Spring

Her Crumbs Of Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

It was spring when Wendy first saw her.

 

As the last snow fell and melted,

 

...her heart seemed to also melt away when a bright smile’s engraved in her head.

 

Even as the sun went to hide into the horizon, Wendy could not squeeze the ghost of that smile to the deepest part of her head. She couldn’t even stop smiling when that trace of thoughts went back into her mind. And that time she knew,

 

That time she realized,

 

...that she had fallen.

 

Maybe she would no longer regret her father's interchange to this city which forced her to adapt herself as well. Looking for a new school and socializing all over again. She’s so used to hide her opinion, she’s familiar in obeying others. Not because she’s afraid of something nor someone, but the kindness that was passed on from her mother caused her to want to please others without thinking much of herself first.

 

She was simply genuine.

 

A pinch of regrets that marched into her heart had instantly vanished when that smile was caught by her eyes on the first day of new school. If that smile was a disease, it sure was contagious. At least to her as she felt like she’d been deeply infected by that beautifully curved eyes when those lips were stretched to both sides.

 

That girl’s charming.

 

Searching for days, it wasn’t until Monday she finally got the name of the charming girl.

 

Joy.

 

Wendy almost clapped as she wondered how the girl’s name matched her aura so much. And for days Joy became her routine when waking up and sleeping.

 

Her days as a detective continued.

 

It wasn’t until the next week that she knew the girl's real name was Sooyoung.

 

And Wendy almost applauded a second time thinking about how that name matched the owner's face.

 

‘Cause for her, the name sounded beautiful, so tender. So dazzling.

 

Her Sherlock life lasted long after that. Day by day, another splendid news always came to her. Week by week new achievement had always been achieved.

 

When she got to shake Joy's soft hand for the first time and pronounced her own name, stuttering, “I'm W-wendy.” Something in her belly shuffled weirdly. But she knew that that wasn’t a bad thing.

 

And when Joy clutched her hand tight, replying, “Joy.” with such steady voice, as Wendy often heard that Joy’s a very confident girl, she liked that. Joy's confidence and honey-like voice caused the thing that had been moving inside her stomach stirred further as if wanted to burst out, serving her with millions of bliss.

 

Months went fast by and for the first time Wendy was able to make Joy laugh. The laughter was difficult for her to describe with words. Perhaps, the closest one would be crisp, or perhaps, the most suitable word was lovely. Wendy wasn’t sure she could choose from thousands of words that popped up to her. What she’s aware of,

 

...that she liked how that laughter sounded.

 

Seasons also changed though her heart seemed stuck on the same place. Itching when Joy was within her reach. The seasons also changed as she was able to slap Joy's arm softly when the latter gave out her dad-jokes, much to her liking. And Joy did the same thing when Wendy could no longer hold herself to be sappy.

 

What Joy didn’t know was that Wendy’s not joking around.

 

Their years shifted further. The gowns they used to wear looked too small for them who had grown taller than before. For them who had grown prettier than before. Few years had passed by for the place they used to call school had become a college. What they used to call uniform was now simply a shirt.

 

And those changes were caught by Wendy. Her eyes had turned into camera with unlimited space to record everything that happened around her. Exclusively on one woman who filled that space.

 

Wendy witnessed how the girl’s beauty didn’t change, if beauty could grow, her beauty grew extremely fast every day and even every single second they shared together.

 

A voice that used to only sound gentle back then was now like a song from heaven that she couldn’t miss. The smile that once just seemed cute had become a daily dose of bliss for her to pass the day. The laughter she had once adored had become the thing she loved so much. And with just the presence of that girl alone, Wendy felt as if she’d be able to breathe and survive through life for a thousand more years.

 

The years might’ve changed, everything around her had indeed changed. Everything, except for one,

 

…her heart that remained the same.

 

And Wendy was as sure as when she first saw her, when the last drop of snow melted, her wish would never change.

 

Her wish that stayed the same even after thousands of days passed,

 

Her wish,

 

...that she had to make her hers.

 

***
 

 


Her unwavering heart brought Wendy to a decision to confess what she felt to her. What she felt inside for that one heart.

 

When the courage came, she didn’t waste it before it died again. Wendy could no longer hold back what had been stuck. When the alarm rang and dusk created tinge of orange at the sky above, she patiently waited in that place.

 

The place where she’s gonna meet Joy.

 

Just like those days that had passed, Wendy would always ask Joy out just to hang out or accompany her to a music store. Their tastes weren’t exactly similar but they really liked listening to music. She took a deep breath before she noticed a little box in her hands. She readied her heart for all the possibilities that’d occur. Whether it's a good one or a bad one. Whatever the come out would be, at least she was brave enough to challenge herself.

 

The place was a bit chilly as the wind gently blew some leaves from behind. One leaf that floated high above her head whirled beautifully, away from her view. Her eyes stuck on its yellowish color when it landed on the head of a person she had been waiting for.

 

She noticed Joy wearing a gray hoodie with a soft pink t-shirt that could not even hide those beautiful curves she owned. With hands inside her pockets, her flat expression making her looked cold, she glanced at Wendy,

 

“What is it?” Her tone as cold as her face.

 

Wendy smiled as she squeezed the box continuously. Perhaps her restless actions were visible to Joy as the latter set her eyes on the box and then looked back at Wendy as she twitched a brow as if repeating her question.

 

The Canadian cleared before started to speak,      
 

“People say if you meet someone you like, your heart will beat fast and you’ll feel weird.” She sighed. “...but I don’t completely agree with them. ‘Cause what truly happens is that the wind suddenly revolves around you and lifts all your being along with the rhythm of your heart that suddenly exceeds the normal speed you think you might die. ‘Cause what I feel is that that person becomes my source of light that I often want to pursue.”

 

What once just a crease of brows was now become a tilt of head, Joy’s perplexed face was obvious.

 

“It might sound dramatic and undoubtedly very pathetic, but that's what I truly feel when I see the person who stirs my heart. As I follow her as my source of light even as the year changes it never seemed to dim, right here,” Wendy placed a hand on her chest,” That's what I feel whenever I,”

 

“...stare upon you.”

 

For a moment she caught Joy's eyes widened. For a moment she witnessed how Joy's face turned surprised. But it was only for a moment, when Joy once again skillfully retained her cold expression and those wrinkly brows reappeared. Her eyes bored deep into Wendy’s, looking uneasy.

 

Wendy cleared a second time, “I don’t know if I deserve to say this… Am I worthy of saying this? But I think my heart is already too full to keep everything I've felt for you for years and it suffocates me. That’s why I decide to let it out.”

 

Wendy opened the box she'd been holding tightly.

 

A square shaped chocolate with lines that divided it equally came to view. In the middle there’s a writing that strangely instead of expression it was a question: 'will you?', written so beautifully with small shape of heart at the upper corner of it.

 

“Will you...” Wendy repeated what it said, “...accept this heart that’s full of wishful thinking about you?”

 

She bit her lip as the uneasiness on Joy's face clearly visible, leaving her nervous and praying quietly just to calm her jumpy heart. But what happened next soothed her down when Joy's soft hand moved slowly --slightly trembling-- toward the chocolate and broke it into a small piece before shoving it into .

 

“It's bitter” she commented.

 

“Ah-uh sorry, I don’t really know how to make it.” stuttering, Wendy confessed. “Uhm, so, does this mean...”

 

“I already ate your chocolate though.” Joy shrugged her shoulders casually.

 

She finally managed to breathe again when relieved crept into her body. She felt her courage escalate as she leaned closer to Joy and tilted her head slightly then gave her a soft peck on cheek.
 

Joy squinted as Wendy brought out an exceptionally sweet smile then uttered,

 

“Thank you.”
 

 

***
 

 


The Canadian put down a tray of milk and pieces of bit-sized toast that had been smothered with chocolate treacle as topping, on the bedside table, where a girl was still fast asleep even though the sun had brought out the brightness out there. The bed was moving slightly as Wendy sat down and stared at the tranquil face. She lifted one hand to the girl's head gently, causing the girl's brows to wrinkle. She creased them by giving that forehead a soft kiss then smiled as those eyes fluttered open.

 

“Morning...” Wendy's smile was softly engraved.

 

Joy sighed heavily and shifted to sit on bed. She gave Wendy a quick glance as she always did before she nodded, answering her morning greeting. Wendy forked a piece of toast and feed it to her girlfriend.

 

Joy cackled her tongue as she refused Wendy's hand, “I can do it myself.” Then took the plate.

 

Wendy giggled as the chocolate smeared at the corner of her Joy’s lips. When she was about to wipe it, Joy's hand stopped hers first, “What are you doing?” She asked flatly.

 

“There’s chocolate on your face, baby.” Wendy's hand moved further along with Joy's hands that gripped hers tight.

 

“I'm eating, so it's okay. Just leave it alone, you don’t have to wipe it.” With that one sentence she tossed Wendy’s hand then began to chew again.

 

A naughty smile appeared on the shorter's face as she quickly cleared the corner of Joy’s mouth with her own lips and ran off. A shout came from the room and made her laugh even more.

 

It's almost been a year since that confession. Every reaction that Joy gave her was either looked cute or adorable to Wendy, there’s nothing in between. Although Joy often complained about the amount of affections she gave her but Wendy just couldn’t help it. It’s getting worse since she revealed the feelings which had been the friend of hers for years.

 

Few months back Wendy asked Joy to move in together so that they could be more closer and meet more often. Joy eventually accepted her request on one condition that Wendy was the one who should move to her flat, ‘cause it’d be too annoying for the taller to move her things. And now here they were,
 

Together and happy.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter