Jealous.

All the pretty girls in the world

Sooyoung has a very good friend? Wendy finds out, in a quite unexpected way, she may add.

It was late in the evening and she had a sudden craving for Oreos but, sadly, didn’t have any at home. So, she decided to go and get the snack at the grocery store across the road. When she got back she found Sooyoung and some other girl, leaning on her body fully, letting out drunk giggles and murmurs while typing in the password and trying to fit in the keycard correctly.

Wendy couldn’t hide her disappointment even if she tried. Seemed like the other girl got herself a girlfriend recently since she’s never even mentioned anything about anyone after Dohwan, or found some girl at the club or some similar place to take home.

“Oh, hey there, Wendy-unnie,” Sooyoung slurred, gripping her companion’s shoulder for support.

“Ah, hi, Sooyoung,” Wendy answered awkwardly, shifting on her feet, her shopping bag held tightly.

“This is Yerim,” she pointed at her friend.

“Hello,” the tipsy girl waved at the Canadian.

Not being able to bear the sight of her neighbor with some girl, Wendy tried to get out as soon as possible. “You two have a good evening,” she almost whispered, quickly turning around and slipping into her home. With her eyes looking down she missed the way Sooyoung’s eyebrows shot up in surprise at the lack of usual friendliness and hospitality.

Sad and a little bit heartbroken Wendy went into her studio and locked the door behind her. She sat on a chair near the keyboard for almost an hour, thankful that the room was mostly soundproof and she didn’t have to listen to loud and disturbing noises she was sure could be heard outside. To be frank, her mood and night was ruined. She completely forgot about the snack, but at least she found some sad melody creeping inside her mind and making its way onto the note sheets.

Next morning Wendy was glad she didn’t witness “Yerim” stumbling out of Sooyoung’s apartment on her walk of shame.

But that wasn’t the last time she’s met the girl.

A couple days prior to their second encounter, Sooyoung told her that she had to leave on a business trip and that she didn’t have anyone to leave Songie with, saying that almost all of her friends are “a bunch of insensitive asses”. And that led to Wendy being the one taking care of the puppy.

 

(Wendy stares at Songie. Songie stares at Wendy. Neither makes a slight noise or movement.

“I’m not gonna let you on the couch, pup. Your human isn’t here, so the chances of you getting onto the sofa are practically nonexistent,” she tells him in a stern voice.

The animal looks at her, its eyes filling with pity and sorrow. He then lays his head on his front paws and begins to whine quietly, staring into space.

Wendy feels her defense crippling at the display of remorse.

No. Keep fighting it. Don’t give in, you’re doing a great job.

“Okay, fine,” she throws her hands in the air. “Come here, you baby.”

Her voice makes Songie’s head rise and he runs to the couch and jumps, right into her arms. He starts to her face, making Wendy snort a bit.

“Seems like I can’t fight against the both of you,” she mumbles, gently running her hand up and down the soft fur.)

 

The Canadian takes her jacket and calls the puppy over, intending to take him out on a walk and get a bit of fresh, chilly air herself. When she leaves the apartment the sight of a person knocking violently on Sooyoung’s door greets her.

“Excuse me? The owner isn’t home right now,” she eyes the girl.

The person runs around and smiles suddenly, walking closer and stretching her hand out. “Hey, you’re Wendy-unnie, right?”

“Yeah,” Wendy shakes her hand.

She’s currently having mixed feeling about all of this. The girl seems nice but at the same time was the one who went home with Sooyoung and probably slept with. She knows that she’s wrong thinking like that because, well for starters, she’s just Sooyoung’s friend and neighbor so yeah.

“If you’re here for Sooyoung, I’m sorry to disappoint you but she’s not home and won’t be for a couple days.”

Wendy kind of feels bad for the girl. She waits for a look of something akin to misery to appear in her eyes but is definitely surprised when Yerim’s eyes turn annoyed.

“What? That old hag, and she didn’t even tell me anything.”

Okay, maybe Wendy’s rethinking her impression of the girl. Seems like the girl is definitely just a one-night stand. A very petty one, at that.

“Don’t you think it’s a bit rude talking about her like that?” Here she goes and defenses that one person who – unintentionally – made her feel like .

The other girl squints her eyes at Wendy. “I’m rude? She’s the one who’s rude in this situation. She was supposed to give me back my Sony PlayStation a month ago and now she’s not even here!”

“What? PlayStation?” So she’s not a petty ex.

“Yeah, she asked for it so she could play with somebody,” Yerim explains, clearly disappointed.

Wendy blushes. Now after the girl told her about this, she can definitely remember the nights she spent together with Sooyoung, playing the game station. A memory of the two of them trying to pass a difficult level in Rayman Legends for an hour straight only to give up and change the game to Way Out. The scandalized look on Sooyoung’s face at the end of the game and her loud questions of what, why and how could you make her laugh internally. Also, she’s not going to lie but the way her neighbor started geeking out about Lego Star Wars and Lord of the Rings was incredibly hot.

“Oh, so you’re here because of the PlayStation and not because of–“ she stops before embarrassing herself.

“Because of what?” Confused look on the younger’s face quickly morphs into one of amusement mixed with disgust. A weird combination, to be honest. She starts laughing loudly. “Did you- did you really think- oh my goodness- Eww. As if I would ever sleep with Sooyoung-unnie. I have some self-respect, thank you very much.” 

What is this habit of making an idiot of herself in front of people she’s meeting for the first time?

“By the way, if unnie’s not here then who’s watching the demon – Oh God, no, don’t move closer to me.” Yerim squeals and moves to hide behind Wendy’s back after Songie, who has been very quiet up until now, barked and ran towards her.

Wendy quickly picks him up and looks at the girl who’s trying to calm herself down. “I was going for a walk with Songie. Do you maybe want to have a coffee with me or something? I’d like to apologize.”

Yerim looks at her and nods and they head to the lift, choosing the fast way.

“You know, you seem just as sweet as she describes you.”

Wendy’s heart doesn’t speed up after these words.

 

“So, you probably know that Sooyoung-unnie isn’t exactly the easiest person to get along with,” Yerim says, munching on her cheesecake.

Wendy nods. Her neighbor’s sense of humor and manners might be not everyone’s cup of tea but she finds herself drawn closer to the younger girl. “Yeah.”

“But don’t let that discourage you!” Wendy’s new acquaintance adds. “She’s really sweet once you get to know her. Not the best person at expressing her true feelings. Occasionally savage but that’s just how she was born.”

Wendy chuckles at that.

“No, really,” Yerim looks at her, eyes big and bright, and Wendy is sure that the other girl made a lot of messy things using that look on people. “I’ve known her since high school and believe me when I say that she made boys from other grades cry big, ugly tears.”

“Wow.”

“Yeah, wow,” Yerim looks at her wrist watch and rapidly starts wiping at , not before emptying her milkshake. “Damn, I’ve completely lost the track of time. I have to go now but I hope to meet you again, unnie. Bye!”

Wendy watches as she quickly steps out of the veranda and sighs. She’s just realized that she’s been played by Yerim into paying for her lunch. She agreed to pay for coffee. Not cheesecake, a muffin and two milkshakes. She gazes at her own cup of already cool drink and then looks down at Songie, who’s been sitting with them for the whole time.

Even the dog somehow seems sympathetic.

“I’ve been scammed by a child.”

 

When Wendy tells Sooyoung who comes later to get Songie, she just laughs at her, explaining that she would be even more surprised if Yerim didn’t scam her. She also warns her and tells her to be aware of Yerim because she’s too nice and can’t say no to that spawn of Satan.