fin.

mirror mirror
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Jaemin, stop spying on the human." 

The brunette ignored his best friend and continued to stare, his normally blue irises gaining hues of pink and red that made Jeno roll his eyes for the nth time at such a sad excuse for a cupid; crushing on a human he’s never even met. For some reason unknown to the both of them, someone on earth had ended up with a scrying mirror—specifically, the other half of Jaemin's set that he thought was just misplaced. He didn't think it would be sent to earth, of all places, and especially not in the room of one Mark Lee. 

"But Jeno, look!" The cupid said with a wide smile, gesturing towards the large oval mirror in his room. It showed a clear view of Mark’s room, or at least part of it—his bed was among the space seen from the mirror along with a desk and closet, where his uniform and name tag hung. The oval shape must have been transformed to a full length one to show so much space. Jaemin shook his head in mock disappointment at the sight of the boy still underneath his blankets. ”He’s still asleep. He'll be late for school. This doesn’t usually happen.” 

At the slightly worried tone, Jeno sighed, "you are not going through the mirror to wake him up, Nana." 

"Come on,” Jaemin rolled his eyes, but still kept his focus on the mirror. ”Of course I know that. I won't meddle in his life without a job slip. Watching him from here is enough. Besides, I don’t even think I have enough capabilities to travel through mirrors on my own yet.” 

“Good. You shouldn't be watching him at all, we have a job to do with that Jeon guy somewhere else. His job slip came in this morning, apparently his soulmate will be attending the same concert as him tonight.” 

At that, Jeno waved a hand in front of the mirror and to his friend's annoyance, the image of the sleeping human boy was gone. Instead Jaemin was met with his own face, no longer shocked by the telltale colour of his eyes that showed his feelings ever since it started happening a few days after he discovered Mark Lee. The human was just so fun to watch, plus he was easy on the eyes, and Jaemin was never one to ignore beauty no matter the form. 

He glanced at his best friend, who was also admittedly handsome even among the cupids and other children of Aphrodite, and found himself wondering just what was it about Mark that attracted him even when Lee Jeno was around. Jaemin figured it must have been the thrill of the impossible. He was a human, after all, it’s not like they were ever going to interact apart from when it’s Mark’s turn to fall in love; even then, he might not be the cupid assigned. He was a little whimsical like that.

“Fine, just control other people’s mirrors then,” Jaemin said with a pout, turning to his friend who began to work on the mirror some more to direct them towards their target. “I get it, you’re good with magic, no need to rub it in.”

Jeno smirked, “I bet I can travel through your mirror if I tried, too.”

At that, the brunette visibly perked up with the widest of grins, which made Jeno realize that he probably shouldn’t have said that. The last thing he wanted to do was place ideas into Jaemin’s head. The cupid was notorious for being the most persuasive and charming of the bunch; once Jaemin wanted something, he got it, no questions asked. Jeno definitely didn’t like the way Jaemin’s eyes shone. It was way too late.

“Jeno,” Jaemin began to say, voice sweet.

“No,” came the immediate reply.

Another pout graced the other boy’s lips, but this time more controlled and careful. He knew what he was doing as he looked up at Jeno, his blue eyes pleading. Jeno wanted to look away, but the thing with being a full fledged cupid like Jaemin was that he was hard to ignore. Literally. Each cupid had their own little quirk; if Jeno got more magic and scrying skills, Jaemin definitely got more charmspeak that could get people to do his bidding. It wasn’t supposed to work so much on Jeno, but it always did.

“Let’s visit his realm,” he said, jutting his lower lip out further. “Please? Just for a day! It’ll be fun.”

“Do you want Taeyong to scold us again? Remember the last time we tried to jump realms without permission and almost brought that hybrid cow home—“ 

Rather than be scared by the memory, Jaemin merely laughed, “that was fun! Let’s do it again.”

Jeno frowned, “you’re not seeing my point here, Nana.”

“I am,” the brunette stated simply, already sure that Jeno was going to agree eventually judging by how the other boy’s words wavered a little bit. He amped up the persuasion in his voice, masking it with a sense of certainty that was hard to disagree with. “We’re already heading to earth for the job anyway, plus aren’t they in the same country? Let’s just drop by Mark’s area for a while when we’re done. We don’t need to end up inside his house.” 

“Definitely not seeing my point.”

 

 

Mark Lee had lived a pretty good 19 years so far, content and happy. He had what most would consider a simple life with everything he needed. A loving family, a house to stay in, food on the table, education, all the basics. He didn’t think there was anything else he needed, even if his wrists were bare. Well, to put more emphasis, only his wrists were bare. Among his family and  friends, he was the only one who doesn’t have his soulmark appear at the normal age of 18. Those who knew often gave him pitying looks, but Mark paid them no mind.

There were only very few records of people who didn’t have their soulmarks appear on time; some don’t ever appear, but these were even rarer. He still had a small tinge of hope that his was just late, somehow, although in the one year he spent having to explain to people that yes, his wrists were bare and no, he doesn’t know why, Mark had managed to slowly consider that maybe his really will stay empty.

That was, until he woke up one morning with a searing pain on his wrist.

His first instinct was, of course, to call up his best friend. Regardless of whether the other boy must be at school already; the realization that he was late to school at that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter