III. A little something

The Something-Nothing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Why is Baekhyun so clingy?” I snapped out of my reverie and turned to Mira who’s reading my conversation with Baekhyun. She wasn’t even just looking over my shoulder. She seriously has my phone in her hand, scrolling through my messages. I blush like crazy and quickly snatch the device from her. She smirked at me.

 

“Not together, huh? Nothing going on between you two, huh?” I rolled my eyes at her teasing and kept my phone in my pocket. Baekhyun is getting sickeningly sweet every passing day and I won’t lie that it doesn’t do things to my heart. If he keeps this going I might end up…

 

I shook my head, hopefully shaking my irrational thoughts along with it. “I’ll go grab some books in the library… I’ll be going first.” Mira only raised a suspicious eyebrow my way and chuckled as she sent me off. I have to say I am positively out of it today and I think I have Baekhyun to thank for that. Just last night, he sent me two poems that he apparently thought about during his literature class.

 

They were love poems and he made me read them to ask for my opinion. I joked around asking who they were for, suggesting that they could be for me and all he replied to me was a mysterious “maybe” and this mocking smiley emoji.

 

I re-read the poems again after that and… I don’t want to say that they were indeed addressed to me but there were some parts that seemed as though this girl he was talking about is familiar. A little too familiar. To keep my delusions at bay, I quickly changed the topic. I was complaining to him about how busy I was.

 

When he asked me what I was busy with, (because he knew I did my papers in advance and should not have anything to be busy about) I told him I was busy passing my paper around amongst my course mates. Since they were having a hard time, I automatically felt like I should help.

 

I was only sending it to one course mate but he ended up telling a friend of his and that friend also told her friend until I had my paper passed around between five or more people. I was busy answering their queries too, some even asking how they could rephrase some of my sentences so they wouldn’t get caught. I just had so many people talking to me all at once that is was overwhelming.     

 

He said he doesn’t like those people because he felt like they were using me and taking advantage of my kindness. He said the least I could do was make them pay me for my “services” but of course I didn’t agree to it. That is just not like me. I could never do that.

 

Baekhyun then told me I was too nice. So much so that I am probably fragile and easy to hurt. Which I totally am, I must admit. I pouted to myself, about to set my phone aside for a minute to continue helping these people when my phone rang. I blinked at the screen, wondering why Baekhyun was suddenly calling.

 

With a sigh, I picked up the call and immediately told him I couldn’t talk too long because I have all these people waiting for me to reply. He only groaned, forcing me to tell everyone I was helping that I was sick and had to go to bed early so they’d stop messaging me. He also added something about him wanting to have me to himself but I chose to ignore that bit.

 

He gave me three minutes. I messaged them regretfully but deep down inside I was a tad bit relieved. When the last person has messaged me bidding farewell, I sighed to myself and finally gave Baekhyun my full attention. “What’s up? Why’d you call?” I said, flipping over to lie down on my back. I stared up at the ceiling as I waited for Baekhyun to say something.

 

“I miss you,” he replied with a voice soft and very sincere. I felt myself gulp at that, my heart beat speeding up at quite an alarming rate. I couldn’t respond right away. I didn’t expect him to say that. I mean, we’ve been talking almost every day. How could he miss me? Shouldn’t he even be sick of me?

 

I heard a sigh on the other end and I don’t know why but I had a feeling Baekhyun had a ridiculous pout on his lips when he said, “It’s okay if you don’t miss me back… I’m just saying.” I bit back a smile and shook my head good naturedly.

 

Now that I think about it… I kind of do miss him too. It has been a while since we saw each other in person anyway. I held onto my phone tighter, my lips screwed together in an attempt to stop my words from slipping out of my mouth. Baekhyun sighed again. “Well, this is unfair. I’m going crazy here missing you and—”

 

“I miss you too!” I blurted out, shocking myself and most likely Baekhyun too. There was then a short pause that had me drowning in embarrassment for a while but then Baekhyun started laughing. “You’re not just saying that, are you?” He has a teasing tone laced in his voice when he said that, making me roll my eyes.

 

I just know he has a smirk on his face right now. “I mean it… We haven’t seen each other in a while and… texting or chatting isn’t as good as seeing you in person…” Wow. I have no idea what’s gotten into me. I had no idea I even felt that way until my mouth moved on its own to say that to Baekhyun.

 

My entire face suddenly felt warm and I slightly regret saying that.  I shut my eyes tightly and covered my face with my hair as if doing so was going to save me from the embarrassment I felt. After a few beats of silence, Baekhyun took a deep breath. He hummed, chuckling a little. “Hearing you say that makes my heart all warm.”

 

Speaking of warm, my warm face is now burning. Awkwardly, I laughed and replied with a lame, “What are you even saying?” I inhaled a big breath through my nose and hugged my pillow to my pounding heart. “I don’t know…” I heard him moving on the other line, like he’s shifting on his bed before he continued on saying, “You make me really happy. If you only knew.”

 

I had to blink several times to try to let his words sink in but it was quite hard. I didn’t know what to reply to that and I don’t even think I have sufficient words at the moment so I ended up just saying his name. “I mean it! I feel… different now,” is what he said next. My eyebrows pinched together. “What does that mean?”

 

I moved to lie on my side, facing my window where I can see the stars dotting the night sky. Baekhyun sighed and I heard him shifting on his bed again. I wonder if he’s looking at the stars too. “My life is a little messy right now but you keep me sane somehow. You keep me grounded. I have these times when I want to just give up and throw everything away but you’re there with your kind words, your encouragements and your smiles and laughs and just your presences, you know?”

 

I truly have no words for that anymore. I am speechless and my mind is white sheet of nothingness. It seems though that I didn’t need to reply anyway because a few seconds later Baekhyun just went, “I… I can’t explain it but think of it this way…” I let out a hum in exchange of my lack of words and patiently waited for Baekhyun to continue.

 

It took him a while and for a second there I thought the call had been disconnected but I could still hear his breathing on the other line. “If I were a fish, you are my tail. You keep me going,” he finally said. It took my breath away. The stars outside seemed to twinkle even more and slowly, I felt myself melt at his words. I hugged my pillow tighter, a soft and small smile tugging on my lips.

 

“Baekhyun…” I breathed and he hummed. How do I even respond to that? I felt like butter melting on a heated pan. The burning has reached my ears and neck. Not to mention my heart. I didn’t know it had the capability of beating that fast until now. The silence was stretching on for so long and I’m not sure if Baekhyun minded it but I sure did. It was getting too unbearable for me.

 

“I- Uhm, I’m actually getting really sleepy…” I covered my face right after realizing what a horrible way that was of escaping this situation. I’m pretty sure Baekhyun is amused by my stupidity because I heard a faint chuckle on the other end. But instead of making fun of me, he only hummed. “Go to sleep, princess.” Then I heard a smooching sound, indicating that Baekhyun kissed his phone before he hung up.

 

I don’t even think I slept well last night just thinking about that phone call. Was that even for real? Did he really say those sweet things? Or was I imagining it? Was it a dream perhaps? Shaking my head, I quickened my pace to the library. I don’t want to lie. I guess I really will go to the library to borrow some books now.

 

 

Tuesday

 

I had just gotten out of the cafeteria, sipping on my favorite milk tea when Junmyeon came running to me. He was all sweaty, trying to even out his breathing as he rested his hand on his knees. I furrowed my brows at him. “Jun? Are you okay?” I asked worriedly, the straw still in my mouth, my head tilted to look at him.

 

He held his hand out, asking me to wait until he’s breathing normally again then he stood up straighter. He put his hands on his hips, giving me this reprimanding look. “Don’t you have your phone with you? I’ve called you at least six times!” I jolted at his volume and quickly reached into my back pocket to check my phone.

 

Indeed, he has called but my phone was on silent because I had a long quiz during my period before this break. I gave him a sheepish grin and awkwardly rubbed my neck. “Ah, I forgot that I set it on silent. I’m sorry, Jun. Was it very important?” I was looking up at him guiltily and judging by how he slowly lowered his hands, he was already softening up to me.

 

“Kind of…” he said. Then he turned around, motioning for his girlfriend to come over faster. I was about to wave at her but then I saw another familiar figure following behind her, making my eyes grow wide and my jaw go slack. I completely froze.

 

Do my eyes deceive me? This can’t be, right? How is it possible that Byun Baekhyun who’s not even a student here or anyone’s relative here, was permitted to get in and roam this campus? How?! I must have looked very dumb staring at him like he was some ghost because I saw his eyebrow quirk in amusement. The nearer he got, the more surreal he seemed looked.

 

There was a certain glow around him, a radiance that wasn’t too dull but not too bright either, just enough for him to stand out. This smile he had on his face was happiness in its purest form, gentle and warm. I saw my name form on his lips and finally, I blinked back into life. “Byun Baekhyun!” I blurted out, pointing my finger at him and making him laugh at my exaggerated shock over seeing him here.

 

“That is I!” He beamed, bouncing on the balls of his feet eagerly. He then chuckled and dug his hands deeper in his jeans. “Ah, I won’t even ask if I surprised you. Judging by how you were gaping at me a few minutes ago, I can tell you really were.” I scowled at that and his stupid teasing grin.

 

“Whatever! Why are you here? How did you even get in?!” Baekhyun laughed. “I’ll answer the second question first,” he said with a clap of his hands. “I really just said that I wanted to check this place out because I’m thinking of transferring here. The security didn’t really buy it at first but you know how good I can be with words so.”

 

He winked at me cockily and I rolled my eyes jokingly. “As for your first question…” he glanced at Junmyeon and Saeri for a moment, giving them a shy smile before looking away and locking eyes with me. His eyes were beautifully captivating and they held me in place, making me unable to move again, unable to blink almost. “You said you missed me so I came.”

 

There is a sudden twinkle in his eyes, his pupils dilating. I bite down hard on my bottom lip. A sudden warmth is spreading all over my body and I couldn’t help but feel shy as well. I let out this uncharacteristic giggle that made the couple exchange weird looks, having not seen me like this before. I snapped back to my sense when I realized that Junmyeon and Saeri were actually still here.

 

With a shake of my head, I turned to Saeri and said, “Uhh… S-Saeri, don’t you have a class in five minutes?” the girl quickly checked her watch and glanced at Junmyeon. “Oh, she’s right! I have to get going!” Saeri waved goodbye, both to Baekhyun and I before turning to Junmyeon.

 

She pouted slightly and tipped her head to the direction of her classroom’s building. The guy didn’t hesitate nodding at her silent request and grabbed her hand right away. “I’ll take her there.” I flashed Junmyeon a crooked smile and mumbled out an apology for not picking up his call one more time.

 

He shook his head at me then he suddenly turned to Baekhyun with a wide grin. “She’s all yours now, buddy.” I widened my eyes at him as a threat but he only snickered back at me, waving quickly before finally turning and leaving.

 

Indeed then I was left with alone Byun Baekhyun, his presence suddenly even more overwhelming now that I had nothing else to focus on but him (not that I was focusing on the other two anyway). He was smiling at me, eyes darting around my face. He let out a big sigh as he reached out to cup my cheeks. He brought my face several centimeters closer to his, making my eyes bulge out.

 

I almost dropped my milk tea. His wide grin became much softer as his eyes roamed around my face again. “Is it just me or have you gotten much, much prettier?” I gulped at that, quickly lowering my head and swatting his hands off my now burning cheeks. “Stop embarrassing me, Baekhyun!” I said, pouting just before I took a sip of my drink to cool myself down.

 

He’s shaking his head fondly at me, putting an arm over my shoulder and standing next to me as he said, “Watching you drink that makes me want to have one too.” He nudged me with his arm and stirred me to the cafeteria, smiling way too brightly as he asked me how my day went so far.

 

 

Wednesday

 

I am on my period today so I’m very irritable. Jongdae borrowed my eraser thrice just a few minutes ago and I ended up snapping at him, telling him not to give it back to me if he was going to keep borrowing it anyway. He looked like he was going to cry and Minseok had to step in to calm both of us down.

 

“You’re so scary when it’s the first day of your period. You almost made a grown man cry!” He told me, cradling Jongdae’s head on his chest. I scowled, aggressively highlighting my notes as I grumbled back, “He hasn’t grown. He’s only 5’5” anyways.” Mira burst out laughing while the two guys gaped at me, extremely offended.

 

“ you! I’m 5’8” and I’m the same height as your man! Who’re you calling short when you’re the size of a rice grain!” Jongdae actually stood up as he said this and I ended up doing the same. “I’m a girl! I’m supposed to be short because it’s cute that way!” I had no idea what my logic was but it didn’t matter because the incoming heated argument was interrupted by the group’s tallest, Park Chanyeol.

 

He had a frown on his lips, an entire basket of chocolates in his hand. I lit up at the sight of it and smiled almost immediately when he dropped it on our table. “Since your being such a child, here’s some dark chocolates to shut you up,” he grumbled just as he made a space for himself between Minseok and Jongdae.

 

I felt like I had tears in my eyes when I heard him say these were dark chocolates, my absolute favorite kind. I jumped excitedly on my spot and clapped my hands like the child he says I am. “Thank you so much for these, Chanyeol! You’re the best,” I chirped, quickly reaching for my first bar.

 

“Woah, are you psychic or something? How’d you know she was craving these?” Mira said, sneakily reaching into the basket as well. I shot her a glare immediately, making her withdraw her hand and pout. Chanyeol only sighed. “Do you seriously think I would get this little brat these many chocolates? In something as cheesy as a basket with pink ribbons and lace?”

 

He threw me a pink envelope with a scowl on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter