finished telling him, Sekojin felt anger filling in his chest. 

"No, she never told me about his, too," he said.

"Hyung, I wanted to confront her about this. But at the same time I don't want to remind her of that, too. She must have had a hard time dealing with that. I just don't want to let her deal with everything alone. I mean, she has me as his brother but it seems like she's all alone. That was why I was angry at her and those words just slipped out of my mouth."

"I know," said Seokjin as he stood up. He offered his hand to help Jungkook stand up.

"Hyung, thank you," he said quietly as he grabbed Seokjin's hand to stand up.

"No problem, Jungkook-ah. It's late. You should sleep." Seokjin tapped the younger's shoulder before he turned his back. 

"Hyung." Jungkook called him again.

Seokjin stopped and look back at Jungkook, waiting for him to say whatever he had in his mind.

"I know you have feeling for my sister."

Kim Seokjin let that words sink in head as he sealed his lips. His eyes were on the younger one for seconds before he smiled and turned back. "What do you know, kid."