Useless.

All the pretty girls in the world

They get close – well, closer.

They’re not exactly best friends but they’re not strangers either, a fact that makes Wendy unbelievably happy. They say hi to each other in the morning whenever Wendy catches Sooyoung leaving for work or in the evening when the younger girl goes for a walk with Songie. Sometimes, when both of them have free time (technically, when Sooyoung has free time because Wendy works at home and doesn’t leave it that often) they hang out in one of the girls’ apartment. Most of the time in Wendy’s because Sooyoung doesn’t want to lose any opportunity to eat some of her delicious food. Rarely they hang out at Sooyoung’s. Wendy isn’t going to lie when she says that she enjoys their time together very much. Because of two very valuable reasons: Sooyoung herself and her dog.

Her dog whom Wendy decided that she likes very very much. The puppy is really friendly and sweet and would eat all of the snacks she gives him, despite Sooyoung telling her that she shouldn’t do it. The way the animal would jump on her lap and ask for affection makes her scream internally at its adorableness. Also, Songie, being very collected and calm, has its perks – he doesn’t bark at the wee hours of the mornings when inspiration seems to strike her the most; doesn’t disturb her when she pours all of her thoughts and emotions through her countless pens into a notebook.

Speaking of Songie being calm… Loud, abrupt sounds that are coming from outside of her apartment are so unusual that they make Wendy infinitely curious. She quickly takes off her apron and goes to check what may have caused the commotion. She doesn’t like what she sees when she looks into the peephole. She lets out a heavy sigh and opens the door, slowly stepping over the threshold.

There stands Sooyoung with Songie’s leash in her hand, holding the strangely feral animal that doesn’t stop barking at the tall man in front of them. He stops talking in a (inappropriately) loud voice and turns around when he sees Sooyung’s eyes moving to look behind his broad back.

“Is everything okay here?” Wendy asks carefully, moving closer to stand beside Sooyoung and leaning down to pick Songie who immediately stops fidgeting.

“That’s none of your business,” the guy tries to move forward but steps back after hearing a loud growl from the animal in her hands.

Wendy isn’t going to lie, she’s a bit scared – okay, she’s scared a lot – this weird man is hovering over her, and his wild expression and stance that clearly scream “danger” make her want to crawl into a ball. But she can’t. Of course, she can’t do this, especially noticing how Sooyoung seems frozen near her, not dropping any words. She womans up, swallows the lump in and wears the meanest scowl she can manage.

“Technically, it is. You are clearly making my friend very uncomfortable,” Wendy catches Sooyoung turning her head to look at her. “Also, it’s late into the evening already and, if you haven’t noticed, you’re making quite a lot of noises in this apartment complex. So you better leave before I call the police for harassment and disorderly conduct.”

The man opens his mouth to say something – probably really rude based on his expression – but Sooyoung beats him to it, speaking up for the first time Wendy has intervened.

“Go away, Dohwan, I’ve already told you that we’re over. So, stop trying to contact me or I swear I’ll get a restraining order.” Sooyoung’s voice is cold and tired. A voice Wendy has never heard before and, honestly, doesn’t want to ever again.

Dohwan huffs and squares his shoulder before glaring at the both of them. “Good luck searching for someone who’s as good as me.” He clenches his jaw and turns around to leave. “You’re not that special anyway.”

Wendy rolls her eyes at his antics, now feeling pity instead of fear. Yes, she is. Wendy doesn’t say that out loud though.

There’s a look of annoyance on Sooyoung’s face as rubs at her temples and swears under her breath.

“Uhm, are you okay?” Wendy asks, and really – are you okay?

Sooyoung slowly exhales and gives her a small smile that doesn’t reach her eyes at all. She stretches her hand out to pet Songie who has been whining since that guy left. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

The smaller girl looks around, not sure of what to do.

“I’ve,” she clears as Sooyoung looks her in the eye, “I’ve just made some cookies. Do you want to come in?” maybe we could talk about this.

Sooyoung lets out a small chuckle and raises her eyebrow at the suggestion. “Do you really think that you can make my mood better by offering me food?”

Wendy blushes, that’s exactly what she was going to do. “Uhm… yeah?”

The taller girl smiles brightly, tiredness disappearing literally in a second. “You’re absolutely right, how can I decline free cookies?”

 

Mph, thefe ave amaving,” Sooyoung mumbles as she munches on the chocolate chip cookie, closing her eyes in pleasure.

Wendy’s glad that the younger girl is much more comfortable now. She’s gotten rid of her long grey coat, now clad in a white shirt, and let her hair fall down on her shoulders. The atmosphere in Wendy’s living room is as relaxed as it could be. They are sitting on the couch, Songie lying between them dozing off (initially, Wendy wasn’t going to let the puppy on it but he looked so miserable on the floor near their legs. Also, Sooyoung’s own puppy eyes took a great part in convincing Wendy. She didn’t even last two minutes).

“Don’t speak with your mouth full,” Wendy scolds the younger girl who just rolls her eyes.

“Okay, mom,” Sooyoung laughs when the older girl hits her shoulder playfully.

Wendy keeps fidgeting with her fingers until settling on rubbing the fur behind Songie’s ear, not knowing how to bring up what happened half an hour ago.

“So…” she looks at Sooyoung who looks at her in expectation. “Do you want to talk? It’s completely fine if you don’t! I know it’s not really my place to say anything –“

“Nah, it’s fine,” Sooyoung cuts her off before biting into another cookie, this time she swallows before speaking. “As you may have figured out, that guy was my ex-boyfriend, Dohwan.”

Wendy nods, “Yeah, I got that part.”

“Of course, you did. Anyway, we met when I was finishing university and he started chasing after me, trying to ask me out on dates. I didn’t agree at first, because he was – well, is – an and everyone could tell. But young and naïve me thought that maybe he has changed because he seemed so sweet. So, we started going out, and he was all gentleman-ly, gave me flowers and took me out on dates – all that romantic stuff. Then, three months into out relationship he began to miss my calls and kept some messages on read, and I, being totally respectful and understanding person, let him get away with it for a couple of times. But two times became twelve, and the next thing I know he’s cheating on me with my classmate.” Sooyoung finishes off, taking a sip of her lukewarm tea.

The both of them don’t say anything; Wendy regrets that she asked and ruined the lighthearted mood.

“Wow.”

“Yeah, wow,” Sooyoung sighs but her expression clears the next second. “But I’m not that pathetic to get sad because of some .”

Even though she says, this Wendy sees that this whole situation hurt Sooyoung and left a big impact. Really, Wendy thinks, what an .

“Well, he’s an idiot for letting go of someone like you,” Wendy tells her, not quite thinking beforehand.

A smirk makes its way on Sooyoung’s luscious lips and her eyes turn playful. “Someone like me?

The older girl chokes on her water and thanks gods that she’s able not to spit it everywhere. She tries to compose herself in front of the girl who seems even more alluring in the dim lightning of her living room. “Yes.” She need to change the topic and she needs to do it quick. “Sooyoung-ah, have you had dinner? I’ve made chicken earlier and – “

“Chicken!?” the younger girl practically jumps on the spot after hearing the sacred word.

Son Wendy changing the topic challenge - success.

“You know, unnie, if you keep feeding me all of this delicious food you make,” Wendy doesn’t blush after these words, “I’m gonna gain some extra weight.”

Wendy lets her eyes run across Sooyoung’s body, from head to toes. “I don’t think you need to worry about your body. It’s amazing.”

Insert here the record scratch sound.

What

did I just say.

God, Son, how can you be this embarrassing?

“Uhh, that’s not what I meant,” Wendy tries to justify her words, seeing amusement dancing in Sooyoung’s eyes. “Not that it’s not amazing, just, you know…” Wendy trails off, feeling the taller girl’s hands on her shoulders, stopping her ranting.

Sooyoung looks her dead in the eye. “Gosh, unnie, relax. I get it – you find me hot. I don’t blame you; my body is pretty amazing.”

The taller girl lets go and Wendy feels like she’s able to breathe again.

Until Sooyoung’s next words.

“You’re hot too, by the way.”

She feels like she’s choking on air once again.

“Now give me chicken!”