Abandoned

The Breath of Fresh Air

It was spring and the tiny flower buds were readying themselves to blossom into majestic flowers for the summer. Mino and Jinwoo’s friendship was just like always, with Mino hiding his true feelings while Jinwoo continued to be adorable and clueless.

 

While the two of them were going to school together one morning, they were about to cross a busy road to arrive at the school’s front gate. As the traffic lights turned to red, warning the pedestrians to stop, the two who were standing at the crossroad were waiting for the light to turn green.

 

Suddenly, a skinny figure with long wavy hair passed them, leaving behind a trail of nauseously strong perfume. Realizing the accident that would’ve occurred in seconds by her carelessness of not noticing that the light had turned red, Mino swiftly pulled the girl back as soon as the cars started moving.

 

As Mino pulled the girl back into the safety zone, she had just realized what would’ve happened if it weren’t for Mino. The first thing Mino noticed when she turned around to look at her savior was that she was very pretty, with miniscule amounts of makeup on her face, highlighting her natural beauty. She seemed like the type of girl that would be really popular in school and could win every person’s heart in a second.

 

"Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! I was just scrolling through my social media apps on my phone, and the next thing I knew, you pulled me back to safety! I don’t know how I could ever repay you.” She exclaimed to Mino as her facial features showcased a bunch of different reactions that he didn’t even know could exist. “My name is Kang Seulgi! Please give me your phone number. I am very interested in you and I want to get to know you better.”

 

How blunt… yet so captivating… Mino thought as he got attracted to getting to know this energetic girl a little better.

 

Over a matter of a few seconds, Jinwoo, who was supposed to be walking to the school with Mino had been completely ignored. After Mino gave Seulgi his phone number, not only did they find out that they went to the same high school but they kept chatting happily like friends who have known each other for lots of years while the one who helped Mino through his darkest times was right behind him.

 

Seeing this scene unravel in front of Jinwoo made him think that his efforts of getting closer to Mino these past few weeks have been wasted and thrown away. It was as if his best friend had just forgotten that he existed. Jinwoo didn’t know why, but he felt an excruciating force of pain suddenly pierced through his chest.


It was probably because of the lack of sleep. Yeah… definitely…. Nothing else, nothing more… Jinwoo reassured himself in his mind as the pain in his chest grew as he looked at Mino and Seulgi happily walking through the front school gates while he was left behind, alone and abandoned, feeling as lost as ever.